Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73510 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: Rush Live - The R30: 30th Anniversary Tour
« Reply #245 on: June 21, 2014, 09:15:43 PM »
What I enjoyed a lot in R30 during 2112 was when Geddy was dropping pirate references and I think he had a parrot on his shoulder.  I thought it was cool. 

As for the set from what I saw in the DVD, I dug the R30 Overture.  Xanadu (even though it was the shorten version) was brought back which was nice.  I liked Summertime Blues. 

Other than that, some of the non-big songs were played from the last tour (hence the whole removing some of the songs in the main DVD).  Though, it was not a problem for Europe since they hadn't had the chance to see Rush in over a decade back then, and the 1st time to see them in the "An Evening With" format.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #246 on: June 25, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »
What I enjoyed a lot in R30 during 2112 was when Geddy was dropping pirate references and I think he had a parrot on his shoulder.  I thought it was cool.

I really liked the pirate-themed stuff in "2112" as well! It reminds me of when they did similar stuff to "2112" and "The Spirit Of Radio" on the Signals Tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #247 on: June 25, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »

The Vapor Trails Tour is one of my favorite Rush tours ever.

Being in Hartford that year was one of the highlights of my life. I'll never forget it.  Saw them six times on that tour three. on the outdoor leg and three on the indoor leg (indoor leg set was slightly better)

For some reason there doesn't seem to be much on you tube for this tour although it's been pretty well documented.

Here's a clip that from that Hartford show that I think was on the website at some point. (Brings back a lot of great memories)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYj9lo3IgU

And the July 4 Raleigh show....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njYkNz27VdI

Admittedly, Rush in Rio  (The DVD...CD is quite another story) is probably the go-to DVD in this case.  It"s just an amazing historical document and anyone who has seen it knows why.

Rush played a one-off gig at the SarsStock Festival in 2003. I thought the full show was up but this was all I could find. Interesting to contrast Rio with this one for a number of reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm2_gbcEI1bFh9OL-rr11ifLAXp6K6YK7

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #248 on: June 25, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
That Hartford show was glorious.  We tailgated all day and when we walked around there was nothing but battle Rush songs from car to car.  Then the emotional return of Neil.  I have fond memories of that night.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Snakes & Arrows Tour
« Reply #249 on: June 27, 2014, 01:22:00 AM »
The Snakes & Arrows Tour began June 13 and went to Oct. 29, for the FIRST leg. For the first time in awhile, they tours TWO major legs of the tour and not a straight shot of 4-6 months. In between legs, they released the the Snakes & Arrows Live album, recorded from their Rotterdam shows, their 8th and 7th to last shows on the first leg.

"The [Snakes & Arrows Live] CD came out just prior to us going back out on the road - it gave us a little boost I think, in terms of making everybody aware that we were going back out for the second half of the tour." - Alex Lifeson, UGO.com, December 11, 2008

After the break, they went back out on the road from April 11 to July 24 the following year. The Atlanta show (the second to last of the tour) was also recorded for some of the 2nd-Leg-Only tracks that appear on the DVD.

The Power Windows website has this to say about this tour:

For this tour 9 of the 13 tracks from the new album were played live, and the largest percentage of new songs performed in support of an album since the Power Windows tour. The setlists for this tour were quite a bit more varied than recent tours: "Entre Nous" was played live for the first time ever; "Circumstances" [tuned down a full step] was not played since the Hemispheres tour; "A Passage To Bangkok" in its entirety for the first time since the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures warm up tour; "Digital Man" [with a new arrangement] since the Grace Under Pressure warm-up tour; "Witch Hunt" since the Power Windows tour; "Mission" since the Presto tour; and "One O'Clock Jump" was replaced by "Cotton Tail" as the drum solo finale, performed by Neil with the Buddy Rich Band on Burning for Buddy Vol. I. Unfortunately both "Entre Nous" and "Circumstances" were replaced by newer, less obscure songs for the second leg.

It is also worthy to note that "Roll The Bones" was dropped for the first time ever. Keeping score on the songs played: only 6 songs were played from albums released between Moving Pictures and Vapor Trails (only one from the 90's, and one from the 80's was only performed for less than half of the tour dates); not including the drum solo, of the 27 songs played, 17 were from PeW, MP or SA - roughly 2/3 of the concert (2/3 of the entire Permanent Waves album was included). It also is worth mentioning that between the last three tours, Rush played 6/7ths of Moving Pictures live; "The Camera Eye" being the notable exception.

Setlist changes during this tour: for the first leg, with few exceptions, "Summertime Blues" alternated with "Distant Early Warning" after DEW was first performed on July 4th; both songs were replaced by "2112 Overture/Temples Of Syrinx" for the second leg although the "2112 medley" followed "The Spirit Of Radio" rather than preceding it. With the return of the "2112" medley in the second leg setlist, the Counterparts tour remains the only tour to not include any part of "2112" in the setlist. Other changes for the second leg: "Ghost Of A Chance" replaced "Entre Nous"; "Red Barchetta" replaced "Secret Touch"; and "The Trees" replaced "Circumstances".

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

This tour once again had an officially record and released live video and album. Because of this, I used the whole Rotterdam show and tacked on the "Oh, Atlanta! The Authorized Bootlegs" from the DVD onto the end of the album, much in the same way I did with Rush In Rio (which had 2 official soundboard songs already) and my Test For Echo Tour complete show. Fortunately, the powers that  be provided ALL the alternate tracks save for "Summertime Blues" (which is not well-missed, personally), so we have a fairly complete documentation of ALL (but one) of the songs featured on this tour!

For my personal Complete Tours remix, I shuffled the track list a bit, and in turn puts the drum solo at/near the end of the second disc (where it sat for TFE, VT and the R30 tours. Weird how it lands there...)

