Author Topic: Emerson Lake & Palmer Discography  (Read 46564 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Emerson Lake & Palmer Discography
« on: January 21, 2013, 10:43:14 PM »
Welcome back, my friends, to Orbert's Discography series.  Ladies and Gentleman...

Emerson Lake & Palmer (1970)

(click for larger view)

Keith Emerson - Keyboards
Greg Lake - Vocals, Guitar, Bass
Carl Palmer - Drums, Percussion

The Barbarian
Take a Pebble
Knife-Edge
The Three Fates
  a. Clotho
  b. Lachesis
  c. Atropos
Tank
Lucky Man

----------

Let's get one thing clear:  There are no commas in the name of this band.  There is no Oxford comma, and there is no comma between "Emerson" and "Lake".  Look at the cover.  Do you see any commas?  No, you don't, because there aren't any.  Go to the band's official website and read what it says across the top of the Home Page: "EMERSON LAKE & PALMER".  The name of the band is almost, but not quite, a proper listing of the names of its three members.  I'm glad we have that straightened out.  I'm sorry I have to take this tone of voice with you, but this is important.  The Internet: Serious Business.

The Nice were a four-piece English band in the late 60's, and Keith Emerson was the keyboard player.  He was pretty much insane, although to be fair, so were the rest of the band.  Their music was a bizarre blend of rock, jazz, blues, classical, and everything else they could work in, from Bach to Brubeck.  During his solos, Emerson would wrestle with his Hammond organ, flip it around on stage, simulate sex with it, and stick knives into the keyboard (it was quite theatrical, but actually served a purpose: it held down certain notes while he continued to abuse the instrument).  He set fire to things on stage.  He became known as "the Hendrix of the keyboards".  Their singer was not very good, however, and after four albums in three years, Emerson felt that the band had gone about as far as they could, and he was thinking of leaving.

King Crimson's debut album In the Court of the Crimson King sold more copies than The Nice's entire catalogue, and featured a brilliant young singer named Greg Lake.  Greg Lake and Robert Fripp grew up together and had the same guitar teacher, so when Fripp put King Crimson together, Lake played bass.  Lake's first love was singing, but his second was playing guitar, and he couldn't do that in King Crimson.  It would be over 10 years and several lineups until King Crimson had room for a second guitar player.

Carl Palmer was only 19 years old, but he had already played on a hit record, "Fire!" by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.  Arthur Brown had a somewhat different career trajectory in mind than most would assume a band would take after their first hit record, and it would be several years before their first album.  Meanwhile, they played the underground circuit.  Carl Palmer left that band and helped form Atomic Rooster, and thus was not looking for a new gig.

The Nice and King Crimson played a lot of the same venues and even shared the bill a number of times, and Keith Emerson ended up talking with Greg Lake about forming a new band.  It would be a trio, with plenty of room for everyone.  Emerson would of course play keyboards, which meant Lake would play bass much of the time, but Emerson, a classically trained pianist and organist, had no trouble providing a bass line with the keyboards so Lake could play guitar.  All they needed was a drummer.  They convinced Carl Palmer to join them for a jam, even though he was not looking to leave Atomic Rooster.  After playing with Emerson and Lake, he decided to leave Atomic Rooster.  The name of the band would simply be the names of its members in alphabetical order (without a comma) and ELP was born.

Emerson Lake & Palmer opens with an instrumental, "The Barbarian".  Heavily distorted guitar, then the drums and organ come in with a heavy, plodding beat evoking a powerful, lumbering hulk of a man, a barbarian.  It is essentially a rock treatment of "Allegro Barbaro", a piano piece by Bela Bartok.  The break is an acoustic piano solo.  So right away, this was different music.

Completely changing the mood, Greg Lake's "Take a Pebble" is mostly acoustic guitar and piano, and Lake's clear, lyrical voice.  At 12 1/2 minutes, it is the longest track on the album.  After the second verse is the first piano solo, accompanied by bass and drums, based on a variation of the verse.  Then there is a quiet section featuring acoustic guitar and the sounds of someone tossing pebbles into the water.  The guitar works its way into a two-step pattern, accompanied by some handclaps, and eventually reaching a climax.  Then a second, longer piano solo follows, and eventually the third verse arrives in a very dramatic fashion, featuring cymbal crashes and tympani, but other than the bass, it's all acoustic.

