Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 157360 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)
« Reply #2975 on: July 28, 2014, 03:39:44 PM »
When I had Born to Run in my Top 50, I made the comment that Jungleland was epic before the word epic was used to describe songs.  One of my favorite Bruce songs.  Can't think of a single thing that is wrong with it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2976 on: July 28, 2014, 03:46:46 PM »
Nice Springsteen pick!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2977 on: July 28, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »
I came to the thread, saw "Nice Springsteen pick," thought "Must be Jungleland", went back and lo, it was. Then saw Jingle's post naming it  :lol

If I were to make a top 50 list of 1970s songs, Jungleland would come in the top 20. Amazing fucking song.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2978 on: July 29, 2014, 12:05:05 PM »
Billy Joel - Captain Jack

One of his lesser known "hits," this has long been one of of my favorites by Billy Joel.  The lyrics paint a great picture about drug abuse, the laid back nature of the song is wonderful, and I love the way it explodes into the chorus every time, as each time there is a slight embellishment that makes it a tad different from the time before, whether it be a little guitar fill or a brief wordless vocal.  This is just a tremendous song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2979 on: July 29, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »
First song I ever heard on the radio that used the word "masturbate".  Probably the only one, come to think of it (no pun intended!)  And I totally misunderstood that line for a long time.  It was only recently that I finally realized what he meant.  At least I hope that's what he meant.

Your sister's gone out, she's on a date
You just sit at home and masturbate

You sick bastard!  Thinking about your sister getting some action gets you so excited that you whack one off?  Your sister? 

Disgusting.  Billy Joel, I am disappoint.

I'm pretty sure he meant that your sister's getting some, but you are not because you're a druggie loser, therefore you stay home and beat off.  Again, I hope that's what he meant.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2980 on: July 29, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
LOL, I am sure he did.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2981 on: July 29, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »
One of my favorite Billy Joel songs.  Excellent.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2982 on: July 30, 2014, 09:02:42 AM »
Chicago - Questions 67 and 68

I avoided early Chicago's stuff for a long time cause I was advised by several friends that it was too, well, horn-y :lol, but at some point we all came around and checked it out, and I was surprised by how good a lot of those songs were on the first two albums.  This one in particular really stands out.  The driving energy of the main horn section is really cool, and it's almost like the vocals are the means to that end, as the horns really are the lead and the main hook in this song, which is not easy to pull off.  Cool song.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2983 on: July 30, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »
Every single moment of Chicago Transit Authority is completely awesome and this song is no exception. I love the mixture of the big horns and Kath's smoky guitar (even though it's not featured as much in this song). The instrumental section in the middle is awesome driving music at it's finest.

And, what a coincidence. This song came on my music player while I was driving home last night!  :tup
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2984 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:06 AM »
The original concept was to have a band with the horn section as an integral part of the sound, and often the "lead instrument".  Those horn breaks were their chance to show off their chops, just as other bands might have a guitar solo.

Great song.  Their first boss, hit-bound single that never was a boss, hit-bound single.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2985 on: July 30, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »
Great track!  Those first several albums are sheer gold.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2986 on: July 31, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »
Time to dive deep now...

Journey - Look into the Future

Five years ago, if someone had played this song for me without me knowing who it was by, I never would have guessed it was by Journey.  It being a pre-Steve Perry era Journey song, it sounds so different than what they became when Perry joined the band.  I had always heard that those earliest albums had some good stuff on them, and this song is a good example of why some people think that.  Really cool song.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2987 on: July 31, 2014, 08:26:39 AM »
Very nice!  I haven't listened to it in a while, but I remember that being a very cool tune.  That old pre-Perry music is really neat.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2988 on: July 31, 2014, 08:28:41 AM »
My first Journey album (I bought it because I liked the album cover) and the only one I still listen to. I liked the music then but it was a bit too mellow for me but as I aged and my tastes changed it's become a favorite. I really love the interplay of the guitar and keyboards on this song. Rollie and Schon really lay down a nice soft bluesy vibe that is very  :coolio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2989 on: July 31, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »
The first three albums are very different from what Journey would later become, but there's a lot of good music there.  They were still finding their way, still trying to figure out how much jazzy stuff, how much rock, and how much prog (!) was going to go into the mix, and the results are often really interesting.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2990 on: July 31, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
Early Journey was pretty cool, though a bit unfocused as they couldn't figure out, as Orbert at times whether or not they were a prog band, a rock band, or the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and bringing Perry on and going in a more commercial vein was the right choice if you ask me. Part of me wishes they'd gone full on Mahavishnu Orchestra, as their early instrumentals are epic. Look Into The Future is pretty neat, though of their early stuff I like Of A Lifetime better.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2991 on: July 31, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »
Despite having every Journey album from Infinity onwards, and being a Journey fan, I've had little interest in checking out the pre-Perry stuff (I was scared off for life by the dirty P word).

