Author Topic: Emerson Lake & Palmer Discography  (Read 47157 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
ELP: Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show that Never Ends... (1974)
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »
Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show that Never Ends, Ladies and Gentlemen -- Emerson Lake & Palmer (1974)

Back Cover (original vinyl)

Inside (original vinyl)

HOEDOWN  4:28
JERUSALEM  3:18
TOCCATA  7:21
TARKUS  27:23
  Eruption
  Stones of Years
  Iconoclast
  Mass
  Manticore
  Battlefield
  Aquatarkus
TAKE A PEBBLE  11:07
  (including "Still... You Turn Me On" and "Lucky Man")
PIANO IMPROVISATIONS  11:53
  (including "Fugue" and "Little Rock Getaway")
TAKE A PEBBLE (conclusion)  3:14
JEREMY BENDER / THE SHERIFF  5:24
KARN EVIL 9  35:24
  1st Impression
  2nd Impression
  3rd Impression

----------

The double-live album (two LPs) was the standard in Rock and Roll, but Prog of course had to take things further whenever it could.  The previous year, Yes had done so with their triple-live album Yessongs, and now it was Emerson Lake & Palmer's turn.  It was necessary, since ELP's songs are so long.  The side-long epic "Tarkus" had grown to nearly half an hour and took a side and a half, "Take a Pebble" from the first album had expanded to a similar length, and "Karn Evil 9" from Brain Salad Surgery was longer than a side to begin with; it originally occupied Sides 5 and 6 here.  Originally three LPs, the album is now two CDs.  This unfortunately splits "Take a Pebble" between the two discs, but the only way to avoid that would have involved reordering the tracks; they chose to keep the track order.

Recorded on their "Someone Get Me A Ladder" tour, Welcome Back... contains almost the entire Brain Salad Surgery album.  The only song missing is "Benny the Bouncer".  Sound quality is not great, but not horrible.  It sounds like you're sitting in the audience, which to me is the whole idea of listening to a live album.  You're supposed to be at the concert, and this album definitely represents an entire ELP concert.  (I used to sit in my room and stare at the awesome back cover picture and imagine myself there.)  The mix is very good and stereo separation is great, so it's a soundboard recording with ambient noise picked up by the onstage microphones.  I love a live album that sounds like you're actually there.  Ultra-clean soundboard recordings are also nice, but I originally acquired this album shortly after it was first released, and such things did not exist at the time.

There are no overdubs or studio magic employed.  This is what an Emerson Lake & Palmer concert sounded like in 1974.  Keith Emerson only has two hands, but you'd swear you hear at least three or four parts sometimes.  Greg Lake writes lyrics so bad that even he can't remember them sometimes, but his voice is powerful and fills the room.  Carl Palmer is a machine.  I don't know how he is regarded in the drumming world, but I've always put him right up there with Neil Peart and Phil Collins (yes, Phil Collins -- if you're laughing, go listen to some early Genesis albums).

The album opens with "Hoedown", which was the opening piece for both the Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery tours.  It's sped up a bit, but is otherwise the same basic arrangement as the original.  Emerson's Moog solo is pretty outrageous.

Then it's the Brain Salad Surgery opening twofer, "Jerusalem" and "Toccata".  They're pretty faithful to the studio versions, and while "Jerusalem" is not a particularly adventurous treatment, "Toccata" is from another planet.  It's simply mind-blowing what they manage to recreate live.  So the entire Side One of the original LP was "covers".

Then things really get serious.  "Tarkus" live is incredible.  Once again, we are struck by how much music three persons can make onstage, how true they can be to the original arrangements, and even take things to the next level.  The 5/4 Tarkus theme has been sped up from its omninous, mechanical beat to something manic and frightening.  Emerson's Moog solo during "Mass" is crazy, but is still only taste of what's to come.  Lake's electric guitar solo during "Battlefield" is cool, and quite different from the studio solo, and somewhere during it you realize that if he's playing guitar, then Emerson must be covering bass with the keyboards.  Ah yes, that big three-octave Moog patch which fills the bass and middle, since he's playing Hammond chords with his other hand.  Emerson had his Hammond specially modified so he could do such things live.  Each side of the console has sliding drawers which he can pull out, revealing MiniMoog keyboards which have been surgically removed from their electronics (which sit on top of the Hammond itself).  The final verse of "Battefield" is just Lake on voice and guitar, and he throws in a quote from "Epitaph", from King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King.  The crowds reacts appropriately.

