Author Topic: Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?  (Read 17810 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2014, 11:09:44 PM »
I like the way it reprises the melody from the Mirror.

If KM brought it in as a finished song then they must have liked the melody enough to use it in another song. Either that or much as SDV sticks out in the DT catalogue, KM must have lifted the melody from the mirror as he liked it which does give the song some sort of continuity and context within the album.

I don't think it's the million miles away from the DT sound that many people make it out to be. It's a sound I wish they would have explored a bit more for one or two songs. It's no more of the wall than Disappear.
Yeah that would be interesting to know; which came first, the Mirror or SDV? Like a DT chicken/egg situation.  I think its brilliant how the melodies are in both anyway.
I remember reading Kevin wrote a bunch of songs on his own at the end of 1993 and one of them was SDV. Since they didn't start working on Awake until a couple of months later, SDV came first.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2014, 02:00:05 AM »
I discovered DT many years ago just 'cause of this song. This song is masterpiece. It's like a work of Van Gogh, Vivaldi, Wilde & Tarkovsky. I'm already mad but this track makes me insane.  :tup

Offline champbassist

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »
because it prompted me to finally check out KM's solo works, which unloaded a huge, uhm, load of beauty on me.

Exactly.

Offline Xersiz

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »
Seriously, how good is the jp solo in the live version...just lovin it  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »
It's still surreal to hear people mentioning the live version. :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
Seriously, how good is the jp solo in the live version...just lovin it  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

It starts off great when he's playing the melody... then... not so great.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2014, 09:15:57 AM »
Just watched it. That was great! Never thought they'd play it one day. I might just go to the next concert even though I thought Luna Park was a bit of a letdown. I'd definitely enjoy it if they'd alter songs, unexpected song choices etc... That's what I've been missing most from DT.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2014, 12:12:21 PM »
It's still surreal to hear people mentioning the live version. :lol
Tell me about it :lol

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
Just watched it. That was great! Never thought they'd play it one day. I might just go to the next concert even though I thought Luna Park was a bit of a letdown. I'd definitely enjoy it if they'd alter songs, unexpected song choices etc... That's what I've been missing most from DT.

Have you seen the setlist?  The consensus is that most of the song choices were entirely unexpected.

I don't know why people complain about the lack of a rotating setlist anyway.  It seems like an overwhelming minority of people actually go to more than one show on any given leg, so who cares if they're not changing the setlist every night?

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
I don't know why people complain about the lack of a rotating setlist anyway.  It seems like an overwhelming minority of people actually go to more than one show on any given leg, so who cares if they're not changing the setlist every night?
I know why they do. IMO, something along the lines of the ADTOE tour should've been great for this one too. Now, while I've only looked at the setlist once (I couldn't resist the temptation), I know exactly which songs they'll be playing at the show I'm going too and in what order they'll be played. If there was some kind of rotation like the ADTOE tour then I would've seen the first setlist, would've thought that it was very cool and I would've not looked at any other setlists to keep the element of surprise in it for me. I know I could've just not looked up the setlist but since I visit these forums very often I would've seen something anyway. I'd rather know most of the setlist in advance than all of it.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
I could understand complaints about the lack of rotation if DT were playing normal shows on this tour. But c'mon - it's an evening with DT and they had to rehearse 2.5 hours of material! The surprise factor may be gone, but the performances will get tighter and tighter as the tour goes on. Besides, if there was rotation, there would be "why didn't they play this song at the show I went to?" comments, so you can never please everybody.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
True that, but surely it isn't hard to rotate 2-4 songs like on the ADTOE tour. And the "why didn't they play this song at the show I went to?" is always gonna be there, even when the setlist doesn't change.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »
I know why they do. IMO, something along the lines of the ADTOE tour should've been great for this one too. Now, while I've only looked at the setlist once (I couldn't resist the temptation), I know exactly which songs they'll be playing at the show I'm going too and in what order they'll be played. If there was some kind of rotation like the ADTOE tour then I would've seen the first setlist, would've thought that it was very cool and I would've not looked at any other setlists to keep the element of surprise in it for me. I know I could've just not looked up the setlist but since I visit these forums very often I would've seen something anyway. I'd rather know most of the setlist in advance than all of it.

So DT should rotate songs because you don't have the self-control to stay out of the tour subforum?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2014, 04:33:52 PM »
I must say the song is much better the way they played it live. Petrucci's guitar solo at the end was godly.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2014, 04:55:21 AM »
I love how many different emotions are expressed in it... anger, desolation, rejection, bitterness, sadness, wonder, despair, desperation. A DT top 10 piece.