Rush - Snakes & Arrows Live - 179:45
(Live In Rotterdam & Atlanta, GA)
Complete Show + 2nd Leg Tracks

Disc 1 - 62:18
 1. Limelight          4:48
 2. Digital Man          6:57
 3. Entre Nous          5:18
 4. Mission          5:39
 5. Freewill          6:02
 6. The Main Monkey Business    6:06
 7. The Larger Bowl       4:21
 8. Secret Touch       7:45
 9. Circumstances       3:47
10. Between The Wheels       6:01
11. Dreamline          5:34

Disc 2 - 58:38
 1. Far Cry          5:20
 2. Workin' Them Angels       4:49
 3. Armor And Sword       6:37
 4. Spindrift          5:41
 5. The Way The Wind Blows    6:24
 6. Subdivisions       5:43
 7. Natural Science       8:34
 8. Witch Hunt          4:49
 9. Malignant Narcissism    2:24
10. De Slagwerker (Drum Solo)    8:17

Disc 3 - 58:22
 1. Hope          2:21
 2. Distant Early Warning    4:54
 3. The Spirit Of Radio       5:03
 4. Tom Sawyer          5:49
 5. One Little Victory       5:27
 6. A Passage To Bangkok    3:57
 7. YYZ             5:17
-----(Oh, Atlanta! Bonus Tracks)-----
 8. Ghost Of A Chance        6:09
 9. Red Barchetta        6:43
10. The Trees           5:54
11. 2112 (I - II)       6:48

Missing:
Summertime Blues - alternated with
Distant Early Warning on 1st Leg

This was quite a doozy of a "new" set list. Some songs were swapped out from the last two tours, some were brought back from the VT tour, but most astonishing of all was the fact that they performed NINE out of their thirteen new songs! Not since Power Windows had that much of an album been played live! Split between the two sets, these nine new songs made up a THIRD of each night's show (27 songs each night, excluding the drum solo). Of the remaining two thirds of the show, we got FOUR songs from PEW and, on the 2nd leg, 5 songs from MP. They may as well have played all three albums (PEW, MP and S&A) in their entirety at that rate! (I wish...but could you imagine?! They'd have done it before YES would...)

This tour has a lot of exciting songs on it, with "Circumstances" and "Digital Man" making huge comebacks, the first-ever performances of "Entre Nous" and the return of "Witch Hunt" AND "Natural Science". Lots of stuff from PEW-onward to enjoy, but little-to-no material post GUP, and with only two songs from VT (with "Secret Touch" getting dropped in the 2nd leg).

As for this particular show itself, the Rotterdam show is pretty good, especially being near the end of the first leg. After nearly 5 months of touring, they had everything down and this was a pretty damn good performance. It's been a little while since I've listened to this whole show, but I recall enjoying almost every song, even if Geddy's voice was beginning to decline, he definitely belted out "Circumstances" for this recorded show. Neil's drum solo was, as usual, very good, and his new elements made his solo fresh and exciting for me. About half of it was "new" to the audience, with a good bit of shuffling around; we got a new version of "Momo's Dance Party", followed by a zen-sounding waltz, and a new jazz tune at the end. And the one-two-punch of "Natural Science" into "Witch Hunt" is just gold.

The Atlanta tracks are great, too, even if the only unique song is "Ghost Of A Chance", another surprise from this tour. Odd how this tour began at Atlanta (of which I had the opening night bootleg of titled "Overnight Delivery") and would have ended at Atlanta, although a rescheduled Indiana show forced them to end the tour there instead.

This was a welcome and fresh show, with new songs and great set list choices. They kept it interesting, and the change from R30 to this tour was a lot more jarring, yet intriguing than the ones they made from VT to R30. They played TEN fresh songs not played on the previous tour (excluding S&A songs of course): Digital Man, Entre Nous, Freewill, Mission, Circumstances, Natural Science, Witch Hunt, Distant Early Warning, Ghost Of A Chance, and A Passage To Bangkok (in full!)...and of those, all but 3 haven't been played in a VERY long time! Bravo, Rush, but being even MORE daring on this tour!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2014, 03:22:26 AM »
Brilliant tour with a brilliant setlist.  Holds great memories for me as it was the first time I went to see Rush live.  Geddy was on top of his game for most of the tour too.  (Amazing performance in Circumstances)  The live DVD doesn't do the tour justice IMO, sounds far better on many bootlegs.

Here is one such show thanks to the wonders of the Youtubes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZkvoLKwDk&t=0h00m00s

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #251 on: June 29, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
The R30 tour is my least favorite of the "Evening With" era.  While there were a few gems in the set, Between The Wheels being one, it was mostly standard faire.   I also think the encore was the worst set they've ever done although I kind of understand why it was done that way.

Even the DVD itself is my least favorite (the concert part not the bonuses.)  I've not seen the complete concert released on Blu-ray so maybe that would change my mind, but I think most of the performance were not to the high inspired Rush standard.  (Although the versions of Red Barchetta and Secret Touch may be the best live versions commercially available.

Only made it to two shows that year because I wasn't that fond of the set. Thought long and hard about going to the two night stand at Radio City, since the last time the band played there had been 21 years ago, but couldn't justify it.

By that point, I'd all but sworn off going to the the trap formerly known as the Garden State Arts Center for concerts, but the 8/14/04 date was just too cool to pass up as it was the bands actually 30th anniversary although it was not publically acknowledged that night. So that was a pretty special night too.

Camden was awesome too, but for different reasons. It was brutally hot that night but the sky opened up just after Geddy sang "And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain" during Bravado.

The pirate stuff was really cool to. It's always fun to see what develops over the course of a tour.

I actually prefer this Radio City show over the DVD. There is a second night from Radio City around somewhere, but I guess that never made it to you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD6852A3D0998D91D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »
The S&A set list was quite a shock at the time, what with all those songs either being brought back or played for the first time.  On the other hand, it just figures that that is the one time our cousin John went with us to see Rush and they didn't play 2112 or La Villa Strangiato. :facepalm:

But anyway, while daring of them to play five straight songs from S&A, it was kind of a killjoy for the crowd to have that many new songs in a row to kick off the 2nd set.  By the 4th song, on both legs, the crowd was getting restless for something more familiar.  And One Little Victory as an encore ranks as one of their biggest WTFs ever.  But the rest of the set list was just so damn money. :coolio

Also, IIRC, this was the first Rush tour ever where the first song they played was not a Track 1.  Seems crazy to think that it took that long for that to happen, but it's true.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2014, 12:24:37 PM »
S&A was seriously my favorite Rush tour EVER until the new CA tour.

Even though I defy the label "hipster"...that side of me rears its head full force when I talk about this tour.   This tour was a giant raspberry to the "fair weather" fans and a big giant wet kiss for the fanboys who has stuck with them and were still there.   