"Knife-Edge" is another band composition, but again, during the break, Emerson brings in some classical, this time a Bach organ prelude.

Emerson's "The Three Fates" opens Side Two of the original LP.  Based on The Three Fates from mythology, "Clotho" is performed on a pipe organ, "Lachesis" is an acoustic piano solo, and "Atropos" is piano, bass, and drums, a jazz trio playing classical variations in a rock format.  This is a very heavy, experimental track, with moments of brilliance, and all of it basically the guys seeing how far they can take things.

"Tank" is an Emerson/Palmer composition, another instrumental, with Palmer's drum solo bridging the two parts.  It's an up-tempo piece featuring virtuoso playing by all three members.

"Lucky Man", the closing song, was released as the single.  It became a hit in both the U.K. and the U.S.  It has some percussion and multiple tracks of voices and guitars, and Lake insisted the Emerson add something.  Emerson had just taken delivery of his first Moog synthesizer, so he noodled up a solo to end the song.  Lake loved it and they kept the take.  Emerson referred to his solo as "a lot of shit, actually".

----------

In 1976, I was in junior high.  I had a job making minimum wage, and pretty much all of my money was spent on records, snack food, and various things to smoke.  I joined the RCA Record Club, which sent me a catalogue every month of the latest offerrings.  There would be a little picture of each album cover and a little description.  I learned later that these "clubs" were basically clearinghouses for surplus albums, but I didn't care.  Cheap records, lots of new music to check out.

What caught my attention was "Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show that Never Ends, Ladies and Gentlemen... Emerson Lake & Palmer.  Lucky Man, Karn Evil 9 (35 minute version), etc.  (3 records)"

The title of the album was so long that that's all they had room to write in the space for that album.  Oh, and the price, which was the same as a single LP.  Now, I remember hearing "Lucky Man" on the radio a few years back.  It was an acoustic guitar song with nice vocals, kinda like Crosby, Stills, and Nash.  Ah, I see!  ELP are a folk band, like CSN.  But what's with the 35-minute song?  Holy crap.  I'd never heard of a song that long before.  But I was ordering it anyway; a triple live album for the price of a regular single LP was too good a deal to pass up.

:omg:  My mind was blown.  This was not an acoustic folk band.  My musical horizons, which were actually pretty broad for a junior high kid, since I'd cut my teeth on Chicago's four-record live album Chicago at Carnegie Hall, were broadened another couple of sizes.  Also, I was a pianist and aspiring keyboard player.  I'd recently joined my first band and bought my first electric piano.  And here was keyboard-based rock and roll.  And it was totally insane!  A triple live album with seven songs total.  Can you even do that?

I have to believe that a lot of people's experience with Emerson Lake & Palmer was similar.  They heard "Lucky Man" on the radio, and they went and bought the album.  I'm sure some people had no idea what to think, many probably tossed it out, but there would be a certain number of people whose minds and ears got expanded by it.  This is not an album for the meek.  This is insane, classical-jazz-art-rock.  The word "progressive" hadn't been invented yet, let alone shortened to "prog".  I heard it called "classical rock" because it had a lot of classical in it, and "art rock" because... well, because it wasn't normal rock, so it must've been "artsy" or something.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:54:30 AM by Orbert »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Emerson Lake & Palmer (1970)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »
Finally!!!!!! :biggrin:

I remember when I first got into ELP about 20 years ago.  My intro to them was Black Moon, but then I got the Atlantic Years double CD from Columbia House as part of that 6 CDs for a penny deal, and the song from the first album that immediately grabbed me was Take a Pebble.  I could not believe how incredible that song was.  If my memory serves me correctly, it was the first 10 minute plus song not by Pink Floyd or Rush that I went totally bonkers over.  I recognized Lucky Man from classic rock radio, and Tank and Knife-edge were both tunes I dug a lot as well.

It took me a while to get around to eventually the whole first album on CD, but when I did, I was blown away by The Barbarian and The Three Fates, the two songs from it not on that Atlantic Years compilation set.  In many ways, ELP's debut is an album that never topped, or even equaled.  For my money, it is their best and most consistent record.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
I really enjoy this album, it's a lot of fun. I still prefer Brain Salad Surgery, but this is great as well. A strong debut.

