Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73608 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Roll The Bones Tour
« Reply #210 on: May 12, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »
The Counterparts Tour began in late January on the 22nd, and ended on May 7th. A short four month tour with fewer opening bands: Candlebox, The Melvins, Primus, The Doughboys, and I Mother Earth. This would be the last tour that Rush would have any opening acts.

"It was [Primus] that got us to bring back parts from 'Hemispheres'...they would jam at soundcheck with all this stuff and we'd stand at the side of the stage and laugh. We got very close with them and hung out a lot and they said, 'You know, you should bring some of that stuff back, it was so cool, it's what we grew up with...' So we figured, 'Yeah, ok!' We started messing around in sound check with bits and pieces from 'Hemispheres' and then brought it back on the last tour." - Alex Lifeson, A Show Of Fans #13, Winter 1996

The Power Windows website adds the following about the setlist:

This was the last tour in which Rush toured with an opening band. In addition, this is the only tour that did not include any part of "2112" in the setlist; in fact, nothing from the first four albums was in the set. This tour marks the return of "Hemispheres", with 'Prelude' performed for the first time in twelve years (it would only be heard again as part of the "R30 Overture"). Having fun this tour, Geddy usually introduced "Cold Fire" as a country song (often with a country music introduction), Alex again referenced a few notes from the Beach Boys' "Sloop John B" at the end of "The Trees" (a practice that began on the final leg of the previous tour), and Alex would also introduce "Stick It Out" with a humorous comment and later in the show gave humorous band introductions during the "Closer To The Heart" jam; the introductions were never the same, and never did he make correct introductions, usually introducing each member of the band as a famous celebrity.

The setlist for this tour remained constant until the addition of "Bravado" for only the final two weeks of the tour (one of those performances was included on Different Stages). Although not included in the final setlist, during pre-tour rehearsals "Distant Early Warning" was performed between "Force Ten" and "YYZ".

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Shared from Nick from is a very well known Madison show from the CP tour. This is another complete show with a bonus later-leg track included, all soundboard quality!
Counterparts Tour - "Cool Dream" 04/02/94 Dane County Coliseum, Madison, Wisconsin
www.nickeh.com/botm/rush1994-04-2.zip

For my mix of this tour, I basically took the original bootleg and just moved "Bravado" to the end of the first disc, which is where the song was played in the setlist between "Limelight" and "Mystic Rhythms".

Rush - Counterparts Tour - 129:27
(Live In Madison, WI on 4/2/94)
(Cool Dream - SBD)

Disc 1 - 67:36
 1. Intro          1:33
 2. Dreamline           5:03
 3. The Spirit Of Radio       4:55
 4. The Analog Kid       6:07
 5. Cold Fire          4:30
 6. Time Stand Still       5:40
 7. Nobody's Hero       5:03
 8. Roll The Bones       6:09
 9. Animate          7:28
10. Stick It Out       5:14
11. Double Agent       4:54
12. Limelight           4:36
13. Bravado (Bonus Track)    6:23

Disc 2 - 61:51
 1. Mystic Rhythms        6:04
 2. Closer To The Heart       5:37
 3. Show Don't Tell       5:20
 4. LTTA (intro)       1:32
 5. Leave That Thing Alone    4:40
 6. The Rhythm Method       7:21
 7. The Trees          5:18
 8. Xanadu          6:39
 9. Hemispheres: Prelude    4:17
10. Tom Sawyer          5:08
11. Force Ten          4:49
12. YYZ   / Cygnus X-1 (Teaser)    5:05

This show, and this tour, is one of my favorites of all of Rush's tours. This is a crisp and clean soundboard recording with every song from the tour and this show. There's a hefty amount of new material in this show with six of the album's eleven new songs. A lot of great classics return to the set list and find themselves after the drum solo, a place in the set where classic Rush tracks would sit in future tours.

Of the rest of the tracks, we get the three mainstays from RTB, one from Presto, two from HYF (with "Force Ten moving to the end of the show), one from POW, none from GUP, and one from SIG. The remaining 8 tracks pull from MP (3), PEW (1), HEMI (2) and AFTK (2). No tracks before AFTK are present in the set, the only time this has ever happened in a Rush tour set list.

Besides that, what we DO get is pretty good, and this show/performance in particular is pretty fantastic. The band introductions by Lerxst are a hilarious precursor to the "A Lerxst In Wonderland" Rants that he started on the VT tour and continued through the R30 tour. The band is definitely more loose and silly this tour, and you can definitely tell that they're not taking themselves too seriously anymore.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush Live - Counterparts Tour
« Reply #211 on: May 12, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »
Saw them 3 times on this tour and loved the interjection of fire which they never had before.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #212 on: May 12, 2014, 08:48:52 PM »
"...and the cross of holy fire."

:hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »
Saw them 3 times on this tour and loved the interjection of fire which they never had before.

Wow! I'm jealous! Sadly enough, I was only ten years old when this tour came about and I had never even really known about Rush (which wasn't until high school for me).

