Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73521 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush Live - R40/R41 Tour Starting In SPRING 2015!!!
« Reply #315 on: October 24, 2014, 04:26:03 PM »
I'm a little confused.  I though it was going to be called the 41st anniversary tour?!  Since 2015 is 41 years and were know their humor. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #316 on: October 24, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
I always thought anniversary was the year after a certain event happens. (Ex. after Neil joined the band and they stuck it together, they could have done a one-year anniversary tour in 1975).  With that logic, 2015 is their 40th anniversary, their 41st year as a band.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #317 on: October 24, 2014, 05:10:01 PM »
Nobody uses that logic though. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #318 on: October 24, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
Do we have the tour dates yet? I'm hoping for a show in Raleigh or Charlotte. I'd love to at least be able to see Rush a second time before they hang it up! :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #319 on: October 24, 2014, 10:21:58 PM »
Of course I'll end up travelling for them, but Allentown just built a new arena, and it's been my fondest hope they end up with a date there.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #320 on: October 26, 2014, 09:14:41 AM »
Of course I'll end up travelling for them, but Allentown just built a new arena, and it's been my fondest hope they end up with a date there.

I suspect there's a decent chance of that happening if Philly/Camden are left off the itinerary during one of the legs. Very possible.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #321 on: October 27, 2014, 12:18:43 PM »
Great news about the tour.  I know most will disagree with me, but would love to hear more 70's than the 80's.  Some have said that Geddy cannot hit the vocal notes on those songs.  Who cares, it is all about the music. ;D 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #322 on: October 27, 2014, 01:08:32 PM »
Personally, I'd love to see more of the unplayed 90's and 00's material, especially from Presto, Roll The Bones, Test For Echo and Vapor Trails. We know Geddy's voice isn't what it used to be, and I think the newer material suits him better now. Heck, even more 80's stuff would be great as there are still a ton of songs from GUP and HYF they could play live for the the first time in years.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #323 on: October 27, 2014, 01:17:31 PM »
They definitely need to dig deeper into HYF, which has only seen three songs played since the HYF tour.  Prime Mover or Turn the Page need to come back, or play Open Secrets finally.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #324 on: October 27, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
They definitely need to dig deeper into HYF, which has only seen three songs played since the HYF tour.  Prime Mover or Turn the Page need to come back, or play Open Secrets finally.

Definitely, all of this, plus break out "Lock And Key" again, with an extended drum solo at the end where Neil can just go wild.

Also, just bring out "Available Light". I think it would sound great as a closer for the first set, to be honest, if anywhere.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #325 on: October 27, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »
I love Available Light.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #326 on: October 27, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
Personally, I'd love to see more of the unplayed 90's and 00's material, especially from Presto, Roll The Bones, Test For Echo and Vapor Trails.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #327 on: October 28, 2014, 07:23:03 AM »
As someone who's never seen Rush live and likes pretty much all their albums, I'd be happy to see them play anything, but considering Geddy's voice these days I agree it'd be wise to concentrate on post-70s material.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #328 on: October 29, 2014, 06:30:46 PM »
As someone who's never seen Rush live and likes pretty much all their albums, I'd be happy to see them play anything, but considering Geddy's voice these days I agree it'd be wise to concentrate on post-70s material.

Hoping you get to see Rush someday.  I am fairly new to Rush and my first concert was Time Machine and then attended the Clockwork Angels tour, both in Nashville Tennessee.  I see you are from Finland.  The band I am into now is Beardfish from Sweden.  Would love to see them and Haken, but not much chance Beardfish will come to the Southeast US.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush Live - R41 Tour? And The Future Of Live Rush!
« Reply #329 on: October 30, 2014, 06:33:22 AM »
There's a few goodies to be sure, but why repackage their most recent DVDs?  I'd take a late 70's full show, or the Moving Pictures full show.  This looks like a typical soakage of their fans.

Ha..I may actually get the R40 set. I only have the Rush In Rio DVD, so I don't have everything else. Maybe on my Christmas list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »

Hoping you get to see Rush someday.  I am fairly new to Rush and my first concert was Time Machine and then attended the Clockwork Angels tour, both in Nashville Tennessee.  I see you are from Finland.  The band I am into now is Beardfish from Sweden.  Would love to see them and Haken, but not much chance Beardfish will come to the Southeast US.
Yeah, Rush played in Helsinki last year, but I hadn't heard any of the albums between Moving Pictures and Clockwork Angels yet and didn't go. In hindsight I wish I had gone, but at least next time I'll know and enjoy every song! I hope at least Mystic Rhythms and Xanadu will be played.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #331 on: November 02, 2014, 12:23:50 PM »
I love Available Light.

