Author Topic: Why DTF?  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Why DTF?
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »
Well, I've been here for almost 5 years now (and that's fucking terrifying to think about), 2 album release cycles, and I see no reason to go elsewhere. After the Megadeth forum became kind of lame, I forged my new home here. No other community is as welcoming and readily integrating as this one, I think.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »
I've been here almost 2 and a half years now. Shieeeet.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »
This is the only online music community that I've run across that is based on sharing love for awesome things rather than individuals proving they're right about something and how superior their taste is or whatever. Really.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 07:30:33 PM »
Well not anymore anyway.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 08:49:06 PM »
This is the only online music community that I've run across that is based on sharing love for awesome things rather than individuals proving they're right about something and how superior their taste is or whatever. Really.
Hi there progarchives.

As with any prog community, I'm here for the babes.
Errrrrr...
I also love DTF. Also, if I remember correctly, wasn't Lolzeez first post a picture?
Nope. It was the ADTOE vs I&W thread.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 08:54:37 PM »
I was actually just trying to make a joke about you posting pictures from your dumping ground. I dunno, maybe you did get it, and it just wasn't funny  :blush
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »
I was actually just trying to make a joke about you posting pictures from your dumping ground. I dunno, maybe you did get it, and it just wasn't funny  :blush
Sent from the bathroom.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »
It's a great community where the people are nice to talk to.

MP's forum is too biased to have a normal conversation with and I haven't checked out 5/8 yet, so this is perfect
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 10:01:38 PM »
I first joined the old dt.net in 2002 (eeek!), at the height of my obsession with DT.    There was a time when I posted on about 10 message boards, and now I can honestly say that I only post at just this one.  And while I still love DT's old stuff, and I still rank them as one of my favorite bands ever, what keeps me coming back is all you fine folks.  I met some of my closest friends as a result of this community.  A few other people have mentioned it, but this really is a group of genuinely nice, caring people, and for the most part there isn't too much trolling or internet pissing contests.

I love you guys.   :heart
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »
I'm here because there's a bunch of nice, reasonable people on the other side that I feel comfortable sharing my ideas and experiences with. There's no meanspiritedness here, unlike most other places.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »
Sweet!!!! Another "I love DTF" circle jerk thread!!!! *drops trouser*

Back in the pile!

(How did I know that Lonestar would post this  :biggrin:)
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »

Back in the pile!

(How did I know that Lonestar would post this  :biggrin:)

::)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2013, 12:26:10 AM »
I've been on many band forums, but this is the biggest one, yet there's more of a community feel than anywhere else. Some forums have certain quiet periods when not much is going on, but here there are so many people and they have such diverse musical tastes that it's easy to have a great in-depth discussion on many of your favorite bands. I also love the hilarious inside jokes and other funny stuff that would make people outside this place go like "WTF?" :lol

So yeah, this is the best forum I've ever been a member of (although this is the worst username I've ever had)! :tup

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2013, 01:31:47 AM »
While  I could have done without that last sentence, I thank you.

I must say, I haven't laughed so much on a forum as on this one, also, the diversity over here rules.   :tup
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2013, 03:37:15 AM »
Agreed, this is an awesome community. I love y'all. :heart
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2013, 07:08:51 AM »

How 'bout a reach-around pal?  :eyebrows:

:fullhomo:

:lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 07:20:24 AM »
I'm still here because this is a really welcoming community and everyone is really diverse, yet we all kinda stick together. I love you all, even if most of you ignore the art thread.................. :| ... :heart

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 07:31:53 AM »
I haven't been on that many discussion boards but I can honestly say that this is by far my favourite. It's the only forum I visit nowadays. I have been here since around 2008 and I've seen quite a lot of epic, heart-warming, hilarious, sad, tragic, and glorious stuff here during this time. I've discovered a lot of new music thanks to you guys, and gained some new friends as well. I can't picture a better community of people with such different personalities, nationalities, ages etc who have one thing in common - the love for this band called Dream Theater.

tl:dr - Me touch? :zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 08:05:53 AM »
Okay seriously this time, my reasons are pretty much the same as everyone else's.  We have a diverse group with diverse tastes in music, but we all manage to be civil to each other and learn from each other.

It doesn't bother me at all that this place is mostly guys.  I'm a programmer and work in an IT group that's all guys.  The support team is all guys.  My boss and all the managers are guys.  There are two females in the entire building who I interact with on a regular basis, so the percentage of females here at DTF is still higher than in my workplace and most of my daily life.  So now that I think about it, I really am here for the babes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2013, 08:10:19 AM »
I stay here for the people, simple as that. Out of all of the forums I've been to over the years, I've never come across one where I've felt so comfortable and friendly with so many people. Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name. I barely look in the GMD section, I don't particularly enjoy DT side, but GD is a lot of fun because the people are great.

DTF, you are and shall always be.......... my friends.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 08:14:14 AM »
I came for teh boobs, I stayed for teh penizes.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »
I stay here for the people, simple as that. Out of all of the forums I've been to over the years, I've never come across one where I've felt so comfortable and friendly with so many people. Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name. I barely look in the GMD section, I don't particularly enjoy DT side, but GD is a lot of fun because the people are great.

LLAP \\//
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 08:43:36 AM »
Fewer assholes than 5/8.
Stricter rules, too.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 08:44:31 AM »

LLAP \\//

I'll save you for my next pon farr. \\//
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
I know many of you aren't very familiar with me because I don't get a chance to post all the time. In fact, a lot of you probably think I've only been around a little while due to my under-1000 post count.

I really enjoy this community. Some of you guys may remember when I posted asking for help due to severe depression about 3 years ago.

There were some very helpful and comforting posts that truly made my life better.

I'm now doing great, just about to finish college, and my 2 year anniversary with my boyfriend is in February  :)

"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »
Hey, haven't seen you post in the last 6 months or so...I was still living in Virginia.

While I'm working on it, this still isn't the internet forum I've met the most people from - that would be the hot pepper forum I used to go to.  I met almost 100 people from that forum, but it's pretty easy to do when you all go to the same trade show.  Still, you guys should make it more of a point to visit me...I've only met about 20-25 of you in person.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
MP's forum is too dead to have a normal conversation with

FTFY

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2013, 03:47:38 PM »
I started out on DT.net and lurked for years and years, wanting only information and started posting literally days before 'the breakdown' and change. Other than one manga/anime forum that I still frequent, I haven't been involved in any forum other than this one on a level where I feel engaged and apart of the community. I was a mod on the manga/anime forum for a long time (I'm sure some here will find that absolutely unbelievable) before I was active on this forum, and in my downtime from having hardly any internet activity for a while, I found DT, then DT.net, and then actually wanted to start discussing. The rest is history. I doubt I will ever find another forum that I am this active on ever again; nor will I find one with this much cohesion and togetherness. It's a great place; an oasis in a desert of SHIT.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2013, 06:16:21 AM »
I have at least twice stated WHY I am on this forum and it's still a pleasure....

..... BUT this time I wanted to tell you that when I was opening my account here, I had a slight fear I would find a forum full of fanboys and -girls who would defend DT to the last drop of blood and would never allow any critique and different point of view regarding all aspects of DT history. Now I must say this has turned out better than expected and I'm pleased with the discussions I've had with you. You're great  :heart

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »
I'm actually pinching a loaf right now

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »

Yep, that's fresh

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »

Yep, that's fresh

Epic post for #4000 - a steamy loaf.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2013, 03:55:33 PM »

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »
Why Dream Theater Forums? I don't know, but I'm sure glad I joined. I've discovered so many awesome bands since I've joined and interacted with some awesome people.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!