Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73333 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The "Down The Tubes" Tour (Caress Of Steel)
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »
After the release of the band's third album, Caress Of Steel, Rush embarked on yet another tour that took them across North America once more, fro September 26, 1975 to January 10, 1976. This was a relatively short tour, a couple weeks shorter than their previous tour on Fly By Night. However, this time, they had some headlining sets, with Ted Nugent, Artful Dodger, Mainline (Joe Mendelson), Heyoka, and Max Webster opening for them. They also still opened for KISS, Mott and Nazareth as well.

"We called it the 'Down The Tubes Tour', we joked about it among ourselves. By the end of the that year we were unable to pay our crew's salaries - or our own." - Neil Peart, Classic Rock, Oct. 2004

The tour was a failure, financially and popularly. Their music was slowly changing from Zeppelin-infused hard rock to something... different. It was a bit of Yes, a bit of Genesis, a bit of Led Zeppelin, and a lot of something else. They had songs reaching over 12 minutes, and expanded older tunes to greater length with added jams and solos (more so that before), like "By-Tor & The Snow Dog" which reached over 10 minutes at this point.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The only confirmed setlist is Rush's supporting set for KISS on Nov. 15, 1975; any other published setlists are false or unsubstantiated.

Before 1999, when a recording of the Nov. 15, 1975 show first began circulating, fraudulent recordings of this tour were circulated, which accordingly led to the circulation of false setlists. In addition, for many years rumors spread regarding the setlist of a rumored soundboard recording, supposedly in the possession of a Jean Weinrib, aka Geddy's cousin, of Rush headlining in Toronto on January 10, 1976. However, the existence of this recording is believed to be nonexistant and its setlist unsubstantiated, as Ian Grandy, a former member of Rush's road crew from that period, has stated that he never heard of any such cousin, and that the rumored soundboard recording does not exist.
November 15, 1975 (supporting set [note, no authentic headlining setlists have surfaced])
Bastille Day
Anthem
Lakeside Park
The Necromancer
By-Tor and the Snow Dog
Working Man->
Drum Solo
In The Mood

As stated from the Power Windows website, only one real known show exists in the bootleg circle, and it's a show from Rockford, IL, which is an opening set before KISS. It's an audience recording which goes from middle-of-the-road to somewhat-listenable. And even though "In The Mood" is listed as the encore, no recordings include the song.

However, we are treated to a FULL performance of "The Necromancer" (which would be truncated in later tours), and an extended performance of "By-Tor & The Snow Dog" - these are the highlights of the show, and luckily by then, the sound gets better. There is the usual 70's AUD noise, but there are some rowdy kids yelling and chatting between songs, but not so much during them (mostly because the band is pretty loud). It's fortunate this recording is as good as it is, especially being the only one!

Oddly enough, there's also an 8MM Video recording of this show, silent, though, but the bootleg audio has been synched up. Once again, Nick has provided this show for all to listen to:
www.nickeh.com/botm/rush1975-11-15.rar

Being such a RARE show from an otherwise under-recorded tour, this is a MUST have for bootleg collectors. Unfortunately, if there ARE any headlining show recordings, only people in or associated with the band might have them. Or some greedy collector. It's been long hypothesized that "The Fountain Of Lamneth" MAY have been played live during a headlining show, but because no authentic set list or recording has surfaced, we may never know. Also, "I Think I'm Going Bald" has been confirmed as having been played live by Ian Grandy and Skip Gildersleeve, so it seems that all of the then-new album may have been played live.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Unlegit

Re: Rush Live - The "Down The Tubes Tour" (Caress Of Steel)
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »
This tour needs more bootlegs. I'm 100% sure there is someone out there with one, but they are just not willing to share it. I'm also sure that The Fountain of Lamneth (or its parts) were played live, as was I Think I'm Going Bald. The only known bootleg actually doesn't have terrible quality, but it isn't very good. The setlist is probably the best we could have hoped for as an opening act (besides the CoS songs).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »
I'm sure the "holy grail" of Rush boots exist.   I just can't believe we can't get confirmation from one of the guys as to whether or not FoL was at least played.   I mean, it should be an easy question for SOMEONE to have asked one of them "Hey, did FoL ever get played live?"....I mean, isn't that simple enough?