Screw the people who sat down for the first 5 songs of the second set.   I was singing along word for word and on my feet for every single one.    For me, this was the tour that permanently established Rush as a band that was not going to rest on past glories....and that is why they ultimately released one of their greatest albums 40 years into their career...something I don't believe any other rock band has ever done. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »
Also, IIRC, this was the first Rush tour ever where the first song they played was not a Track 1.  Seems crazy to think that it took that long for that to happen, but it's true.

Wow, I believe you're right! I never realized or noticed that. It's also funny to note that they opened this tour's set with the song they used to close last tour's set! It always seems that set openers, closers, and encores have a way of jumping around: The Spirit Of Radio, Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Limelight, One Little Victory, Working Man, La Villa Strangiato. They're always one of those kinds of songs that just feels right to open or close a set/show, or be used in an encore.

-Marc.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #255 on: June 29, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
Saw both ends of this tour... outdoors for one, indoor for the 2nd.  Both were great.  Was relieved with the release of S&A that Rush was 'back' after the cover album, and the not-so-well-received VT.  Shame it would take another 5 years to get another release... thankfully they kept touring though.  Like Jammin said, I loved that this tour started to go a little obscure, and in full support of S&A.  This is the tour where I remember them really getting creative with their intros and outro's.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: June 29, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »
Everything was epic about this tour except OLV as an encore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #257 on: June 29, 2014, 07:59:18 PM »
I think, for me, that Snakes and Arrows DVD release is my favorite out of the bunch (Rush in Rio and Clockwork Angels Tour are 2nds).  I enjoyed a lot of the Snakes and Arrows songs (Far Cry (I think that bass in the intro was very angry compared to the next two releases), The Way the Wind Blows, Armor and Sword, The Main Monkey Business, and Working Them Angels are my favorites).  It was awesome to see stuff like Entre Nous, A Passage to Bangkok, Mission in its entirety.  I think, to me, this is pretty much the last time Geddy's voice was relatively crisp (compared to the next two DVD releases).

All in all, this tour was a good example of what Rush setlists can be composed of (Hits, Non-hits staples, rarities, and the theme of the tour) and it was bloody great.  Kudos to them on that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:58:36 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2014, 10:31:51 PM »
  This is the tour where I remember them really getting creative with their intros and outro's.

Excellent point!  The plane of dharma thing still make me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOo5I1z9vgc

And the outtakes are so damn funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8m0PGz_dfw

Alex Lifeson is so the man. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2014, 05:14:24 AM »
Wouldn't Lifeson just be the coolest guy to have over for a dinner party??
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: June 30, 2014, 05:49:44 AM »
Wouldn't Lifeson just be the coolest guy to have over for a dinner party??

We should ask the Trailer Park Boys that question.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Time Machine Tour
« Reply #261 on: July 03, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
Rush found themselves with an itch to tour, but without a new album out, their ideas about the set list were different this time around. What they DID have, however, were two exciting reasons to two. To coincide with upcoming 30th anniversary of their seminal album Moving Pictures and the single from their forth-coming album (released 2 years later), their idea was to do a "Time Machine" tour, which would visit songs from their past, present, and future.

The tour was once again split over two legs, from June 29 to October 17, 2010 (ending with a revisit to South America), then picking back up in the Spring on March 30, ending on July 2, 2011. This time around, the set intro/outro videos were based around the theme of the band's history, as well as changing it around for comedic effect. The band once again star as unique characters, even parodies of themselves, in various versions of Rush...or Rash.

The setlist remained the same throughout the tour. Albums not featured this tour: Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, Grace Under Pressure, Roll The Bones, Test For Echo, Vapor Trails and Feedback.

"Presto" and "Faithless" were played for the first time ever. "Stick It Out" was played for the first time in 13 years (last played on the Test For Echo tour); "Marathon" is played for the first time in 20 years (last played on the Presto tour); and of course "The Camera Eye" is played for the first time in 28 years (last played on the Signals tour; the remaining six Moving Pictures tracks had all been played during the previous two tours).

"Closer To The Heart", "Leave That Thing Alone" and "Vital Signs" were brought back after last being played on the Vapor Trails tour, and after being rested for the Snakes & Arrows tour, old standards "La Villa Strangiato" and "Working Man" returned. "Closer To The Heart" featured an all new arrangement, beginning with a new 12 string acoustic intro, as well as one of the verses arranged with a slower yet heavier tempo.

As has been the pattern since the VT tour, we now have another officially released show from this tour, and the WHOLE show to boot! With no changes to the set list this go around, every song from the tour is represented in the official release. Because this tour was a bit shorter than the previous four (TFE, VT, R30, and S&A), the show ends up fitting on two 80-minute CDs (as is the official release), but to make it match the trend of shows from the last four tours, I edited my version to be a 3 CD set. Doing so also places ALL of Moving Pictures onto the 2nd disc, instead of being split like on the official release.

Rush - Time Machine Tour - 147:28
(Live In Cleveland, OH)
Complete Show - Re-Cut

Disc 1 - 59:31
 1. The Spirit Of Radio       5:02
 2. Time Stand Still       5:16
 3. Presto          6:32
 4. Stick It Out       4:22
 5. Workin' Them Angels       4:44
 6. Leave That Thing Alone!    5:13
 7. Faithless          5:57
 8. BU2B          4:23
 9. Freewill          5:29
10. Marathon          6:29
11. Subdivisions       6:04

Disc 2 - 40:54 (Moving Pictures Live)
 1. Tom Sawyer          4:53
 2. Red Barchetta       6:55
 3. YYZ             4:32
 4. Limelight          4:30
 5. The Camera Eye      10:03
 6. Witch Hunt          4:42
 7. Vital Signs          5:19

Disc 3 - 47:03
 1. Caravan          5:48
 2. Moto Perpetuo (Drum Solo)    8:22
 3. O'Malley's Break       1:33
 4. Closer To The Heart       3:28
 5. 2112 (I - II)       7:10
 6. Far Cry          6:22
 7. La Villa Strangiato       7:40
 8. Working Man          6:40

As mentioned above from PW's website, there's a lot of interesting and "new"/returning material played this tour. Not including the entirety of MP, or the two new songs, NINE new songs were introduced into this set that were not played on the previous tour. Granted, three of those are classics like "Closer To The Heart", "Working Man" and "La Villa Strangiato" (all of which had new intros and other changes), but the other six include songs that haven't been played in over a decade ("Leave That Thing Alone!", "Stick It Out", "Marathon", "Time Stand Still"), or haven't been played EVER ("Presto" and "Faithless").

