Author Topic: Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?  (Read 17912 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 05:19:20 AM »
My #5 DT song.

When Awake came out, it was basically a three song album for me as my ride to work each day consisted of Voices, Scarred, and SDV.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 05:35:51 AM »
My #5 DT song.

When Awake came out, it was basically a three song album for me as my ride to work each day consisted of Voices, Scarred, and SDV.

The three best ones in scambled order, for me  :laugh:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »
It caps Awake perfectly and I'm so glad it got the DT treatment. I quite like Kevin Moore's solo work, but I think the delivery and arrangement from the full band works to the song's advantage.

Probably not a top-10 DT song for me but not far off.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 08:16:51 AM »
It caps Awake perfectly and I'm so glad it got the DT treatment. I quite like Kevin Moore's solo work, but I think the delivery and arrangement from the full band works to the song's advantage.

This, exactly!

But yeah, an incredible song in every way possible - lyrically, musically, atmospherically, etc. - and one I would still call one of the best the band has ever done. :tup :tup

Offline Glass Moonlight

• You can ride the red until everybody smiles
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 08:22:59 AM »
My #5 DT song.

You had a CD player in your car in the mid-90s? How? The cassette doesn't have scarred so no way :P
When someone says my heart needs lifting
Don't ask how come, ask how high!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »
???  A lot of people had CD players in their cars in the mid '90s.  But even if he didn't (and he didn't say his ride to work was in a car), he could have owned the CD and copied it to cassette.  That's what I did with a lot of my CD's during that time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 09:18:21 AM »
The car I bought in '95 had a CD player, so I don't get that comment either.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »
It's a fantastic song.

Offline Glass Moonlight

• You can ride the red until everybody smiles
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
I really didn't do my research I guess :P just assumed since CD players were just becoming common in PCs meant that car CD players wouldn't be viable at the time.
When someone says my heart needs lifting
Don't ask how come, ask how high!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
Yeah, 180 degrees but it's a dry heat.  Cool song but anti-climactic.  Doesn't belong as a closer.  It would've followed LSOAD much better if it was switched with Scarred which has a much better outro as a closer.  Just sayin' that's the way I would've done it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline 425

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 03:03:20 PM »
This was the first song to really catch me when I first listened to Awake. I mean, I really liked A Mind Beside Itself and The Mirror, but when the first notes of Space-Dye Vest came on, I just stopped everything and focused on this song. I still do usually stop what I'm doing when I reach this song. It is just so perfectly emotional; and, in addition to Kevin Moore's obviously fantastic playing, I love James' singing. Just a perfect song, and (I think) a great closer to the album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 12:22:27 AM »
Did you know that Kevin came out and sang underneath James on the album? Basic Dream Theater trivia!  :laugh:
- Marco

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 12:45:54 AM »
Yeah, he's actually panned very slightly to the right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 12:59:34 AM »
Yeah, he's actually panned very slightly to the right.

That part I didn't know
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ruba

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 03:01:41 AM »
A top 25 DT song for me. I love the piano, samples, vocals (James's low register  :heart), lyrics, pretty much everything in it. I love good melodies.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:22 AM »
Did you know that Kevin came out and sang underneath James on the album? Basic Dream Theater trivia!  :laugh:
James always has the best information :laugh:
(for those who don't know what on earth we're talking about, find Space-Dye Vest in Tarrytown - the closer and shorter video has better speech audio - and listen to the beginning)

The way he says basic Dream Theater trivia... He knows we're freaks and then teases us for it :lol
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:09:27 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 06:02:02 AM »
James always has the best information :laugh:
(for those who don't know what on earth we're talking about, find Space-Dye Vest in Tarrytown - the closer and shorter video has better speech audio - and listen to the beginning)

The way he says basic Dream Theater trivia... He knows we're freaks and then teases us for it :lol
Isn't there also a Kevin only version on you tube? Oh and check out Kevin's album called Music Meant To Be Heard. It's sweet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 06:19:17 AM »
My #5 DT song.

You had a CD player in your car in the mid-90s? How? The cassette doesn't have scarred so no way :P

I used my Sony Discman with a cassette adapter.

The other thing about SDV is that the first time I listened to Awake, I honestly felt that it was the first song on the album that actually felt unique, where each track on I&W had its own uniqueness.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
I had a thought yesterday that I figured I'd share with you guys. I figured that, by playing it in Tarrytown, Jordan and James have perfectly absolved DT of putting SDV into live rotation if they don't want to play it.

Well, not that they need an excuse if they don't want to play it, but it's just a perfect situation. Now the song has been performed live by members of Dream Theater, but not on a Dream Theater concert, which is perfect for the crowd who doesn't like the song, or for the crowd who thinks it's sacrilege to perform it without Kevin. On the other hand, the song is not "untouchable" anymore, and James' speech before the song confirmed that MP's opinion that KM and the song are totally overrated is not shared by all members of the band. So it's just a perfect situation for a song like that.

I think the reason why they still avoided it in the previous tour is that it would prove a bit of a problem to them to find a place for it in the set, because, let's face it, even us who adore the song think it has a big downer vibe. And the song kind of stands for itself - even though, by mood, it totally fits Awake, even placed in the end it sounds like an afterthought and not like a part of the flow. So. while a suitable place for it would definitely be in the end of a set, I don't know if DT would like to end a show on such a huge downer.