If this turns into a whole ELP thread, will you cover ELPowell?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:01:46 PM »
*Looks at listing in iTunes*

Mr. Orbert, mine is listed with a comma--*SLAP!*

Orbert: Get out! Out out out!

:P

Hooray for a new thread! I have all the albums by these guys too! So this one should be fun! ...Except for Love Beach, which will just be funny.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »
Hah, my first reaction as well.  :lol

Other than changing the album and artist's titles in my foobar, I'll comment later after I've had a proper relisten of this.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 02:21:40 AM »
Oh great! Since I've barely listened to ELP I'll be following this thread and give each album a thorough spin as it's being discussed.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:44:43 AM »
I really like this album. It's totally over the top, and I love that.

I remember hearing Knife Edge for the first time, and realising that the riff I'd been playing for about six months had already been done (ie. it's the Knife Edge one) so I was a bit miffed, but hell, I love the song, so it's all cool. I find that Lake has a very doom laden quality to his voice on the heavier songs on this record (and also on much of his Crimson stuff), which I think is really neat, and pretty chilling too.

All in all, I love it.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:08:17 AM »

That is to say, I'm following. Will listen a few times today, likely in the car despite this commemorative photo op. Should have some thoughts gathered by the end of the day.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:31:58 AM »
PC, you are awesome.  I love that little phonograph.  I too got my copy of the LP out last night, though that was to check some things out.  I was right; "Knife-Edge" is hyphenated.  Usually it's not when listed online.  Also, "Lachesis" is actually spelled wrong on ELP's official website (and "Knife-Edge" is missing the hyphen).  Yes, I'm anal about stuff like that, but come on, it's the official band website; you'd think they'd at least proofread it.

Wow, looks like we're gonna have some good participation.  Six replies already, and I only posted last night.

Finally!!!!!! :biggrin:

Yeah, yeah.  ;)  I've been busy.

I'm currently trying to hunt down a copy of Emerson, Lake and Powell, and also 3 to the Power of Three.  I'd like to include them both in the discussion at least, and give them each a proper write-up if I can.

I tried to make it obvious that my "comma" obsession is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but also kinda serious.  A lot of band names are clever, intentional misspellings of words, and while English teachers may cringe, I've always felt that the way the band spells it is the "right" way, end of discussion.  Crosby, Stills and Nash has a comma; Emerson Lake & Palmer does not.  It's on every album cover that way.  Sure it's written incorrectly a lot, in publications and online, probably more than it's actually written correctly.  But "accepted" still doesn't equal "correct".

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:37:23 AM »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »
OK, I've had some time to listen, and here's what I'm thinking:

First off, I probably listen to this self-titled record less than I listen to any of what I'll refer to as the "big 5" ELP albums that I really enjoy. It should be easy enough to guess what those are :P

Secondly, until clicking on the image Orbert provided and enlarging it, I never noticed that the outline of a profiled head can be seen beneath the wing of the bird on the cover. Cool effect. For some reason, my LP version is just a slip-case, so there's no option of folding out the art to see the whole picture.

Now, for the music itself. Most of what I consider to be the elements necessary for good ELP are here: there's the fusion of diverting influences among the members represented, though not as formulaically focused as it'd be on later albums. There's also lots of "classic" rock, and more than apt musicality and technicality to go with it. Lake also sounds really good vocally, and his unique sense of melody and delivery is already fully developed here.

Still, I feel like this album is missing something that the rest of ELP's 70's albums have. While the album is still gritty and aggressive, it also lacks a certain bombastic and thematic element, even despite all of influences it has in Classical Music. The compositions on self-titled also seem to be less in-your-face, less gloriously self-righteous, and less anthemic. Also, Lake's acoustic song is here, though his fascination with Copland and the Wild West is not.

Overall, very solid debut album that established ELP as a no-holds-barred kind of progressive band while still leaving plenty of creative place for them to develop. I still listen to this far less than "Brain Salad Surgery", "Trilogy", "Tarkus", and "Pictures at an Exhibition", but I'm sure we'll get around to talking about those. 