This is where I began to feel like Geddy's voice was slipping a bit, but as instrumentalists, the band was pretty tight for this show in Cleveland (which in itself is pretty historic considering this was where they had their beginning in America). Performing all of MP is a pretty tough feat, I'm sure, and they seem to pull it off quite well. I figure if they were going to do it, this was the time. Any later and I can see them having issues with performing the whole thing, especially Geddy and his voice. I doubt we'll ever see them perform a WHOLE album in it's entirety ever again (although with half of Power Windows last tour and most of Clockwork Angels, we got close), so I'm glad they decided to do it then. If, by chance, they did, it would have to be a later album, and I'm not sure I would care to see anything past MP in its entirety...I mean, maybe GUP or POW (even though between 2002 and 2012, we got 7/8th of POW live, so I'm not eager to see the whole thing just for "Emotion Detector"), but nothing else seems viable for the whole-album-live format.

As for this performance itself, it's pretty solid and I like the show. I haven't revisited this one as much as the other shows between R30 and CAT, and I'm not sure why. I guess because there's only a few songs here I care to listen to, and sometimes I'll spin the full MP Live, but that's about it. I feel like we've gotten better versions of classics like "2112", "Working Man", and "La Villa Strangiato" on other recent tours. The first set is pretty great, though, especially the last three songs. And I'm sure this will be the only time they ever play "BU2B', so I guess we're stuck with it here.

Another thing that kind of disappointed me about this tour was how SHORT it was. The S&A Tour was about 155 minutes of music, while this tour only had about 145. I guess if you throw in all the videos they had, the show was about the same length, but I feel like they could've played one or two more songs in the second set. At least the next tour would jump back up to about 165 minute of music, about the same from the TFE and VT tours. The R30 tour has been, by far, the one with the most music.

Personally, I had really wanted to see them on this tour when they came to DC in September of 2010, but I missed my chance to. They came around to Baltimore the next April, but for one reason or another, I did have the time or money to do so. Another tour gone, and I still had yet to see them live, but I eager awaited the live release. I even bought the BestBuy version that came with the RASH t-shirt inside!!! I would have to wait until the next tour to finally see my favorite band hit the stage...

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:28:06 AM by The Letter M »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #262 on: July 04, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
Nice that you got the RASH t-shirt for Time Machine.  I got the t-shirt from the DVD of the next tour, but I'll talk about that later.  Anywho, yeah, Time Machine was still solid.  It was probably the only DVD for me where The Spirit of Radio got the ovation it deserved after the "Concert Hall" part.  A huge gripe was Geddy's voice though like you stated.  That was where it starting to become not crisp and you can hear it in songs like The Spirit of Radio, Time Stands Still, Closer to the Heart.  It's cool to hear Presto, Faithless, BU2B (especially since that track was not played in the next tour).

I enjoyed the videos, especially the one with during the intermission that led into Tom Sawyer.  "Hey, hey, hey.  You can say whatever you want about my crappy band, but you leave the girls out of this."  Good stuff.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:08:28 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: July 04, 2014, 07:23:33 AM »
To be fair to Geddy, I recall seeing/reading interviews suggesting he was fighting a cold leading up to and the night of the DVD recording - but they couldn't put it off to another show for some reason.

I saw this show at the Air Canada Centre, where my company has a lease on four seats.  One thing I remember was scrambling a few days before the show trying to find people to accompany me.  The guy I had lined up bailed on me, and I was in Colorado at the time, frantically calling anyone I knew who was a Rush fan, or just a rock fan in general, but because it was such short notice, I couldn't get anyone.  Finally ended up giving 2 tickets to our HR Manager (her fiance was a huge Rush fan), and finally found a customer that could go.

When I got to the show, I told the people behind us "just so you know, I'm not sitting down during Moving Pictures at all".

I loved this show.  One of my favorites.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #264 on: July 04, 2014, 08:24:27 AM »
I was so excited when Marathon was brought back, but Geddy simply couldn't sing the chorus well anymore.  The way he sang the line, "Something always fires the light that gets in your eyes," made me want to hurl.  I can't even listen or watch the live version from the Cleveland show because of that one line. :censored

This set list is good, but that first set still looks weird.  Aside from the fact that many crowds were reportedly shitless for the bulk of it, that Stick It Out through BU2B 5-song run just looks off (and I love Leave That Thing Alone, but that was not a good spot for it in the set list).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2014, 12:35:18 PM »
To be fair to Geddy, I recall seeing/reading interviews suggesting he was fighting a cold leading up to and the night of the DVD recording - but they couldn't put it off to another show for some reason.

I saw this show at the Air Canada Centre, where my company has a lease on four seats.  One thing I remember was scrambling a few days before the show trying to find people to accompany me.  The guy I had lined up bailed on me, and I was in Colorado at the time, frantically calling anyone I knew who was a Rush fan, or just a rock fan in general, but because it was such short notice, I couldn't get anyone.  Finally ended up giving 2 tickets to our HR Manager (her fiance was a huge Rush fan), and finally found a customer that could go.

When I got to the show, I told the people behind us "just so you know, I'm not sitting down during Moving Pictures at all".

I loved this show.  One of my favorites.

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing about Geddy's cold during that part of the tour. It is a shame they could not postpone the recording though in favor of a better sounding show.

-Marc.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #266 on: July 06, 2014, 06:30:22 AM »
I think the cold theory is BS, honestly, because I saw the shows before AND after the DVD recording and he sounded really good. Hearing the DVD, I was wondering what happened. If it was a cold it must have immediately gotten horrible right after the Toledo show and cleared right up before Detroit.

