Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 191603 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #350 on: September 05, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »
Any of you guys ever seen "Moon Machines"? It's a multi-part documentary about the engineering behind the moon landing. Super cool.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #351 on: September 06, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »
Any of you guys ever seen "Moon Machines"? It's a multi-part documentary about the engineering behind the moon landing. Super cool.

Never, but I will try and check it out.

When it comes to Moon related documentaries, I think my fav is still Moon Shot: The Inside Story of the Apollo Project (1994)  https://www.amazon.com/Moon-Shot-Inside-Apollo-Project/dp/6303126707  The story was told from Deke Slayton's point-of-view, but sadly he passed away during the production of it (IIRC). Thankfully they got Barry Corbin to re-do the narration, and I thought he had done a GREAT job at all. Sadly I think this GREAT documentary is only available on VHS...  :(
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #352 on: October 09, 2014, 01:29:52 AM »
NASA’s newest spacecraft, Orion, will be launching into space for the first time in December 2014, on a flight that will take it farther than any spacecraft built to carry humans has gone in more than 40 years and through temperatures twice as hot as molten lava to put its critical systems to the test.

Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle (MPCV) is a planned, beyond-low Earth orbit (LEO) manned spacecraft that is being built by Lockheed Martin for NASA, and Airbus Defence and Space for the European Space Agency for crewed missions to the Moon, asteroids and Mars. It is planned to be launched by the Space Launch System. Each Orion spacecraft is projected to carry a crew of 0–6 astronauts.

https://youtu.be/KyZqSWWKmHQ

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2014, 03:52:25 AM »
NASA’s newest spacecraft, Orion, will be launching into space for the first time in December 2014, on a flight that will take it farther than any spacecraft built to carry humans has gone in more than 40 years and through temperatures twice as hot as molten lava to put its critical systems to the test.

Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle (MPCV) is a planned, beyond-low Earth orbit (LEO) manned spacecraft that is being built by Lockheed Martin for NASA, and Airbus Defence and Space for the European Space Agency for crewed missions to the Moon, asteroids and Mars. It is planned to be launched by the Space Launch System. Each Orion spacecraft is projected to carry a crew of 0–6 astronauts.

https://youtu.be/KyZqSWWKmHQ
Holy shit.

Side note... Did they use a TIE figher sound for the fly-by at 42 seconds?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyZqSWWKmHQ#t=42
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #354 on: October 09, 2014, 07:57:38 AM »
One of my favorite of the Apollo documentaries.  My favorite episode was the navigation computer.

Regarding Orion, I designed part of the pressurization system used for inflating the uprighting airbags after splashdown.  Arguably not one of the sexiest functions of the spacecraft, but keep in mind that it needs to survive every part of the spaceflight including reentry and splashdown.  I believe that system will be tested on this flight.

Also, in December it will fly on an Delta IV launch vehicle, not SLS which is not developed yet.  Eventually it is planned to fly on SLS.  I didn't watch the video, so maybe that is mentioned there.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #355 on: October 09, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »
That's pretty damn cool! You work for NASA?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #356 on: October 09, 2014, 09:46:12 AM »
I have a buddy who software develops at Space X, and it was his code that blew up that test rocket a few weeks back.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #357 on: October 09, 2014, 09:48:59 AM »
That's gotta sting a bit!  :lol Did he figure out what in his code that caused it?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #358 on: October 09, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »
That's gotta sting a bit!  :lol Did he figure out what in his code that caused it?

He said hardware failure. The main computer detected a malfunction and decided that destroying the rocket was the safest avenue. Through the FIRST robotics program, I also met Tom Gavin. He's the guy who signed off on the Mars orbiter that missed Mars because part of the project was done in metric units and other parts were done in English units.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #359 on: October 09, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
No, a subcontractor.  Basically, NASA develops the requirements and bids out the spacecraft to industry.  Lockheed is the prime contractor for the Orion crew module, who in turn subs out much of the subsystems to companies who specialize in the appropriate technology.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #360 on: October 09, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »

He said hardware failure. The main computer detected a malfunction and decided that destroying the rocket was the safest avenue. Through the FIRST robotics program, I also met Tom Gavin. He's the guy who signed off on the Mars orbiter that missed Mars because part of the project was done in metric units and other parts were done in English units.
And it wasn't even as blatant as using feet instead of meters.  The mass moments of inertia (heavy objects are difficult to rotate, so its akin to mass making it difficult to move a heavy object in a straight line) for the spacecraft were in the wrong unit system.  The attitude control system was then using inappropriate thrust to maneuver.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: October 09, 2014, 12:24:56 PM »
No, a subcontractor.  Basically, NASA develops the requirements and bids out the spacecraft to industry.  Lockheed is the prime contractor for the Orion crew module, who in turn subs out much of the subsystems to companies who specialize in the appropriate technology.
Oh I see, cool.  :)

Oh my, haven't heard about that. Googled a bit and yes that was one expensive brainfart!

