Author Topic: The Zakk Wylde / Black Label Society Thread  (Read 3553 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
The Zakk Wylde / Black Label Society Thread
« on: January 17, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »
So there are 2 of my fav bands that I am surprised don't have threads (that I know of).... And BLS is one of them. I Zakk has to be one of my top 3 guitarists (along with JP and Gilmour)...

Zakk and the boys will be playing a special semi acoustic show in March in Los Angeles being filmed for a live album / DVD AND GUESS WHO HAS TICKETS??!?!?! :metal

https://www.bravewords.com/news/196831

Discuss and appreciate all things Zakk Wylde!

S.D.M.F

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Zakk Wylde / Black Label Society Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
I love order of the black. Its brutal.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
love BLS, but not a big fan of his Ozzy stuff...his style is easily recognizable though

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 02:08:52 PM »
I like the song Stillborn
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »
I think I have every studio release from BLS, really amazing band.  Mafia is their best IMO closely followed by the amazing Stronger Than Death.

Really consistent in their relases too, although the last couple have been a little weaker than the earlier stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 02:11:38 PM »
I'm actually a big fan of Wylde, but the only work of his that I really love and feel any connection to is one that most fans seem to abhor (at least the ones I know, I've never spoken about it on any forum); Book of Shadows. It's obviously a far cry away from his usual stuff, and I do enjoy some songs by BLS, but for the most part I've gotten tired of the his metal stuff. But BoS is pretty emotional yet still retains some very good riffs and lines from his guitar-side. But the lyrics, vibe, and all around feel of the album was (back when I first heard it, just getting out of my Metallica/Pantera/Ozzy phase) something totally different and an album I did not expect from Wylde. I still really enjoy it but other than that album, I don't keep up or listen to most of the hard rock/metal classics anymore; aside from some nostalgic kicks here 'n there. Still, talented guitarist, one of the first guys that got me into the metal scene and one I still respect...which is rare.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »
I've always meant to check out BOS.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
I think I have every studio release from BLS, really amazing band.  Mafia is their best IMO closely followed by the amazing Stronger Than Death.

Really consistent in their relases too, although the last couple have been a little weaker than the earlier stuff.

Blessed Hellride is my favourite album. Followed closely by Mafia. It got cheesier when Zakk got sober :lol

First time I saw BLS was 4 days after my dad died. The moment I found out he died, I put on Blessed Hellride (the song). It just felt right. I felt an immediate connection to him through that song. Then a couple days later, My buddy and I went to a BLS show. He cried for me when Zakk played In This River. I held it together until the encore. They encored with Blessed Hellride. I lost it.

I've always meant to check out BOS.
oh and Book of Shadows can hold its own against or beat any BLS album IMO 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 02:17:31 PM »
Will check it out then.

Blessed Hellride would be third in line after Mafia and STD, great album.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 11:21:37 PM »
Mafia is the best them. :2metal:  Blessed Hellride is really good, I should give that another spin one of these days.

No mentions of the more acoustic-y type stuff yet?  I totally dug Pride and Glory, Book of Shadows and Hangover Music.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »
Mafia is the best them. :2metal:  Blessed Hellride is really good, I should give that another spin one of these days.

No mentions of the more acoustic-y type stuff yet?  I totally dug Pride and Glory, Book of Shadows and Hangover Music.

P&G is a-fucking-mazing

And as I stated... book of Shadows is beautiful. Probably a top 10 album for me :D

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 11:34:45 PM »
I'm seeing now that you did mention BoS... derp... :lolpalm:

I've been needing to procure Pride and Glory for eons.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
Tomorrow is the day... UNBLACKENED!!! :metal :metal

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
Book of Shadows is one of my favorite albums of all time  After that I could not wait to get ahold of the Black Label Society debut.  I was shocked with what I heard.  Quite frankly I thought it sucked.

A while later I won the Eternal 1919 album in a contest so i listened to that and there is a song or two that is bearable but yeah, can stand Black Label Society or Zakk Wylde's shitty attitude.  So yeah, 1996 was the last year that Zakk had any credibility in my book. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 09:12:04 PM »
Tomorrow is the day... UNBLACKENED!!! :metal :metal

What is this??

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »
A one off unplugged show in LA w/ a string section and special guests ... being filmed for DVD. BLS, Pride & Glory and Book of Shadows are all going to represented.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 03:09:36 AM »
That sounds pretty interesting.  Will have to check it out.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 11:44:32 AM »
okay so it wasn't unplugged... it was... well... unblackened. The set was full of the less heavy BLS songs... plus Book Of Shadows and Pride and Glory..