Hard to believe that this simple factoid has been confirmed or denied in someway.    I wouldn't expect them to remember an entire setlist....but I would think they would remember whether or not FoL was played.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online The Letter M

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:31 PM »
I'm sure the "holy grail" of Rush boots exist.   I just can't believe we can't get confirmation from one of the guys as to whether or not FoL was at least played.   I mean, it should be an easy question for SOMEONE to have asked one of them "Hey, did FoL ever get played live?"....I mean, isn't that simple enough?

Hard to believe that this simple factoid has been confirmed or denied in someway.    I wouldn't expect them to remember an entire setlist....but I would think they would remember whether or not FoL was played.

The closest we've gotten to TFOL being played is a bit of Neil's drum solos that take parts from "Didacts And Narpets", but AFAIK, that's all.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2013, 12:24:51 AM »

I think Alex was asked this question and he said that he doesn't think it ever was for the simple reason that there were so few headlining shows during this period and that not much of the album that hasn't already been in previous sets got played.

That's obviously an answer that nobody here wants to hear, but it's all we have at the moment. They gave it the Down the Tubes tour for a reason.

The 8mm footage is not the Caress of Steel Tour and my explanation of this as to why can be found here: (Rush geek alert!)

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2395055

Might as well mention that fake Caress of Steel boot that surfaced several years before the real one did.

Finding My Way
Best I Can
Anthem
Bastille Day
The Necromancer
-Under The Shadow
-Return Of The Prince

I think that was the set. Either the tracks were studio with live noise pumped in or they were patchworked together from various other shows (can't recall).

Obviously, this didn't fool too many people after they heard it.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:35:59 PM by ytserush »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2013, 08:15:45 AM »
The 8mm footage is not the Caress of Steel Tour and my explanation of this as to why can be found here: (Rush geek alert!)

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2395055

Thanks for sharing that! Very informative and thorough! I'm glad there are Rush fans out in the world that are willing to and can do this sort of investigating! :tup

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The 2112 Tour
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
Recorded and released in less than 3 months time, 2112 launched the band to new heights, and they launched into a tour that started March 5th of 1976, and once again took them across North America til August 1st, their longest tour since their first one. They constantly toured, opening for Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, and Kansas. And when they were headlining, they had Styx, Sutherland Brothers & Quiver, Artful Dodger, Starcastle, Thin Lizzy, Max Webster, and Stu Daye opening for them.

With four albums under their belt, they had a growing catalog, now including another side-length epic, following on the heels of bands like Yes and Genesis. However, with the unexpected popularity and attention their new album gained, they managed to play longer sets, and headlined for 90 minutes, rather than playing shorter/opening sets of an hour. With the longer set times, they were able to play (most of) "2112", bring in 8 songs from their first two albums, and play more than half of their new album (of which, only "Lessons" and "Tears" are known to have not been played live by the band).

Even though only 2 bootlegs have circulated from this tour, there is the official live release in the form of All The World's A Stage. The album's tracklisting is similar to the setlist documented from the Springfield, IL show. From the Power Windows website, on the set list:

There are only two unofficial recordings of this tour in circulation; both are headlining shows, with the only difference being the placement of "In The End" in the setlist, and the encore changing from "Best I Can" to "What You're Doing". This later setlist is virtually identical to the All The World's A Stage tracklist, with the only change being that the "Fly By Night-In The Mood-Something For Nothing" medley is listed earlier in the show (inserted between "Anthem" and "Lakeside Park"), possibly to conform to album sides. The earlier show, recorded in Seattle in March of '76, was long believed by collectors to have been recorded seven months later during the All The World's A Stage Tour.