NASA's Mars Climate Orbiter was lost in space last week because engineers failed to make a simple conversion from English units to metric, an embarrassing lapse that sent the $125 million craft fatally close to the Martian surface, investigators said yesterday.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #362 on: October 24, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »
Stunning Rosetta Images Reveal Sand Dunes on Comet 67P Churyumov-Gerasimenko
It's a large icy lump of rock that has spent millions of years hurtling through the vacuum of space, so you can imagine the surprise on the faces of ESA researchers when they discovered Comet 67P Churyumov-Gerasimenko possessed what appeared to be sand dunes. Of course, it's not sand as we know it, but instead dust that is almost inexplicably collecting on the comet's surface.

The images above were taken on October 18th with Rosetta approximately 8km away from Comet 67P, and the presence of those dusty dunes will be the focus of a great deal of study on the part of Rosetta's science team. However, most of ESA's energies will be fully focused on the events leading up to November 12th, when the Rosetta team will attempt the first soft-landing on a comet in human history.

https://www.outerplaces.com/universe/technology/item/6469-stunning-rosetta-images-reveal-sand-dunes-on-comet-67p-churyumov-gerasimenko

Cool stuff!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #363 on: October 25, 2014, 02:33:35 AM »
That's awesome!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #364 on: October 25, 2014, 12:58:52 PM »
here's an even closer image:

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #365 on: October 25, 2014, 02:27:18 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: October 25, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
So in the " this is news to me " category :

Apparently there is 90% gravity in space and people are only weightless in shuttles and space stations due to  free fall - which is overridden by it's horizontal motion orbiting the earth.

:eek I've heard that twice recently. All this time I thought there was like 5% gravity in space.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #367 on: October 25, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
nevermind :)
deleted post.

Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #368 on: October 25, 2014, 04:25:38 PM »
So in the " this is news to me " category :

Apparently there is 90% gravity in space and people are only weightless in shuttles and space stations due to  free fall - which is overridden by it's horizontal motion orbiting the earth.

:eek I've heard that twice recently. All this time I thought there was like 5% gravity in space.

That's rather all over the place.
First of all, yes indeed, if you are in orbit, the gravity of the planet is exactly counteracted by the centrifugal force.

However, that doesn't mean every point in space has that amount of gravity. Get away far enough from any star and your gravitational pull will be miniscule

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #369 on: October 29, 2014, 06:36:20 AM »
The comments on this article make me unbelievably sad.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/10/28/unmanned-nasa-rocket-explodes-after-liftoff/

My personal favorite: "More proof that our grads from our globowel warming institutions are doing great, no wonder they find jobs."

Offline jasc15

« Reply #370 on: October 31, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
Virgin Galactic’s Spaceship Two Crashes During Test Flight

https://www.nycaviation.com/2014/10/developing-virgin-galactic-says-spaceship-two-flight-anomaly/#.VFPjjPnF8eX

California Highway Patrol has reported that there was one fatality and one seriously injured in the crash.

Space is hard.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #371 on: October 31, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
Yeah. That really sucks for that company. I wonder if they are going to lose any preorders. I know they have a ton of them. This has not been a good week for space.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:15:58 PM by Chino »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #372 on: October 31, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
space is probably doing just fine without us
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: October 31, 2014, 04:45:56 PM »
Yeah. That really sucks for that company. I wonder if they are going to lose any preorders. I know they have a ton of them. This has not been a good week for space.
Yea some backlash will happen but as gruesome as it may sound it's during accidents like this that the project becomes "safer" because they're forced to investigate and solve scenarios they didn't foresee.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2014, 08:29:07 AM »
space is probably doing just fine without us

:lol I forgot the word "travel".

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: November 12, 2014, 08:22:58 AM »
Comet landing shortly!

https://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

:corn

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #376 on: November 12, 2014, 08:26:23 AM »
Comet landing shortly!

https://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

:corn

I'm so pissed I can't find a link that gets through my company's network :(

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #377 on: November 12, 2014, 08:33:32 AM »
Thx for the link, watching as we speak!  :corn

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #378 on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:23 AM »
Cool. I found a stream that works. Is everyone else just seeing mostly footage of a with a long-sleeve, hooded sweatshirt on?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #379 on: November 12, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »
Pretty much. People standing around at computers looking at screens and talking to each other.

edit: Looks like it was successful?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #380 on: November 12, 2014, 09:05:53 AM »
Pretty much. People standing around at computers looking at screens and talking to each other.

edit: Looks like it was successful?

Either that or we just smashed into it  :lol

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: November 12, 2014, 09:10:39 AM »
"It has done its job, we are on the comet." *mic drop*

Yes, he really dropped the mic.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #382 on: November 12, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »
Yay!!!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #383 on: November 12, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »
This is beyond awesome.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #384 on: November 12, 2014, 09:20:02 AM »
It would have been so tragic to have 3 major space related catastrophes in about a week, not to mention after taking a decade to reach its destination.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.