Author Topic: Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?  (Read 17894 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2014, 10:47:51 PM »
Or just stay off DTF if being surprised is that important to you.  Not that it matters anyway -- having just come back from the Chicago show, I can confirm this tour is amazing even if you memorized the setlist in advance.

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »
I've seen the setlist and know what they're playing but find it kind of hypocritical seeing people tell others to stay off a sub-forum to not see a setlist while talking about the setlist in the main forum.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2014, 11:02:05 PM »
I would agree with you if I spoiled the setlist in the main forum.  I have not done that.  I have actually gone out of my way NOT to do that.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »
The live performances of it (especially the one at Manchester, glad that someone posted the download link to it at it's thread) are BEAUTIFUL. Brings the tears to my eyes even if it can't make me cry. The octave change and JP's solo have been perfectly fit into an already very touchy and brilliant song. I just can't think of what else could be done to make it better of a song.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2014, 08:16:51 PM »
Gotta say, the performance of this at last night's Kansas City show was one of the highlights for me.  There was an electricity that ran through the crowd when Jordan played those opening notes.  Just fantastic!!!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2014, 11:39:56 PM »
I already thought it was a perfect song so I'm not a huge fan of the changes they made to it, but hearing it tonight was still amazing  :heart
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2014, 12:20:33 AM »
SDV live was one of the highlights of the show for me.

JR did a really good job making the keyboard sounds fit into a concert hall environment while maintaining the melancholy.  Great use of dynamics in performance.  He played the piano like a tortured artist perfectly.

And JLB was tremendous.  When he started singing "THERE'S NO ONE TO TAAAAKE MY BLAAAAAME!  IF THEY WANTED TOOOOOO!" at full tilt, it was one of those magical moments that makes me love music.  So emotionally wrenching.

Great song.  Great live performances.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2014, 07:49:17 AM »
Gotta say, the performance of this at last night's Kansas City show was one of the highlights for me.  There was an electricity that ran through the crowd when Jordan played those opening notes.  Just fantastic!!!

Absolutely!!

I already thought it was a perfect song so I'm not a huge fan of the changes they made to it, but hearing it tonight was still amazing  :heart

I wouldn't want those changes to have been like that in the original song, but they really did work live, for the most part.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2014, 05:15:52 PM »
I was at the show last night too. It was the best moment in the show for me, deeply moving.  :hefdaddy I loved the new arrangement, I think it made a lot more sense in the context of the show than the sparse original would have(though I'm absolutely in love with the original). Didn't hear the booing, but anyone doing that is an idiot.
Indeed, those are pure idiots. They have nothing to do with DT.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2014, 05:20:27 PM »
Perfect song, and perfect ending for the ultimate Dream Theater album.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2014, 05:26:55 PM »
SDV live was one of the highlights of the show for me.

JR did a really good job making the keyboard sounds fit into a concert hall environment while maintaining the melancholy.  Great use of dynamics in performance.  He played the piano like a tortured artist perfectly.

And JLB was tremendous.  When he started singing "THERE'S NO ONE TO TAAAAKE MY BLAAAAAME!  IF THEY WANTED TOOOOOO!" at full tilt, it was one of those magical moments that makes me love music.  So emotionally wrenching.

Great song.  Great live performances.

THIS.

I went crazy for this arrangement. Not to mention it was the finale of them playing the entire freaking epic half of my favorite album.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »
Saw it live last night for the first time.  It was always just ok to me.  I didn't like it much as an album closer.  But, after last night, I've gained a new appreciation for it.  You know how most live songs are, they usually add a little extra to it.  Pretty cool actually.  JR did a great job too.  Loved it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White