With that in mind, all I did for my 2112 Tour disc was re-order the tracks to match the set list from the Springfield show:

Rush - 2112 Tour - 79:39
(Live In Toronto, OT on 6/11-13/76)
(All The World's A Stage - Official)

Disc 1 -
 1. Bastille Day       5:12
 2. Anthem          5:09
 3. Lakeside Park       4:27
 4. 2112         16:01
 5. Fly By Night       2:06
 6. In The Mood          2:55
 7. Something For Nothing    3:57
 8. By-Tor & The Snow Dog    11:55
 9. In The End          7:20
10. Working Man          3:56
11. Finding My Way       5:13
12. Drum Solo          5:41
13. What You're Doing       5:47

(Tracks re-ordered to reflect
 known set lists of the tour)

Note - Missing "Best I Can" played
       on another night this tour

Despite most of the rest of my Live Tour CD sets having ALL of the songs played during their respective tours, this one is missing only one known other song in "Best I Can", used as an encore, as evidenced by the Seattle, WA show.

Being an official release, everything is crisp and clear, and being Rush's first official live album, you can feel and hear their intensity through everything, even the production and mix. This truly is a live album, and unlike the two that would follow, it's got a great mix of band and audience, and the famously known shout during "Bastille Day":
Mike Myers claimed that at 4:01 of "Bastille Day" on All The World's A Stage, the voice that screams out when the music abruptly stops is that of his brother who is yelling "Nighthawk!", the name of his then-current band.

The set is a pretty good mix of their four albums, except the severely under-represented Caress Of Steel, which only sees 2 songs on this tour in "Bastille Day" and "Lakeside Park". It would have been nice to have "The Necromancer" or parts of "The Fountain Of Lamneth" on this tour, but they wanted to play as much of the new album as possible, and of that, we get the opening and closing tracks. As mentioned above, we do get 4 songs each from their first two albums, and probably the best choices from them, even though most of them are in medley form (a fate that many of the songs from their first two albums would see in coming tours).

As for the performances themselves, this is a top-notch recording and the boys really cook throughout the whole show. Of course, the highlights would have to be "Bastille Day", "2112", the extended version of "By-Tor & The Snow Dog" (before it became truncated to segue into "Xanadu"), and the closing "Working Man" medley (a trend that would continue for five more years) with Neil's solo at the end.

This tour showed a growing band that had reached the top of it's game, and so, with a growing repertoire and a yearning to experiment and explore, their stage show and instruments would continue to expand and evolve. This would be the last tour Neil used his classic chrome Slingerland drums, and the next tour would see Neil's set grow, and Geddy would include Moog Taurus pedals, as well as touring Europe for the first time. They had no where to go but up from this point on!

BTW - if anyone wants to add pics/videos/stories/articles concerning the 2112 Tour, please Please PLEASE do so! I would love to read/hear what everyone has to share! :tup

-Marc.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2013, 10:17:43 PM »
I love the setlist of this tour. One of my favorite setlists that they have done. It's too bad that Rush has never played Lessons live - love that one. Still, great tour overall, but I never understood why they always took out Discovery and The Oracle from 2112.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »
I love the setlist of this tour. One of my favorite setlists that they have done. It's too bad that Rush has never played Lessons live - love that one. Still, great tour overall, but I never understood why they always took out Discovery and The Oracle from 2112.

They didn't always take out "Discovery" and in fact, usually played part of it when they did most of it. It wasn't until the Permanent Waves Tour that they took out "Discovery" in it's entirety. It is true, however, they did not ever play "The Oracle" until the Test For Echo Tour.

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2013, 12:01:08 AM »
Before I get started I just wanted to mention I fixed a mistake in that fake Caress of Steel boot track listing.

Here's the correct fake set: Mistakenly included What You're Doing and omitted Bastille Day

Finding My Way
Best I Can
Anthem
Bastille Day
The Necromancer
-Under The Shadow
-Return Of The Prince

Okay...2112 tour.  Not too much bootleg love here either, but that's okay. All The World's A Stage eliminates almost any reason to listen to a bootleg from this tour...seriously.