Were you surprised by the nearly static set list throughout the whole tour, or were your three shows pretty close range? It seemed up until this tour, they had rotated a few songs between legs, at least, if not on a nightly basis.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »
It was only my 3rd Rush show (after seeing them twice on the Roll the Bones tour), but we had 7th row on Alex's side, and it was awesome.  Plus, I was completely bonkers over Counterparts, so I was thrilled that they played six songs from it.  A friend of ours was bummed that Cut to the Chase wasn't one of them, but given that I figured that the other five CP played songs were all gimmes, I was happy that Double Agent was the sixth, since I love that way more than Cut to the Chase.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »
"Double Agent" is pretty fantastic live, but of the four remaining CP songs that have yet to be played live, "Cut To The Chase" would be my first choice for being pulled out of the live-vault next. It was awesome that they pulled out "Between Sun And Moon" for the Vapor Trails Tour, so there's always hope. I imagine if Rush were pulling out 80's rarities for the last tour as a "let's do this while Geddy can still sing that high" documentation, I wouldn't mind them doing some more unplayed songs from Presto-RTB-CP-TFE.

Those albums have been VERY under-represented over the years, and about half of those songs haven't been played live. Both CP and TFE (to date) have had 7/11 songs played live, while Presto and RTB each have 5 songs unplayed. That's a total of 18 Rush songs out of 43, or about 42% of that era's songs that have never been played.

To put that into perspective with the other eras/sectors:
Sector 1 - 30% unplayed
Sector 2 - 8.7% unplayed
Sector 3 - 17.6% unplayed
Sector 4 - 42% unplayed
Sector 5 - 31.6% unplayed (majority of which comes from Vapor Trails)

It seems to be a crime that so many good songs have not been done live, but I guess it must have come down to A) being too difficult to properly present the songs in a satisfying manner in a live setting OR B) being keen on playing those songs, or if they even sounded good live. Heck, they've said they've tried songs in soundchecks before tour and just dropped them because they weren't feeling them. I just hope that Alex (who seems to be the biggest pusher for rarities) raises awareness for these unplayed gems!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2014, 02:18:44 PM »
They have enough material now to where they shouldn't bother with anything from Test for Echo ever again.

I like Heresy and The Big Wheel quite a bit, but I am not sure either would go over well live.  The other three unplayed RTB songs are unworthy of being played.

Chain Lightning and Available Light would be cool, but both would be difficult to do justice to. 

Anything from CP is fine by me, but I gotta think that if any of those four unplayed songs were ever gonna be played, they would have been by now.

Besides, playing something just so they can say they played a previously-unplayed song is pointless. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »
Besides, playing something just so they can say they played a previously-unplayed song is pointless.

I suppose, especially with a catalog as vast and deep as Rush's, but it just feels like a damn shame that they wrote all those songs and when it came time to tour, they somehow deemed them unworthy to perform live, or perhaps they had second thoughts upon them (*cough Tai Shan cough*).

Honestly, though, if any unplayed songs deserve to be brought out, it should be ones from VT, whose tour was more of a "come back tour" and thus, much of the show had to be set aside for classics and hits, with only a scant FIVE new songs (less than the 6 and 7 of the previous two tours).

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
Alex said back then that the bulk of the album was unplayable live, likely from being ripe with so many overdubs, but possibly also cause the lyrics are so raw in regards to what Neil went through in the late 90s, that the songs might be too emotional for him/them to play.  It's probably more of the former than the latter, but I can't imagine they couldn't make a song like Vapor Trail work live.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2014, 08:03:33 PM »

Wow! I'm jealous! Sadly enough, I was only ten years old when this tour came about and I had never even really known about Rush (which wasn't until high school for me).

Were you surprised by the nearly static set list throughout the whole tour, or were your three shows pretty close range? It seemed up until this tour, they had rotated a few songs between legs, at least, if not on a nightly basis.

-Marc.

Cygnus X-1 (Teaser)  was the one part that through me for a loop but I loved hearing the songs from Counterparts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2014, 09:00:48 PM »
They have enough material now to where they shouldn't bother with anything from Test for Echo ever again.

This was an album that I wish would have gotten the S&A/CA treatment. Not much I wouldn't give for live versions of Time and Motion or The Color of Right.

TFE is easily my favorite album from "sector 4". None of the others even come close.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »
Having just got into Rush, this thread has been a great help at understanding why people love Rush. I'll have more thoughts about the Counterparts tour bootleg when I've listened to it so more, but I think this might be my second favourite Rush tour so far.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »
"Double Agent" is pretty fantastic live, but of the four remaining CP songs that have yet to be played live, "Cut To The Chase" would be my first choice for being pulled out of the live-vault next. It was awesome that they pulled out "Between Sun And Moon" for the Vapor Trails Tour, so there's always hope. I imagine if Rush were pulling out 80's rarities for the last tour as a "let's do this while Geddy can still sing that high" documentation, I wouldn't mind them doing some more unplayed songs from Presto-RTB-CP-TFE.

Those albums have been VERY under-represented over the years, and about half of those songs haven't been played live. Both CP and TFE (to date) have had 7/11 songs played live, while Presto and RTB each have 5 songs unplayed. That's a total of 18 Rush songs out of 43, or about 42% of that era's songs that have never been played.

To put that into perspective with the other eras/sectors:
Sector 1 - 30% unplayed
Sector 2 - 8.7% unplayed
Sector 3 - 17.6% unplayed
Sector 4 - 42% unplayed
Sector 5 - 31.6% unplayed (majority of which comes from Vapor Trails)

It seems to be a crime that so many good songs have not been done live, but I guess it must have come down to A) being too difficult to properly present the songs in a satisfying manner in a live setting OR B) being keen on playing those songs, or if they even sounded good live. Heck, they've said they've tried songs in soundchecks before tour and just dropped them because they weren't feeling them. I just hope that Alex (who seems to be the biggest pusher for rarities) raises awareness for these unplayed gems!

