Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 191585 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1260 on: August 21, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »
Only 69% here in Phx.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1261 on: August 21, 2017, 11:53:19 AM »
Had zero desire to deal with the traffic, saw a video of miles and miles of standstill, so I cancelled my plans. Got about 75% here. I'll plan better for 2024 when it goes through Texas.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: August 21, 2017, 12:23:40 PM »
Was around 90+ here in the PNW. Was as about underwhelmed going in to this as Nick Saban, but got my special glasses and was checkign it out periodically throughout the morning. Pretty amazing site. But as I hate driving and traffic, I can't really imagine driving more than 10 minutes to check it out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1263 on: August 21, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
We got to see totality and it was pretty awesome! I wish I had brought a better camera to have captured what it looked like but I got to see about a minute and a half of totality and it was incredible.

And I am so thankful to have gotten to experience it with my kiddos.....they were pumped big time and loved it!

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1264 on: August 21, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
The amount of people I just saw outside staring at the sun with no eye protection truly baffles me. I must have heard at least 100 times over the last week to not look at it without the special glasses.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:53:14 PM by Chino »

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1265 on: August 21, 2017, 02:02:25 PM »
About 98% where I live north of Atlanta.  Not as dark as I thought it might be. 

And at the peak I hear a hissing sound as my 18 year old was lighting bottle rockets.... :facepalm:
Celestial event of the decade and he is channeling his inner redneck....
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: August 21, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »
Made the trip to Carbondale and took mostly farm roads. Not much traffic. The eclipse was unreal. Words and pictures simply cannot do it justice.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1267 on: August 21, 2017, 03:09:19 PM »
Best shot I've seen so far...a NASA photographer captured the ISS in transit across the sun during the eclipse...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: August 21, 2017, 04:13:36 PM »
The amount of people I just saw outside staring at the sun with no eye protection truly baffles me. I must have heard at least 100 times over the last week to not look at it without the special glasses.

I was listening to Howard Stern this morning talk about how he should have invested in walking canes for all the future blind people after today  :lol However, from my understanding (and I could be wrong) , it's actually OK to look at quickly, it's staring at it that will do damage because people are more likely to stare at the sun today vs. any other day so that is why they just say not to look at it all or use the glasses.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1269 on: August 21, 2017, 05:04:41 PM »
The amount of people I just saw outside staring at the sun with no eye protection truly baffles me.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1270 on: August 21, 2017, 06:36:16 PM »
^ that! Lol!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1271 on: August 21, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
Very cool stuff today.  The boss ordered pizzas for us today so no one had the leave office at work, and then almost all of us went outside with glasses (that one of the ladies bought for us to wear) on and watched it.  Looking up at the sky during the moment of totality was pretty bad ass.  :coolio

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: August 21, 2017, 08:15:02 PM »
Awesome view today. Spent it at the beach, my brother had some extra glasses which made it a lot more enjoyable.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1273 on: August 21, 2017, 10:30:27 PM »
After seeing it in person I can understand why our ancient elders freaked the fuck out when these things happened. That never made much sense to me. I always figured it was just one or two minutes of unexpected darkness. You'd say "huh, that's peculiar" and then get back to your farming and cholera. It's far more dramatic than I was expecting. At 99% it's still the freaking sun and you still can't look at it, so it hits very suddenly without warning. Then you look up and there's a God damned hole in the sky. It's like somebody pulled the drain plug and the galaxy is pouring away. If you're just some serf tilling the fields, that's the end of the freaking universe and a pretty fine time to go on a kill-crazy rampage. Cracking heads and feasting on the goo inside. I'd be curious to know just how many people have up and dropped dead after being caught by one unaware. I can certainly see how many people have, now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1274 on: August 22, 2017, 05:42:07 AM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1275 on: August 22, 2017, 05:44:25 AM »

Wasn't able to see shit in CT. Best I was able to get was the eclipse in a lense flare