There are reasons why I think this is the best live album Rush has ever recorded (There are also other reasons why just about any live Rush album is best live album they've ever recorded....well except for Exit...Stage Left, but I'll address that later.) Most of the recordings that ended up on the album are among the best performances that exist over the two years as a North American act.

One thing that wasn't mentioned was that Neil/Alex improv blues jam in that Seattle show. Geddy must have been having some bass trouble that night so we get a really interesting improv jam. We're not exatly talking King Crimson here, but it's still pretty cool only because Rush doesn't deviate from the program much during the first 20 years of their career so it's always nice when they go off the board so to speak.

I'm a little surprised that the Captiol Theatre show (DVD black and white and its probably online somewhere) in Passaic, NJ when they opened for Kiss wasn't mentioned yet. It's not the video masterpiece, but it's the earliest full show (opening) that exists to this point. (Unless you want to count the Rutsey footage from the doc.)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
I'm a little surprised that the Captiol Theatre show (DVD black and white and its probably online somewhere) in Passaic, NJ when they opened for Kiss wasn't mentioned yet. It's not the video masterpiece, but it's the earliest full show (opening) that exists to this point.

Wow! I'd love to see that!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2013, 07:24:14 PM »
I'm a little surprised that the Captiol Theatre show (DVD black and white and its probably online somewhere) in Passaic, NJ when they opened for Kiss wasn't mentioned yet. It's not the video masterpiece, but it's the earliest full show (opening) that exists to this point.

I have that and it's a great show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »

I have that and it's a great show.

It's not bad. I like it more from a historical perspective than anything else.   

You can see the energy is and aggression is still largely there and you can tell what they've (Alex and Geddy) "ripped off" from Kiss's stage show at that point before they were comfortable enough to just be themselves.

Honestly, it doesn't get much viewing from me other than maybe once a year or so, but it is a valuable historical document.

Overall, there just isn't anything else during this period that touches All The World's A Stage. It's pretty much the definative live document from that period which is what it had been intended to be.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »
It's the energy, the fight they have that I'm drawn to.  They were so hungry then.  They wanted to make a point.  That's why I love it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2013, 07:02:52 AM »
Good afternoon, people. I'm checking out Rush Live for the first time today. I just don't know where to start. Can you help this youngling? :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online The Letter M

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »
Good afternoon, people. I'm checking out Rush Live for the first time today. I just don't know where to start. Can you help this youngling? :)

Are you speaking Official Live Shows, or Bootlegs? Because this thread will cover both (mostly bootlegs) so if you follow along over the next couple months, I'll get through 21 tours, each with suggested shows, both official and non-official.

And to me, each tour is special, mostly because of the set lists, but if I had to pick 3 tours that I'd say are essential, I'd pick 2112, Hemispheres, and Signals.

-Marc.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2013, 09:12:34 AM »

Are you speaking Official Live Shows, or Bootlegs? Because this thread will cover both (mostly bootlegs) so if you follow along over the next couple months, I'll get through 21 tours, each with suggested shows, both official and non-official.

And to me, each tour is special, mostly because of the set lists, but if I had to pick 3 tours that I'd say are essential, I'd pick 2112, Hemispheres, and Signals.

-Marc.

Well, to start with I would like something that sounds pretty good, so either SB bootlegs or official releases. I'll be following :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online The Letter M

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »

-Marc.

Well, to start with I would like something that sounds pretty good, so either SB bootlegs or official releases. I'll be following :)

As far as official releases, you cannot go wrong with the first four: All The World's A Stage, Exit...Stage Left, A Show Of Hands, and Different Stages. They cover the end of each of the band's first four phases, and cover a good range of their work through live shows.