I would freak if they ever played that.
Maybe it comes down to Geddy being confident to attempt it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #332 on: November 02, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »
I love Available Light.

I would freak if they ever played that.
Maybe it comes down to Geddy being confident to attempt it.

I would also freak.  Absolutely KILLER song.   But there is one reason I don't believe we will ever hear it.   It's no secret that Geddy has been struggling more and more with high notes as the years go on.   The high note in the chorus is what really makes that song.    I don't think he's even tried a note that high in quite some time...not even in the studio.     And considering that not only is that note really high, but it's also at a point where the music stops and he's "on his own" acapella...  There's really nothing to cover him if he blows it.    He's probably wise to not even try.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #333 on: November 02, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »
Also because the just rarely play their ballads on stage. Halo Effect is like the one exception I remember. Available Light, Different Strings, Madrigal, etc etc haven't been played at all.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #334 on: November 03, 2014, 12:05:31 PM »
Agreed, jammindude.  Too much room for failure, given, like you said, the several seconds of "on his own" acapella.  That could be a reason they haven't done Nobody's Hero since the 90s since that has a similar thing during the lead-in to each chorus, and he even struggled with that a bit in '94 and '96/'97.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The R40 Tour (and possibly their last major tour...)
« Reply #335 on: November 01, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »
It has been just about one year since the last post in this thread, but with the close release of the upcoming and amazingly quick-turnaround-release of the R40 Live album and video, I figured I'd finally update this thread at least one more time.

So, after the rousing success of the Clockwork Angels Tour, with the band's first mini-string orchestra performing with them for most of the 2nd set, what could the band do to top that on their next tour? With no new material on the board, they decided to pull out a lot of songs they hadn't played in a VERY long time, and I mean a long Long LONG time. When the setlists began pouring in from the first dozen shows (which had a lot of variation as they went on), there was a lot of talk about the song selection. I cannot imagine being anyone seeing them in the middle or end of that tour and trying to avoid setlist spoilers on the internet because they were EVERYWHERE and even if you glimpsed at a tour review headline, you were probably spoiled by citations of "Jacob's Ladder" or "What You're Doing".

Fans, critics, reviewers, music columnists, and everyone in-between, were all very excited about this tour, especially with the looming notion that this was likely their last major tour...EVER! So in celebration of their long 40+ year career, the band decided to take the concept to the stage and live it all again, by changing the stage as their songs went back in time, an amazing visual treat for fans who saw them, and a trip down memory lane the band as well as the audience.

The idea of playing a set in chronological order (forward or reverse) isn't new, but to invite the stage design into that concept was something quite interesting, and I applaud the band for doing something so fresh and bold, especially to end the show with amps on chairs and nothing by their hands and instruments around them! Also, can I just add that the "new" old drum kit DW made for Neil Peart?! WHO ELSE WAS EXCITED TO SEE THAT?!? THOSE CONCERT TOMS?! THOSE CHIMES?!? THE WHOLE THING!!!!

...I was. I never thought Neil would play a double-bass kit with Rush ever again, or have concert toms, or anything like that from before the Roll The Bones Tour. And to bring out the kit for only half a show...what dedication! Especially to learn all of the 2nd half of the show on the old kit...what a guy, what a guy! And then Geddy AND Alex bringing out the double-necks for "Xanadu"!!!!! Although I still find it sad that the ending of the song wasn't played the way it was on the studio album... I miss that little part with the snare rolls and the bells...AH well.

From the Power Windows fan site:
Rush's R40 Tour celebrated their 40th Anniversary with a unique setlist which traveled backward through time. Beginning with the opening song, the setlist covered their entire career from Clockwork Angels back to their bar days, finishing with a brief teaser of "Garden Road". As the show progressed backward in time, the stage props and video backdrops also "devolved" to coincide with the songs being played. Beginning with the sets used on the Clockwork Angels tour, they were later replaced with the dryers used on the Vapor Trails and R30 tours, followed by the backline used on the Test For Echo tour, and so on. (The Snakes & Arrows chicken roasters were not included in the props). During the second set, the R40 drum kit was replaced with a retro kit dubbed "El Darko" which featured double bass drums, tubular bells, and more throwbacks to an earlier time.