I've already used up all of my superlative adjectives, so let's just say that Emerson's Moog solo in "Aquatarkus" goes on for nearly ten minutes and is the definitive live performance of a Moog synthesizer.  I just has to be heard to be believed.  Lake and Palmer lay down a pattern, Emerson programs both MiniMoogs, then heads over to the Modular Moog for the solo, and it's just amazing.  Best of all, the recapitulation to the Tarkus theme is organic and natural, unlike the studio version.  When they come back and finish the song, the crowd goes insane.  Emerson, ever modest, says "Thank you.  Carl Palmer.  Greg Lake."

And we're still just getting started.  We go from the electronic, synth-driven insanity of "Tarkus" to "Take A Pebble", with its acoustic grand piano and Lake's soaring voice.  After Emerson's first, shorter piano solo, we find that Lake's section has become a mini-showcase wherein he treats us to acoustic versions of "Still... You Turn Me On" and "Lucky Man".  And as is so often the case, we gain a greater appreciation for the songs, hearing them in their original settings.  "Lucky Man" finishes up with the arpeggio flourish which originally concluded the acoustic break in the studio version, preparing us for Emerson's longer solo, which has evolved into its own segment, now titled "Piano Improvisations".  He starts off solo piano, and is joined halfway through by Lake and Palmer in jazz-trio fashion, incorporating a few bits from his days with "The Nice".  Then they go into the concluding section of "Take A Pebble".  Just under 25 minutes, all told.

The Honky-Tonk medley of "Jeremy Bender" and "The Sheriff" is so seamless that I never did know where one song ended and the other began, until I acquired the original studio versions.  It seems so natural.  It's a medley, but both songs are played in their entirety, and we even get a little extra jamming at the end, featuring Emerson and Palmer trading fours.

But that was just a breather, a moment to catch your breath before the grand finale, "Karn Evil 9".  And I'm sure you're tired of hearing it by now, but it really is amazing how much of the original arrangements are reproduced here.  Three guys, six hands total (since none of them used Taurus pedals) made all of this music.  When Lake switches from bass to guitar, you hear the guitar solo but don't even think about the fact that Emerson must be covering bass with one hand, because the patch is huge and his Hammond chords keep things full.  The brief drum break toward the end of the 1st Impression is now the drum solo.  The 2nd and 3rd Impressions segue, and the transistion actually a bit smoother than on the studio version.

Originally three LPs, now two CDs, it's quite an undertaking to listen to this entire album, and yet I'm still disappointed when it's over.  In a way, it's only seven songs (considering all of the "Take A Pebble" suite as one song), but man, what songs.  Emerson Lake & Palmer blew their load with this one, and took a three-year break after it.  When they regrouped, they created the very impressive Works, Volume One, but they were never the same after this.  But I get ahead of myself.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:21:17 AM by Orbert »

Online The Letter M

Re: ELP: Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show that Never Ends... (1974)
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2013, 05:45:50 PM »
I'm listening to this masterpiece of a live album right now. I'm on "Toccata" and it's just as raw and live as I remember it being. GREAT stuff, and I shall listen to the WHOLE thing tonight! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2013, 05:46:54 PM »
Reading this and thinking about the album made me a little stiff if ya know what I mean

:hefdaddy
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
I still need to get this one. The track list is great so I'll probably pick it up sometime soon.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »
I still need to get this one. The track list is great so I'll probably pick it up sometime soon.

Definitely get this. ASAP. Like, tonight. Order it. You won't regret it.

I hold it as high as I do Yessongs and Seconds Out in terms of definitely live albums from 70's prog bands. Nothing gets better than this for ELP. Truly one of the best live albums, and one of the best ELP albums period.

Right now, I'm at Palmer's solo in the middle of "Karn Evil 9". And as a drummer, I can attest that he ranks as high as Peart, Collins and Bruford in terms of 70's prog drummers.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »
I probably won't be able to get it until next week, but it's on the top of my "to buy" list.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2013, 09:59:12 PM »
I know I've shared this story before, earlier in this very thread if I'm not mistaken, but this album was my introduction to Emerson Lake & Palmer.  I had joined a record club and they had a special deal on this album, for the price of a regular single album.  I'd remembered "Lucky Man" from the radio a few years earlier and thought all their songs were like that.  ("Emerson Lake & Palmer" = "Crosby, Stills & Nash")

When this album arrived and I put it on for the first time... :omg:  It was mindblowing.  I was in junior high.  I think my brain was permanently altered.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2013, 10:31:37 PM »
Looking back at my Amazon order history in my emails, here's the order I bought ELP albums when I got into them:
Brain Salad Surgery - 2/8/05
Pictures At An Exhibition - 2/27/05
Tarkus - 3/6/05
Trilogy - 4/15/05
Welcome Back My Friends - 5/24/05
Emerson Lake & Palmer - 9/3/05

At that point, I had all the "essentials", so I didn't really go past WBMF. It was by the end of that year that, after getting into a dozen other bands, that ELP had gone by the wayside, making way for many other bands (old and new).