PC, you are awesome.  I love that little phonograph.  I too got my copy of the LP out last night, though that was to check some things out.  I was right; "Knife-Edge" is hyphenated.  Usually it's not when listed online.  Also, "Lachesis" is actually spelled wrong on ELP's official website (and "Knife-Edge" is missing the hyphen).  Yes, I'm anal about stuff like that, but come on, it's the official band website; you'd think they'd at least proofread it.

Thanks. It's not a great phono, but it takes up zero space, can be safely packaged away, and can be hooked up to outside speakers that make it seem half-decent. It's perfect for me now, until I have the space to get a proper turntable. I have vinyl LPs of 5 LP studio albums and "Welcome Back My Friends..." so I'll be giving those a listen for comparison, too, if I have time.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 10:13:19 AM »
Of the better known prog bands of the 70s, I rate ELP behind Genesis and Yes in terms of my favorites, and ahead of King Crimson. Other than liking their music, though, I don't really have the emotional connection to ELP's music that I do with Genesis and Yes; I arrived at ELP after getting into Genesis and Yes, and did it almost out of a sense of obligation to the prog genre. I will say, though, without hesitation that while I like those two bands more, my favorite 70s prog album ever is Brain Salad Surgery, so it isn't like I half assed my liking of ELP.  :lol

I bought the debut album at a yard sale-as I mentioned in the Genesis thread, it had an inner sleeve that may or may not have been the one it was issued with, featuring pictures of lots of older albums on it, including Selling England By The Pound-and initially was less than impressed with it. The two instrumentals leaped out at me originally of the songs on the album-Take A Pebble just drifted a little too much, Lucky Man really only stood out because of Emerson going mad on the synth at the end-but time has been kinder to this album for me. It's not quite as bombastic and over the top as ELP would become, but it's coming.

I have to admit, much as with the Yes thread and Tormato, and the Genesis thread and Invisible Touch, I'm waiting with a grin on my face for the commentary on Love Beach. I suspect that's going to be fun.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »

I'm currently trying to hunt down a copy of Emerson, Lake and Powell.
I have Emerson Lake and Powell on vinyl. It's a really great album. Especially Touch and Go
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »
Of the better known prog bands of the 70s, I rate ELP behind Genesis and Yes in terms of my favorites, and ahead of King Crimson. Other than liking their music, though, I don't really have the emotional connection to ELP's music that I do with Genesis and Yes; I arrived at ELP after getting into Genesis and Yes, and did it almost out of a sense of obligation to the prog genre.

This is almost exactly how I feel about ELP. I *love* Yes and Genesis, without a doubt. After I got into Rush and Dream Theater, then went back to discover the roots of 70's prog, those two were the ones I got into first. Then I got ELP and King Crimson, as you said, because of some sense of obligation to that era. KC and ELP were two more of the "Big 5" prog bands of the time (generally speaking, some would include Jethro Tull as the 5th, while others include Pink Floyd, which is what I would include).

Anyways, ELP never TRULY clicked with me in the same way that Yes and Genesis did. It wasn't because they were a trio whereas Yes and Genesis were fuller 5-piece bands (I mean Rush is a trio and they're my favorite band), nor was it that they didn't have a large enough catalog of 70's albums - they had quite a fair amount of albums in the 70's as well as an amazing live album, which was key for Genesis (Seconds Out) and Yes (Yessongs).

I can't really pinpoint why I never attached to them, but I do enjoy their music. Maybe it was a bit TOO out there for me, with their often bombastic arrangements and sounds, their use of classical motifs and themes, or maybe just their over-all sound. However, because of this thread, I am revisiting ELP with open ears and, perhaps to my surprise, I will find more than I did before. So I am off to listen to their debut, and I shall return with my thoughts...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:25 AM »
Other than Brain Salad Surgery, I always approached ELP's music at a reserve-I appreciated what they did technically, but it rarely moved me emotionally, and I've never been able to figure out why. Maybe I'll figure it out with this thread.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
Other than Brain Salad Surgery, I always approached ELP's music at a reserve-I appreciated what they did technically, but it rarely moved me emotionally, and I've never been able to figure out why. Maybe I'll figure it out with this thread.

