Author Topic: Emerson Lake & Palmer Discography  (Read 47148 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Emerson Lake & Palmer Discography
« Reply #245 on: January 18, 2018, 02:46:55 PM »
Has anyone ever worried why the albums up to (and including) Trilogy had a way better drum sound (and I think also a better production in general) than the albums that came after that (starting with BSS)?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #246 on: January 18, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »
Has anyone ever worried why the albums up to (and including) Trilogy had a way better drum sound (and I think also a better production in general) than the albums that came after that (starting with BSS)?

A quick at wikipedia shows that the first three albums (ELP, Tarkus, and Trilogy) were engineered by Eddy Offord, and that with BSS and later, he was not present in the production of their albums, so I'd say that answers your question.

Eddy also worked a lot with Yes, having worked on seven of their first ten albums - the three he didn't work on were the debut, Going For The One, and Tormato.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #247 on: January 19, 2018, 07:09:59 PM »
ELP is one of those bands that I won't listen to in a while, then I'll hear something and go "Holy shit I forgot how much I love this!".   For a band that was as kitchy and cheesy at times (they are the quintessential 70's dinosaur rock band in many ways) they really have stood the test of time for the most part.

I think the music has, but the sound of it is of a time and a place. 

Emerson Lake And Palmer/Powell ( The Nice and 3) is essential binge material for me. At least once a year I find myself going on a bender for a weekend marathon. I'm probably due for another one when the Emerson Tribute concert DVD comes out.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2018, 07:50:44 AM »
ELP is one of those bands that I won't listen to in a while, then I'll hear something and go "Holy shit I forgot how much I love this!".   For a band that was as kitchy and cheesy at times (they are the quintessential 70's dinosaur rock band in many ways) they really have stood the test of time for the most part.

Emerson Lake And Palmer/Powell ( The Nice and 3) is essential binge material for me. At least once a year I find myself going on a bender for a weekend marathon. I'm probably due for another one when the Emerson Tribute concert DVD comes out.

What's The Nice like?   Worth getting into?   What about the material with Cozy that didn't make it onto the main album (I think there are demos and whatnot out there)?   I like the ELPowell record a lot (I actually prefer that version of "Touch and Go" to any of the re-recordings or live versions done with Palmer).

Offline romdrums

« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2018, 08:20:08 AM »

I think the music has, but the sound of it is of a time and a place

i see what you did there. ;)

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2018, 09:27:32 AM »

What's The Nice like?   Worth getting into?   What about the material with Cozy that didn't make it onto the main album (I think there are demos and whatnot out there)?   I like the ELPowell record a lot (I actually prefer that version of "Touch and Go" to any of the re-recordings or live versions done with Palmer).

I've been curious about The Nice, as well. If anyone here has any suggestions on where to start with them, please let us know!

Also, this thread has reinvigorated my interest in ELP, so much so that I delete a bunch of stuff on my iPod to make room for ELP (again, as I took them off years ago after not having listened to them in awhile). I had almost forgotten how zany and fun their music was, and how impressive their chops were, especially Palmer on drums! What a beast!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #251 on: January 22, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »
Regarding The Nice, I would start with the debut album, The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack.  The title of course comes from mashing up the names of the four band members, Keith Emerson, David O'List, Brian Davison, and Lee Jackson.  Then just go through them chronologically.  But then, that's my default recommendation for checking out any band.  Just go through the catalog.  It's the only way to get a proper grasp of what they did and how things evolved.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #252 on: January 22, 2018, 09:51:54 AM »
Double post because this is a completely different subject.

I found a "rare" track by 3 (Emerson, Berry, and Palmer) which was apparently recorded for what was to be the second album by 3, which never happened.  It showed up on a Berry solo album, Pilgrimage to a Point.

It's a 10 1/2 minute tune, and far proggier than anything from 3 to the Power of 3.  Okay, that's not saying much because the first album wasn't very proggy anyway, but here we get a pretty crazy extended break with Emerson going a bit nuts on the Hammond, Palmer right there with him, and Berry holding is own.  Some nice synth work as well, and overall not a bad song.  I added it to the 3 album on my iPod.

Last Ride Into the Sun

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #253 on: January 22, 2018, 12:45:37 PM »
Regarding The Nice, I would start with the debut album, The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack.  The title of course comes from mashing up the names of the four band members, Keith Emerson, David O'List, Brian Davison, and Lee Jackson.  Then just go through them chronologically.  But then, that's my default recommendation for checking out any band.  Just go through the catalog.  It's the only way to get a proper grasp of what they did and how things evolved.