It wasn't until 4 years later that I got more...
Love Beach - 4/4/09
In The Hot Seat - 4/8/09
Black Moon - 4/20/09
Emerson Lake & Powell - 5/12/09

I still have a few more to get, CD-wise (the two Works sets), but I'm sure I'll get those soon. Any suggestions on what else I should get beyond these? Note - I also already have To The Power Of Three by 3.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »
I think that's all of them, actually.  Definitely get Works, Volume One because it's great.  Works, Volume Two unfortunately is non-essential, but at that point you might as well get it for completeness.

I suppose there's Works Live (aka ELP in Concert) and the official boots, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2013, 07:21:17 AM »
My number three prog live album of all time after Seconds Out and Yessongs, Welcome Back was stunning to a younger me before I ever heard it because the songs were so long that they went across more than one side. That meant it had to be epic! Funny thing is, though, when I finally bought the triple live vinyl, I was a little less than impressed. Something about it didn't click with me, so it went to the shelf. If I needed a triple live album, I pulled out Yessongs, but if I needed a dose of 70s prog live, I went with Seconds Out.

Eventually, I started replacing my 70s prog vinyl with CDs, and it was largely out of a sense of obligation that I bought Welcome Back. By then Brain Salad Surgery had become my fave prog album, but I remembered the distance at which I had reacted to the vinyl and was cautious. On CD, though, for some reason-perhaps it was as simple as the fact that Tarkus and Karn Evil 9 didn't require me to flip the album-it clicked. Clicked big time. Hearing three men making all this glorious NOISE without resorting to side men, tapes, Taurus pedals, anything triggering something....awesome. Though I have seen video of ELP live from this time period and know it not to be true, I wonder if Keith Emerson didn't have two extra arms grafted on or something, he truly sounds like two keyboard players. Music this complex, being played perfectly by only the three men who recorded it, is mind boggling to me.

While sadly for me this is as good as ELP ever got-it's more or less downhill from here-wow, what a high point.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2013, 11:26:56 PM »
  Carl Palmer is a machine.  I don't know how he is regarded in the drumming world, but I've always put him right up there with Neil Peart and Phil Collins (yes, Phil Collins -- if you're laughing, go listen to some early Genesis albums).

Palmer is almost always in my top 5 whenever I mention my favorite rock drummers.  He was definitely a beast in his heyday. :hat

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show that Never Ends, Ladies and Gentlemen -- Emerson Lake & Palmer (1974)

Back Cover (original vinyl)

Inside (original vinyl)

HOEDOWN  4:28
JERUSALEM  3:18
TOCCATA  7:21
TARKUS  27:23
  Eruption
  Stones of Years
  Iconoclast
  Mass
  Manticore
  Battlefield
  Aquatarkus
TAKE A PEBBLE  11:07
  (including "Still... You Turn Me On" and "Lucky Man")
PIANO IMPROVISATIONS  11:53
  (including "Fugue" and "Little Rock Getaway")
TAKE A PEBBLE (conclusion)  3:14
JEREMY BENDER / THE SHERIFF  5:24
KARN EVIL 9  35:24
  1st Impression
  2nd Impression
  3rd Impression

This is the one.  For the longest time it used to be my favorite live album of all-time. Few live albums can touch this record.

I'm never good at the "If you can pick one album..." game because 99 times out of a 100 I can't. But in this case, This is the one Emerson Lake and Palmer album I want on my island. It's the reason I barely listen to Brain Salad Surgery (the album) anymore.

It's all here. I just wish it sounded a little better, but even that isn't enough to obscure the magic that is happening on this record. The King Biscuit Flower Hour  mix of some of these songs I think is a little better, but it's not the whole set.

This is the perfect combination of energy and musicianship. The only thing I miss is that there's nothing from the second half of the decade on this record, but this one is so good that I often forget that.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »
Orbert, are you gonna finish out the discography? After Works Vol. 1, there's nothing really good, but I'll still follow for the lol's.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »
Orbert, are you gonna finish out the discography? After Works Vol. 1, there's nothing really good, but I'll still follow for the lol's.