Also my feelings - I LOVE BSS, the opening two tracks are great, and the epic "Karn Evil 9" always wow'ed me. Then the live versions on Welcome Back My Friends were even better, and heck, even the whole album is amazing. I do enjoy "Tarkus" every now and then, but BSS is usually the only ELP album I'll listen to, then WBMF... but that's about it.

In contrast, I could put on any Yes or Genesis album at any time and feel great about my choice. I always felt like I needed to force myself to listen to ELP if I wanted to (with the above exceptions).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
Emerson Lake & Palmer were almost doomed to self-destruct from the start, being composed of three raving egomaniacs all trying to show off their awesome chops and various influences as much as possible.  Their catalogue is not extensive, and the fact that they lasted as long as they did is actually quite impressive.

ELP works for me perhaps better than they do for others because of my background.  I stumbled upon these guys just as I was getting more into music and also into playing keyboards in a band, so just hearing what could be done with keyboards was amazing and eye-opening.

I'm waiting with a grin on my face for the commentary on Love Beach. I suspect that's going to be fun.

I only have it on vinyl, and while I do have a working turntable, I'll have to wait until there's no one else home to do my listening sessions, for various reasons.  I've been trying to find a copy online so I can iPod it, but it seems that no one has bothered to (a) buy it on CD and (b) upload it to the net.  I don't really blame them, but it makes things more difficult.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 11:57:40 AM »
Well I am back again, with thoughts on the first album. Over-all, not bad! I think it's as enjoyable as BSS, it's got some of the signature sounds I expect from ELP - there's heavy bombastic sections, lighter parts with just piano or guitar or both, and there's the ballad of "Lucky Man", which is always fun to listen to.

It's a very balanced album, and a bit "out-there" at times, like the middle section of "Take A Pebble" with the country-esque guitar stomp/clap "whoop!" in there, but these were three guys who were doing their best to show off their skills, often together, sometimes apart and over each other, but it's not a terrible debut. One of the better debuts of 70's prog rock kings.

Each song is fairly different enough from each other, but there is a sense of direction, a sound they were going for, despite also sounding a bit experimental and eclectic at times. I think they would take a few more albums to focus a bit more to the point where they get to BSS and find how to do everything right to give themselves the sounds that, I think, they were looking for.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »

ELP works for me perhaps better than they do for others because of my background.  I stumbled upon these guys just as I was getting more into music 

That is similar to me.  I was introduced to them by some friends in the spring/summer of '92 when Black Moon came out. They were going bonkers over their comeback tour, which we all went to that summer, and it was a beast of a show.  I then went out and got Black Moon and the Atlantic Years compilation a short time later (winter of '92/'93-ish).  They were basically the 4th prog-related band I got into a big way (after Floyd, Moody Blues and then Rush), so I think getting into them fairly early in my development as a music fan helped my appreciation for them.  I basically listened to them non-stop for months after getting into them.  And I listened to them so much that I eventually burned out on them, especially since, like you said, they didn't have an extensive catalogue, so I was basically listening to the same 3-4 albums over and over and over and over.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 12:59:34 PM »

I'm waiting with a grin on my face for the commentary on Love Beach. I suspect that's going to be fun.

I only have it on vinyl, and while I do have a working turntable, I'll have to wait until there's no one else home to do my listening sessions, for various reasons.  I've been trying to find a copy online so I can iPod it, but it seems that no one has bothered to (a) buy it on CD and (b) upload it to the net.  I don't really blame them, but it makes things more difficult.

If all else fails, Spotify has it. I did find one working link to it on a DDL file sharing site using the power of Google-fu. But only ONE.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 01:21:14 PM »
Ah, I always forget about Spotify.  Thanks!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
I have Love Beach on CD. lol.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »
I just started working through ELP last year, I noticed it wasn't clicking at all when listening to mp3's, so I bought Tarkus on vinyl first, then Welcome Back... and Pictures. And I feel like I'm only scratching the surface. No real goosebump-moments for me, but awesome music nonetheless. And I love Keith Emerson, and his hammond sound most of all.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »

As do I, as well as 3 and Emerson Lake & Powell...and Black Moon and In The Hot Seat.