Anyway yeah this was my first Rush tour. Saw it twice. Remains one of the greatest experiences of my life.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #267 on: July 06, 2014, 08:52:38 AM »
Going back to my point about the first set, with playing all of MP to kick off the 2nd set, they almost had no choice, given the songs they chose to play overall.  If you look at their set lists in the 21st century, they tend to play the bulk of their newest stuff early in 2nd sets, but since MP was taking the first seven spots of this one, they had to load the first set with the newer songs and obscure ones brought back for the diehards, so both sets look rather lopsided (first set = mostly newer and obscure songs, second set/encore = mostly classics).  Had they broken MP up and played Side 1 at the end of the first set and then Side 2 at the beginning of the second set, the set list might have looked and sounded more well-rounded.  Something like this:

Set 1
The Spirit Of Radio
Time Stand Still
Workin' Them Angels
Stick It Out
Freewill
Faithless
Presto
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight

Set 2
The Camera Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Caravan
BU2B
Subdivisions
Marathon
Leave That Thing Alone
Drum solo
Acoustic guitar solo
Closer to the Heart
2112 (I and II)
Far Cry

Encore
La Villa Strangiato
Working Man

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #268 on: July 06, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »
The Snakes & Arrows Tour began June 13 and went to Oct. 29, for the FIRST leg. For the first time in awhile, they tours TWO major legs of the tour and not a straight shot of 4-6 months. In between legs, they released the the Snakes & Arrows Live album, recorded from their Rotterdam shows, their 8th and 7th to last shows on the first leg.

"The [Snakes & Arrows Live] CD came out just prior to us going back out on the road - it gave us a little boost I think, in terms of making everybody aware that we were going back out for the second half of the tour." - Alex Lifeson, UGO.com, December 11, 2008

After the break, they went back out on the road from April 11 to July 24 the following year. The Atlanta show (the second to last of the tour) was also recorded for some of the 2nd-Leg-Only tracks that appear on the DVD.

For this tour 9 of the 13 tracks from the new album were played live, and the largest percentage of new songs performed in support of an album since the Power Windows tour. The setlists for this tour were quite a bit more varied than recent tours: "Entre Nous" was played live for the first time ever; "Circumstances" [tuned down a full step] was not played since the Hemispheres tour; "A Passage To Bangkok" in its entirety for the first time since the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures warm up tour; "Digital Man" [with a new arrangement] since the Grace Under Pressure warm-up tour; "Witch Hunt" since the Power Windows tour; "Mission" since the Presto tour; and "One O'Clock Jump" was replaced by "Cotton Tail" as the drum solo finale, performed by Neil with the Buddy Rich Band on Burning for Buddy Vol. I. Unfortunately both "Entre Nous" and "Circumstances" were replaced by newer, less obscure songs for the second leg.

It is also worthy to note that "Roll The Bones" was dropped for the first time ever. Keeping score on the songs played: only 6 songs were played from albums released between Moving Pictures and Vapor Trails (only one from the 90's, and one from the 80's was only performed for less than half of the tour dates); not including the drum solo, of the 27 songs played, 17 were from PeW, MP or SA - roughly 2/3 of the concert (2/3 of the entire Permanent Waves album was included). It also is worth mentioning that between the last three tours, Rush played 6/7ths of Moving Pictures live; "The Camera Eye" being the notable exception.

Setlist changes during this tour: for the first leg, with few exceptions, "Summertime Blues" alternated with "Distant Early Warning" after DEW was first performed on July 4th; both songs were replaced by "2112 Overture/Temples Of Syrinx" for the second leg although the "2112 medley" followed "The Spirit Of Radio" rather than preceding it. With the return of the "2112" medley in the second leg setlist, the Counterparts tour remains the only tour to not include any part of "2112" in the setlist. Other changes for the second leg: "Ghost Of A Chance" replaced "Entre Nous"; "Red Barchetta" replaced "Secret Touch"; and "The Trees" replaced "Circumstances".

This tour once again had an officially record and released live video and album. Because of this, I used the whole Rotterdam show and tacked on the "Oh, Atlanta! The Authorized Bootlegs" from the DVD onto the end of the album, much in the same way I did with Rush In Rio (which had 2 official soundboard songs already) and my Test For Echo Tour complete show. Fortunately, the powers that  be provided ALL the alternate tracks save for "Summertime Blues" (which is not well-missed, personally), so we have a fairly complete documentation of ALL (but one) of the songs featured on this tour!

For my personal Complete Tours remix, I shuffled the track list a bit, and in turn puts the drum solo at/near the end of the second disc (where it sat for TFE, VT and the R30 tours. Weird how it lands there...)

Rush - Snakes & Arrows Live - 179:45
(Live In Rotterdam & Atlanta, GA)
Complete Show + 2nd Leg Tracks

Disc 1 - 62:18
 1. Limelight          4:48
 2. Digital Man          6:57
 3. Entre Nous          5:18
 4. Mission          5:39
 5. Freewill          6:02
 6. The Main Monkey Business    6:06
 7. The Larger Bowl       4:21
 8. Secret Touch       7:45
 9. Circumstances       3:47
10. Between The Wheels       6:01
11. Dreamline          5:34

Disc 2 - 58:38
 1. Far Cry          5:20
 2. Workin' Them Angels       4:49
 3. Armor And Sword       6:37
 4. Spindrift          5:41
 5. The Way The Wind Blows    6:24
 6. Subdivisions       5:43
 7. Natural Science       8:34
 8. Witch Hunt          4:49
 9. Malignant Narcissism    2:24
10. De Slagwerker (Drum Solo)    8:17

Disc 3 - 58:22
 1. Hope          2:21
 2. Distant Early Warning    4:54
 3. The Spirit Of Radio       5:03
 4. Tom Sawyer          5:49
 5. One Little Victory       5:27
 6. A Passage To Bangkok    3:57
 7. YYZ             5:17
-----(Oh, Atlanta! Bonus Tracks)-----
 8. Ghost Of A Chance        6:09
 9. Red Barchetta        6:43
10. The Trees           5:54
11. 2112 (I - II)       6:48

Missing:
Summertime Blues - alternated with
Distant Early Warning on 1st Leg

This was quite a doozy of a "new" set list. Some songs were swapped out from the last two tours, some were brought back from the VT tour, but most astonishing of all was the fact that they performed NINE out of their thirteen new songs! Not since Power Windows had that much of an album been played live! Split between the two sets, these nine new songs made up a THIRD of each night's show (27 songs each night, excluding the drum solo). Of the remaining two thirds of the show, we got FOUR songs from PEW and, on the 2nd leg, 5 songs from MP. They may as well have played all three albums (PEW, MP and S&A) in their entirety at that rate! (I wish...but could you imagine?! They'd have done it before YES would...)