I hope he will! I look forward to following a long so I can finally give their post-WBMFTTSTNELAGELP discography a good listen. Just to be sure, you'll also be including ELPowell and 3 as well, right? While not entirely ELP, both bands feature 2 of the 3 members and follow along in the band's history.

-Marc.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2013, 11:17:53 AM »

I hope he will!

ditto, those are some of my favorite write-ups to read.  I want to know what led up to something being crap.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »
I'll take it as far as I can.  I got ahold of Love Beach (which I'd never bothered with on CD before), Emerson, Lake & Powell, 3 to the Power of Three, and In the Hot Seat.  I had Black Moon.  So I think that's it.  I've been trying to find a copy of Works Live, but haven't had any luck so far.

Next installments are coming.  I want to give Works, Volume One another listen.  All this talk about the sound quality of Welcome Back... made me curious.  I checked and discovered that I'd ripped it at 128k way back when I had a Windows 95 PC with a whoppin' 20GB hard drive.  So I re-ripped it at 320k and have been cranking it in the car for the past week.  My CD player died a while back, so this was glorious.  But it's delayed my listen to Works.  It's coming.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2013, 11:57:06 AM »
I'll take it as far as I can.  I got ahold of Love Beach (which I'd never bothered with on CD before), Emerson, Lake & Powell, 3 to the Power of Three, and In the Hot Seat.  I had Black Moon.  So I think that's it.  I've been trying to find a copy of Works Live, but haven't had any luck so far.
I have all of those studio albums, so I should definitely be good to follow along with those! :tup I don't have Works Live yet, either, so that won't matter to me if you get it or not.

Next installments are coming.  I want to give Works, Volume One another listen.  All this talk about the sound quality of Welcome Back... made me curious.  I checked and discovered that I'd ripped it at 128k way back when I had a Windows 95 PC with a whoppin' 20GB hard drive.  So I re-ripped it at 320k and have been cranking it in the car for the past week.  My CD player died a while back, so this was glorious.  But it's delayed my listen to Works.  It's coming.

:lol Glad you got around to re-listening to it in near-CD Quality, as it should be. Granted, even at the higher bit rate, the album still sounds a bit raw, but I think it fits the over-all sound and feel of the music. If it were clear and polished, it would lose something in the final product. The production itself helps create the mood of the album, and it works for ELP.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »
Orbert, are you gonna finish out the discography? 

Why wouldn't he?

After Works Vol. 1, there's nothing really good, but I'll still follow for the lol's.

Black Moon is great. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »
Black Moon is great.

Guess we have very different definitions of "greatness" :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »
I will admit that nostalgia probably plays a big part in my love for that album, as it is what got me into ELP, but I think some fans get hung up on it not being proggy enough (because of the lack of longer songs) and dismiss it.  But there are some dynamite songs on it, which I will elaborate more on when we get to it...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »
Also, I guess the reason why I was curious how far it'd continue is, fans of Yes and Genesis both have things that have happened passed their classic-era to feel good about, as well as successful solo efforts outside the main bands, many of which are still relevant today. ELP have been nowhere near as enduring. There's a couple of decent spinoff records in the 80's, and that's it. Everything after is a wasteland. Compared to the ELP's initial 4-6 album run (depending on how you count studio and live stuff), everything after Works Vol. 1 is "Tormado" level quality, and that's being extremely generous in some cases.

Another thing is, lots of Yes and Genesis albums that were considered bad at the time have become good in their own ways, and fans have softened their stances on them apparently. With ELP, that's just never true. "Love Beach" isn't good for what it is like "90125" or "Talk". Neither is "In the Hot Seat".

Offline Jaq

« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »
Love Beach isn't good for anything.  :lol Someone gave me that album for free and I wanted my money back.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2013, 05:18:56 PM »
I haven't listened to Black Moon since I got it 3 years ago but I remember liking a lot of it.

And I ordered Welcome Back My Friends. It shipped today.  :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Emerson Lake & Palmer: Works Volume 1 (1977)
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »
Emerson Lake & Palmer: Works Volume 1 (1977)

KEITH EMERSON
Piano Concerto No. 1
  First Movement: Allegro Giojoso
  Second Movement: Andante Molto Cantabile
  Third Movement: Toccata Con Fuoco

GREG LAKE
Lend Your Love to Me Tonight
C'est La Vie
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Nobody Loves You Like I Do
Closer to Believing

CARL PALMER
The Enemy God Dances with the Black Spirits
L. A. Nights
New Orleans
Bach Two Part Invention in D Minor
Food For Your Soul
Tank

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER
Fanfare For The Common Man
Pirates

----------

After Brain Salad Surgery and the highly successful "Someone Get Me A Ladder" Tour, capping off five albums and tours in four years, it was time for a much-needed break.  They took some time off, and pursued various other projects, musical and otherwise.  Keith, Greg, and Carl considered making solo albums, since that's what you do when your band takes a break.  Once again, they looked to Yes for guidance.  Yes had taken a sabbatical the previous year and each of its members had recorded solo albums.  The combined sales of all five solo albums did not match the sales of even a single album by the band.  ELP worried that the results would be similar for them.