-Marc.

Cool breakdown. Never saw the numbers on that before.

This tour begins what I consider to be the golden era of Rush live.  Saw them twice at the Garden, once at the Meadowlands and once in Philly on this tour. Not an extensive tour this time because Geddy wanted to be home for the birth of his daughter.

Lots of incredible shows on this tour though things were a little rusty on the first leg.

That 4/2/94 Wisconsin show is cool but I'm partial to The Detroit, Philly and Toronto shows myself.

Possible my favorite version EVER of Xanadu was played on this tour. It literally sounded like the entire arena was ready to take off during the intro. Hearing Prelude for the the firs time ever was pretty mind blowing to me to as I thought it would never happen.

This is the first tour that the band pulled out at least one very unexpected surprise during the set (I much appreciated tradition that continues to this day)

So many cool things in this set to enjoy.... The country intro to Cold Fire, Nobody's Hero, Animate, The amazing outro in Bravado, Mystic Rhythms making it back into the set, the introductions during Closer To The Heart. LEAVE THAT THIN ALONE!

I thought there would be more available on you tube since this tour had been the most extensively "covered" to date.

But here are a few highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA052A5B08B83DCE0

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL79A7714AEA91E85D

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8035C5A1A637CD89

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxdQPB6LKQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13uW49EeA0

Oh and for those that complain about Geddy's voice need only to listen to this recording where he was CLEARLY under the weather.

You can't help but suffer along with him on this as it's really that bad. Definitely no highlight, but think of this when you feel like complaining about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJUsF_YC5U

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #223 on: June 01, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »
Forgot to add that this was the first tour that a full dress rehearsal has surfaced.  It's a soundboard, so those that aren't into anything else may like it more.  I always like these kinds of recording because they tend to be very quirky in nature with dropped vocal lines or random banter and such.  It's also pretty cool to hear how locked in the guys are when they aren't really performing for anyone. It's  kind of  "fly on the wall" that way.  Just running through the set and it's still pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGE7gquMRs

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: June 01, 2014, 07:21:22 PM »
This tour was the only show out of the 30 I've seen that was on my birthday and it was a Saturday to boot!

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Test For Echo Tour
« Reply #225 on: June 02, 2014, 04:38:57 PM »
Test For Echo came out September 10th, 1996, and the following month saw the start of the tour on October 19th, with a break between December and May.

"According to Billboard's Boxscore, Rush performed 47 shows during that tour between October 1996 and July 1997. Seven of those dates-again consisting of arenas and amphitheaters-were sold out. Tickets were in the $40-25 range, with gross ticket sales totaling almost $14 million. Total attendance was recorded at 481,364 people." - Billboard, June 22, 2002

"No. You can't go back." - Neil Peart (when asked if Rush would ever again play the full version of "2112" in concert), Rush Backstage Club Newsletter, 1988
This was the first time Rush toured without an opening act; with the extra time available, "2112" was performed in its entirety for the first time ever (including 'Oracle'), and the "oldies" medley was dropped in favor of more complete songs. "Natural Science" made a triumphant return after a fifteen year rest.

Bringing back "Natural Science", as well as the first ever complete performances of "2112" was a BIG deal, and I can only imagine the shock and awe Rush fans felt on the night of the first show of the tour in Albany, NY.

The Power Windows website adds the following about the setlist:
Setlist changes during this tour: "Resist" and "Time and Motion" were both performed for the first two dates only; following these two dates, the band alternated these two songs from one night to the next (and as demonstrated in various recordings, both were introduced with a Scottish reference). After the first ten dates, "Time and Motion" was dropped completely in favor of "Resist" and the setlist remained constant throughout the rest of the tour. The Surfaris' "Wipe Out", last performed during the Presto tour, was brought back for the first leg of this tour as the second half of a medley with "The Big Money", but was eventually dropped from the second leg.

The second leg of the tour varied from the first with the following changes: "The Big Money"/"Wipe Out" was dropped and replaced with "Limelight" and "Stick It Out"; "Subdivisions" was also dropped; "Red Sector A" moved up in the set to follow "Freewill".

Shared from Nick from is the famous Mansfield, MA show titled "Great Woods And Summer Skies". It's one of the most well known soundboards from the TFE tour, and my pick here for my Complete Tours compilations.
Test For Echo Tour - "Great Woods & Summer Skies" Mansfield, MA on 6/23/97
www.nickeh.com/botm/rush1997-06-23.zip

For my mix of this tour, I used the complete bootleg from the above show and tacked on the songs missing from this set on to the end, much like how Rush would later do with future tour releases (Rush In Rio, Snakes & Arrows Tour Live, and the recently release Clockwork Angels Tour).