I figured that would be the best way to go about it. I just haven't had a chance to listen to them yet as I've been going through the ELP catalog, but I may break from that a bit to hear how The Nice sounds.

I found a "rare" track by 3 (Emerson, Berry, and Palmer) which was apparently recorded for what was to be the second album by 3, which never happened.  It showed up on a Berry solo album, Pilgrimage to a Point.

It's a 10 1/2 minute tune, and far proggier than anything from 3 to the Power of 3.  Okay, that's not saying much because the first album wasn't very proggy anyway, but here we get a pretty crazy extended break with Emerson going a bit nuts on the Hammond, Palmer right there with him, and Berry holding is own.  Some nice synth work as well, and overall not a bad song.  I added it to the 3 album on my iPod.

Last Ride Into the Sun

Interesting find! I will definitely have to listen to that later when I get around to spinning To The Power Of Three on my ELP Journey this week!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »

I'd say that a good a place to start as any.  Don't expect to hear much in the Emerson Lake and Palmer vein though. It's a different dynamic really.  The music is kind of a psychedelic/jazz hybrid. Very unique. Musicianship is still good but it goes in a different improvisation direction, especially live. If you dig early Floyd and pre-Steve Howe Yes, you might really like this band.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »

Last Ride Into the Sun

I keep hoping that "second" album would be released in some form. I like 3 well enough and played the crap out if when it first came out, but I don't reach for it as much as I used to do in the 10 or so years after it came out.

I guess you'd put in in the same box as GTR although I think GTR is more interesting.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2018, 02:21:30 PM »
I'm very late to this thread. I just discovered ELP last year through JR's cover of "Tarkus", which I immediately loved. At first I just liked a bunch of songs (Karn Evil 9 1st Impression, Abbadon's Bolero & Tarkus) but since a few months ago their music clicked with me. I started to read this thread and follow it while listening to the album. It's been great, I've absolutely loved everything from the debut until BSS. I know a few songs from there on (Half of Works 1 and about half of Black Moon, I also liked that).

So I'm ready to move to the next album (Works 1), it's been a great reading, thanks for the Summaries Orbert! It's a nice guided journey through their discography.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2018, 02:37:26 PM »
You're welcome!  I'm glad you're enjoying the writeups, and glad you're digging Emerson Lake & Palmer!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2018, 12:25:03 AM »
Tarkus is one of the songs I wished DT would have covered years ago. I can imagine it would have been a much heavier version of the original in a way both ELP and DT fans would enjoy.  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #259 on: January 29, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »
Tarkus is one of the songs I wished DT would have covered years ago. I can imagine it would have been a much heavier version of the original in a way both ELP and DT fans would enjoy.  :tup

Carl Palmer's band does an amazing version of this too. No keyboards of course, but I think the arrangement sounds great.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
This is near the bottom of my list of favorite Emerson Lake and Palmer songs, but I'm tearing up right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-u29q2c-pM

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »
Amazing.

I followed that here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yfkLa8Mx_s

I swear I thought that was the ghost of Chris Squire!!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »
Amazing.

I followed that here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yfkLa8Mx_s

I swear I thought that was the ghost of Chris Squire!!!!

Watched that too. I'm really happy for Tony Kaye, but I can't even watch Yes from the last 10 years on You Tube anymore.

Have to say the Steve Howe seems like he's the happiest he's ever been in Yes in years (likely because Anderson is no longer there.) At least he's still bringing it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #263 on: May 23, 2018, 08:59:25 PM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/keith-emerson-contributions-to-appear-on-new-robert-berry-album

Keith Emerson Contributions To Appear On New Robert Berry Album

One By One
Powerful Man
The Rules Have Changed
Our Bond
What You're Dreaming Now
Somebody's Watching
This Letter
Your Mark On The World

The last musical project that Keith Emerson was involved with prior to his death in 2016 is to see the light of day.

Robert Berry, the US singer/multi-instrumentalist will release a new album, The Rules Have Changed, under the band name 3.2. This is a direct reference to the band 3 that he was in alongside Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer in 1988. Like Emerson, Lake & Powell, 3 was supposed to carry on in the general style of ELP in the absence of one of the original members. The resultant album, 1988's To The Power Of Three, and after some live dates in America, the group disbanded a year later.

It now transpires that Berry and Emerson had been in conversation about working on a new 3 project following interest from Italian label Frontiers.

“Keith and I developed together a vision of what the new album would be like, explains Berry. “There were many times over the past 30 years since 3 had come out that Keith either played on a session for me or we just talked on the phone. The new album consists of some past 3 writing from 1988, some newly written last efforts from Keith, and some songs written exclusively by me after Keith’s death."