Their solution was Works Volume 1, a double LP, with one side devoted to each member, and the fourth side featuring the combined talents of Emerson Lake & Palmer.  Each side also features a full orchestra, adding depth and power to both the invididual and group compositions.  After three years, it was the biggest Emerson Lake & Palmer album yet.  Was it worth the wait?  That depends on whom you ask.

Keith Emerson, like many classically trained pianists, dreamed of writing and performing his own piano concerto, and with his status in the music industry at the time, he was able to realize his dream.  Side One of the album was Keith Emerson's "Piano Concerto No. 1".  He of course plays a Steinway grand piano, and is accompanied by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by John Mayer, who also helped with the orchestration.  At just over 18 minutes, it's a respectable work, a real piano concerto in the sonata format.

Greg Lake's side is five of his songs.  They're about the same quality as the individual songs which had appeared on ELP albums over the years, but they are enhanced here by an orchestra rather than Emerson and Palmer.  Keith does play on one of the songs.

Carl Palmer's side is perhaps the most interesting musically.  Three of the pieces ("The Enemy God", "Food For Your Soul", and "Tank") are hard-driving orchestral pieces, giving Carl a chance to really cut loose on the drum kit.  "Tank" is an orchestrated version of the same piece from the first Emerson Lake & Palmer album.  The drum solo in the middle has been removed, but the addition of a full orchestra more than makes up for it.  "L. A. Nights" is another rocker, featuring Joe Walsh on guitar and scat vocals, and Ian McDonald on saxophone.  Bach's "Two Part Invention in D Minor" is a nice treatment on tuned percussion of a piece most people will recognize right away.  Carl plays the vibraphone and his buddy James Blades plays the marimba.  The other piece, "New Orleans", is something of an oddity.  Barely more than an idea or two, it's the shortest work other than the Bach piece, though it does feature some nice percussion work, which obviously is the idea.

The group side features two longer pieces.  To satisfy the "ELP rock treatment of a classical piece" quota, we get Aaron Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man".  It starts innocently enough, with tympani and the actual fanfare played by trumpets.  Then it goes into a jam by just ELP, featuring Keith taking an extended solo on the Yamaha GX-1 synthesizer (his newest toy).  They eventually come back to the original theme and finish the piece.

During the ELP hiatus, Keith Emerson was approached to write a film score.  The movie was to be a film adaptation of Frederick Forsyth's The Dogs of War.  It was ultimately cancelled, but not before Emerson had written quite a bit of music.  He rearranged some of it into a 13-minute suite, Greg Lake and Pete Sinfield added a few reams of lyrics, and the result was "Pirates", the last great ELP epic.  The Orchestra de l'Opera de Paris is present throughout, but so are Emerson Lake & Palmer.  It is an amazing work.  Today, it's not that uncommon to hear synthesizers and electric guitars alongside real strings and brass; back then it was nearly unhead-of.

There are a obviously a number of things that make Works Volume 1 different from the others.  Specifically devoting equal time to each member to indulge himself however he chose was new.  The presence of a full symphony orchestra permeating everything from classical to rock was new.  Also, every ELP album up to this point had been produced by Greg Lake.  Here, each member produced his own portion of the album.  Greg produced his side and the group side.

In some ways, this is the greatest ELP album of them all.  I can also see why some would ignore just about all of it.  If you have no interest in modern classical music, Keith's piano concerto won't do anything for you.  If Greg's ballads don't do much for you, there's another quarter of the album.  I think Carl's side is my favorite and the most consistent, but not everyone is impressed by orchestral rock.  And even the two mini-epics by the group will not appeal to everyone.  Honestly, "Fanfare for the Common Man" is interesting the first few times, but after a while you realize that it's just a long synth solo bookended by a fanfare.

Personally, I consider "Pirates" a masterpiece.  It's obviously quite different from "Karn Evil 9", but I love them both equally, in different ways.  It's got a lot of lyrics, and I made it a point to learn them all.  I love cranking it out in the car and singing along, imagining myself as the pirate captain who just happens to be a monster tenor.