Rush -  Test For Echo Tour - 177:47
(Live In Mansfield, MA on 6/23/97)
(Great Woods & Summer Skies - SBD)

Disc 1 - 67:22
 1. Thus Spake Zarathustra    1:48
 2. Dreamline          5:06
 3. Limelight          4:26
 4. Stick It Out       4:58
 5. Driven          5:20
 6. Half The World       3:54
 7. Red Barchetta       6:55
 8. Animate          6:55
 9. Limbo          5:24
10. The Trees          5:36
11. Virtuality          6:25
12. Nobody's Hero       5:04
13. Closer To The Heart       5:31

Disc 2 - 63:56
 1. 2112         21:22
 2. Test For Echo       7:12
 3. Freewill          5:37
 4. Red Sector A       5:17
 5. Roll The Bones       6:32
 6. Resist          4:23
 7. Leave That Thing Alone    4:49
 8. The Rhythm Method       8:44

Disc 3 - 29:22 + 17:07 = 46:29
 1. Natural Science       8:14
 2. Force Ten          4:43
 3. The Spirit of Radio       4:55
 4. Tom Sawyer          6:20
 5. YYZ   / Cygnus X-1 (Teaser)    5:10
--------1st Leg Bonus Tracks---------
 6. The Big Money/Wipe Out*    6:21
 7. Subdivisions*       5:45
 8. Time And Motion^       5:01

*(Bigger & Better In Texas SBD)
 (Live In Houston, TX on 12/5/96)
^(An Absolut Rush AUD DAT)
 (Live In Landover, MD on 11/7/96)

Throughout the course of the tour, between setlist changes and A/B swaps, the band performed 7 new songs out of the 11 from the album. This was on-par with what they did last tour, so it was great that they liked as much of the new material as they did, even if "Time And Motion" got dropped. Of Counterparts, they brought back 4 songs, and from Roll The Bones they played the opener and the title track - nothing from Presto.

Of the remaining 14 songs, half of them came from PEW/MP, four from the remaining 80's albums, and rest from the 70's (being "2112", "The Trees" and "Closer To The Heart", all of which were in the first set, possibly to take advantage of Geddy's voice health in the start of the show).

Over all, this is a fairly balanced tour, especially with the complete "2112" taking up 1/8th of the shows set time. There are plenty of oldies, plenty of newer (and rocking) songs, and a few scattered usuals from the middle eras. Of this show in particular, it's a great live performance from near the end of the tour, being the 8th to last show.  Parts of this show were used to compile tracks for the Rush released Different Stages, so if you haven't heard the WHOLE TFE tour show, here's your chance! This is a great set list and I kind of wished they had just released this whole show, especially since it's got 13 songs from the (then) last three albums.

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: June 02, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »
And this guy was at that show!  6th row in front of Geddy!! :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #227 on: June 02, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Absolutely amazing tour from one of my all-time favorite Rush albums.   

I was 10th row at the George, Washington show.   It was a beautiful night and Rush played against the backdrop of the sun setting on the Columbia Gorge.    It was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. 

Just wish I would've got to see Time and Motion...absolutely freaking AMAZING song. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #228 on: June 02, 2014, 05:45:42 PM »
Test for Echo tour!!!!!  The dawning of a new era for Rush where they started doing three hour shows.  I'm sure, back then, when Rush announced that they are doing this kind of tour, people wanted 2112 in its entirety and that's what they got and was a cool thing for Rush to do.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #229 on: June 02, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »
The fact that they were gonna play all of 2112 was spoiled by a KSHE deejay a day before our concert back in '97, but it was still totally awesome when it happened.  Natural Science was a massive, and more than welcomed, surprise, too.

At the time, I enjoyed Test for Echo quite a bit, so I was fine with them playing six songs from it (THANK GOD they dropped Time and Motion early on, so we didn't have to sit through that abomination).

Also, this was the first tour where Alex Lifeson played the beginning of Closer to the Heart on an electric (using the acoustic pick-up or whatever it is called) instead of the acoustic. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #230 on: June 13, 2014, 05:48:16 PM »
More later but I saw this tour three times on each leg including my first opening night.

I paid a scalper (for the only time ever) $500 for two fifth row seats at Jones Beach.

Of course now that's pretty much the regular price.

Lots of great shows to experience too.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush Live - The Vapor Trails Tour
« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2014, 01:58:28 AM »
The Vapor Trails Tour began on June 28th and ended on November 23rd of 2002. Over the course of five months straight and 66 shows, they toured across North AND South America. As was the case on the LAST tour, there was no opening act, and instead, the show featured an intermission with video entertainment at the start of both sets. The show grew in terms of video and light production - something that has continued to grow ever since - and the stage itself began to take on some neat changes as well!

The Power Windows website has this to say about this tour:
For this tour every album was represented except for Caress of Steel and Hold Your Fire. This tour marks the return of "Cygnus X-1" (Prologue) after a twenty-two year rest (not counting the short teaser performed on every tour since '92). In addition, both "Working Man" and "By-Tor and the Snowdog" returned to the setlist after a twenty year rest, "New World Man" returned after a sixteen year rest, while "Closer To The Heart" and "Force Ten" were dropped for the first time since their inceptions (although "CTTH" would be brought back for the final U.S. date as well as the dates in Mexico and Brazil). It is also worth noting that in the tradition of "Witch Hunt", "Between Sun And Moon" was performed live for the first time though it was released eight years before.

Similar to the band introductions given on the Counterparts tour, each night Alex performed a unique rant during "La Villa Strangiato", a practice that would continue through the subsequent R30 tour. The drum solo included a complete triggered big band sample of "One O'Clock Jump", which Neil had performed with the Buddy Rich Band on Burning for Buddy Vol. II. "Resist" was performed acoustically, the first acoustic performance ever to be included in the setlist.