So I just listened to this song for the first time ever. My first impression is that I enjoyed Rollie's vocals more than I do on his later albums, but they're still not strong lead vocals. Musically it was a bit meandering, and not too strong melodically, but Schon's guitar work was great as usual, so the longer instrumental stuff was interesting to hear.

Overall, not too far off what I expected. Didn't love it, didn't dislike it. A decent listen.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2992 on: August 01, 2014, 08:10:41 AM »
The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot

Very cool instrumental.  Lots of neat keyboard sounds and effects, especially in that intro. I really don't have that much else to say about it other than I like it a lot.  :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2993 on: August 01, 2014, 08:13:03 AM »
Cool tune.  For years a sports show locally in Boston used I Robot as the intro.  Coincidentally it was during the Drew Bledsoe era. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2994 on: August 01, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
 :rollin :rollin

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2995 on: August 01, 2014, 08:39:27 AM »
I'm actually not all that familiar with the Allen Parsons Project catalogue, or this song.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2996 on: August 01, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »
I'm actually not all that familiar with the Allen Parsons Project catalogue, or this song.

I've got a couple of their songs, and know they're a band I should investigate more with.  Someday ... after the countless others ahead of it on the list (like Kansas and The Moody Blues).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2997 on: August 03, 2014, 08:38:05 AM »
Jethro Tull - Thick As a Brick

This is a deep cut in the sense that a lot of classic rock fans know the 3-minute edit that was often played on the radio, while not really knowing the whole song, which clocks in at a little over 43 1/2 minutes.  I've given the whole thing a go quite a few times over the years, and while it's a nice, enjoyable listen, I don't quite get the love for it as a whole.  It's good, but not great.  I love the first 10 minutes or so and then I kind of lose interest.  But I'm sure there are fans of it here, so let's hear it. :biggrin:

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2998 on: August 03, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »
Never been a huge fan of the Tull.  I share your opinion of the song.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2999 on: August 03, 2014, 01:20:25 PM »
Local radio played a ten minute edit-which was largely how Thick As A Brick was played live on later shows-for a very long time, which given how local radio is kind of shocks me.  :lol

I like all of it, but there are a lot of sections that kind of drag-the first ten or so minutes of the old side two in particular-but there's some glorious parts and enough recurring themes to make it worthwhile. *pre-emptively shakes fist at Orbert for having it in vinyl with the awesomeness of the cover and the newspaper*

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3000 on: August 03, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »
Hee hee.  It's a thing of beauty.  But you knew that.

Oh yeah, the song is, too.  I probably listen to "Thick as a Brick" a couple of times a year, on average.  I don't know if that's a lot or what.  When I do, I listen to the entire song, because that's how it's meant to be heard.

Kev, since you didn't go into a lot of detail regarding the background of this song, I guess I will, because I think it's important to get it out there (seriously).  Aqualung, probably the band's most well-known album, was not a concept album.  Ian Anderson himself has stated this, and he should know, since he wrote the whole thing.  However, because it was something kinda cool to do, there is one lyrical reference to Aqualung, the person who is the subject of the title track, in the song which follows it, "Cross-Eyed Mary".  Also, he gave the two LP sides "titles".  For no apparent reason, it says "Aqualung" above the track listing for Side One, separate from the title of the album and the title of the first song (which are both "Aqualung") and it says "My God" above the listing for Side Two, again separate from the title of the first song on that side, which is "My God".