The "Works" tour was both hugely successful and a complete disaster.  They decided to take an orchestra on the road with them.  With all the orchestral works on the album, a suite from Pictures at an Exhibition, and a handful of other songs, it was an amazing show, an artistic triumph for rock and roll.

But there were a number of limitations imposed by the musicians' union (to which the orchestra members belonged) which crippled the tour.  One was a rule that they could not travel more than 100 miles per day.  Rock bands routinely travelled 100 miles or more between shows, but not symphony orchestras.  The established model couldn't be used to predict ticket sales.  Fans will travel 50 miles or more to see a concert, so ELP ended up playing to half-empty venues.  Another limitations was a rule that they could only play three shows per week.  Again, this cut deeply into the revenue stream.

Before they were halfway through the tour, they were nearly bankrupt.  The decision was made to drop the orchestra.  The contract was set up so that they were paid for the entire tour, but their salaries weren't actually the greatest expense.  Putting them up in hotels the entire tour, plus all the food, plus all the extra stage gear and trucks to move it all, were the real expense.  Many orchestra members offerred to forfeit their salaries if they could finish the tour.  They wanted to finish the tour; it was an incredible show.  But the only way for the tour to have any chance of turning a profit was to cut the orchestra and all the added expense that went with it.  The orchestra played a few select venues, including Madison Square Garden.  This was doable, since most of them lived in New York City anyway.

I saw the Works tour, but after the orchestra had been dropped.  "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Pirates" were still both pretty cool, but definitely not the same without the orchestra.  "Tarkus" was great, but again, I could only wonder what it would've sounded like.  Same with "Pictures at an Exhibition".  But it was the one and only time I saw Emerson Lake & Palmer, and I did get to see them, and it was still a hell of a show.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:23:57 AM by Orbert »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Emerson Lake & Palmer: Works Volume 1 (1977)
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »
I've never really listened to the rest of the ELP discography (hell, I've owned all of it for years but just never got around to Works 2, Black Moon or Inside The Hot Seat), and I never really come back to Works 1, but C'est La Vie is an absolutely beautiful song and Pirates is pretty fun.

I have revisited Works 1 from time to time, but I usually end up skipping Emerson's piano piece. I can't take 18 minutes of that.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2013, 11:32:46 PM »
I adore Pirates.  I remember taking the time to learn all of the words to that song, and there are A LOT of lyrics to it.  I can't remember the last time I actually looked at the lyrics, but I probably still know almost all of them.  That is a top 3 ELP song in my book.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2013, 07:42:20 AM »
The only parts of this album that worked for me were Carl Palmer's songs and the two full band tracks, especially Pirates. I don't think I've made it all the way through Emerson's piano piece ever, and I've tried listening to it as vinyl that I borrowed from a friend, on the cassette that my friend replaced his vinyl with, and on Spotify. The Lake songs are okay, but they're kind of Lake by numbers, and don't really interest me. Pirates, though, rivals Karn Evil 9 and Tarkus as being the best things ELP ever did, and makes me wish instead of the silly "each guy gets a side" thing they'd done a full album of ELP plus orchestra. (To be fair, I'm not too fond of the only other album built like this I know off the top of my head, Pink Floyd's Ummagumma, either. The format just doesn't work for me.)

I like to think of Pirates as being the last thing ELP ever did during their classic run. God knows it should have been.  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »
So I went to listen to this... while sitting at work working overnight... and I realized that I had put "Pictures..." on my phone instead of Works... and OMG it was amazing!

I'll probably check out Works tomorrow.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »
That's cool that you got "accidentally" turned on to Pictures at an Exhibition, though.

I like Emerson's Piano Concerto No. 1, but maybe because I'm a pianist and also have some background in the classics and orchestral music.  I realize that it's not for everyone.  It has that "modern classical" thing going on that is somewhere between true awesomeness and music school student quality.  Where it falls on that scale depends on your own taste and background.  I take it for what it is.  A guy known for insane rock keyboard theatrics got a chance to write and perform his own piano concerto.  Is it a masterpiece?  Hell, no.  But it's not horrible, and I'm sure he's proud of it, so I listen to it sometimes.