There were a LOT of firsts for this tour, and I think it finally showed us that while the band was growing old, they weren't really "growing up". Alex's silly rants, Neil coming out of his shell a bit, and Geddy hamming it up night-to-night all showed the fans that their favorite band was back, and in top form!

As this tour was the first of the recent, post-hiatus tours to get a live release after every tour, I've decided not to offer any live material (as will be the case from now on). I will suggest, however, that you seek out the following show for the bonus live track I've tacked on to the end of my re-cut of the officially released live show, Rush In Rio.
Matrix Atlanta 02 - Philips Arena, Atlanta, Georgia on October 13, 2002

Rush - Rush In Rio - 176:17
(Live In Rio De Jinero, Brazil)
Complete Show + 3 Bonus Tracks

Disc 1 - 69:38 (As Is)
 1. Tom Sawyer           5:10
 2. Distant Early Warning     4:48
 3. New World Man        4:03
 4. Roll The Bones        6:03
 5. Earthshine           5:42
 6. YYZ           4:35
 7. The Pass           4:50
 8. Bravado           6:15
 9. The Big Money        5:58
10. The Trees           5:07
11. Freewill           5:32
12. Closer To The Heart     3:01
13. Natural Science        8:34

Disc 2 - 51:10
 1. One Little Victory        5:32
 2. Driven           5:05
 3. Ghost Rider        5:36
 4. Secret Touch        7:00
 5. Dreamline           5:04
 6. Red Sector A        5:12
 7. Leave That Thing Alone!     4:59
 8. O Baterista (Drum Solo)    8:18
 9. Resist           4:24

Disc 3 - 40:24 + 15:06 = 55:29
 1. 2112 (I - II)       6:50
 2. Limelight           4:25
 3. La Villa Strangiato    10:05
 4. The Spirit Of Radio     5:29
 5. By-Tor And The Snowdog     4:35
 6. Cygnus X-1 (Prologue)     3:12
 7. Working Man        5:48
--------(The Board Bootlegs)---------
 8. Between Sun & Moon (Bonus)    4:44
 9. Vital Signs (Bonus)       4:48
10. Ceiling Unlimited*       5:34

*Sourced from:
(Live In Atlanta, GA on 10/13/02)

For this tour, I used the already mostly-complete release of Rush In Rio. I say "mostly-complete" because for SOME reason, they never gave us a live version of "Ceiling Unlimited", a NEW song from their NEW album! I always thought it was a shame that they neglected that song as much as they already did, having alternated it with "Ghost Rider" until the last month of the tour, where it was dropped completely in favor for "Ghost Rider". Don't get me wrong, I love "Ghost Rider", but the least they could have done was given "Ceiling Unlimited" to us as a bonus track like they did for the OTHER alternate songs, "Between Sun & Moon" and "Vital Signs", the former of which was played for the FIRST time this tour, and the latter of which returns from a 10-year rest (last seen on the RTB tour).

One other note about my re-cut of this show is that I moved "2112" to start the third disc. This was to place all of their older material all on one disc, opening with the first two parts of the epic "2112" and going through more tunes from their first 8 albums. On this tour and the next, they shifted their older material towards the end of the show, so I saw it fit to move "2112" to open the third disc. It also evened out discs 2 and 3 a bit as well.

For this tour, the band decided to bring back some classics and even out the set a bit. This is evident in the fact that ONLY FIVE NEW SONGS were played!! That's less than 45%, a ratio that had never occurred before now. The usual percentage of new songs played live was usually around half, but this time, it was only 5 out of 13, or only 38%! And this isn't counting the fact that GR and CU were alternated for most of the tour! The rest of the show contains 13 songs from the first 8 albums, with the bulk of them at the end of each set (14 if you count the "Vital Signs" bonus track), 4 songs from the Synth-Era/Sector Three, and 8 songs from Sector Four (or the Atlantic albums). That's not bad, with half the songs covering the first half of their career (Rush-MP), the other half from their latter portion of their career (SIG-TFE).

It's a good mix, certainly, although I would've swapped one or two songs out for others, but given this was a mass-appeal "come back tour", they needed some hits and singles that everyone would know. In fact, the first set includes ALL singles with the exceptions of "Natural Science", "Earthshine" and "YYZ" (as well as the alternate track "Between Sun And Moon"). Heck, even in the 2nd set between "One Little Victory" and "The Spirit Of Radio", those are all singles as well with the only exceptions being "Ghost Rider" (and "Ceiling Unlimited"), "Leave That Thing Alone!" and "La Villa Strangiato" (although their instrumentals were never really meant to be singles to begin with). So out of the 31 songs performed this tour, about 1/3 of them are NOT singles. That's pretty astounding, especially considering what we've gotten in the tours SINCE then!

As for this show itself - well, if you're a Rush fan, chances are you've already listened to this show...a lot...many times, in fact, and I'm sure I don't have to say much about it. I'm sure many fans were NOT expecting a live album from this tour, instead expecting Rush to continue their "Four studio albums, One live album" routine they started awhile back, but this was not the case! To document what would become their "Come Back tour" (from an indefinite hiatus), they celebrated with this release! This show the last of the tour, and featured their 2nd largest audience (with 40,000 people!) during their first time in Brazil!