But I also have the perfect solution for that. If, by any chance, they would have this slower part of the set like the acoustic part in the Dramatic Tour, a part of it, or perhaps the whole two-song or three-song or however long the set could be dedicated to James and Jordan. Just the two of them on stage, like James and John last year. And then SDV could come in the end of that piano/vocal spotlight. Emotional and simple, a nice breather. And then a huge angry metal song could come afterwards, for venting and kicking our nerves into overdrive.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »
I wouldn't mind it as the set closer then they play whatever for the Encore.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
I agree on all the points that you make, but I think SDV would work great as first song of the encore. Kind of what happened in 2002 or 2006 when the band performed two (or occasionally three) songs after the second set: in those case the first was always a mood song like Hollow Years or The Spirit Carries On.

I personally think an encore made of Space Dye Vest and Learning To Live right after would not present downsides. And would allow a full band performance of the song.  :tup
- Marco

Offline Ħ

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
I used to LOVE this song. And now I think it's corny and lame.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »
Well, not that they need an excuse if they don't want to play it, but it's just a perfect situation. Now the song has been performed live by members of Dream Theater, but not on a Dream Theater concert, which is perfect for the crowd who doesn't like the song, or for the crowd who thinks it's sacrilege to perform it without Kevin. On the other hand, the song is not "untouchable" anymore, and James' speech before the song confirmed that MP's opinion that KM and the song are totally overrated is not shared by all members of the band. So it's just a perfect situation for a song like that.
I don't think they even considered playing it on the ADTOE tour. To quote this intie with James:
The setlist is pretty varied, but kinda safe – it’s all album tracks. Are you going to add some B-sides or really rare stuff like Speak To Me, Eve or Space-Dye Vest, which hasn’t been performed by the full band yet?

At this point there’s no talk about that. The fact is that this is a whole new chapter for us, obviously. We have a new album coming out September 13, so the focus is really on making sure that that is set up properly, that that is going to get the attention it deserves because we’re extremely proud of it. At this point anything like that, any of the b-tracks or whatever you want to refer to – any extraneous parts to Dream Theater are still going to remain in the background – right now! I’m not saying it’ll never happen – right now!
But now that MM has been introduced to the fans and they've played the most essential fan favorites with him live already, I think they could pull out SDV, and maybe some other songs that haven't been played in ages, if ever. The way MP put setlists together was cool, but he also had some weak reasons for not playing some songs (Disappear, Anna Lee) - now that he's gone, the rest of the band could bring those songs back if they really like them.

I agree with Marco that SDV could work well as the first song of an encore. Jordan and James could perform it as a duo, and the rest of the band would return for the final song. I know I've said this before, but if they do plan on playing it, I hope it won't be in the setlist for the first European leg, as I would miss it then. Just imagine if they premiered it in Helsinki... :caffeine:
I used to LOVE this song. And now I think it's corny and lame.
See thread title:
Space-Dye Vest Appreciation

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
I love Space Dye Vest, and while I think it is the perfect closer for Awake, I don't think it would be a good set closer or encore song in concert.  It would work well as a middle of the set tune, during one of those 2-3 mellow set breakdowns. 

To make a comparison, as much as I love Queensryche's Someone Else?, and I too feel that was the perfect closer for Promised Land, it was kind of strange having it as the last song of the concert on the Promised Land tour (the show overall was still awesome, regardless).

I just think set closers and encores should usually be something rocking that slays the audience.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »
I appreciate how dynamic it is. I used to love it, and now I hate it. What a drastic change!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2013, 02:20:36 PM »
I agree on all the points that you make, but I think SDV would work great as first song of the encore. Kind of what happened in 2002 or 2006 when the band performed two (or occasionally three) songs after the second set: in those case the first was always a mood song like Hollow Years or The Spirit Carries On.

I personally think an encore made of Space Dye Vest and Learning To Live right after would not present downsides. And would allow a full band performance of the song.  :tup

First song of the encore would be the perfect spot for it. Kind of like where Iron Maiden placed Journeyman.

And then to follow it up with LTL? Yes!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2013, 02:22:48 PM »
This, please!  :metal

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »
Top 20 song for them.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »
Top 20 song for them.

Okay, but what about you? :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2013, 05:41:08 PM »
I took a couple of minutes earlier this evening to come up with a possible setlist for a non existent DT show in promotion of the Awake album, where Kevin Moore still is in the band and the band adopts a 2,5h Evening With format:

01. Metropolis Pt.1
02. 6:00
03. Afterlife
04. The Mirror
05. Lie
06. Under A Glass Moon
07. Bass/Guitar Jam
08. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
09. Scarred
---
10. Pull Me Under
11. Another Day
12. Another Hand / The Killing Hand
13. Eve
14. Surrounded
15. A Fortune In Lies
16. AMBI: Erotomania
17. AMBI: Voices
18. AMBI: The Silent Man
19. Puppies On Acid / Take The Time (extended outro solo)
---
20. Wait For Sleep (sans last chord)
21. Space Dye Vest
22. Learning To Live
- Marco

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »
Why would they play Puppies on Acid twice.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2013, 01:55:57 AM »
Why would they play Puppies on Acid twice.

Surprise effect.
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2013, 02:16:55 AM »
That's a really good set, but I would throw in Innocence Faded (otherwise they would play I&W in full, but not Awake in full) and The Ones Who Help... (because it was played on the Awake tour and would make the setlist a little different from the I&W tour).

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2013, 04:03:38 AM »
Sorry for double posting, but this deserves a post of its own:
Another interesting connection between SDV and A Room With A View is that Kevin based most of the song around a chord progression that's actually from the background music in movie! It only appears a couple of times in very short sections, but it's definitely the same chord progression that Kevin used in SDV.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2013, 05:09:59 AM »
Definitely a grower.  For the longest time, I couldn't stand it.  Then, I could stand it, but that's about it.  Now I can appreciate it, and like it somewhat.

Maybe someday I will love it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.