-Marc.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »
I'd recommend all their lives albums up through Rush in Rio to start with. R30 is great, but it does cover a lot of material that was on the previous albums. In fact, the only new songs are Between the Wheels, Earthshine, and a few covers from Feedback. Of course, R30 Overture is just awesome. Snakes and Arrows Live is really good and has an awesome setlist, but it's also quite heavy with Snakes and Arrows songs (9 to be exact), so if you aren't a big fan of that album, I wouldn't really recommend it. Time Machine 2011 is decent, but Geddy's voice is pretty weak. I'd only get that one after getting the rest. Also, if you can get your hands on Grace Under Pressure Tour, I highly recommend that one.

Online The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The All The World's A Stage Tour
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2013, 10:27:15 PM »
With their first live album under their belts, the boys decided to tour on the occasion, and embarked on a tour that would last August 8, 1976, all the way to June 13, 1977.

Opened for: Ted Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Montrose, Foghat
Opening Bands: Styx, Tommy Bolin, Cheap Trick, Stray, Head East, Be-Bop Deluxe, Artful Dodger, Starcastle, Max Webster, Angel, Rex, Rick Derringer

They continued to tour with many of the same bands they had, while still doing opening and headlining sets. The setlists varied from show to show, as seen in the 13 known dates with bootlegs. Eric of Power Windows notes:
This tour marked the first time Rush toured Europe, and also the addition of keyboards and Moog Taurus pedals. It is believed to be the last tour they regularly varied their setlist from show to show, day to day, with the exception of the Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels tours (note: beginning with the Power Windows tour and continuing through the Test For Echo tour, Rush would "fine tune" the setlist during the first few dates of the tour before settling on a final setlist).

This tour would also mark the first known performances of "The Twilight Zone", as well as early versions of "Xanadu". Also, "The Necromancer" (at least, the last two sections) were brought back as a medley with "By-Tor & The Snow Dog".

For my compilation of this tour, I did a bit more work than I had done with any other tour's live set. The bulk of my show comes from "Capitol Punishment", recorded in Washington DC, US on 4/17/77. Thanks to Nick, you can download this show here:
www.nickeh.com/botm/rush1977-04-17.rar

All The World's A Stage Tour - 106:07
(Live In washington DC, US on 4/17/77)
(Capitol Punishment - AUD)

Disc 1 - 50:56
 1. Bastille Day*       4:58
 2. Anthem*          5:03
 3. Lakeside Park*       4:00
 4. 2112*         19:11
 5. Xanadu*         10:33
 6. Twilight Zone       3:24
 7. Something For Nothing    3:47

Disc 2 - 55:11
 1. By-Tor & The Snow Dog*   12:07
 2. The Necromancer*       6:24
 3. In The End          7:26
 4. Working Man          3:52
 5. Finding My Way        5:11
 6. Drum Solo           5:07
 7. Fly By Night        2:04
 8. In The Mood        3:44
 9. What You're Doing        5:47
10. Best I Can           3:29

*(Live In Manchester, UK on 6/2/77)
 (Hallowed Eth - AUD)

Note: Bastille Day's ending/Anthem's
      intro from Seattle Night - AUD

As noted above, several tracks at the beginning of each disc come from a show later in the tour, an audience boot known as "Hallowed Eth". This allowed me to compiled the best sounding versions of those songs with the rest of the songs performed on the tour, creating a show that has all the tracks played on this tour. I also had to cull some bits from "Seattle Nights" to fill in.

It's not my BEST sounding show, but for the sake of having the By-Tor/Necromancer medley, "The Twilight Zone" and an early version of "Xanadu", I decided to compile a 2-disc set of this tour.

The version of "2112" from "Hallowed Eth" is one that's only missing "Oracle", and has "Discovery" intact. "Xanadu" is obviously in embryonic stages, with a shorter intro and different guitar solos. It's an interesting look at an epic work-in-progress, especially for a band who is touring Europe for the first time, and is using Moog Taurus Pedals, which allowed Geddy to double guitar parts while playing his bass parts on pedals. This helped fill out some of the sound that only 3 men on stage can do with 6 hands and 6 feet.