The show is full of energy, with both the band and the crowd helping to bring Rush music alive! One of the most well-known moments is hearing the storming crowd sing along to the instrumental "YYZ", which is a highlight of this show for me. There's so many great moments on here, especially the Lerxst Rant (which happened throughout the VT Tour, and even continued on the following R30 Tour), the beautiful 1-2 Punch of "The Pass" and "Bravado", and the acoustic rendition of "Resist". This is such a good show, and while the overactive audience might put off some fans, I think it adds to such a historically significant show and live release. As if the album Vapor Trails wasn't enough of a loud come back, this live album is a testament to the ever-growing and expanding live-force that is Rush!

...whew. That was a lot to type. Time for bed! Four AM is pretty late...lol

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: June 14, 2014, 04:56:41 AM »
I was lucky enough to see them on the opening night of the tour in Hartford.  it was a special night and very emotional.  We were lucky to see them play Between Sun And Moon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2014, 08:59:11 AM »
I've seen the band 11 times, and I can safely say that the show I saw on the Vapor Trails is the best one I've seen. In fact, it's probably my number 2 concert ever (behind when I saw Pink Floyd at Arrowhead Stadium in '94).  The combination of it being the first time seeing them in five years with the magnificent set list just made it absolutely perfect.  And it was a gorgeous August night, too.  Hard to believe it's been almost 12 years.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
my first Rush show!  Saw them on the fifth date of the tour - July 4 in Raleigh, NC.  I was so hyped to go to this show.  Terrific setlist!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2014, 09:28:55 PM »
Still on the Test For Echo Tour  (Vapor Trails will come later)

My first time at an opening night was pretty amazing. The band wasn't quite up to snuff, but there is always a lot of love from the fans on opening night as it seems to be a traveling show.

The highlight of the whole set for me is Resist-Leave That Thing Alone-Neil solo and Natural Science. That's one of my favorite four  Rush song live runs of all-time.

One of my favorite memories is seeing Dream Theater Dec. 14 of that year and seeing Rush the following night. I had a shirt made up for that one.

This tour is pretty much the prototype to what the Rush show is today. This is the tour where they finally decided to just be themselves and have as much fun as possible.

Also by this point I'd already been pretty sick of Closer to The Heart for some time, but the jam at the end easily makes this my favorite version ever. I think it's actually one of the best live moments in Rush's extensive history.

I'm not 100 percent positive, but I think this might be the first tour that every show was recorded by someone.

There are plenty of great shows on either leg although I prefer the second leg because it was outdoors and they seemed to firing on all cylinders a little more consistently.  I do think the first set is the better set though.

There is also another dress rehearsal floating around that is really cool to listen to.

And you have opening night here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZC8mC83cXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozvutM9M3hQ

This of course is one of the better shows from Landover, Md. 11/7/96

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlrJW1nBNZs

As far as the second leg goes, this is the show that most of Different Stages is taken from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51l_GpkSZlg

The last several shows from the leg in Canada are pretty fantastic too including the one from Toronto that was supposed to become a live DVD before syncing problems ruined it.

Kinda surprised not a lot of this is up on you tube but it's been documented.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2014, 05:07:45 AM »
Man, how did I miss commenting on all these!?!?!?

Presto Tour... I just missed this one.  I had just become a serious Rush fan with the release of Chronicles, so the Toronto show was already sold out by the time I realized I'd want to see them.  Financial and work circumstances prevented me from going to the show anyway.   >:(

RTB Tour... I'll echo Kev's post.

My first Rush tour.  Looking at the set list, it's not hard to imagine ways to have improved it (the Xanadu/Superconductor segue is still the biggest WTF in Rush live history), but at the time, as someone who had literally just gotten into the band over the previous two months, the show I saw was, at the time, the greatest thing ever. :coolio

I was back in high school, and decided to fuck off for the day with my buddy in preparation for the show.  We got baked all day long, listening to All the World's, Exit... , and A Show of Hands.  Knowing that Xanadu had this bitching laser light show, and it being my favorite song, we saved this 'Cheech-and-Chong' sized reefer.  When the lights went down, and the synth kicked in, we lit the fucker up!  I remember thinking the guitar intro of Limelight was the loudest fucking thing I'd ever heard in my life to that point.  Being higher than a kite probably had something to do with that.

CP tour... the only one I've missed.  I was in Uni, and had neither the ability or finances to get down to Maple Leaf Gardens for the show.  :sadpanda:

TFE tour... saw them 3 times that show.  Me and a couple of buddies drove down to Buffalo to see them at the Aud.  Traded in our 8th row seats at the back for like 25th row floor.  Bad f'n idea.  Couldn't really see shit.  But hearing 2112 complete made it worthwhile.  They really hyped the return of 2112 and Natural Science for that tour.  Also had 8th row floor at the Molson Amphitheater (Alex side), which is an outdoor venue in Toronto.  THAT was an amazing show.

VP tour... I honestly don't remember this one, but remember I was absolutely thrilled they were back together touring.  Rush in Rio is possibly one of the greatest visuals.  I absolutely love the intensity and passion of the fans.  Gives me chills everytime I watch it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #237 on: June 18, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »
Great stories from everyone! I'm enjoying reading these! Keep them up! :tup

As for me, well Rush In Rio was the band's first real new release that came out after I became a huge fan of their work. I had gotten Vapor Trails not too long after it came out in 2002, and I wasn't really paying TOO much attention to the band until 2003. I had bought the CD version of RIR at my local Target, but didn't have the money for the DVD. Luckily, my dad got it for me that Christmas, so I had the whole set of CD and DVD! My Rush collection began growing! I think by March or so of 2004 I had every Rush CD up to that point. Hard to believe it's been over 10 years since then!

