Author Topic: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- No time to rest yet, I will hold this one on high  (Read 54158 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- No 5 delivered with stunning consistency...
« Reply #280 on: February 19, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »
Its a weird stunning breathtaking genius strange perfect album.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :laugh:

Offline Ruba

« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2013, 01:08:09 AM »
:letam: :2metal: :metal

A great album. Screaming In Digital is a top 5 QR song. I love how Geoff duets with himself. It has one of the best guitar solos, ever. By anyone.

And Gonna Get Close To You is awesome. No matter what you say.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #282 on: February 20, 2013, 02:53:58 AM »
Its a weird stunning breathtaking genius strange perfect album.

That's what I was trying to say  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #283 on: February 20, 2013, 02:55:05 AM »
:letam: :2metal: :metal

A great album. Screaming In Digital is a top 5 QR song. I love how Geoff duets with himself. It has one of the best guitar solos, ever. By anyone.

And Gonna Get Close To You is awesome. No matter what you say.

No arguments from me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: February 20, 2013, 03:00:57 AM »
I could do without GGCTY, but it doesn't hurt the album too much.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #285 on: February 20, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »
And now we start to get a bit predictable...  :biggrin:

4 Scenes from A Memory (1999)

Ah, the lack of DT is now addressed. Not much too say that hasn't been said a million times. After Awake didn't really set me alight, and I wasn't overly impressed with half of FII, it was with much trepidation I put this in the player. I needn't have worried; DT was back. When I played the first Liquid Tension cd I was kinda hoping that DT would tap up Jordan and this album justified the decision- he's a monster. I love the story but any concept album has to be judged on the songs, and there is no problem there. The performances speak for themselves. This was DT re-energised and inspired. It also saved them from becoming Queensryche in my eyes. Only one sub-par album followed this one and several pushed it close (6DOIT, ADTOE, 8V, BC&SL) but just for saving the band in my eyes SFAM gets the nod.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #286 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »
And now we start to get a bit predictable...  :biggrin:

4 Scenes from A Memory (1999)

Ah, the lack of DT is now addressed. Not much too say that hasn't been said a million times. After Awake didn't really set me alight, and I wasn't overly impressed with half of FII, it was with much trepidation I put this in the player. I needn't have worried; DT was back. When I played the first Liquid Tension cd I was kinda hoping that DT would tap up Jordan and this album justified the decision- he's a monster. I love the story but any concept album has to be judged on the songs, and there is no problem there. The performances speak for themselves. This was DT re-energised and inspired. It also saved them from becoming Queensryche in my eyes. Only one sub-par album followed this one and several pushed it close (6DOIT, ADTOE, 8V, BC&SL) but just for saving the band in my eyes SFAM gets the nod.

Naturally, this is an excellent choice.   ;D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Regarding "Rage For Order"  It's an album I tried very hard to like, similar in that way to "Promised Land"   I tried hard to like both of them because so many of my fellow fans speak so highly of them.  I just.....don't care for them.  In fact, when it comes to Queensryche, I really only like "Operation: Mindcrime" and "Empire"  I can take or leave the rest of their catalog.  Mostly leave.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Can't argue with Scenes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Can't argue with Scenes.

Yep. Predictable or not, it well deserves the spot. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

3 A Farewell To Kings (1977)

Back in the op I mentioned a friend's brother telling me I was ready- and it was for this album. It was completely different to anything I'd ever heard at that point. The music and lyrics were conjuring images in my head- in glorious technicolour. I still get chills listening to this album. The epics are there, but the lesser lauded lights are great too. Those drums... air drum heaven. The bass kicks your arse. And I named my son Alex after Mr Lifeson- I can't think of a higher compliment than that. OK the first choice was Yngwie but my other half wouldn't go with that!

Best tracks- All of it, but AFTK, Xanadu and Cygnus are god tier good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not my favourite Rush, but an amazing album nevertheless.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Ruba

And props for mentioning Cygnus X-1. Hugely underrated song.

Offline Lowdz

Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- A beacon in the darkness
« Reply #294 on: February 22, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »
Ok, let's wrap this up. I can't split these two albums, so I'm not going to.

1=Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (1988)

I've bought this album so many times- that's how good it is. I have it on vinyl, cassette, cd, video twice- the remaster, the remaster with bonus dvd and live album, a 10 inch sampler ep, not to mention replacing lost and gifted copies. That's how good this album is. RFO was great but this follow up beats it  on the songs. I love the mix of clean and dirty guitars and how they interact, which Tateryche have forgotten. Geoff ruled in these days - what a voice. There are so many moments of genius here- the choirs in SSM, in fact the whole of SSM, the heavy breathing in the middle of TNL, the collage in the intro to EOAS, but the songs are winners. Anarchy X/Revolution Calling cannot be separated like Priest's Hellion/Electric Eye. And the sequel? Never happened. Not in my world. Geoff and Susan Tate be damned. And Mary? X did it.

