Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 157361 times)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2013, 01:49:45 AM »
I've listened to a lot of classic rock radio but I had never heard that Head East song in my life. Not a bad track, I suppose.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2013, 05:39:24 AM »
I've listened to a lot of classic rock radio but I had never heard that Head East song in my life. Not a bad track, I suppose.

This.  Never have I heard this song in my life.  Guess it never cracked the Canadian (or at least Toronto) airwaves.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2013, 05:59:34 AM »

Never heard it either. Granted, I am a much younger guy, but I have heard a lot of classic rock radio since I was a kid, and I'm into that kind of music.
Didn't think much of it. Not bad, but nothing special.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2013, 07:23:41 AM »
Never heard it either. Decent song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »
Maybe it was just a regional hit.  I heard it all the time.  Everyone knew the song was not called "Save My Life, I'm Goin' Down for the Last Time" but no one could remember the real name.  It took a while.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »
It's been a classic rock radio staple down here forever.  Actually had some crossover appeal with the local hard rock station, as well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
At a guess, it was a regional hit. I'd heard it enough to recognize it when I listened to it, but it wasn't a song that got a lot of airplay around these parts. Back in the 1970s it was entirely possible for a band to sell out a 12,000 seat arena in St. Louis and be completely unknown on either coast, which was kind of cool-you could adopt bands as ones you made famous that way.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »
Eric Clapton - Let It Rain

I am not a big fan of Clapton's, especially of his solo work, but he does have a handful or so of songs I like a lot; Let It Rain is one of them.  I always thought it was a killer tune, but it never seemed to get played as much as certain other Clapton classics.  But it is certainly a "classic" classic rock tune.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »

I am not a big fan of Clapton's, especially of his solo work, but he does have a handful or so of songs I like a lot; Let It Rain is one of them.  I always thought it was a killer tune, but it never seemed to get played as much as certain other Clapton classics.  But it is certainly a "classic" classic rock tune.
Awesome song.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2013, 08:54:23 AM »
Great song, but not one of my favorite Clapton tracks. Around here, the Clapton song that got the most airplay was the live version of Cocaine, so I tended to have a sense of relief when any OTHER Clapton song got played, because frankly I loathed Cocaine.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »

Yeah, don't especially like Clapton, but this song is awesome.  Either didn't know, or forgot, he did this one.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »
I am not sure what is more shocking, that a lot of people here have never heard 'Never Been Any Reason' or that all the vocals are done by guys.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jaq

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
Yeah, if I was in Head East, I'm not sure if I had wanted a selling point for that song to be "all the vocals are by guys!" myself.  :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »

Same here.  Clapton's got some good songs, solo and with Derek and the Dominos and Cream and whoever else, but I've never been inspired to get a single album of his.  But this is a good song.  I always loved how the piano lines kinda sound like rain falling, which I'm assuming was the idea.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
It's been a classic rock radio staple down here forever.  Actually had some crossover appeal with the local hard rock station, as well.

Yeah, I heard it on the radio in Houston and Austin quite often over the years.

Like Cocaine (which I can't stand either), Let It Rain was WAY overplayed.  A more obvious choice would've been Layla, but that wasn't just Eric Clapton.

Speaking of, my uncle named my cousin after Mister Clapton.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2013, 12:05:19 PM »
Great song, but not one of my favorite Clapton tracks. Around here, the Clapton song that got the most airplay was the live version of Cocaine, so I tended to have a sense of relief when any OTHER Clapton song got played, because frankly I loathed Cocaine.

That live version was played non-stop around here, too.  Ick.

A more obvious choice would've been Layla, but that wasn't just Eric Clapton.