Anyways, I'll probably be posting about the R30 tour in the next couple of days, so this is the last bump for anyone who wants to catch up and talk about the VT Tour!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2014, 11:38:16 PM »
The R30: 30th Anniversary Tour began on May 26th and ended on October 1st of 2004. The two-leg tour took them through North America and Europe over 58 shows, visiting many places they hadn't on the last tour, especially in Europe.

The Power Windows website has this to say about this tour:
The setlist remained the same throughout the tour, the first time this had occured since the Hold Your Fire tour. Every album except Presto was represented, although a snippet of "Scars" remains as part of Neil's drum solo. This tour included an all new six song instrumental medley titled "R30 Overture" with each segment lasting approximately 1-1:30. These first six songs, and the following complete seventh song, are from the first seven albums played in chronological order. Counting "R30 Overture" as one song, there were 30 songs played.

"Animate" was slightly rearranged for this tour: in the studio version the opening chorus is sung in full; for the R30 version the chorus is broken up such that the first half is sung at the beginning of the song and the second half after the first verse (it is sung in full after the fourth verse). "Red Barchetta" was the original arrangement, versus the psuedo-pop version toured in the 90's. "Between The Wheels" was played for the first time since the Power Windows warm-up tour.

For the first time ever, "Grand Finale" was added to the "2112 Overture/Temples Of Syrinx" medley and "Working Man" concluded with a reggae ending (similar but unique to the reggae intro to "Working Man" which was last played during the Moving Pictures tour). The drum solo was similar to that of the previous tour in that it included the triggered big band sample of "One O'clock Jump", which Neil performed with the Buddy Rich Band on Burning for Buddy Vol. II. It it worth noting that this is the tour which included "Roll The Bones".

Continuing the practice begun on the Vapor Trails tour, each night Alex performed a unique "rant" during "La Villa Strangiato", and at the end of "The Trees" he played a bit of The Beatles' "I Feel Fine" followed by "Day Tripper" (in 1990, when asked what songs inspired him to play guitar, he began with "Well, I remember hearing the beginning of 'I Feel Fine' by the Beatles. There's a little bit of feedback that rings out in the beginning, and I thought that was the coolest thing I've ever heard! Also the riff to 'Day Tripper'..." - Guitar School, May 1990, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 20-24). Click here for additional comments regarding the setlist.

The original R30 box set included the audio of the DVDs on 2CDs. However, this was NOT the full show. Eight songs were excluded because they were repeats of songs from their last live album, Rush In Rio. Because of this, a later Blu-Ray was released with the FULL show intact. My 3CD set of this tour is the audio from that release, and as such, is the complete performance. It also helps to match with the previous two 3CD sets (TFE and VT Tours), and the future sets as well (S&A, TM, and CA Tours). As for alternatives to the official audio of this tour, there are PLENTY of good bootlegs out there, but I cannot recall any to recommend at this moment. Maybe YOU guys can help with that?

Rush - R30 - 173:10
(Live In Frankfurt, Germany)
Complete Show

Disc 1 - 73:54
 1. R30 Overture       6:44
 2. The Spirit Of Radio     5:05
 3. Force Ten           4:50
 4. Animate           5:57
 5. Subdivisions        6:07
 6. Earthshine          5:45
 7. Red Barchetta        6:55
 8. Roll The Bones        6:04
 9. Bravado           6:11
10. YYZ           4:44
11. The Trees           5:27
12. The Seeker           3:32
13. One Little Victory        6:33

Disc 2 - 50:32
 1. Tom Sawyer           5:03
 2. Dreamline           5:12
 3. Secret Touch        7:18
 4. Between The Wheels        6:00
 5. Mystic Rhythms        5:29
 6. Red Sector A        5:09
 7. Der Trommler (Drum Solo)     9:01
 8. Resist          4:33
 9. Heart Full Of Soul       2:47

Disc 3 - 48:44
 1. 2112 (I - II - VII)       8:15
 2. La Villa Strangiato     9:23
 3. By-Tor And The Snowdog     4:33
 4. Xanadu           6:59
 5. Working Man        6:51
 6. Summertime Blues        3:42
 7. Crossroads           3:14
 8. Limelight          5:47

Note - with the whole show, the third disc now closely resembles the third disc from the LAST tour! In fact there are five songs that are the same: "2112" (well, now with the "Grand Finale"), "La Villa Strangiato" (still with the Lerxst rants!), "By-Tor And The Snowdog", "Working Man" and "Limelight". With the addition of "Xanadu", the first five tracks on this disc all come from the band's 70's/first six albums, and also represent one song each from those six albums with the exception of Caress Of Steel (which is a great way to mirror the opening "R30 Overture", which features the first six albums in order at the start of the show).

OKAY...so I had a HUGE post I was typing before and I accidentally backed out of the reply and lost it all, so this will be brief before I go to bed.