Alex Lifeson confirmed "We've got three sets - A, B, C" which featured alternating songs from the same respective albums. Set A included "Red Barchetta," "Distant Early Warning," "One Little Victory," and "Clockwork Angels"; those songs were replaced in Set B with their respective album-mates "The Camera Eye," "Between The Wheels," "How It Is," and "The Wreckers". Set C was nearly the same as A, except "YYZ" replaced "Red Barchetta," and "Natural Science" was added as a bonus track (without replacing another song). During five shows of the tour, the Clockwork Angels alternate track was dropped to make room for Signals' "Losing It" (click for details).

Digging deep for these setlists, "Losing It" and "How It Is" were performed for the first time ever, and while most of the songs from the first half of the show had been performed on relatively recent tours, many of those performed after the intermission had not been performed in decades: "Jacob's Ladder" was last played in 1980; "Hemispheres: Prelude" in 1994; "Cygnus X-1: Part 3" in 1980 ("Prologue" was played in 2002); "Lakeside Park" in 1978; and "What You're Doing" in 1977. Closing out the show was a teaser of "Garden Road", an unreleased original song last performed on tour in 1974. Albums not represented on this tour were Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto and Test for Echo.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Just like last tour with the Clockwork Angels live album, we are once again treated to a whole show along with alternate-night bonus tracks! This is quite a treat to be able to see and hear all of the songs performed on the tour, and what a set list selection this tour had!

Disc 1 - ??:??
The World is .. The World is ... (Intro)
The Anarchist
Headlong Flight/Drumbastica
Far Cry
The Main Monkey Business
How It Is
Animate
Roll The Bones
Between The Wheels
Losing It (with Ben Mink)
Subdivisions

Disc 2 - ??:??
Tom Sawyer
YYZ
The Spirit Of Radio
Natural Science
Jacob's Ladder
Hemispheres: Prelude
Cygnus X-1 [Prologue/The Story So Far (drum solo)/Part 3]
Closer To The Heart
Xanadu
2112 [Parts I, II, IV and VII]

Disc 3 - ??:??
Mel's Rockpile (with Eugene Levy) (Intro)
Lakeside Park/Anthem
What You're Doing/Working Man
--------Bonus Tracks--------
One Little Victory
Distant Early Warning
Red Barchetta
Clockwork Angels
The Wreckers
The Camera Eye
Losing It (with Jonathan Dinklage)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

What a treat this official release is! SEVEN bonus tracks on the CD, including an alternate version of "Losing It", the VIP song of the tour, performed only FIVE times, so we've got two of the five officially released!!! On top of that, we get the six songs that were swapped in and out of the sets this tour.

Sadly enough, as mentioned above, no songs from TFE, Presto, HYF or POW were performed, though I can forgive the last one because we got SO MUCH POW-love on the last tour, and in the last 15 years, they've played all but one of the songs from that album live, so we've got a fairly good representation of the album since the VT tour. But there was such a missed opportunity to pull out some hidden gems from the other three albums.

Still, what we DID get from the show's second set makes up for those missed chances, because getting to hear half of Permanent Waves in one go is surely an amazing thing of beauty. Between that and four songs from MP, as well as half of AFTK and the Prelude from "Hemispheres", there's a TON of that golden-era Rush here, as well as the longest version of "2112" since the full version was played on the TFE tour in 97. In fact, the whole second disc of this set will likely get a LOT of spins once I get this in the mail. I mean, just LOOK at that set!!! I am almost tempted to take the whole show and "mix in" the bonus tracks into their proper chronological places (OLV after HII, DEW after BTW, TS/RB/YYZ/TCE, and the other CA songs somewhere in the beginning).

Anyways, hopefully this isn't the last time I ever update this thread. I know a lot of European fans wished the band had brought this show across seas, but that now seems unlikely as the band have taken time off since the tour ended a couple of months ago. The future isn't clear, but you can bet I hope there will be another tour somewhere down the line, and when that comes, I won't miss it like I did with this tour.

-Marc.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #336 on: November 02, 2015, 05:28:23 AM »
While I'm more than disappointed they didn't bring this show over here to Europe (Surely we deserved it?), I for one can't wait to get my grubby mits on the DVD...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #337 on: November 03, 2015, 12:15:49 PM »
While I'm more than disappointed they didn't bring this show over here to Europe (Surely we deserved it?), I for one can't wait to get my grubby mits on the DVD...

I live in America and I missed my chance to see them live, so I'm just as pumped to get my hands on the BR/3CD set I pre-ordered!

-Marc.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: November 03, 2015, 08:07:46 PM »
no songs from TFE, Presto, HYF or POW were performed

The lack of material from the 80's and 90's really hurts the set IMHO.  I'll of course still buy the damn thing though. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #339 on: November 03, 2015, 10:20:02 PM »
no songs from TFE, Presto, HYF or POW were performed

The lack of material from the 80's and 90's really hurts the set IMHO.  I'll of course still buy the damn thing though.