Lake's stuff is pretty standard Lake balladry, but I think the orchestra does add a lot.  A couple of times, I found myself comparing him to Neil Diamond's Jonathan Livingston Seagull or even Hot August Night.  Neil is a much better songwriter than Greg, but there's still something about his powerful voice fully supported by an orchestra that's really incredible and uplifting.  You see, Greg doesn't realize that his songs are lame.  The chords are cool, the music is sweet, and he belts out those horrible lyrics with all of his heart and soul, and he sells them.  And I'm sure that there are people, somewhere, who think his lyrics are really clever.  I did, when I was in high school.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
That's cool that you got "accidentally" turned on to Pictures at an Exhibition, though.

I like Emerson's Piano Concerto No. 1, but maybe because I'm a pianist and also have some background in the classics and orchestral music.  I realize that it's not for everyone.  It has that "modern classical" thing going on that is somewhere between true awesomeness and music school student quality.  Where it falls on that scale depends on your own taste and background.  I take it for what it is.  A guy known for insane rock keyboard theatrics got a chance to write and perform his own piano concerto.  Is it a masterpiece?  Hell, no.  But it's not horrible, and I'm sure he's proud of it, so I listen to it sometimes.

Lake's stuff is pretty standard Lake balladry, but I think the orchestra does add a lot.  A couple of times, I found myself comparing him to Neil Diamond's Jonathan Livingston Seagull or even Hot August Night.  Neil is a much better songwriter than Greg, but there's still something about his powerful voice fully supported by an orchestra that's really incredible and uplifting.  You see, Greg doesn't realize that his songs are lame.  The chords are cool, the music is sweet, and he belts out those horrible lyrics with all of his heart and soul, and he sells them.  And I'm sure that there are people, somewhere, who think his lyrics are really clever.  I did, when I was in high school.

Appropriate that you post about the first two sides as I am just about done listening to them. You're right about Lake's side - it's very Lake-y balladry, and there's a few great moments, but it all really runs together. The Emerson piano concerto was great, only because I have an affinity to classic music (having gone to college for degree in music, I had to listen to a LOT of it).

It's good album, over-all, but I feel they could have made their sides shorter, or made this a shorter album. I understand Emerson wanted a whole concerto, so that prompted Lake and Palmer to produce over 20 minutes of their own music, but I think it's a BIT too long. Still great, though, especially compared to what would come after. Now I am off to listen to Palmer's side, which seems to be starting very interestingly with "The Enemy God Dances With The Black Spirits".

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
I honestly do not remember much of the first three sides of this record - I just remember most of it not doing a lot for me - but I do think that C'est la Vie is a very nice little tune.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Emerson Lake & Palmer: Works Volume 2 (1977)
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »
Emerson Lake & Palmer: Works Volume 2 (1977)

Tiger in a Spotlight
When the Apple Blossoms Bloom in the Windmills of Your Mind I'll Be Your Valentine
Bullfrog
Brain Salad Surgery
Barrelhouse Shake-Down
Watching Over You
So Far to Fall
Maple Leaf Rag
I Believe in Father Christmas
Close But Not Touching
Honky Tonk Train Blues
Show Me the Way to Go Home

----------

This was an odd one, and let's be honest; "odd" by Emerson Lake & Palmer standards is really odd.

Works Volume 1 was a double LP in a tri-fold jacket.  It was therefore a bit thicker and sturdier than most double LPs, and between that and the very formal black cover, and the "Volume 1" in its title, it seemed to imply that there would be a "Volume 2" of equal status or import forthcoming.  Perhaps it would be similar in nature, perhaps complimentary.

Okay, it went the other direction, in several ways.  Works Volume 2 was a single release, in a standard single jacket (the first release since the debut to not "open up"), and the cover was exactly like Works Volume 1 except that the black and white were reversed.  So yes, it was complimentary.  None of that was a problem.  These are all cosmetic details, and looks aren't everything.

The biggest surprise, and for some, disappointment, was that this album didn't seem like "works" at all.  12 tracks, most in the three-to-four-minute range and none over five minutes in length.  Many Prog defenders are quick to point out that it isn't all about long songs or multi-movement suites.  You can pack a lot of music into a five-minute tune.  That's all true.  But usually that argument comes up when there are longer songs on the album and someone bashes the "regular" song or two that help fill out the album.  They might even call them "filler", which is where the term came from.

And so we have a problem, a dichotomy.  None of these tracks are bad.  Really.  The playing is solid by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.  Greg's voice is as strong and full as ever.  If any one of these had appeared on an earlier ELP album, they would have been fine.  The shorter songs which give us a little breather between the epics.  There's a great variety to the tracks as well.  We have everything from Emerson's honky-tonk to Lake's ballads to Palmer's percussive outrageousness.  Greg even seems to finally acknowledge his shortcomings in the lyrics department and once again enlists the help of Peter Sinfield on five of the songs.  That's all of them, actually, since six of the 12 tracks are instrumentals and the one other song is a cover.