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1276 on: August 22, 2017, 05:47:33 AM »
That's not a lens flare, that's a spirit orb.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1277 on: August 22, 2017, 05:48:18 AM »

Please please please don't tell me you've bought into the "eclipses are just a government conspiracy" bullshit  :-X

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/08/do-you-believe-the-eclipse-is-going-to-happen/537090/

On August 21, the “moon” will pass between the Earth and the sun, obscuring the light of the latter. The government agency NASA says this will result in “one of nature’s most awe-inspiring sights.” The astronomers there claim to have calculated down to the minute exactly when and where this will happen, and for how long. They have reportedly known about this eclipse for years, just by virtue of some sort of complex math.

This seems extremely unlikely. I can’t even find these eclipse calculations on their website to check them for myself.

Meanwhile the scientists tell us we can’t look at it without special glasses because “looking directly at the sun is unsafe.”

That is, of course, unless we wear glasses that are on a list issued by these very same scientists. Meanwhile, corporations like Amazon are profiting from the sale of these eclipse glasses. Is anyone asking how many of these astronomers also, conveniently, belong to Amazon Prime?

Let’s follow the money a little further. Hotels along the “path of totality”—a region drawn up by Obama-era NASA scientists—have been sold out for months. Some of those hotels are owned and operated by large multinational corporations. Where else do these hotels have locations? You guessed it: Washington, D.C.

In fact the entire politico-scientifico-corporate power structure is aligned behind the eclipse. This includes the mainstream media. How many news stories have you read about how the eclipse won’t happen?

Meanwhile the newspaper owner Jeff Bezos is out there buying all of Seattle with the revenue from these “eclipse glasses.”

You’d think there would be a balanced look at even considering the idea that the eclipse isn’t going to happen. It’s like no one is even thinking to question this.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I guess ancient texts going back centuries documenting these very events mean absolutely nothing. Obama must have conspired with the Chinese 4700 years ago.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:45:57 AM by Chino »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1278 on: August 22, 2017, 06:37:26 AM »
He did.  I am the Chinese, and I was there.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1279 on: August 22, 2017, 06:47:02 AM »

Please please please don't tell me you've bought into the "eclipses are just a government conspiracy" bullshit  :-X

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/08/do-you-believe-the-eclipse-is-going-to-happen/537090/

On August 21, the “moon” will pass between the Earth and the sun, obscuring the light of the latter. The government agency NASA says this will result in “one of nature’s most awe-inspiring sights.” The astronomers there claim to have calculated down to the minute exactly when and where this will happen, and for how long. They have reportedly known about this eclipse for years, just by virtue of some sort of complex math.

This seems extremely unlikely. I can’t even find these eclipse calculations on their website to check them for myself.

Meanwhile the scientists tell us we can’t look at it without special glasses because “looking directly at the sun is unsafe.”

That is, of course, unless we wear glasses that are on a list issued by these very same scientists. Meanwhile, corporations like Amazon are profiting from the sale of these eclipse glasses. Is anyone asking how many of these astronomers also, conveniently, belong to Amazon Prime?

Let’s follow the money a little further. Hotels along the “path of totality”—a region drawn up by Obama-era NASA scientists—have been sold out for months. Some of those hotels are owned and operated by large multinational corporations. Where else do these hotels have locations? You guessed it: Washington, D.C.

In fact the entire politico-scientifico-corporate power structure is aligned behind the eclipse. This includes the mainstream media. How many news stories have you read about how the eclipse won’t happen?

Meanwhile the newspaper owner Jeff Bezos is out there buying all of Seattle with the revenue from these “eclipse glasses.”