This is a great show, and no matter what haters say, I enjoy it a lot. It's a very even set, it has a LOT of great song choices and swap-outs from the previous tour: "Subdivisions" joins the set in place of "New World Man", "Between The Wheels" instead of "Distant Early Warning",  "Mystic Rhythms" for "The Big Money" (haha, the last two from GUP and POW were openers swapped for closers), "Animate" instead of "Leave That Thing Alone!"/"Between Sun And Moon", and "Xanadu" for "Closer To The Heart". I do miss more of PEW, though, with "The Spirit Of Radio" being it's only representative.

And speaking of album representatives, every studio album and their new EP all have at LEAST one song performed...except Presto. Poor, poor Presto. Such little love, but at least your title track will get played in a couple tours, right?

The performance itself is pretty solid considering it was recorded on their fifth-to-last show of the whole tour! This is a good audience, and the recording is just right for those who felt the Brazilian audience was mixed a bit too loud on the last live album. I really enjoy Neil's drum solo here, and it was the culmination of a solo he had been working on since the 80's. Everything he wanted and had been working on is in here and it was the best it was going to be before he would tear it all down and start from scratch (as we'll see next tour).

I remember getting their covers EP and being mildly excited about it, but that excitement wore off quick. As this tour was their first one after I became a huge fan, I had hoped to be able to watch them, but I never had the time or money. Instead, I resorted to joining DIME and waiting for countless bootlegs of the tour! I remember getting one of the opening night titled 30 Years Strong and loving it. I must have listened to it for weeks. I got another one later one titled Penultimate R30 At The Globe, which was taken from the second-to-last show of the tour, and was pretty damn good audience recording! I listened to that for months until the official R30 show came out, although I was greatly disappointed that it wasn't the whole show! I wanted my 3-hour, 3CD Rush experience! Thankfully I am now able to enjoy it!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:49:36 AM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush Live - The R30: 30th Anniversary Tour
« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »
It kind of goes without saying that I have loved every Rush tour I have seen, so saying it again is kind of pointing out the obvious. :lol

In a vacuum, this set list is beastly despite the presence of some covers, but I get why some say it is their least special of the 21st century, considering the only Rush songs you get here that you won't find on any other 21st century tour are Animate (which wasn't that good cause they played it slower than normal, which took away some of the aggressive drive of the song, and not doing the full chorus each time was a big mistake), Mystic Rhythms and the abbreviated Xanadu (can they please play this in full ONCE again before they retire??).

All of that aside, I did see the full concert on a friend's Blu-ray a few months back and it was definitely most awesome.  They were absolutely on fire at that show.  :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2014, 12:14:30 AM »
In a vacuum, this set list is beastly despite the presence of some covers, but I get why some say it is their least special of the 21st century, considering the only Rush songs you get here that you won't find on any other 21st century tour are Animate (which wasn't that good cause they played it slower than normal, which took away some of the aggressive drive of the song, and not doing the full chorus each time was a big mistake), Mystic Rhythms and the abbreviated Xanadu (can they please play this in full ONCE again before they retire??).

Hmm, I had not thought about it that way, but you're right. Only those 3 songs, plus the R30 Overture, are the only unique songs to this set list from the recent tours. As for Xanadu, I doubt they'll ever play the whole thing ever again. Same goes for songs like "Working Man" (which has been slightly truncated for many years), "By-Tor & The Snow Dog", "Cygnus X-1" (either Book), "2112", or "Natural Science". It just seems like their longer songs won't ever get the full treatment ever again, especially as the band ages and it becomes increasingly difficult for them to play their older stuff, well, mostly Geddy and his voice.

-Marc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2014, 05:38:01 AM »
Good show and DVD.  I wasn't a fan of their covers album at all, but recognize why they did it.  But for me, it (having followed a sub-par album in VT) signaled the decline/end of Rush as I knew them.  Thankfully, time proved me wrong.  This show is also marred by the fact I took my brother with me to see them, in a last ditch effort to reconnect with him (we'd been disenchanted for quite a few years).  Alas, it never went anywhere.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #242 on: June 21, 2014, 08:37:23 AM »

Hmm, I had not thought about it that way, but you're right. Only those 3 songs, plus the R30 Overture, are the only unique songs to this set list from the recent tours. As for Xanadu, I doubt they'll ever play the whole thing ever again. Same goes for songs like "Working Man" (which has been slightly truncated for many years), "By-Tor & The Snow Dog", "Cygnus X-1" (either Book), "2112", or "Natural Science". It just seems like their longer songs won't ever get the full treatment ever again, especially as the band ages and it becomes increasingly difficult for them to play their older stuff, well, mostly Geddy and his voice.

I have been pretty outspoken about how much Geddy's live vocals have dropped off recently, and while it's true that many of those 70s songs are unplayable for that very reason (Geddy simply cannot sing them), Xanadu is mostly instrumental, and I'd take him struggling through some of the challenging vocal parts if I got to see and hear the rest of the full song. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #243 on: June 21, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »

I have been pretty outspoken about how much Geddy's live vocals have dropped off recently, and while it's true that many of those 70s songs are unplayable for that very reason (Geddy simply cannot sing them), Xanadu is mostly instrumental, and I'd take him struggling through some of the challenging vocal parts if I got to see and hear the rest of the full song.

Fair enough, and I think he'd have a better chance at singing the entirety of "Xanadu" than, say, "Cygnus X-1, Book I: The Voyage" or even parts of "Hemispheres" or "2112". Maybe we will, maybe we won't, but at the rate they're going, they're more likely to pull out more 80's and 90's tracks.

-Marc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: June 21, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »

My feelings exactly.