3.2's The Rules Have Changed is being touted as a reboot of the original 3 project. You can hear a preview of the album in the track Somebody's Watching below. The album will be released on August 10 on Frontiers.

“Every second I worked on writing, recording, and performing those songs I had one thing on my mind,” says Berry. “The phrase... ‘What would Keith do’... drove me, it guided me, it consumed my creativity. It was so important to me to fulfill our vision for this album. I believe Keith worked through me. I especially felt him with me when I did the solos. The songs we had worked on together but the solos were to be improvised while recording. You will hear his flare coming through on the solos. The solos are played by me, but, at the same time, also by him. I would never say I was even close to being the player Keith was. But I believe you can hear his spirit in the sound and in my playing. I am so proud of this album. I can’t help but think somehow he is proud of the results too.”

https://youtu.be/ESyXLOtWV90

You can preorder it on Amazon - https://youtu.be/ESyXLOtWV90

-Marc.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #264 on: May 23, 2018, 09:04:02 PM »
Cool... believe it or not, I was just listening to 3 the other day... I have that cd for the longest time, and have always thought some songs have potential, yet they were just so under-developed.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #265 on: May 23, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
I saw that earlier today, and listened to the track.  It's pretty good.  Just as described, keyboards by Berry but definitely evoke Emerson.  Same sounds, same style.  If someone had told me that it was another lost 3 track, I would've believed it.  And I thought of coming here to post about it, but decided against it.  I mean, 3 is like first derivative ELP, so something that's not even 3, but meant to evoke it, is like second derivative or something.  Good song, though.

This one's better.  Emerson, Berry, and Palmer (3) track intended for the second 3 album which never happened.  Berry ended up releasing it on his solo album Pilgrimage to a Point but I added it to 3 on my iPod.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #266 on: May 26, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/keith-emerson-contributions-to-appear-on-new-robert-berry-album

Keith Emerson Contributions To Appear On New Robert Berry Album

One By One
Powerful Man
The Rules Have Changed
Our Bond
What You're Dreaming Now
Somebody's Watching
This Letter
Your Mark On The World

The last musical project that Keith Emerson was involved with prior to his death in 2016 is to see the light of day.

Robert Berry, the US singer/multi-instrumentalist will release a new album, The Rules Have Changed, under the band name 3.2. This is a direct reference to the band 3 that he was in alongside Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer in 1988. Like Emerson, Lake & Powell, 3 was supposed to carry on in the general style of ELP in the absence of one of the original members. The resultant album, 1988's To The Power Of Three, and after some live dates in America, the group disbanded a year later.

It now transpires that Berry and Emerson had been in conversation about working on a new 3 project following interest from Italian label Frontiers.

“Keith and I developed together a vision of what the new album would be like, explains Berry. “There were many times over the past 30 years since 3 had come out that Keith either played on a session for me or we just talked on the phone. The new album consists of some past 3 writing from 1988, some newly written last efforts from Keith, and some songs written exclusively by me after Keith’s death."

3.2's The Rules Have Changed is being touted as a reboot of the original 3 project. You can hear a preview of the album in the track Somebody's Watching below. The album will be released on August 10 on Frontiers.

“Every second I worked on writing, recording, and performing those songs I had one thing on my mind,” says Berry. “The phrase... ‘What would Keith do’... drove me, it guided me, it consumed my creativity. It was so important to me to fulfill our vision for this album. I believe Keith worked through me. I especially felt him with me when I did the solos. The songs we had worked on together but the solos were to be improvised while recording. You will hear his flare coming through on the solos. The solos are played by me, but, at the same time, also by him. I would never say I was even close to being the player Keith was. But I believe you can hear his spirit in the sound and in my playing. I am so proud of this album. I can’t help but think somehow he is proud of the results too.”

https://youtu.be/ESyXLOtWV90

You can preorder it on Amazon - https://youtu.be/ESyXLOtWV90

-Marc.

Didn't know about this album.

Not sure where this would fall on my priority list because Emerson (and I would guess Palmer) doesn't  (don't) play on it and it's more of a tribute album. But I do like the first album and would like to track down the demos for the second one.

I'll probably pick it up eventually at some point in the future.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #267 on: July 15, 2018, 12:27:19 AM »
Blind-bought their first album and Brain Salad Surgery 2 days ago. I’m not a big fan of their first album so far. The best songs are basically covers and I can’t truly enjoy songs that a band/artist didn’t compose. But I really like Brain Salad Surgery. Don’t really give a fuck about the first 4 songs (especially the 2 “covers”), but the Karn Evil songs are really great. Those 4 songs as a whole are pretty much just as good as Tarkus.