The show was as soft as Zakk could get w/out going completely unplugged, and of course Zakk still played some crazy ass face melting solos. Also...Sherinian was there on keys to add to the epicness. I loved the fact that whenever Zakk would go into one of his acoustic shred masterbation sessions (Takillya and Speedball I do believe), Derek would be matching him note for note on the piano. I am kinda bummed though because I thought the show was billed to have a string section, and to have "Special Guests."  Well I guess those were both Derek. (And BLS's usual doom crew member on stage doing various backing vocals)

Losin' Your Mind
(Pride & Glory cover)

The Blessed Hellride

Sold My Soul
(Zakk Wylde song)

Road Back Home
(Zakk Wylde song)

Spoke in the Wheel

House of Doom

Queen Of Sorrow

Machine Gun Man
(Pride & Glory cover)

Sweet Jesus
(Pride & Glory cover)

In This River

Throwin' It All Away
(Zakk Wylde song)

Takillya (Estyabon)

Won't Find It Here

Rust

Speedball

I Thank You Child
(Zakk Wylde song)

Stillborn

Oh yea and if y'all didn't read my thread on it... We met Sherinian! He was giving my bud and I shit (jokingly) for wearing Dream Theater shirts at a BLS show.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »
Sweet!!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 02:30:59 PM »
I am sure you guys have heard by now but Zakk is working on Book of Shadows 2.  Anyone love the original as much as I do?

https://loudwire.com/zakk-wylde-book-of-shadows-ii-2016/

I wouldn't mind him doing another CD in the vein of Pride and Glory also.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »
To be honest I have never really checked out that album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »

To be honest, I have never checked out BLS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »

I got it when it 1st came out.  I think they may have released a newer more deluxe edition with extra tracks?

I loved it.  If you are use to Black Label Society ....this is easy listening compared to that but the songs are great.  I highly recommend checking it out to see if it is for you

It has songs more in this vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmpG4WT2Vic

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 02:37:10 PM »
Good band, but an acquired taste.  Stronger Than Death and Mafia are my favs.  The latest one wasn't bad either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 02:37:54 PM »

I got it when it 1st came out.  I think they may have released a newer more deluxe edition with extra tracks?

I loved it.  If you are use to Black Label Society ....this is easy listening compared to that but the songs are great.  I highly recommend checking it out to see if it is for you

I'll try and find time to have a listen, but I like my Zakk Wylde heavy.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »

I'll try and find time to have a listen, but I like my Zakk Wylde heavy.

Book of Shadows seems to be almost universally appreciated as one of , if not his best, works.  For me.............I found it patchy and mostly underwhelming.  I expect you may feel the same Kade.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »
Yeah man, that's what I'm guessing too.  I just don't see how Zakk in acoustic form could really get me excited.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 12:53:43 AM »
Book of Shadows is a nice addition to Zakk's work, showing a different side but it's nowhere near his best records. And I'm really not that excited about part 2. Zakk's much better when he's full out rocking.

For me his best work was Pride & Glory.

BLS has some good records (Mafia, Shot To Hell, Blessed Hellride are my favorites) but sometimes Zakk's singing style gets on my nerves.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 01:11:25 AM »
Book of Shadows is my favourite Zakk Wylde album..

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 02:43:03 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuA18YpjOD8

Not bad.  I was a huge fan of Book of Shadows back in the day so I am glad part 2 is coming out.  Now how about bringing back Pride and Glory next?

What do you guys think of the song?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »
Ukulele cover of Suicide Messiah (with extras)

So fucking great. Watch all the way through till the end.

https://youtu.be/pBrJ80ZVH7A

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 10:22:47 AM »
I went as someone's date to a BLS bro rock concert last year and some bro rocker said the most hilarious thing to me about bro rock...
We're waiting for BLS to go on, and this bro rocker starts chatting me up, and I tell him how I've never seen BLS's brand of bro rock live before. You would think he'd assume I'm a fan of BLS style bro rock since I'm, you know, there and all, but he says he ain't sure if I will like them...
He essentially calls BLS a "musician's band", and basically says that I might not be able to dig on such bro rock technicality if I haven't been playing bro rock style guitar for 18 years like this bro rocker has...
So if you're gonna crank some BLS, you better damn near be a virtuoso.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:40 PM »
Bro Rock?

dafuq is that? lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"