This led people to conclude that the album was a concept album, or that at the very least, the songs on each of the two sides went together in some conceptual way.  Side One does contain mostly character studies, and religion does crop up a few times on side two.  But Ian Anderson insists that these are just things that came up in the lyrics because they're what he was writing about at the time, and yeah, it made a certain amount of sense to "group" the songs somehow, but that was it.  There were no underlying concepts anywhere.

But the idea that Aqualung was a concept album caught fire and could not be avoided, and Ian was actually a bit annoyed by it because he thought he'd set the record straight.  He thought concept albums and prog in general often deserved every bit of the scorn and ridicule they received from some critics and non-fans.  It's just rock and roll.  So he basically said "Okay, you want a concept album?  This is a concept album."  And he created Thick as a Brick.  One song, the entire album (both sides of an LP, which was standard album length at the time), recurring musical and lyrical themes, the same musical theme recurring but venturing off into different directions at various times, a ridiculous and out-of-place sudden appearance by a symphony orchestra, and a concept behind the concept, that the lyrics themselves were written by a young poet named Milton Bostock.  Milton had an entire backstory which was fleshed out in a newspaper article in a fictitious newspaper, and the newspaper itself was filled out with other articles, puzzles and games, and other things you might find in a local newspaper, and the newspaper served as the jacket to the album Thick as a Brick.

It was absolutely ludicrous.  Every possible effort was taken to make it completely absurd, completely obvious that this was not serious.  And the people ate it up.  Another concept album!  And this one is incredible!  The music, the package, the concept, everything!

And I think it's brilliant.  Ian Anderson, because he is an immensely talented musician and composer, had "accidentally" created what I really believe is a masterpiece.  I love "Thick as a Brick" and probably listen to it a few times a year, on average.  I don't know if that's a lot or what.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3001 on: August 03, 2014, 11:05:49 PM »
Great post. Thanks for all of that info, Orbert.  I knew some of it, but not all of it. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3002 on: August 04, 2014, 11:44:18 AM »
Heart - Mistral Wind

Ann Wilson's vocal performance in this song is pretty much :hefdaddy :hefdaddy.  I remember when I finally dug into some of Heart's non-hits from the 70s years ago and stumbled across this song; it was like winning the musical lottery!  It might actually be my favorite Heart song now.  It's that freaking good.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3003 on: August 04, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »
Great song!  Someone here on DTF recommended this one a while back, and while I've had Dog and Butterfly for years, I never really listened to it that closely.  Mostly I'd put it on, let it play while I do something, and put something else on when it's done.  It's Heart, it's good stuff, but that's no way to learn the songs.  So anyway, upon recommendation, I listened to "Mistral Wind" and immediately added it to my playlist.  Killer song.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3004 on: August 04, 2014, 12:20:02 PM »
Ann can wail on this one. Another killer Heart song

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3005 on: August 04, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
Heart can almost do no wrong, and this tune is fantastic.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3006 on: August 04, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »
Heart can almost do no wrong, and this tune is fantastic.

Amen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3007 on: August 05, 2014, 06:28:39 AM »
I couldn't remember that song so I had to YT it. Pretty cool song! Like you said, Ann really brings it. I thought I owned Dog and Butterfly, but other than the title song, I don't recognize a single song on this record.

I think I'll buy it!  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3008 on: August 05, 2014, 07:51:06 AM »
The Moody Blues - Legend of a Mind

This has long been my favorite Moody Blues song.  It was my favorite when I first got into the band in 1990, and not only is it still my favorite Moodies song, it is one of my favorite songs by anyone.  It is great in every way imaginable, and I actually prefer the remix on the This Is The Moody Blues compilation to the studio original.  Both are fantastic, and the mixes are pretty similar, but the remix makes it sound fuller in the areas where they kind of went overboard with the left and right channel stuff on the original; it just sounds a little better.  Regardless, this is a killer tune, with the greatest flute solo I've ever heard.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3009 on: August 05, 2014, 08:30:12 AM »
Not a fan.