What's interesting to me is the TRIPLE Encore that the band play on the "Capitol Punishment" show - first they launch into the "Fly By Night/In The Mood" medley, then come back with "What You're Doing", and finally close the show with "Best I Can", which, IIRC, this would be the last tour they play either of those last two songs. It would also be the last tour to feature "The Necromancer", the complete version of "By-Tor & The Snow Dog" and the ONLY tour to feature "The Twilight Zone". And speaking of "By-Tor", on the Manchester show, there's a bit of "La Villa Strangiato" during the guitar solo in the middle of the piece. Check it out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gBDue4aoSZk#t=393s

And those wanting to hear the early version of "Xanadu" from Manchester, check it out here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koAPFPrZzDg

-Marc.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2013, 10:43:18 PM »
I have the By-Tor's Battle V2.01 version of that Seattle show.  Does anyone know definitively if that one is SBD or AUD?  It has great stereo separation, so that leads me to believe it is probably SBD, but it has a really raw sound.  Coupled with Rush's heavier passages, it is crushingly brutal.

Marc, have you heard Out of Hiding from Dec 10, Passaic, NJ?  It's apparently the audio rip of a pro-shot video.  The video may also be floating out there as well.  It has Bastille Day, Anthem, Lakeside Park, 2112, Fly By Night and In the Mood.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:45 PM »
I have the By-Tor's Battle V2.01 version of that Seattle show.  Does anyone know definitively if that one is SBD or AUD?  It has great stereo separation, so that leads me to believe it is probably SBD, but it has a really raw sound.  Coupled with Rush's heavier passages, it is crushingly brutal.

I think I've listened to that version somewhere before. You're right about the sound, but it's hard to tell. I've always thought it was an AUD show.

Marc, have you heard Out of Hiding from Dec 10, Passaic, NJ?  It's apparently the audio rip of a pro-shot video.  The video may also be floating out there as well.  It has Bastille Day, Anthem, Lakeside Park, 2112, Fly By Night and In the Mood.

Nope, but I'm sure it's pretty good. I'll have to hunt that one down and give it a spin. Looks like it's less than 40 minutes of music, but if the sound is as good as the reviews on DRE state it to be, then I've been missing out!!!

-Marc.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2013, 10:59:20 PM »
I think the NJ show is probably the best sounding ATWAS boot out there.  Too bad it is only a truncated version of the longer setlist.  I've heard that the date in question might have been part of a festival type show, so that could explain it.  I seem to remember that it also is one of the later shows to appear from that era, I guess that also explains the Out of Hiding title.
Winger would be better!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »
I think the NJ show is probably the best sounding ATWAS boot out there.  Too bad it is only a truncated version of the longer setlist.  I've heard that the date in question might have been part of a festival type show, so that could explain it.  I seem to remember that it also is one of the later shows to appear from that era, I guess that also explains the Out of Hiding title.

Interesting story. I'll definitely have to hunt it down soon. I've never heard of such a bootleg from that era, so it surprises me that something with such good sound had gone under my radar when I was big into collecting Rush bootlegs many years ago!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2013, 08:08:38 PM »

I think I've listened to that version somewhere before. You're right about the sound, but it's hard to tell. I've always thought it was an AUD show.

Technically, this is a 2112 Tour show (AUD) having been played in March 1976. At one point and October date was associated with this recording which later proved to be false.

Nope, but I'm sure it's pretty good. I'll have to hunt that one down and give it a spin. Looks like it's less than 40 minutes of music, but if the sound is as good as the reviews on DRE state it to be, then I've been missing out!!!

-Marc.
[/quote]

This is that DVD we were talking about earlier. It's short because they were an opening that night.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Selland Arena, Fresno show from 11/28/76.

Again, they were an opening band but this is a higher generation soundboard recording.

Other interesting shows of are are the 12/31/76 Maple Leaf Gardens show which would become a tradition in the coming years where the band rings in the new year. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound that great.

