Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73335 times)

Offline The Letter M

As I mentioned in the main Rush thread, this will be a thread discussing solely the LIVE aspect of Rush, from their first tour on their debut album, all the way up to today. Each week (or so), I will update the thread as we go through every major tour the band has gone on, discussing the set list, various aspects of the show (including song changes, video intros/accompaniments, etc.), various important/well-known bootlegs, as well as official releases, and how the band has evolved their show over-all from tour to tour. Most of my information will come from the Power Windows website and The Digital Rush Experience (bootleg directory).

As I also mentioned, this thread will allow me to talk about and share one of my recent projects where I found the best sounding and/or most complete bootlegs from each tour to create a full show that includes all (or almost all) of the songs played on that tour for personal use on CD-r/iPod. The idea came to me when I realized the Snakes & Arrows Live DVD had four 2nd Leg songs from Atlanta as bonuses, and I wanted to put them at the end of my S&AL set, a la Rush In Rio's "Board Bootlegs". After doing that, I felt compelled to do the same for R30 (whose Blu-Ray release gave us the FULL show, which I then put on 3 CDs) and the Vapor Trails Tours (where I found a good version of "Ceiling Unlimited" to tack on the end of the Rush In Rio).

After "fixing" all the recent tours for full CD-r versions, I decided to go back through my bootleg collection and do the same for every other tour, or at least, do as best as I could with what bootlegs I could find! It took me about a month or so to compile my lists, figuring out which shows to use, and for those that were incomplete soundboards, which audience boots to use to fill in the missing songs. After figuring that out, it was just down to doing some audio editing! Weeks later, I created my "Rush Complete Live Tours" set, a whopping 43 CDs of live Rush!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The band's first major tour ran from March 18, 1974 to January 31, 1975 and took them across Canada, the northeast US and down the east coast, then across the US to the west coast before coming back to Canada and the northeast for more shows. It was a long 11 months of nearly constant touring, but a fledgling young band had to do that in those days. They opened for Uriah Heep, KISS, Manfred Mann, Rory Gallagher, Hawkwind, Blue Oyster Cult, and Nazareth. Here are some tidbits from the Power Windows website:

This was obviously a very busy time for Rush. The debut album was released in Canada in March, and drummer John Rutsey left the band in July due to health concerns regarding his type-1 diabetes. Neil Peart joined the band on July 29th (Geddy's 21st birthday), two weeks before the start of their first U.S. tour. The setlists varied from show to show, as Rush honed their skills and performed possible songs for their second album.

"I consider them brothers. They were like brothers to me. More so than Gene and Ace and Paul. I hung with them personally. Like, after every night we would go out - true story ... and we were in Holiday Inns then, not Ritz Carlton's or Four Seasons ... - and we would get on the balcony in a snowstorm, get all the blankets from everybody's room, cover ourselves with them like Eskimos and share a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red. We got along so great. We talked about our wives - how we missed them, and our kids and how we missed them, and our moms and dads. We got to be really good friends. I love those guys. Those guys could never do wrong in my book." - Peter Criss of KISS, That Metal Show, November 28, 2009

"I have so many road stories, but one that always comes to mind is the tour we did in the summer of 1975 with Rush opening for us. I always liked Rush (and still do). After a few weeks on tour I started to get to know the guys in the band, and their very funny tour manager, Howie. One thing led to another and before long Peter and I were getting visits from the Rush boys. It usually turned into late evenings filled with beer and grass and whatever else was around. Alex Lifeson, the band's guitarist, used to do this hysterical routine with a large paper laundry bag. He'd draw a ridiculous giant face on the bag with a black marker and put it over his head with a couple of holes poked in it so he could see and breathe. Everyone in the room at this point was either drunk or stoned, but usually a little of both. Anyway, Alex would go into this routine with the bag over his head and while smoking a joint out of his eye he put everyone into total hysterics. He really milked the routine until everyone was gasping for air!" - Ace Frehley of KISS, No Regrets, page 188

"Neil was incredible. I remember that when Neil joined the band and started writing the songs with them, Paul Stanley told me, 'I love Neil to death, but he ruined that band. They will never be anything.'" - Mick Campise, Kiss Roadie, Kiss Alive Forever: The Complete Touring History

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The first tour was pretty easy, the 2 Cleveland bootlegs have the best sound and are pretty complete, minus some fades between songs to eliminate crowd noise or wait between songs. Here's what I created:

Rush - Rush Tour - 71:08
(Live In Cleveland, OH on 12/16/74)
(Here Again At The Agora - FM Broadcast)

1. Finding My Way* - 5:14
2. Best I Can* - 3:10
3. Need Some Love* - 3:19
4. In The End* -  6:10
5. Fancy Dancer* - 3:58
6. In The Mood* - 3:21
7. What You're Doing - 5:25
8. Fly By Night - 3:13
9. Here Again - 9:06
10. Anthem - 4:35
11. Bad Boy - 7:17
12. Working Man - 10:38
13. Mr. Neil Peart On The Drums (Drum Solo '74) - 2:39
14. Garden Road* - 3:03

*(Live In Cleveland, OH on 8/26/74)
 (ABC 1974 - SBD/FM Broadcast)

I was able to use the entire first half of the ABC 1974 show and not repeat any songs from the second half of the December show, and by piecing both shows together, I compiled every (known) song they played on that tour onto one show. And because both shows were soundboards used for radio broadcasts, and from the same venue, the audio is fairly the same, and AMAZING. There's a crisp and clear, yet raw and bombastic feeling to these shows, and they are really rocking, pounding, and wailing away.

The first album cuts are all taken to the next level with Neil's frantic drumming, and Alex's solos go the extra step, especially in "Working Man", which features an embryonic "By-Tor & The Snow Dog" in the middle jam section. Of course, the most talked-about thing from the ABC 1974 show, of course, is the inclusion of a cover ("Bad Boy") and 2 Non-Album tracks, "Fancy Dancer" and "Garden Road". If you haven't heard them, you're missing out, especially if you enjoy the band's first two albums! They're pretty rocking, and in my opinion, at least one or both of them should have made the debut album (at least, instead of "Need Some Love" or "Take A Friend", which has never been played live, fortunately enough). However, the version of "Bad Boy" on the 2nd Cleveland show is longer as Alex takes an extended (near 3-minute) solo at the end of the song!

Also of interest is the inclusion of four songs that would make it on their second album, including an alternate version of "Fly By Night", which places the softer section BEFORE the guitar solo (which is a better arrangement, it BUILDS up to the solo rather than being a cool-down).

The two Cleveland shows are arguably the best from this tour, especially being pretty-near official sound quality, but there are a few more, particularly the show that first featured Neil on drums (although the sound quality is not as good). This first tour was certainly a "getting our feet wet" kind of experience for three young boys from the land up north, but their youthful energy is definitely felt through these recordings.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 09:17:26 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Unlegit

Re: Rush Live - The Rush Tour (And Introduction)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »
Great thread! I have both Cleveland shows as well, so I got the first tour covered.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
My cousin just got me the ABC show on CD.  I had it on cassette years ago!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:36:22 PM »
Great thread! I have both Cleveland shows as well, so I got the first tour covered.

As a Rush fan, I feel quite fortunate that things like this actually exist! For many other bands, these would be Holy Grails. I mean, how many first-tour bootlegs exist of THIS quality for bands like Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Kansas, Jethro Tull, etc. etc. I mean, there might be a few, but probably not as good or complete as these. I'm glad I finally compiled both shows into a single disc the way I did - it gives me the best of both shows and all the songs from the tour.

And in fact, I am listening to it right now! :metal

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »
Totally agree with what you have said, but to be fair, King Crimson's Epitaph tops this for me, even though it is an "official" release.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:48:01 PM »
Following.  Damn long OP.  Will read later.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:04:02 PM »
I have the Fifth Order of Angels and Finding Prime versions of those shows.  Both have amazing sound quality considering the times and this being so early in Rush's career.  The Finding Prime recording has a great raw sound that really goes along with the band's music at the time.  I especially like that version of "Bad Boy".  It was also recorded in stereo as you can hear Alex's guitar going back and forth between the channels.  It's also great that Neal's very first show was recorded, but alas, the sound quality of that one is quite poor indeed.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »
I have The Fifth Order of Angels, which I haven't listened to in a while. I'll have to give it another listen soon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:43 PM »
Interesting idea.  I do like the bootleg version of Garden Road quite a bit, and it still strikes me as strange that it was deemed not worthy of making the first album while clunkers like Take a Friend and Need Some Love were.  But whatever.

I still need to check out Bad Boy.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 06:22:19 AM »
I'm not much of a bootleg collector, and only have a few Rush boots, but mainly later 90s stuff - audio and video.  They've got so many live releases (again, audio and video) that I'm completely content.  And with them doing one every tour now, that'll be just fine for me.  I knew they were tight with Kiss, from the stuff in Beyond The Lighted stage, but it'll be interesting reading about their earlier tours, and hearing other perspectives/tidbits.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 07:25:21 AM »
Interesting idea.  I do like the bootleg version of Garden Road quite a bit, and it still strikes me as strange that it was deemed not worthy of making the first album while clunkers like Take a Friend and Need Some Love were.  But whatever.

I still need to check out Bad Boy.

Well they are obviously lyrically nothing great, they are fun songs and I enjoy them along with the rest of the first album.

Fifth Order is a great boot for sure.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »
Will be following!
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 09:03:53 AM »
Interesting idea.  I do like the bootleg version of Garden Road quite a bit, and it still strikes me as strange that it was deemed not worthy of making the first album while clunkers like Take a Friend and Need Some Love were.

I wonder if it just wasn't fully formed by the time they were recording?  Because it is interesting that they closed the show with it.  They obviously felt good about the song by then.

"Finding My Way" was a great opener for this show.

Is this Neal's shortest drum solo?
Winger would be better!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 10:05:39 AM »
Is this Neal's shortest drum solo?

From all of the 21 drum solos I have from my Live Series, at 2:39 long, it is his shortest, and this in contrast to his solo from the R30 tour, which was nearly 9 minutes long (and in fact, all of his solos since 2002 have been over 8 minutes, and over 7 since 1992).

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »
No, all of his solos on the current tour are super short.  Like 2-3 minutes each.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
Yeah, if you take them separately, but if you look at it from the angle of total amount of show spent drum soloing then his first shows are still shorter.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »
No, all of his solos on the current tour are super short.  Like 2-3 minutes each.

Well, true, but as Nick said, taken together, all 3 of his solos during the show would add up to about 5:40 or so. But still, it is shorter than any of his recent solos by any stretch. In fact, that total is his shortest soloing time since the Presto tour, which was about 5:10 long.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »
Okay, but why would you add the solos up together and call it one?  They are three separate solos! 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 01:18:28 PM »
Okay, but why would you add the solos up together and call it one?  They are three separate solos!

I meant just as a total time of soloing. Of course they're 3 separate solos, all using aspects of his previous recent solos, but this is also the first time he's ever done more than 1 full solo during a Rush show so it's a completely different circumstance and situation for this tour.

-Marc.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
didn't mean to lead this into a discussion of whether the current solos should be counted as one or not.  I'm just interested in seeing how his drum solo has evolved and built off itself over the tours.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
ok, a couple more questions you guys may have the answer for:

As far as stage production, I assume this tour had a simple light show, if that?  Was there a banner or anything like that behind the band?

And who is the guy that introduces the band in the August bootleg?
Winger would be better!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
Is there any way we could OK the sharing of these bootlegs so that people who weren't alive back then could still participate?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
Is there any way we could OK the sharing of these bootlegs so that people who weren't alive back then could still participate?

These bootlegs are usually easily available around the internet, and considering they aren't official releases (well the ABC 1974 show sort of is now), should be okay to search and download.

As far as stage production, I assume this tour had a simple light show, if that?  Was there a banner or anything like that behind the band?

I'm pretty sure it was just them and their instruments. If you search for images from their first tour, it was a real basic stage set-up. In their documentary, they joked how they had taken garden lights and put them on 2x4's and used them as their stage lights. I believe they had banners at some point, with just their band name, but stage production was minimal, if at all existent. They were travelling light and didn't have much to bring around with them, especially with a hectic touring schedule.

And who is the guy that introduces the band in the August bootleg?

I'm not entirely sure. Either a tour promoter or someone who worked at the venue. More knowledgeable fans might know the real answer to this question!

-Marc.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »
Sure, but if you're hacking together a "best of" mix of the tour like you seem to have done for this one, it'd be a hell of a lot easier if we could just host them here. That way everyone would have common ground. That, and searching is just slightly more work than I'm willing to do.  :P
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 04:16:53 PM »
Sure, but if you're hacking together a "best of" mix of the tour like you seem to have done for this one, it'd be a hell of a lot easier if we could just host them here. That way everyone would have common ground. That, and searching is just slightly more work than I'm willing to do.  :P

Hmm, well, if enough people convince me to, perhaps I'll upload my shows for sharing, except for the tours that have officially released tracks in them (2112, AFTK, PEW, MP, GUP, HYF, and TFE).

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »
I'll host one show per tour on my server, just PM me a full list of shows you'll want M.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 07:16:25 PM »
I'll host one show per tour on my server, just PM me a full list of shows you'll want M.

Very gracious of you! I, and I'm sure many other Rush fans on here, thank you! I'll send that list shortly!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »
What about the 12/6/74 show at Electric Lady Studios in New York City? Sounds like it would have been lucky to find a dozen people there. Although the performance might not be as great, it sounds pretty close to those Cleveland shows and features "quiet and nervous" Geddy in between songs.

Strangely, there are about 10 or so recordings from this tour, more than both the Fly By Night and Caress of Steel Tours combined. Neil's debut, although extremely historic, is clearly the worst of these.

Were you thinking about including video footage? If you are, those three Don Kirchner's performances in December 1974 would have to be included.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »
What about the 12/6/74 show at Electric Lady Studios in New York City? Sounds like it would have been lucky to find a dozen people there. Although the performance might not be as great, it sounds pretty close to those Cleveland shows and features "quiet and nervous" Geddy in between songs.

Strangely, there are about 10 or so recordings from this tour, more than both the Fly By Night and Caress of Steel Tours combined. Neil's debut, although extremely historic, is clearly the worst of these.

Were you thinking about including video footage? If you are, those three Don Kirchner's performances in December 1974 would have to be included.

Good idea! I had not thought about including any video footage, but anyone is more than welcome to "add to the pot" of this stew, so to speak. If anyone wants to post relevant videos/songs/performances in this, I highly encourage you to do so! It'll help generate and continue discussion, as well as enlighten many readers/posters here.

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 05:59:03 AM »
I love the Electric Lady Boot.  The version of Fly By Night will get people with the bridge and chorus flipped in the song.  I realy listen to it so it always catches me off gaurd.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 06:16:27 AM »
First show is up: www.nickeh.com/botm/rush1974-12-16.rar

Here Again at the Agora PE

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 06:50:31 AM »
YAY!  :D Will listen some time today.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 06:59:03 AM »
I will warn everyone in advance that some of these shows are in .shn format, so you might want to download codecs/a good media player accordingly if you plan to follow all of these.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »
Thanks again for the upload Nick! Can't wait for everyone to hear some of these versions of these songs, especially "Here Again", "Bad Boy" and "Working Man"!

I also picked this show because it does have some extended solos and better performances, but also because the other Agora show is widely available around the internet (as "Fifth Order Of Angels") and also has been released 'officially'. Heck, even I bought a cheap copy just to see what they put in to it. It's got some nice artwork, despite being from YEARS later, but that's about it. Nice to have another copy of it, though I'm pretty sure it's the same audio - I haven't a/b'd it yet to see if there were any mixing/mastering differences, but the original boot is so good, I don't think you could really do much to improve upon it!

-Marc.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
I will warn everyone in advance that some of these shows are in .shn format, so you might want to download codecs/a good media player accordingly if you plan to follow all of these.
I was just going to come in and complain about this. Fucking .shn's. They don't even have track titles.  :P

Thankfully, I was able to find a version of that show that my computer can actually play. I must say, the sound quality is astounding for being the band's first major tour. It's amazing how much energy Neil breathes into those songs.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:58:57 PM by Ultimetalhead »