This tour has a lot of exciting songs on it, with "Circumstances" and "Digital Man" making huge comebacks, the first-ever performances of "Entre Nous" and the return of "Witch Hunt" AND "Natural Science". Lots of stuff from PEW-onward to enjoy, but little-to-no material post GUP, and with only two songs from VT (with "Secret Touch" getting dropped in the 2nd leg).

As for this particular show itself, the Rotterdam show is pretty good, especially being near the end of the first leg. After nearly 5 months of touring, they had everything down and this was a pretty damn good performance. It's been a little while since I've listened to this whole show, but I recall enjoying almost every song, even if Geddy's voice was beginning to decline, he definitely belted out "Circumstances" for this recorded show. Neil's drum solo was, as usual, very good, and his new elements made his solo fresh and exciting for me. About half of it was "new" to the audience, with a good bit of shuffling around; we got a new version of "Momo's Dance Party", followed by a zen-sounding waltz, and a new jazz tune at the end. And the one-two-punch of "Natural Science" into "Witch Hunt" is just gold.

The Atlanta tracks are great, too, even if the only unique song is "Ghost Of A Chance", another surprise from this tour. Odd how this tour began at Atlanta (of which I had the opening night bootleg of titled "Overnight Delivery") and would have ended at Atlanta, although a rescheduled Indiana show forced them to end the tour there instead.

This was a welcome and fresh show, with new songs and great set list choices. They kept it interesting, and the change from R30 to this tour was a lot more jarring, yet intriguing than the ones they made from VT to R30. They played TEN fresh songs not played on the previous tour (excluding S&A songs of course): Digital Man, Entre Nous, Freewill, Mission, Circumstances, Natural Science, Witch Hunt, Distant Early Warning, Ghost Of A Chance, and A Passage To Bangkok (in full!)...and of those, all but 3 haven't been played in a VERY long time! Bravo, Rush, but being even MORE daring on this tour!!!

-Marc.

I loved both legs of this tour.  My favorite show was probably the July 4, 2008 in AC which only held about 5,000 or so making it the smallest Rush show I'd ever been to although the MSG show might give that one a run for its money.

This was the start of the band kicking it into even a higher gear with humor.  I'll be the first to admit that I NEVER thought I'd ever hear Digital Man, Entre Nous, Circumstances and A Passage To Bangkok ever again and although the reasons for me thinking I'd never here Circumstances and A Passage To Bangkok pretty much made themselves known during the performance it was nice to see them give them a shot anyway. Also loved the heavy emphasis on the new stuff which I thought was a great way to open the second set.

Plenty of great shows out there some of which I have but at this point the performance level of the live albums and DVDs pretty much kill off the desire to dig heavily into finding the rest of the shows from the tour.

This is also the tour where you see the next generation of fans really take to the band and start creating their own memories. I think that's awesome.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #269 on: July 06, 2014, 12:23:14 PM »
I loved both legs of this tour.  My favorite show was probably the July 4, 2008 in AC which only held about 5,000 or so making it the smallest Rush show I'd ever been to although the MSG show might give that one a run for its money.

This was the start of the band kicking it into even a higher gear with humor.  I'll be the first to admit that I NEVER thought I'd ever hear Digital Man, Entre Nous, Circumstances and A Passage To Bangkok ever again and although the reasons for me thinking I'd never here Circumstances and A Passage To Bangkok pretty much made themselves known during the performance it was nice to see them give them a shot anyway. Also loved the heavy emphasis on the new stuff which I thought was a great way to open the second set.

Plenty of great shows out there some of which I have but at this point the performance level of the live albums and DVDs pretty much kill off the desire to dig heavily into finding the rest of the shows from the tour.

This is also the tour where you see the next generation of fans really take to the band and start creating their own memories. I think that's awesome.

To be honest, I never thought they'd ever play ANY of those songs live, ever again. Anything prior to Signals seemed like an impossibility if they hadn't played them in the last 10-15 years, but leave it to them to pull out songs they hadn't played in over 20 years, and one that had NEVER been played before!

As for the next generation of Rush fans, I really do see it in the recent tours. There's a surge of new fans, and old ones coming back around. I think the band themselves are even feeding off this Rush energy that fans give them. Ever since their documentary and the movie I Love You, Man came out, Rush has been in the limelight (no pun intended), and they're doing quite well.

I'm kind of glad they aren't pushing an R40 tour this year, because that's what people would expect. Rush are always unexpected, especially as these recent set lists show us. They're not afraid to pull out the "Digital Man"s or the "Entre Nous"s, or play over 2/3rds of a new album, or perform a whole old album in its entirety for the first time in their whole career! This is why I love this band, and why I am so glad I was able to go see them last year on the CA Tour in Baltimore, but I'll talk more about that when we get to the CA Tour post at the end of this week or so.

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #270 on: July 10, 2014, 03:11:57 PM »

To be honest, I never thought they'd ever play ANY of those songs live, ever again. Anything prior to Signals seemed like an impossibility if they hadn't played them in the last 10-15 years, but leave it to them to pull out songs they hadn't played in over 20 years, and one that had NEVER been played before!

As for the next generation of Rush fans, I really do see it in the recent tours. There's a surge of new fans, and old ones coming back around. I think the band themselves are even feeding off this Rush energy that fans give them. Ever since their documentary and the movie I Love You, Man came out, Rush has been in the limelight (no pun intended), and they're doing quite well.

I'm kind of glad they aren't pushing an R40 tour this year, because that's what people would expect. Rush are always unexpected, especially as these recent set lists show us. They're not afraid to pull out the "Digital Man"s or the "Entre Nous"s, or play over 2/3rds of a new album, or perform a whole old album in its entirety for the first time in their whole career! This is why I love this band, and why I am so glad I was able to go see them last year on the CA Tour in Baltimore, but I'll talk more about that when we get to the CA Tour post at the end of this week or so.

-Marc.

This was really the first tour where there were more than one or two surprises.  "Entre Nous" was sound-checked on at least one other tour.