So what's the problem?  The problem is that ELP had been basically on a steady upward trajectory in the Prog department, hitting their peak with "Karn Evil 9", the more-than-side-long epic, or possibly on Works Volume 1 with several long tracks featuring a full orchestra.  The epitome of Prog, certainly.  We therefore expected either more orchestral madness, a return to Emerson Lake & Palmer as usual, or something beyond.  Instead, we got 12 "regular" tracks and no Prog.  They would all be dismissed as filler, except that they're all we have, so they are the substance, not the filler.  This has led to widely mixed reviews.  I've seen everything from four stars out of five, to people asking if they could give a negative score.

I'm not gonna go track-by-track.  There are three songs here that are outtakes from the Brain Salad Surgery sessions: the title track, "Tiger in a Spotlight" and the instrumental "When the Apple Blossoms Bloom in the Windmills of Your Mind I'll Be Your Valentine".  Most of the rest are leftovers from Works Volume 1.  A few Emerson pieces ("Barrel House Shake-Down" and Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag", both with orchestra), a Lake ballad (the beautiful "Watching Over You"), and a couple of Palmer instrumental tracks ("Bullfrog" and "Close But Not Touching").  The rest are band tracks, including a reworking of Greg Lake's "I Believe in Father Christmas" which was minor hit in Great Britain and still gets rolled out during the holidays every year.

Again, none of these tracks are bad, though how interesting you find them depends on your background and taste, as with Works Volume 1.  It's just that we've come to expect something from Emerson Lake & Palmer -- that is, we expect to get completely blown away at least a few times each album -- and instead we get 12 not-bad tracks totalling 44 minutes, and when it's over, we ask "Wait, was that it?"  Not exactly the response you're shooting for from a Prog audience, or any audience.

What they should have done was somehow combine the two Works volumes.  Either fit the remaining solo pieces onto their respective sides, and the band pieces onto the band side, or maybe even have made it a triple LP with the three solo sides and a total of three sides of band works.  Either way, these tracks would not have stood out the way they do now.  An entire album of filler (which this is not, but definitely how it appears) was not the way to go, and the poor sales and greatly mixed reviews bear that out.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:25:49 AM by Orbert »

Online The Letter M

Re: Emerson Lake & Palmer: Works Volume 2 (1977)
« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »
Listening through Works Volume 2 now and you're right. It's a rag-tag group of leftovers. I feel like they could have stuck these pieces onto Vol 1 and just released a triple vinyl, but after a LIVE triple vinyl, I can see why they'd decide not to.

The songs aren't bad, but they're not great, especially considering how good/up-to-par Volume 1 was. This album almost seems like an afterthought to me, considering many of the pieces were from earlier sessions.

-Marc.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »
Sometimes a band can take songs recorded at older sessions and make magic with them. After all, that's what happened with Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti-a great deal of it had been recorded during sessions for other albums, as far back as 1970. So it can be done.

Works Vol 2, sadly, does not make that case at all. I have no problem with the song lengths or the structures or any of that...the songs are clearly leftover ideas, and they were left over for a reason. Arguably the least essential ELP album if you're just listening to them...I say that because the trainwreck that is Love Beach should be heard at least once for the laughs that side one will bring...and a definite sign that the end was coming for ELP. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »
Figures I'm falling behind here again.

I love Works Volume 1. It's among my favorites.

Sure the band side is awesome, but it's really the first time to experience the greatness of Carl Palmer and really foreshadows his full-blown foray into his own brand of big band and fusion.

I like the Emerson side also and I think it's really the first time he shines in a composer context without the rock counterpoint.

The Greg Lake side was always the weak one for me, but over the years I'm come to appreciate his talents as a counter balance.

I like Works Volume II although it almost seems like the contractual obligation album of outtakes, B-sides and leftovers. As diverse as it seems to be as when they were recorded, it always seemed to me to be in the same kind of style, so maybe they recorded these types of songs to fill out an album as needed.

It sort of reminds me of Zeppelin's Coda in that way. Good album, but not a lot of cohesion and context.

And in that way I consider Love Beach to be a better album.

For those who slag Love Beach, and I had that opinion too once after looking at that cover, I ask you to listen to In The Hot Seat. In comparison to that Love Beach is a masterpiece, but I guess we're getting a little bit ahead here so I'll stop.