I can understand the lack of Power Windows but I was disappointed with the absence of Presto and Test For Echo, in particular. But, other than that, I like the set. Looking forward to the DVD.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #340 on: November 03, 2015, 11:35:22 PM »
I think that since there is probably a general consensus that Presto, Test For Echo, and Hold Your Fire is among the lesser acclaimed Rush albums, the guys probably felt that it would not be the best representation of themselves.  Though I would have liked something like Driven or Half the World.  You replace Far Cry or One Little Victory with either of those and I think it would have fit well in the middle part of the 1st set.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: November 04, 2015, 01:13:50 AM »
I'm surprised Limelight wasn't included.  That song is usually a given

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #343 on: November 06, 2015, 12:51:36 PM »
I think there is a rational explanation for the omission that lets the band off the hook pretty solidly:

-  they've been pretty heavily criticized by the fan base that they "don't play enough old stuff"
-  the Clockwork Angels live set had a whole disk of stuff from Signals forward, plus a second of all of Clockwork Angels
-  as it is, the set is what, 2.5 hours long
-  they gave a little leeway on the "new" to those songs that haven't been played to death on recent tours
-  and otherwise, you got a freaking Christmas morning of gifts on the second and third disks.

If the biggest crime of this set is there isn't another version of "Big Money" (a song I love, by the way), well, I chalk that up as a win.  And for the record, Presto is in my top three Rush albums.  I love it, but after the rest of that set, hoping for War Paint or Superconductor is just being greedy.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: November 06, 2015, 01:38:46 PM »
I think there is a rational explanation for the omission that lets the band off the hook pretty solidly:

-  they've been pretty heavily criticized by the fan base that they "don't play enough old stuff"
-  the Clockwork Angels live set had a whole disk of stuff from Signals forward, plus a second of all of Clockwork Angels
-  they gave a little leeway on the "new" to those songs that haven't been played to death on recent tours
-  and otherwise, you got a freaking Christmas morning of gifts on the second and third disks.

If the biggest crime of this set is there isn't another version of "Big Money" (a song I love, by the way), well, I chalk that up as a win. 

:iagree:

with everything in that post.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #345 on: November 06, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »

If the biggest crime of this set is there isn't another version of "Big Money" (a song I love, by the way), well, I chalk that up as a win.  And for the record, Presto is in my top three Rush albums.  I love it, but after the rest of that set, hoping for War Paint or Superconductor is just being greedy.

I love Presto too, but hoping for War Paint is just..silly.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #346 on: November 19, 2015, 05:07:12 AM »
How was Geddy's vocal performance on this tour overall? On the Tom Sawyer clip it's so bad that it distracts me from enjoying the song.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2015, 05:09:31 AM »
How was Geddy's vocal performance on this tour?

Stellar.  Best it's been in a while, imo.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #348 on: November 19, 2015, 05:58:52 AM »
I agree with TAC on your wishes for War Paint or Stupidconductor, and it'd be a pipe dream for Geddy to manage to do Available Light. But, it would've been nice to have something from Presto - so many songs from that album never played live. And IMO it is completely inexcusable that they played Animate AGAIN and skipped over Cut to the Chase, a song that many fans have been dying to hear from their more recent albums. The excuse that they didn't do anything from HYF for the same reason they didn't do anything from PoW is lame too. I totally get not including anything from PoW this time around, but something other than Force 10, Time Stand Still or Mission could have been a great inclusion, especially given that only one song from that album has been played on any given tour for umpteen years now. And while it's by no means my favorite album, something from T4E should've been included, as long as it wasn't The Color of Right or especially Dog Years or Viruality.

I am grateful for what they did do, and I enjoyed the show immensely, especially as I was fortunate enough to see Losing It, but still disappointed at all the other choices lost, perhaps forever if they stop performing live completely.

How was Geddy's vocal performance on this tour overall? On the Tom Sawyer clip it's so bad that it distracts me from enjoying the song.
While his voice is nowhere near what it used to be, overall I haven't had a problem with it like you and others have, including the clips they've released from R40 Live. However, when I did see them in LA, I was genuinely concerned that he might not make it through the show, right as it started! To me, it really seemed like he was struggling during the first few (ironically newer) songs, but as the show progressed, he seemed to get into more of a groove and sung much better.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: November 19, 2015, 06:01:45 AM »
@ Scotty... what would you have had them drop to make those inclusions?  I agree 100% on Animate... it's been done enough - give us something... ANYTHING else from Counterparts, ffs.