There was no way there was going to be an R40 tour. They didn't want to be on the road anymore. It's really that simple.

Okay, Time Machine Tour.....(or what I'd like to call the Pre-Clockwork Angels Tour.)  Similar in set structure as the Clockwork Angels Tour (Swap out Moving Pictures and Clockwork Angels and you get the idea.)

I'll admit I REALLY wasn't looking forward to witnessing Moving Pictures played in its entirety, but side two is just one of the best album sides ever so that along with killer renditions of YYZ and Red Barchetta made it very worthwhile. I didn't think The Camera Eye was going to come off well, but in most cases I was happy to be mistaken on that count.

Sure it would be easy to point out some stellar shows from this tour -- the obligatory 4/11/11 MSG show for starters. but a live album and DVD for each tour really kills the motivation for grabbing all there is. I suppose I'll get there at some point.

Even if you lost Moving Pictures, this would be one fine set on it's own. (Didn't even let Stick It Out bother me much on this tour)

But I really love the stuff they pull out of their hats.  Presto? Are you kidding me? The band has repeatedly gone on record as saying they don't like the album chalking it up to a failed experiment. Presto might join Entre Nous was the song least likely to be brought out live that was at that time.  Faithless????? Bring it on! (Better late than never!) And there can never be enough Leave That Thing Alone.

I also really like the live SOUND of this tour and how it was put together. And the intro films were my favorites to date.

And the scary thing is......

The next tour was even better!

Wow, I believe you're right! I never realized or noticed that. It's also funny to note that they opened this tour's set with the song they used to close last tour's set! It always seems that set openers, closers, and encores have a way of jumping around: The Spirit Of Radio, Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Limelight, One Little Victory, Working Man, La Villa Strangiato. They're always one of those kinds of songs that just feels right to open or close a set/show, or be used in an encore.

-Marc.

Track one has always been "the quintessential Rush song" as Geddy likes to call it which is why it goes where it does on the albums.

Splitting hairs, but the R30 overture had A Passage To Bangkok and Cygnus X-1, but the rest were track ones.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Clockwork Angels Tour
« Reply #271 on: July 11, 2014, 07:27:20 PM »
Rush made their triumphant return with a new studio album, released five years after their last one (which was released five years after the one before that - still a better rate than Tool), by releasing their FIRST EVER CONCEPT ALBUM. It was a statement that, even 20 albums in, the band could rock hard and release something so different but still very "at home" for them. They've dabbled in concepts and ideas before, like Roll The Bones with it's gambling/money themes, or Counterparts with it's binary-like lyrics of opposing things, but never before have they done a WHOLE album of the narrative concept before. They've done sides like "The Fountain Of Lamneth", "2112", and the "Cygnus X-1" duology, but an album of 12 songs reaching over an hour seemed so unusual and new.

When it came time to hit the road with this amazing material, they decided to do something different once more and introduce OTHER PERFORMERS on stage with them. The Clockwork Angels String Ensemble featured one conductor and nine players on the tour, and they played most of the 2nd set with the band, including up to 10 songs from their new album. This tour began its first leg on September 7, taking them to December 2, 2012; the second leg continues on April 23, 2013 and concluded on August 4, 2013. They played 72 shows across North America and Europe and recorded two shows in the US for future release.

Rush threw out the playbook and offered up a completely fresh setlist with multiple variations for the Clockwork Angels Tour. In addition, for the first time ever the band was joined by a seven piece string section on stage for the majority of the second half of the show. Also for the first time, the drum solo was broken up into three segments heard at different points throughout the show.

The first set was heavy with 80's tracks beginning with the three album openers from Signals, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire performed sequentially to kick off the show, followed by three ultra-rare 80's live tracks, with more later in the show.

As with previous Rush tours, various minor setlist changes were made over the first few shows including refining the nightly alternates in the Clockwork Angels suite and finalizing the encore.

From the start of the tour, slightly differing setlists were planned to allow for the nightly rotation of four songs and their alternates: these eventually included "The Body Electric", "Bravado", "Seven Cities of Gold" and "Manhattan Project"; those songs were replaced the following night by "Middletown Dreams", "The Pass", "Wish Them Well" and "Dreamline", respectively. These eight songs remained alternates throughout the tour with a few exceptions, such as the occasional alternate being Limelight. For additional details including setlist revisions, click here.

Another tour, and another official release. This time, the band decided to treat us and include all but ONE of the songs they played this tour, with one unique difference. The only song played that isn't present on the official Clockwork Angels Tour live album is "Working Man", which was only played five times at the start of the tour.

Because the track list is pretty perfect, this is one of the few times where I didn't change anything to an official release! The first set fits perfectly on Disc 1, all of the CA material on Disc 2, and everything else on Disc 3. And like with the TFE, VT, and S&A Tour sets I've made, all the bonus tracks have been tacked onto the end of Disc 3.

Rush - Clockwork Angels Tour - 184:46
(Live In Phoenix, AZ & San Antonio/Dallas, TX)
Complete Show + Bonus Tracks

Disc 1 - 59:21
 1. Subdivisions          5:39
 2. The Big Money          6:02
 3. Force Ten            5:35
 4. Grand Designs          5:15
 6. The Body Electric         4:52
 7. Territories          6:46
 8. The Analog Kid          5:24
10. Bravado            5:46
11. Where's My Thing?/Here It Is!   8:23
12. Far Cry             5:35

Disc 2 65:32
 1. Caravan             5:42
 2. Clockwork Angels          8:12
 3. The Anarchist          6:59
 4. Carnies             5:16
 5. The Wreckers          5:27
 6. Headlong Flight/Drumbastica      8:17
 7. Peke's Repose/Halo Effect      5:15
 8. Seven Cities Of Gold      6:23
 9. Wish Them Well          6:41
10. The Garden             7:16

Disc 3 - 59:53
 1. Dreamline            5:19
 2. The Percussor         3:10
 3. Red Sector A          5:21
 4. YYZ             4:52
 5. The Spirit Of Radio       6:27
 6. Tom Sawyer             5:56
 7. 2112 Overture/Temples/Grand Finale   8:19
---------(Phoenix, AZ Bonus Tracks)---------
 8. Limelight (Soundcheck Recording)   4:42
 9. Middletown Dreams         5:20
10. The Pass            5:03
11. Manhattan Project         5:20

This is an even more far-out-there set list than the last two, with a TON of revisited songs that hadn't been played since the mid-to-late 80's, many of which were only played on one or two tours. The set-up is pretty simple, and takes after the last couple tours' set lists: Some hits and obscure stuff in set 1 with a strong closer, a bunch of new stuff in the first half of the 2nd set, then close out the show with singles/hits and a strong classic-song encore.