+ 10000!!! :hefdaddy

Just an awesome piece of art. :metal

I almost cried when they have performed the song live in Paris a few days ago. :blush
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2014, 11:24:23 PM »
I love how many different emotions are expressed in it... anger, desolation, rejection, bitterness, sadness, wonder, despair, desperation. A DT top 10 piece.

I almost cried when they have performed the song live in Paris a few days ago. :blush
:tup

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2014, 05:01:59 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised that this song actually works incredibly well live!  :biggrin:

Still, it's nowhere near a top 5 or even a top 10 song for me. It may not even make my top 50, whenever that happens.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2014, 09:34:50 PM »

Do you know how I know you are gay, you cried during the playing of that Kevin Moore song.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2014, 01:04:57 AM »
Do you know how I know you are gay

:lol

Btw, I wonder how Kev feels about his song feels about his song suddenly being played live for the first time, 20 odd years after it was recorded, and how all the fans are going crazy for it...

Offline Invisible

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2014, 02:46:48 AM »
This song is so powerful I almost never listen because it makes me want to kill myself, it should have a label on the side "THOSE WHO SUFFER FROM DEPRESSION SHOULD CHECK WITH YOUR CURRENT PSYCHIATRIST BEFORE LISTENING". Anyway, it's excellent, but not for all ocassions.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2014, 05:04:45 AM »
Btw, I wonder how Kev feels about his song feels about his song suddenly being played live for the first time, 20 odd years after it was recorded, and how all the fans are going crazy for it...
I doubt he cares or even knows they're playing it :P

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2014, 05:11:10 AM »
I suspect he probably does, as he's fairly active on FB and Twitter these days.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »
I will admit that SDV isn't my favourite DT song.

... But that's because they went and wrote Trial Of Tears, which I absolutely adore.

Space-Dye Vest is beautiful as hell, and I love it, and I loved seeing it live. It was heaven.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline haceeb

• I am bent, not broken
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
I suspect he probably does, as he's fairly active on FB and Twitter these days.
Yup, i also tweeted him about this news at that time. He's more active on tumblr. :biggrin:

Offline Enalya

« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2014, 08:26:38 AM »
I had the exact same thing, it suddenly hit me. So I decided to sing it. It's not the best one to cover (for there are not much vocal parts) and I get nowhere near to James, but I wanted to sing it badly :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpPxIaMWvxk

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
Still, it's nowhere near a top 5 or even a top 10 song for me. It may not even make my top 50.
This.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
This is easily my favorite DT song. It's just so different from what they usually do and it works so brilliantly. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2014, 02:26:40 AM »
I love this song, lots of light and shade on offer here - great piano (obviously), I think its one of DT's most unique tracks.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2014, 10:55:56 AM »
I had the exact same thing, it suddenly hit me. So I decided to sing it. It's not the best one to cover (for there are not much vocal parts) and I get nowhere near to James, but I wanted to sing it badly :)

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing.  Would love to hear more DT covers. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2014, 04:16:36 PM »
I just saw this live for the first time in my life last night and it was everything I was expecting it to be. ALMOST cried, but held it together.

I thought the new arrangement was pretty cool, but I thought the original would have been just as cool.

If that's what it took them to finally play the damn thing then I'm all for it.

Some people obviously weren't happy though. They booed.  I don't think I've ever been at a show where people booed the headliner.   

Pretty amusing actually.

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »
I was at the show last night too. It was the best moment in the show for me, deeply moving.  :hefdaddy I loved the new arrangement, I think it made a lot more sense in the context of the show than the sparse original would have(though I'm absolutely in love with the original). Didn't hear the booing, but anyone doing that is an idiot. 
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Enalya

« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing.  Would love to hear more DT covers.

Thank you! I'm thinking about Beneath The Surface. Need some help on which songs to cover, so if you've got an idea, please share it.
Keep in mind that most of his vocal melodies are a bit too low for my voice (since he is male) and then it'd be way too high for me to sing an octave higher :biggrin:

Offline Cable

« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2014, 11:14:38 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised that this song actually works incredibly well live!  :biggrin:

100% agreed. I didn't think it would work, but everyone was minimal mostly with playing as the song calls for. MM fit perfectly in. JP taking the outro key theme was cool (a little shred, but passable).
---

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »

So DT should rotate songs because you don't have the self-control to stay out of the tour subforum?
You mention staying out of a subforum to avoid seeing a set-list yet you discuss certain songs being played on this tour in the main forum?  How am I supposed to avoid spoilers when they are posted everywhere?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »
Stay off the internet.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"