I'll get to that one eventually.  There are a lot of classic rock artists with many good songs worth featuring, and doing the best/most popular ones for all of them right off the bat would be boring, no? :)

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
I'll get to that one eventually.  There are a lot of classic rock artists with many good songs worth featuring, and doing the best/most popular ones for all of them right off the bat would be boring, no? :)

Yeah, that's a good point.  I was just listing personal preference, as per what I sometimes do. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride

A knew a guy a long time ago who refused to ever listen to this song in his car cause he knew a guy who said he had two different friends who died in car accidents when listening to this song on the radio.  Not sure how he knew that (unless the survivors in the car told him that, but why would that be worth mentioning?), but whatever.  Just an odd little tidbit about that song.  Anyway, it's a good song for sure, but the end of the song kind of showed how clueless some 60s acts were at ending songs.  After the long instrumental section, it finally breaks back into the chorus, and then the song suddenly fades out right in the middle of it. I guess they had no clue how to end the song, so they just opted for the fade mid-chorus.  Bizarre and quite jarring.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »
Decent tune.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »
Decent tune.

Yeah, this. :tup

But I give it bonus points because it was used in Star Trek: First Contact. :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »
Good song, reminds me of Austin Powers  :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2013, 10:20:55 AM »
Classic rock radio has an odd effect in that it makes some bands appear to have far shorter careers than they actually did. A casual listener to classic rock radio could conclude that the entirety of Steppenwolf's career was this song and Born to Be Wild, likely as a single. While, admittedly, those WERE the highlights, it is kind of funny that bands that had careers with full albums are sometimes reduced to a song. Guess Steppenwolf is lucky, since they have TWO they're known for  :lol

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »
Good song, never understood the fadeout though.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2013, 07:25:49 PM »
Awesome song. I like it better than their other big hit. The fadeout is weird though.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2013, 10:03:59 PM »
Yep, I totally agree about the ending.  I always wondered if it's that way on the album, and what we hear on the radio is some bastardized single edit.  Probably not, though.  If there were a longer version, it seems like it would've seen the light by now.  So KevShmev is right; they just didn't know how to end it.  Heck, it could've just gone on into the spacy "magic carpet ride" section and faded out from there, but I guess someone thought that it should at least return to the chorus for some kind of closure.  Then the fade out anyway.

Oh well, good song anyway.  I like singing along with it and trying to remember when you say "well" and when you don't.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2013, 03:47:50 AM »
Never got the fuss for Magic Carpet Ride.  It just never clicked with me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2013, 03:50:02 AM »
Head East - Never Been Any Reason

Anyone who has listened to classic rock radio has to know this song.  It is, or at least it was for a long time, a classic rock staple.  Helluva fun tune, with some great harmonies and one of the more memorably choruses from the mid 70s.  When I was first getting into classic rock, this song was one I heard all of the time and always loved.

I finally got to listen to this and I remember this big time!!  A definite radio song here and a very good tune!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2013, 03:54:48 AM »
Never got the fuss for Magic Carpet Ride.  It just never clicked with me.
This.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »
Tarney-Spencer Band - No Time to Lose

Kind of an under-the-radar classic, but still a damn good one.  This song was played a lot on the classic rock radio stations here in St. Louis back in the day, but I have no idea if it was played elsewhere a lot.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2013, 09:46:51 AM »
One that actually got airplay here, though it wasn't a particular favorite of mine.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2013, 05:18:22 PM »
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride

Good enough song, but I liked The Pusher a LOT better.  Plus, The Pusher was in Easy Rider. :hat

Tarney-Spencer Band - No Time to Lose

I don't think I ever heard this one at all.  Guess it wasn't played in either Houston or Austin.  Not bad, sounds like a lot of the generic rock stuff that was popular at that time.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »
Never heard of this one. Not bad, but not that good either.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »
Never heard this one - song or band.  Must've been another regional hit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2013, 07:05:02 AM »
Never heard this one - song or band.  Must've been another regional hit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2013, 08:16:15 AM »
The Doors - Love Her Madly

I remember the first time I heard this song.  I cut grass with my cousin Tim in the summers of '89 and '90, and he was a major classic rock guy (he's like 13 years older than me), so he was always cranking classic rock when we were driving from yard to yard, and I was introduced to a lot of classic rock that way.  Love Her Madly was a song that really jumped out at me the first time I heard it, like, "Wow, what a great song."  I think that song was a major reason why the Best of The Doors double CD compilation was one of my earliest purchases when I got my first CD player in the latter half of 1990. :hat