The DC show was mentioned and The Twilight Zone is a rare highlight from that. I have a fondness for those UK shows in June of 1977 as it was their first European experience and the crowd is very much into it.

I think there are a few other goodies here, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Some of that 8mm footage that was mentioned somewhere above was recorded during this tour as well. At one point, someone tried to sync songs from All The World's A Stage to it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »
Always had a feeling this thread would drop to the earth's core.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2013, 12:25:53 AM »

I'm sorry - I've been through some really hard (emotional/physical) times lately, and I haven't had the energy/concentration to focus on this lately.  I think by week's end, I'll pick it back up with the AFTK tour.

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »

I'm sorry - I've been through some really hard (emotional/physical) times lately, and I haven't had the energy/concentration to focus on this lately.  I think by week's end, I'll pick it back up with the AFTK tour.

-Marc.

Wow! I hope everything is okay.  That statement wasn't targeting you at all.

I was kind of joking since I'm around here a few times a week at most and you and maybe one or two others are here so the times for lively discussion aren't really going to be that frequent.

I apologize if you took any kind of offense to that. Wasn't meant as a reflection on you at all.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:03:00 PM by ytserush »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »

-Marc.

Wow! I hope everything is okay.  That statement was targeting you at all.

I was kind of joking since I'm around here a few times a week at most and you and maybe one or two others are here so the times for lively discussion aren't really going to be that frequent.

I apologize if you took any kind of offense to that. Wasn't meant as a reflection on you at all.

I'm sorry if I came off as offensive. It's been a very trying time for me lately, but things have picked up a bit. Give me a little bit and I will continue on with this thread! I promise!

Either way, the next tour is the AFTK tour, so if anyone wishes to discuss the third disc of Different Stages before I get to my write-up this week, go right ahead! It's a great disc and an awesome tour, though not my favorite tour, it's got some great songs and the performances of "Cygnus X-1" and "Xanadu" on the Hammersmith disc are particularly great.

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
No worries. I'm not in any hurry.

Online The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Drive 'Til You Die Tour (A Farewell To Kings)
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2013, 08:09:58 AM »
Touring on their first studio album in what would retroactively be named their 2nd Phase, Rush embarked on (what I'm pretty sure was) their longest tour yet, or at least, the one with the most dates, covering North America from August 17, 1977 to May 28, 1978

Opened For: Blue Oyster Cult
Opening Bands: UFO, Max Webster, AC/DC, Cheap Trick, Pat Travers, The Babys, Hush, Grinderswitch, Crawler, Uriah Heep

According to the Power Windows website, they still did opening sets, but only for Blue Oyster Cult. Otherwise, they were headlining, and with 5 albums worth of material, they had a LOT of music to choose from to cover.

This is the last tour Rush performed any shows as a supporting band. Although shows early in the tour featured a setlist with "Cygnus X-1" preceding "Something For Nothing", eventually those songs traded places and the setlist was standardized for the rest of the tour with the exception being that "Anthem" was dropped occasionally for unknown reasons. This is the last tour to include the song "Fly By Night".

Bastille Day
Lakeside Park
By-Tor and the Snow Dog (abbreviated)->
Xanadu
A Farewell to Kings
Something For Nothing
Cygnus X-1
Anthem (dropped from 12/10/77, 2/17 & 2/23/78 shows)
Closer To The Heart
2112 (minus Oracle)
Working Man
Fly by Night
In The Mood
Drum Solo
Encore: Cinderella Man

This tour's compilation mostly comes from the official live release of a AFTK show in the Different Stages live set. However, three songs (and Neil's solo) were missing/taken out of the Hammersmith Odeon show - "Lakeside Park", "Closer To The Heart", "2112", the last two likely due to their inclusion in the first disc of Different Stages from the Test For Echo Tour.
With that in mind, I chose one of the better sounding Audience recordings of that tour to fill in the gaps.