Anyway, definitely gonna read this thread.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:41:51 AM by NoseofNicko »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #268 on: July 15, 2018, 06:39:34 AM »
To each their own, I suppose.  Even though they are technically covers, I think ELP's psychotic adapations of classical works are one of their main selling points, and it was a very important part of the band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #269 on: July 15, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »
Eh, Take a Pebble and Lucky Man, to me, are the best songs from the first album, and both are originals.

NoseofNicko, I take it you don't like Led Zeppelin, considering a shit ton of their songs are basically (uncredited) covers, right?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2018, 07:02:07 AM »
Yeah, I don't understand that take.   One of my favorite ELP songs by far (along with Pirates) is Fanfare For A Common Man, and obviously the latter is a cover.   

Offline Skeever

« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2018, 07:11:12 AM »
I think their covers and their "heavily inspired" stuff is the best. The Greg Lake acoustic ballads have never really done it for me, and kinda cause to do one of these  ::)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #272 on: July 16, 2018, 08:16:27 AM »
I've been meaning to jump into this group for a while now, since Stadler blew me away by sending me the self-titled in my roulette. Are the rest of their albums similar to that? By similar, I mean a boatload of killer piano and great prog.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Skeever

« Reply #273 on: July 16, 2018, 08:31:31 AM »
I've been meaning to jump into this group for a while now, since Stadler blew me away by sending me the self-titled in my roulette. Are the rest of their albums similar to that? By similar, I mean a boatload of killer piano and great prog.

It's only up from there IMO. Also don't overlook Pictures from an Exhibition.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: July 16, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »

Skeever is right; if you're really into it, start chronologically, and remember that while Tarkus came out first, "Pictures..." was performed before and was shelved.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_at_an_Exhibition_(Emerson,_Lake_%26_Palmer_album)

It's one of my favorite pieces by ELP.   If you like "boatloads of piano" and "great prog", you're good with ELP up through Works I.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #275 on: July 16, 2018, 09:38:54 AM »
Killer. Thanks dudes :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #276 on: July 17, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
To each their own, I suppose.  Even though they are technically covers, I think ELP's psychotic adapations of classical works are one of their main selling points, and it was a very important part of the band.

I'd agree with this assessment.  I love pretty much everything this band has ever done expect for their final album In The Hot Seat -- especially the live albums.

Just cracked open Carl Palmer's most recent live album last weekend. Haven't gotten the change to watch the DVD yet, but the CD is awesome.  Sounds better and more polished than his other "Working Live" releases and the track listing is mostly different since it's a tribute to his fallen bandmates. My only complaint is the CD only 47 minutes long and very abridged from a 2014 concert. The DVD is the 2016 tribute concert and is full length.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2020, 02:59:28 PM »
bump.

Karn Evil 9 being adapted into a Scifi Movie by the producer of Jumanji

:o

https://deadline.com/2020/02/radar-pictures-develop-emerson-lake-palmer-song-karn-evil-9-film-1202859799/#comments

Online pg1067

« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2020, 03:22:06 PM »
bump.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/radar-pictures-develop-emerson-lake-palmer-song-karn-evil-9-film-1202859799/#comments

The description makes it sound like pretty generic YA fiction (a la the Divergent series).  We'll see.

Skeever is right; if you're really into it, start chronologically, and remember that while Tarkus came out first, "Pictures..." was performed before and was shelved.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_at_an_Exhibition_(Emerson,_Lake_%26_Palmer_album)

It's one of my favorite pieces by ELP.   If you like "boatloads of piano" and "great prog", you're good with ELP up through Works I.   

I realize this post is a year and a half old, but since someone bumped the thread....

I completely agree about not overlooking Pictures.  It's freakin' amazing (although I could do without Nut Rocker).  Check out a proper orchestra performance of the piece also.

As for the timeline, Tarkus was recorded and released first.  However, Pictures was recorded between the time that Tarkus was recorded and released.  More specifically:

Tarkus recorded:  January 1971
Pictures recorded:  March 1971
Tarkus released:  June 1971
Pictures released:  November 1971

EDIT:  Reading to confirm some of these dates indirectly reminded me how much I despise Robert Christgau.  What a fucking pompous ass.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:15:49 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2020, 03:45:50 AM »
bump.

And not one mention of Peter Sinfield, who actually wrote the lyrics with Greg Lake, instead of Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer  :lol

Anyway, I will be checking this out. I just hope they put a little budget in there. Low-budget sci-fi movies can be terrible.
any rock can be made to roll