You’d think there would be a balanced look at even considering the idea that the eclipse isn’t going to happen. It’s like no one is even thinking to question this.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I guess ancient texts going back centuries documenting these very event mean absolutely nothing. Obama must have conspired with the Chinese 4700 years ago.
Dear god, Chino, I'm making a joke from a guy in Connecticut who didn't see shit! I had no glasses. My sense of humor is not funny to most.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:02:15 PM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1280 on: August 22, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »
Gotcha, just had to make sure  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: August 22, 2017, 06:57:06 AM »
But now that we're on the subject, an eclipse would be the perfect time to lay down some sweet chem-trails on a bunch of unsuspecting bystanders.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: August 22, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »
It took me over 13 hours to get home from Carbondale, a trip that's normally under 6 hours. Got a few hours of sleep and now have to go to work.  :'(

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1283 on: August 22, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »
It took me over 13 hours to get home from Carbondale, a trip that's normally under 6 hours. Got a few hours of sleep and now have to go to work.  :'(
Mine was only about 8.5 hours for a 5.5 hr trip to my midway point. Most of that was because of the Tennessee highway department, though. Maybe when you know there's going to be twice as many people on the road than usual you knock of the construction early, but that's just me thinking. Bad part was that TN does theirs during the day which put me into AK right about 8pm when they start their construction.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1284 on: August 22, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »
Ouch. Construction basically left 57 unusable most of the way North. Normal congestion was insane coming out of town though. We stopped at a gas station after driving for about 3.5 hours, and my friend asked the attendant casually how far out of Carbondale we were. We knew all hope was lost when she responded, "about 25 minutes."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1285 on: August 22, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
Ouch. Construction basically left 57 unusable most of the way North. Normal congestion was insane coming out of town though. We stopped at a gas station after driving for about 3.5 hours, and my friend asked the attendant casually how far out of Carbondale we were. We knew all hope was lost when she responded, "about 25 minutes."
I never saw anything like that. There was increased traffic into Nashville, but nothing too bad. Same outbound. It wasn't until I was approaching Memphis that things really started to turn ugly. At one point Mrs. Google added 30 minutes to my ETA due to worsening traffic. Then every 30 minutes thereafter she'd add 40 more for the same reason. I was actually moving backward in time while driving forward. That's kind of disheartening.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1286 on: August 22, 2017, 03:50:18 PM »
  I was actually moving backward in time while driving forward. 

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1287 on: August 23, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »

Last one was my temporary home on the Black River in the MTNF.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: August 23, 2017, 10:43:41 AM »
Those your pics EB?  Looks awesome

I just realized in going through some pics I took Monday morning, that I, like Chino, actually got a decent shot of the eclipse though the lens flare.  I didn't even notice until I put them on my PC last night and zoomed in.  I was actually amazed to see that and I had quite a few to see the moon moving past too. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1289 on: August 23, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
Anyone else see this...Ozzy at Moonstock singing Bark at the Moon during totality...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfWoZ43CF9k

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: August 23, 2017, 11:06:49 AM »
That's so badass! :metal I love how over the course of that one song, it starts out light, then becomes a night concert, and by the end of the song it's light again. THE DEVIL'S MUSIC SUMMONING THE DARKNESS

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1291 on: August 23, 2017, 11:07:16 AM »
Nice!!   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: August 23, 2017, 11:46:16 AM »
Anyone else see this...Ozzy at Moonstock singing Bark at the Moon during totality...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfWoZ43CF9k

:metal :metal :metal that is so awesome

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1293 on: September 15, 2017, 04:54:24 AM »
So, today Cassini ends his glorious run diving deep into Saturn. It's a noble sacrifice, the moons of Saturn have some kind of water and we cannot risk the craft eventually crashing into one of them and contaminating the system, so it's a sucide-by-planet for it.

Hooray for Cassini and all the beautiful pictures it sent us!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1294 on: September 15, 2017, 06:49:53 AM »
So, today Cassini ends his glorious run diving deep into Saturn. It's a noble sacrifice, the moons of Saturn have some kind of water and we cannot risk the craft eventually crashing into one of them and contaminating the system, so it's a sucide-by-planet for it.

Hooray for Cassini and all the beautiful pictures it sent us!  :metal

It's a great time to be alive and a space nerd  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"