Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 158456 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:04:07 PM »
This will be similar to the 80s thread, in that there will be days I feature more than one song, especially since there are probably thousands of songs that are worth featuring in this thread.  This thread could potentially go on for a long time. :lol  As for what constitutes classic rock, pretty much any rock song from the 70s qualifies, and there are plenty of songs from the mid to late 60s, as well as the early 80s, that apply.  Anyway, away we go!

Eagles - Hotel California

Easily one of the most popular classic rock songs of the 70s, I have heard this song many, many times, yet it still sounds awesome every time I hear it.  The lyrics are very cool, it is a very easy to sing along to, it rocks and the guitar solo that closes the song is both epic and iconic.  This has become one of those songs many love to call overrated, but when judging the song on merit alone, in other words leaving how much people like it or whatever out of the equation, this is by and large a tremendous song.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:41:03 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Man-Erg

Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »
Meh.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 02:23:48 PM »
Definitely one of the best of all time, but as an unintended consequence, it's been over-played which produces diminishing returns of enjoyability.  There are lots of other Eagles songs I prefer, but it is indeed a Top 10 classic rock song of all time in my books.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 02:32:45 PM »
Great song, one of the Eagles' best.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 02:34:55 PM »
Lol Hotel California

That's how I met my ex... First day of high school... last class... teacher is playing music in classroom. Hotel Cali comes on. Her and I randomly discuss it.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »
Many references to Anton Levay's Satanic Bible in that song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »
I like the concept, and I liked the song the first couple of times I heard it, but the massive overplaying of this song on the radio has pretty much ruined it for me.  Eagles had lots of great songs, many of them better than this.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »
I was really scared of this song when I was 13 for some reason.

Also, following the thread like mad.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »
Not even the best song on that album IMO-that honor goes to The Last Resort, which is one of my favorite songs from the 70s period-but it's a classic, with one of the definitive guitar breaks in the history of rock and roll. It's overplayed for a reason: perhaps only Stairway to Heaven is a more quintessential 70s rock song. I do remember, back in the day, when MTV started playing the live version of this song, being a little shocked because, hearing the song on the radio, I had assumed the order of the solos was Walsh then Felder, so for years I'd had it backwards.  :lol

While the 80s thread will feature more epic stories from me, this one will feature a lot of love for the actual SONGS. I think 1976 was the best year in the history of rock and roll, so I'm custom built for a classic rock thread.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
I was really scared of this song when I was 13 for some reason.

Also, following the thread like mad.

OMG, it was the same for me when I was 16!  :omg:

Now I love it, listening to the wornderful outro at dawn is one of the things to do before you die.  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
I think 1976 was the best year in the history of rock and roll, so I'm custom built for a classic rock thread.

You are correct.  1976 was the best year in the history of rock and roll.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 04:15:22 PM »
Not a huge fan of Hotel California. I have a very hard time enjoying it, maybe because it's been so ingrained in my head from childhood that I can't have a fresh listen to it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline masterthes

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »
Favorite Eagles song, bar none

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
Love the song. Love the album. Love the solos.
Great start to the op.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »
I hope this thread has a fair amount of 60s songs in it, since that time period is rarely discussed on this forum.

As for Hotel California, it's pretty good.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 07:19:32 PM »
Don't own any Eagles but this song is pretty good.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 02:24:43 AM »
Great song, and an example of a classic rock song that's been played to death but not to the point where I can't hear it without cringing. I'm a moderate Eagles fan and this is among their very best.

Oh, and that guitar outro gives me chills each time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 09:06:20 AM »
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty

I don't know about the rest of you, but it is impossible for me to hear this song without thinking of Forrest Gump.  Granted, this was already a very popular classic rock tune for years, but the way it was featured in the movie just made it an easy association.  Helluva good tune, either way.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:34 AM »
Following. So far,meh.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »
Hotel California is amazing.  Love that song and the acoustic version on Hell Frezze's Over is mindblowing.

Running On Empty.  Seen Jackson play this live many times and I just love that slide solo.  Great tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 09:20:01 AM »
Both are good songs.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 10:02:41 AM »
Going with the truly classic classic rock songs, I see. Always liked the concept of this album-an album of songs recorded more or less live (some in front of audiences, some in places like hotel rooms and tour buses) about playing live. Hmm. Wonder how many people know that's the concept of the album today.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »
Going with the truly classic classic rock songs, I see. 

Don't worry, I will be featuring plenty of less-obvious classic rock tunes, but I thought it was better to start off with a few that most are gonna know.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:49 AM »
Yeah exactly, or people would complain the opposite point.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Running on Empty -- the song and the album -- came out when I was in high school, so I knew them both pretty well.  Years later, I'd moved to Columbia, Maryland to work a gig in Silver Spring, just outside of D.C.  The local venue was Merriweather Post Pavillion, where I saw Ringo Starr, Todd Rundgren, Joe Walsh, and others.  It was also during this time that "Classic Rock" radio stations started to appear, and one day the DJ played this song and said "recorded right here at Merriweather Post Pavillion, this is Jackson Browne's Running on Empty".  Cool!  I'd unknowingly moved to the very town where an album I'd been listening to for years was recorded.  I pulled out the record and looked on the back.  Yep.  Merriweather Post Pavillion.  I've been there. 

It was an open air place, with lawn seating, etc.  One time we stopped at the bank across the street to use the ATM and I could hear Rush doing their soundcheck.  "Limelight".  It was cool.

tl;dr version:  Good song  :tup

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »
That's a good song. I always remember hearing it on the radio as a kid, mind you, in the late 90s. I like the album along with The Pretender (fun fact, Toto's Jeff Porcaro plays drums on that album).
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 10:52:13 AM »
Read the song title, Running on Empty, and the chorus immediately jumped into my head and won't leave. True sign of a classic.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »
Both great songs.  My favorite Eagles cd is 'On the Border'.  So much variety on the cd. 

Jackson Browne was great in concert and so were the Eagles in the late 70's and the Hell Freezers over tour in the early 90's.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
Neil Young -  Hey Hey, My My

I'm admittedly not much of a Neil Young fan, and I DESPISE the original version of this song on Rust Never Sleeps, mainly because the heavy tone he uses in it is god-awful.  However, I saw a different live version on VH1 Classic recently and it sounded much better.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SdikywAcaM 

Sidenote, I've always preferred the acoustic My My, Hey Hey version, and that is one of the few Young songs I'd say I like a lot.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:35 PM »
I agree Kev, I don't like the heavier version of this song either

Offline Jaq

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »
Never have been a particularly big fan of Neal Young, though I did like how effortlessly he could transition from acoustic based music to electric guitar heavy rock without missing a beat in either direction. That's a delicate balancing act, and not a lot of people do it as well as Neal Young does.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »
I can't stand Neil Young... and I'm Canadian!  Not a single redeeming song in his catalogue as far as I'm concerned.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »
Hotel California - first guitar solo I ever learned how to play.

Hey Hey My My - one of the first songs I ever learned to play on guitar.

Two songs I still dig to this day.  :tup

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »
Hadn't heard Hey Hey My My in a couple years... one of those songs I knew but had no idea who it was. It came on the radio a couple weeks ago... It made me :metal

but not as hard
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
In the original recording, the heavy version on Rust Never Sleeps, he'd blown the speakers on his amp.  But it is also the most intense distortion possible, as the speakers are literally blown, and he went with it, because Rock and Roll!  :metal

It's not my favorite Neil Young song, but I like it enough, and that guitar sound is awesome.  But I can see why some people wouldn't like it.