Rush - A Farewell To Kings Tour - 94:50
(Live In London, UK on 2/19/78)
(Different Stages - Official Release)

Disc 1 - 47:22
 1. Bastille Day       5:05
 2. Lakeside Park*       4:26
 3. By-Tor & The Snow Dog    5:11
 4. Xanadu         12:21
 5. A Farewell To Kings       5:54
 6. Something For Nothing    4:00
 7. Cygnus X-1         10:25

Disc 2 - 47:28
 1. Anthem          4:54
 2. Closer To The Heart*    3:10
 3. 2112*         19:08
 4. Working Man          4:00
 5. Fly By Night       2:04
 6. In The Mood          2:36
 7. Drum Solo*          5:25
 8. Cinderella Man       5:09

*Missing songs fillled in by:
(Ron's Vault Release #5 - AUD)
(Live In Fresno, CA on 9/28/77)

32:09 - Non-SB Sourced

The Hammersmith show is pretty good, and being an official release, it's not hard to have any better, despite the 3 missing pieces, although any die-hard Rush fan wouldn't mind not having CTTH on a release (though this would be the first tour with it), or "Lakeside Park" (with the ATWAS version sufficing). The true missing gem would be a slightly longer version of "2112" than presented on ATWAS, but that's not a BIG loss.

As for the rest of the show itself, it's pretty amazing! You get FOUR new songs from the then-new album, as well as the awe-inspiring medley of "By-Tor & The Snow Dog"/"Xanadu".

To end the show, we get yet another "Working Man" Medley, and the unusual decision to put a NEW song in the encore (something the band has rarely done, but would later do on tours in the 80's). Over-all, this set list is as expected for this tour, although one might miss complete versions of songs from their first two albums, they now had 3 songs over 10-minutes long being played, and with that number of epics, they had to shortened songs. Which I am perfectly okay with considering how great "Cygnus X-1, Book I: The Voyage" is.

NOTE - Sorry I took so damn long getting this updated again, and now that I am out of my funk from the last 4 weeks, I can continue to update this regularly!

NICK - are you still hosting shows? I'll need Hemispheres up soon! THANKS! :tup

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2013, 08:41:11 AM »
As much as I like Cinderella Man, it looks bizarre in that particular set list as the encore.  They should have played it midway through the set and ended the show with all of The Fountain of Lamneth. :hat

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »
As much as I like Cinderella Man, it looks bizarre in that particular set list as the encore.

ha, it sure does.  It's an ok song I guess, but . . . sheesh.
Winger would be better!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
Certainly many believe that the third disc of Different Stages is a holy grail Kings show.

This may have seen the light of day much earlier, but Geddy was suffering from a bad cold that night and as such he thought it unworthy to release until it was discovered years later during the hiatus when hindsight determined that it wasnt' so bad after all.

There are a few others besides Ron's Vault release which I think are worthy of hearing.

The 2/16/1978 Glasglow show for one and then you have the  12/77 Montreal (partial) show for another. The 11/12/1977 Paladium, NYC show is very good; as is the 12/10/1977 Hollywood, FLA show. There are some others out there, but those are among the better ones.

This isn't a live show or anything, but I'll leave you with this tidbit that was unearthed several months back and if nothing else is a nice piece of history that we didn't have before.

You might say this is the earliest known video interview of a band member that has surfaced and as such it's pretty cool on that basis alone. (Aside from the Rutsey audio interview in the documentary it may be the earliest audio interview ever until a conversation with Neil Peart in January of 1978.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wrsyO2zUaM

I think Cinderella Man fits as an encore. It shows they weren't afraid of putting a new song in the encore. I think the only other time that was done was Grand Designs on the Power Windows tour although it wasn't the final song. It's definately among my favorite closing songs they ever put in the set.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:32:31 PM by ytserush »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »
Thought I throw this here.

I can appreciate it much more now beyond its historical significance than the previous versions that made it out there.

Fasten your seatbelts. The intensity is an order of magnitude higher. Blows my DVD away.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJo3aVTRi61AXWGPRuTGXNFFCOBXc3ZAO