This time around, instead of only doing a set of 5 new songs (like with Snakes & Arrows), or an old album in its entirety (like with Moving Pictures), they did almost ALL OF THEIR NEW ALBUM, in some order, to open the 2nd set with their string ensemble. Most nights they only played 9 songs, with "Seven Cities Of Gold" and "Wish Them Well" being alternated (except one night at Dallas, where both were played for the recording of the live album/video). That's a HUGE chunk of new music, and I think the fan reception to the album was so good that they couldn't have done it any other way. Besides, it's a concept album! How could you break all of that up across the whole night?!

The string ensemble is so beautiful, and having witnessed this show in real life was such a joy for me. The show in Baltimore was amazing, and I unfortunately had to leave right before the encore as my friend I was with was feeling ill and needed to leave early. So as forgiveness for making me cut out before "2112", she bought me a Rush Tour t-shirt, which I love. It was the dark blue one with the red logos and the tour list on the back. I love it so much (and it was like $35-40!), so I'm not too miffed that I didn't get to see "2112". Everything else was worth it.

Back to the show and set list at hand, the huge influx of 80's material made me SO happy because I love Power Windows, and hearing songs like "The Analog Kid" again is a real treat. Between this tour and the previous two, the band has played 7 out of 8 songs from POW (with the only exception being the one song from the album they've never played, "Emotion Detector"). I loved the return of "Where's My Thing?" and how Neil YYZ'd his drum solo into the middle of the song! The last time they played this, he went into his solo AFTER the song (like he would with "Leave That Thing Alone!" in later tours), so it was neat to see him do this differently! The shorter solo here is nice and tight, showing off his skills on the front half of the kit.

The 2nd set is unbelievable and the run of CA songs is great, especially with how Neil integrated his drum-samples solo, typically used with horns and a big band outro, into the middle of "Headlong Flight". "The Garden" sounds even MORE beautiful live, if that's even possible, and Alex's intro to "Halo Effect" is stunning. But even after all of the CA songs, the string ensemble continued to play!

The remaining songs they picked are OK ("Dreamline" and "Red Sector A"), but the stand outs were "Manhattan Project" and, oddly enough, "YYZ". Before "Red Sector A", though, we are treated to one final Neil solo, where he shows off his skills on the back kit, with some AWESOME new samples and sounds that really make his solo sound more musical and melodic. I love this solo, and I hope he keeps bits of this on the next tour's solo(s).

The show closes out with "The Spirit Of Radio", but the encore is pretty great. The expected "Tom Sawyer" is, well, expected, but they pulled out the R30 version of "2112" again, with the full "Grand Finale" guitar solo this time around!!! I was so excited to hear that he was playing that solo again! The lack of it on the R30 Tour made it sound really flat at the climax of the "Grand Finale". I kind of wished the string ensemble had come back out for "2112". That would have been WAY cool.

Whew...anyways, those are my thoughts (for now) on the CA tour, and currently their last tour. No news yet on another tour, or an album, as 2014 is to be a year off for Rush. I guess we'll know in 6 months if they'll be recording or touring in the next year or so.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:38:25 PM by The Letter M »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: July 11, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »
Seeing the first show on this tour made me appropriate the old days of not knowing the setlist.  Hearing songs I have not heard them play live since I saw them in the 80's was mind blowing.  I loved both set lists!

My only complaint was hearing Far Cry.  I'm tired of that song.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #273 on: July 11, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »
I've seen Rush....I think 6 times now.   And THIS was the best show.  (although it fights it out with T4E) 

Amazing concert.   The *only* thing I would have done differently, would be to just play the whole album.   I mean really?  You pull us up *one song* short of the whole thing?   What a tease.   :P
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #274 on: July 11, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »
This was an amazing concert in every way.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #275 on: July 11, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »
I love this tour and DVD in so many ways.  I got the Best Buy package with the shirt that had Rush logo with the "blah, blah, blah" in it.  The setlist is great.  I loved the performance of the Analog Kid.  I thought when I heard that Dreamline was in the set, I thought that song should have the strings in it, and I was glad it did.  The Clockwork Angels songs was great, especially Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well (with Alex "dancing"), and the Garden.  Probably, the one thing I would have added would have been BU2B2.  Kinda use it as a interlude, similar to Alex's brief solo in the Time Machine Tour that led to Closer to the Heart.   Everything else was great, and Geddy's vocals were better here than the Time Machine DVD.  All in all, fantastic stuff from these guys.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #276 on: July 12, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »
Despite some minor qualms I have about the audio and video production of the CA Tour CD/DVD, it's probably my 2nd favorite of the post-Different Stages live albums (next to R30) because it was the best of the two tours I've seen (the other being the Time Machine Tour) and especially because of the killer setlist. I think I might be one of the few people who was extremely psyched than normal to see Where's My Thing? in the set, primarily because I had all but given up hope that they would ever play it live again prior to the tour. It's funny, but while PoW is my favorite synth-era album, I had an even greater appreciation for the PoW songs after hearing those songs live, especially Middletown Dreams. Simply put, I thought was an amazing show, and an amazing tour.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #277 on: July 12, 2014, 04:39:15 AM »
Saw the CA tour from the 10th row. Closest I've ever been or ever will be and it was probably the greatest show I've ever seen.

My only complaint is that they didn't play losing it, which normally I wouldn't care, but seriously, when you have an entire string section, for the first and perhaps only time, it really seemed like a no brainer. 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #278 on: July 12, 2014, 08:09:12 AM »
Well, that electric violin sounded completely different than any of the acoustic violins....
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: July 12, 2014, 08:45:53 AM »
Well, that electric violin sounded completely different than any of the acoustic violins....

WUT? :lol  Edit: Should be in green.

Who cares about that.  Play the damn song!  Also thought Tears would have been a killer live!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:51:04 AM by kingshmegland »