I went crazy when I dove head-first into the big 70's prog bands and got nearly each of their studio albums in their respective discographies, which included Yes, Genesis, ELP, Kansas, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd. Didn't really get through Jethro Tull though, and of those bands, only Yes, Genesis, and King Crimson really sold me on their entire discographies - later parts of Kansas and ELP, and early parts of Pink Floyd didn't really stick.

-Marc.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »
The ELP debut is excellent.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »

As do I, as well as 3 and Emerson Lake & Powell...and Black Moon and In The Hot Seat.

I went crazy when I dove head-first into the big 70's prog bands and got nearly each of their studio albums in their respective discographies, which included Yes, Genesis, ELP, Kansas, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd. Didn't really get through Jethro Tull though, and of those bands, only Yes, Genesis, and King Crimson really sold me on their entire discographies - later parts of Kansas and ELP, and early parts of Pink Floyd didn't really stick.

-Marc.

I would've guessed that you'd love old Floyd!

I noticed that all of those bands can't really get me on mp3's or on CD. I love Yes on vinyl, I love Genesis on vinyl. But take away the smell of old bookstores and second hand record shops and there isn't much left for me.
Doesn't matter though, it's just that I have to look a bit better to collect those albums.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »
I would've guessed that you'd love old Floyd!

I *kind* of enjoy Atom Heart Mother and anything after that (from OBC onward, though I don't spin TFC, AMLOR or TDB very much). I'm pretty predictable when it comes to enjoy Pink Floyd's more well-known albums. I couldn't quite get into the psychedelic stuff very much, so I don't really listen to their first four albums anymore.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 03:30:53 PM »
There's no question that this kind of music loses something when it gets compressed to mp3 format.  I don't care what the "experts" say.

I recently got the 5.1 editions of the first two albums, and the second side of Tarkus took me completely by surprise.  Everyone knows the title suite on Side One, and most people pretty much blow off Side Two.  But I listened to it, loud, lossless and in 5.1, and I was blown away.  Maybe it's because I heard a lot of stuff I'd never heard before, and maybe it was the power of a freakin' pipe organ unleashed in my living room, but it grabbed me.  And I realized that I've been listening to mp3's of this album for years, and vinyl before that, but on my ancient little portable stereo.  I'd never really heard it before.

Lossless.  There is a difference.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 04:02:23 PM »
Been looking for an excuse to get into these guys. Will be listening and following.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »
I have no clue why I've never really checked out ELP despite the following:

1) I've actually heard a good bit of their material, never all at once mind you, and enjoyed it everytime.
2) I've always loved Karn Evil 9.
3) Nothing has ever suggested that I wouldn't love them.

I might not be able to keep up with the thread, but I'm going to make an effort.

Also, this thread better contain some Robert Christgau bashing...that's actually one part of ELP's history I am familiar with.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
Great debut album. Don't really care for Lucky Man, but the other songs are great.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
Also, this thread better contain some Robert Christgau bashing...that's actually one part of ELP's history I am familiar with.

The so-called "Dean of American Rock Critics"?  Fuck him.

There, bashed.  Honestly, I had no intention of even mentioning him.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 09:45:11 PM »
Okay.  I found high-bitrate mp3s of Love Beach, Emerson, Lake & Powell, 3 to the Power of Three, and In the Hot Seat.  My "ELP and Related" studio collection is complete.

Apparently "Works Live" is just a re-issue of "The Return of the Manticore", so I've got that covered.  ELP get a bit fragmented and hard to follow towards the end, with all the re-issues and live stuff of dubious authenticity, so I'm just gonna stick with official releases.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »
While we're still on the first album, it needs to be mentioned how innovative and ground-breaking the moog solo at the end of Lucky Man was at the time.  In fact, I remember Robert Moog himself being amazed at what Keith Emerson did with it in that tune.  When the guy who invented an instrument is expressing amazement at what you did with it in a song, well, that's about as high of a compliment as you can receive. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
I didn't realize it was the modular Moog on that solo, until I started doing my research for this discography.  In hindsight, it could not have been anything else, as the MiniMoog did not yet exist, and it was called the MiniMoog because it packed most of the useful modules into a single unit.  I just never thought about it.

I want to play one.