Best tracks- Anarchy X/Revolution Calling, Suite Sister Mary, The Needle Lies, Breaking The Silence, I Don't Believe In Love, Eyes Of A Stranger

1=Images & Words (1992)

Another needing no introduction or explanation. I bought WDADU on import after reading a review saying it was Rush meets Metallica (despite not being a Metallica fan), with a drummer as good as Peart and a guitarist better than Yngwie. I loved the album and played it to death. Then nothing. Years later I was in a pub and the dj played two songs that stunned me. I saw him in the toilet a few minutes later (purely by coincidence!) and asked who those two tracks were by, not even realising they were one band, and the rest is history. The songs were PMU and Another Day. What a difference those few years had made, and not just with the new singer (who was all kinds of awesome). WDADU had pisspoor production but this album sparkled.

Best tracks- Another Day, Surrounded, Take The Time, Metropolis, Learning To Live

Offline countoftuscany42

Re: Lowdz' Top 50 albums- No time to rest yet, I will hold this one on high
« Reply #295 on: February 22, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

basically i approve  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #296 on: February 22, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
Great finish. I should probably relisten O:M sometime soon, but I remember it being pretty cool. And I&W is always a welcome addition.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #297 on: February 22, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
I&W :tup

Great finish. I should probably relisten O:M sometime soon, but I remember it being pretty cool.

I think it really helps if you're older and remember it coming out at that period in music. I mean, I have the album and think it's good, but I can never rank it that highly, since I have grown up listening to other (and more importantly) newer music, that took the likes of Queensr˙che as an influence.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #298 on: February 22, 2013, 02:44:44 PM »
I&W :tup

Great finish. I should probably relisten O:M sometime soon, but I remember it being pretty cool.

I think it really helps if you're older and remember it coming out at that period in music. I mean, I have the album and think it's good, but I can never rank it that highly, since I have grown up listening to other (and more importantly) newer music, that took the likes of Queensr˙che as an influence.

Yeah, most of the albums in my top 50 should be viewed that way. It's been a pretty autobiographical journey- I've lived with these albums for up to 30 years (god that's a scary thought) and there's so much history associated with listening to them- memories that are triggered by hearing certain tracks- it becomes more than just how great these albums are.

If I do a v2 it will be along the lines of Chad's (incomplete) v2- more modern albums... we'll see.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: February 22, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
Fantastic job with the list. O:M is my number 1 as well. I & W is top five, so great finish.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: February 22, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
I highly approve of both these number 1's.

Lowdz, incredible list.  :hefdaddy

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #301 on: February 22, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
Cheers gents. Enjoyed it. Hope I've brought to light some bands people may not have heard.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #302 on: February 22, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »
If I do a v2 it will be along the lines of Chad's (incomplete) v2- more modern albums... we'll see.
Needless to say, we will all read that one as well if you ever decide to do it :tup

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #303 on: February 22, 2013, 07:31:53 PM »
Great conclusion with the best prog metal cds of the 80s and 90s.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #304 on: February 22, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »
Lowdz'    Operation Mindcrime is brilliant.  I remember some dude putting it on at a party and I didn't know it was out yet and I had to have it the next day.  What can I say about I&W?! 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #305 on: February 23, 2013, 03:59:16 AM »
Nice number ones.  ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #306 on: February 23, 2013, 06:27:59 AM »
I approve!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #307 on: February 24, 2013, 07:02:31 AM »
Excellent choices! While I don't care as much about O:M as the majority does, Suite Sister Mary is one of my top 5 QR songs, and I&W is golden.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #308 on: February 24, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »
Thanks for your input everyone. I enjoyed it. Just hope I didn't miss anything..!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #309 on: February 25, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
O:M is a great choice!  It's one of those albums that once you put it on you have to listen to the whole thing.  It works as a cohesive whole, the story builds, and the music builds, and it's nearly flawless.  Surprisingly, I think the most flawed/least perfect song is Eyes of a Stranger, which doesn't seem to be the popular opinion.

While I have the opportunity, has anyone brought up before how Pull Me Under sounds a lot like The Mission?  I mean, you made it too perfect not to discuss.  I can't be the only one who has noticed the similarity.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #310 on: February 25, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
The gold standard of all albums and the gold standard of concept albums share #1?  I think I can live with that.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Regarding "Rage For Order"  It's an album I tried very hard to like, similar in that way to "Promised Land"   I tried hard to like both of them because so many of my fellow fans speak so highly of them.  I just.....don't care for them.  In fact, when it comes to Queensryche, I really only like "Operation: Mindcrime" and "Empire"  I can take or leave the rest of their catalog.  Mostly leave.
Not even Warning? That's a great album.

I'm with you on Promised Land. SO overrated. Rage has aged very nicely though.

Lowdz, great list. I'm so sorry I couldn't participate. Been freaking crazy at work. Plus I was on vacation last week. When I get a chance I will try and read through the entire thread.
Great job, buddy!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol