Author Topic: Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?  (Read 17913 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2013, 06:46:40 AM »
Sorry for double posting, but this deserves a post of its own:
Another interesting connection between SDV and A Room With A View is that Kevin based most of the song around a chord progression that's actually from the background music in movie! It only appears a couple of times in very short sections, but it's definitely the same chord progression that Kevin used in SDV.
Yeah, I remember reading this - it's a really cool parallel. I might need to watch that someday :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Yoshi Yogurt

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2013, 08:09:32 PM »
Not even in my Top 50, bores me a little. Still good for a listen once in a while, but not in my usual rotation of DT songs.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2013, 04:13:50 AM »
Another interesting connection between SDV and A Room With A View is that Kevin based most of the song around a chord progression that's actually from the background music in movie! It only appears a couple of times in very short sections, but it's definitely the same chord progression that Kevin used in SDV.
Yeah, I remember reading this - it's a really cool parallel. I might need to watch that someday :lol
Me too. Judging by the sample it's probably a sad sad movie :D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2013, 04:30:31 AM »
Me too. Judging by the sample it's probably a sad sad movie :D
:badumtss:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2013, 12:40:27 AM »
This is a bit non-sequitor, but I've been wondering what the "v." in thread titles means... Could someone explain?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2013, 12:53:41 AM »
I always assumed version/volume.

At any rate, one of my favorite DT songs. I love it. First heard it on a really long car ride to college.  :smiley:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2013, 02:57:36 AM »
@Milena: :icy:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2013, 03:08:20 AM »
Thank you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2013, 05:00:18 AM »
I always assumed version/volume.
It's "version."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
Version? I don't see how that makes any sense in the way it's used in thread titles...

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »
I've always assumed it was version, but I was wondering how this trend got started on DTF. I've never seen it on other forums.

On topic: SDV isn't a favorite of mine, but it's cool.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »
I would imagine that it was used to give threads subtitles, in order to distinguish chat threads or the like, you know, those that exist in different incarnations.

And no, I have no idea if there was a previous thread, but I felt like giving it that name. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
I always thought it was versus, but then I seem to be contrarian in nature.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
I would like to thank this thread for reminding me how awesome Space Dye Vest is.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »
It's interesting to go back and re-read this entire thread now that "Space Dye Vest" has finally been played live by DT .... interesting to see the opinions about it and thoughts on where it would fit in the set list, etc.

I'm reading Rich Wilson's book right now, "Lifting Shadows," and just got to the section of the book on this song last night.  Reading this section knowing they played the song for the first time last week was interesting.  The book quotes MP as saying that if they had realized Kevin was about to leave the band they would not have put it on the album at all.  He then adds that they've never played the song live and have no intention to ever play it live.

Knowing that it's now been played live and that the quotes about leaving it off the album and never playing it live come from MP who is now also gone makes for some interesting perspective now.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2014, 05:46:39 PM »
I think this is a highlight in DT's career for many reasons. For once, I think it's something like they've never done before and very out of their comfort zone. Their songs fill very full because they have many tonal changes, arrangements, notes, etc. Space Dye Vest is everything a classic DT song is not, and that puts it on a category of its own. I know this is a Kevin Moore song considering he brought it to the band just like John Petrucci has brought several finished songs (Beneath the Surface, Wither, etc.), but at the end it's a Dream Theater song because he showed it to the other guys to have it make an appearance on the Awake album because he thought it was a good fit, and he was right.
The song is musically very simple, and the highlight lies in the eerie atmosphere, the sound effects, the dreamy voices, everything. I love Dream Theater, and I love Space-Dye Vest because it's everything Dream Theater is not.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Modah

• catterbrains
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
This song was really cool when I was 18 and the girl I was hitting on refused to go home with me because I had had a few dozen too many Natty Lights and proceeded to throw up all over her. *appreciates*

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »
Awake ends with that ending of Scarred, for me. DAT BEAUTIFUL ENDING! SDV is always a skip.
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »
Awake ends with that ending of Scarred, for me. DAT BEAUTIFUL ENDING! SDV is always a skip.

no...

No.

NO

NO

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »
This song is indeed one of DT's top 5 for me. Listening to the isolated guitar gives me chills. So much power yet so simple.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
My #2 DT song. It doesn't get much better than this.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2014, 09:16:40 PM »
My #2 DT song. It doesn't get much better than this.

Actually, doesn't it, because you just said "Space-Dye Vest" is your number TWO song by Dream Theater.

:neverusethis:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »
Doesn't get MUCH better. There is still some better to get.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2014, 09:25:36 PM »

Yeah yeah, I'm just teasing. But either way, not that it's a HORRIBLE song or anything, but I am surprised to see this song so high on many fans' lists. Is it a love for that era/album of DT, or is there just not a lot of things you all find enjoyable about the other 100+ songs by the band? I just typically don't see this song so high on many fans' lists - they're usually stuffed with the epics/longer tracks, the classics from IAW/Awake or SFAM, or the more accessible 'singles" by the band.

But at least the track is getting its love from fans here, so good for it and good for them!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2014, 09:28:57 PM »

Yeah yeah, I'm just teasing. But either way, not that it's a HORRIBLE song or anything, but I am surprised to see this song so high on many fans' lists. Is it a love for that era/album of DT, or is there just not a lot of things you all find enjoyable about the other 100+ songs by the band? I just typically don't see this song so high on many fans' lists - they're usually stuffed with the epics/longer tracks, the classics from IAW/Awake or SFAM, or the more accessible 'singles" by the band.

But at least the track is getting its love from fans here, so good for it and good for them!

-Marc.

It's neither of those things. I enjoy almost all of their songs. I have no particular love for that era, at least not just for the era it was in. You can check my Top 50, I had a number of songs from almost every DT album.

People enjoy it because it's a great song, and one that affects some of us very deeply. I'm not sure why you would ascribe some sort of ulterior motive to it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »

-Marc.

It's neither of those things. I enjoy almost all of their songs. I have no particular love for that era, at least not just for the era it was in. You can check my Top 50, I had a number of songs from almost every DT album.

People enjoy it because it's a great song, and one that affects some of us very deeply. I'm not sure why you would ascribe some sort of ulterior motive to it.

I didn't think I implied that some fans would have an ulterior motive. I guess I just don't love it as much as some do, so I don't see it topping my Top 10 any time soon, but I will say it is a very good song for many reasons, particularly for being able to emotionally move people.

I just more or less wanted to hear why some fans would put it so high in their lists when compared to many other fan-favorites. Then again, I don't really pay TOO much attention to people's rankings anyway.

-Marc.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2014, 10:04:11 PM »
My post came off as more accusatory than I meant it to, sorry about that. :lol

It just sounded like you were saying that in order for someone to place Space-Dye Vest so high, they had to just not enjoy most of DT's work, which is most certainly not the case.

I couldn't really say why I enjoy it so much, as I've never put too much thought into that kind of thing. I just like it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2014, 11:21:01 PM »
It's an excellent song!

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2014, 05:11:51 AM »
I like the way it reprises the melody from the Mirror.

If KM brought it in as a finished song then they must have liked the melody enough to use it in another song. Either that or much as SDV sticks out in the DT catalogue, KM must have lifted the melody from the mirror as he liked it which does give the song some sort of continuity and context within the album.

I don't think it's the million miles away from the DT sound that many people make it out to be. It's a sound I wish they would have explored a bit more for one or two songs. It's no more of the wall than Disappear.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2014, 10:18:23 AM »
It's amazing song.  I'll admit that I felt more attached to it when i was younger and broken hearts affected me more deeply.  Now that I'm older, the song does not have the same effect on me, but I still recognize it's haunting beauty. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2014, 03:22:12 PM »

If KM brought it in as a finished song then they must have liked the melody enough to use it in another song. Either that or much as SDV sticks out in the DT catalogue, KM must have lifted the melody from the mirror as he liked it which does give the song some sort of continuity and context within the album.

I don't think it's the million miles away from the DT sound that many people make it out to be. It's a sound I wish they would have explored a bit more for one or two songs. It's no more of the wall than Disappear.

Yeah that would be interesting to know; which came first, the Mirror or SDV? Like a DT chicken/egg situation.  I think its brilliant how the melodies are in both anyway. 

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2014, 03:27:03 PM »
It works so incredibly well as a closing track to Awake, and I can't think of another song from the album that would have been better for the job. Someone brought up earlier that Scarred would have been better to do that. Well, it's a definite second, but SDV is kind of like a pleasant surprise after going from an epic track to this moody piece.

I can't wait till I'm in my 30's and reminisce over my teen years listening to this. :lol

It's an amazing song. I see tons of people around here are putting this song right up there in the top 10. I don't think it would be quite that high for me, but still great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »

I always think of the bit in The Mirror as being a tease, as opposed to Space Dye Vest reprising the melody, especially since it is not a major part of The Mirror at all.  That kind of continuity, like the end of Lie reusing that little keyboard ditty from The Mirror underneath the guitar solo, just adds to the awesomeness of the second half of Awake.  :metal :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »
I think one of the reasons why SDV is so great is because DT quite adept at covering songs. And frankly, SDV is a cover of a a Kevin Moore song.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."