Author Topic: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.  (Read 191574 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Space and Astronomy Thread v. Well, this is weird.
« Reply #1155 on: September 15, 2016, 04:20:14 AM »
The ESA's Rosetta comet orbiter has found complex, solid organic molecules in dust particles that came of the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, lending credence to the theory that organic compounds, or even life itself came from the stars.

https://futurism.com/first-ever-discovery-complex-organic-molecules-found-on-rosettas-comet/

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1156 on: September 16, 2016, 02:27:27 AM »
"Some believe...that life itself....began somewere...OUT THERE"
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1157 on: September 23, 2016, 12:07:26 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1158 on: September 24, 2016, 03:16:29 PM »
“Fifty-five years after President Kennedy challenged the nation to put a man on the moon, the Senate is challenging NASA to put humans on Mars. The priorities that we’ve laid out for NASA in this bill mark the beginning of a new era of American spaceflight,” said an optimistic Florida Sen. Bill Nelson, senior Democrat on the Commerce panel.

https://futurism.com/its-official-were-going-to-mars/
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1159 on: September 26, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »
Constellation Orion coming back around.  Always miss it during the spring and summer months.  One of my favs.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1160 on: September 26, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1161 on: September 26, 2016, 06:38:31 PM »
“Fifty-five years after President Kennedy challenged the nation to put a man on the moon, the Senate is challenging NASA to put humans on Mars. The priorities that we’ve laid out for NASA in this bill mark the beginning of a new era of American spaceflight,” said an optimistic Florida Sen. Bill Nelson, senior Democrat on the Commerce panel.

https://futurism.com/its-official-were-going-to-mars/
As a second step I'd love to see it happen. At the same time I have my doubts. Putting a man on the moon cost $20B in 1960s dollars. While this is clearly just the first installment, getting to Mars is going to take that much money every year until we get there, and I'm not sure the determination is quite to that point yet. Priorities change all the time. Apollo happened at a time when you could organize an enormous concerted national effort. I don't think we have that spirit right now. In 1961 the presidents says "I've decided we're going to the moon," and people stop discussing the merits and start discussing the practicalities. If Obama asked me to pick up a Snicker's wrapper off the ground, depending on the tone of his voice I might well tell him to go fuck his mother. Without the existential threat that Sputnik represented and the attitude sitcktogetherness that the cold war brought, I just can't see us completing such a thing.

Consider that most of that $19B will probably be spent just in the planning stage. It'll be a year or two before anything is actually done, and that's time where people can change their mind tax-free, so to speak.

On the flip, and less cynical side, It's nice to see this bill getting bipartisan support. Space exploration is valuable far, far beyond the exploration of space.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1162 on: September 29, 2016, 01:24:55 PM »
^^Well said and yea it's gonna cost alot. Funny though because I was just about to ask what everyone thinks of SpaceX recent announcement about going to Mars in 2022?

https://www.geekwire.com/2016/spacex-elon-musk-colonize-mars/

Offline adace

« Reply #1163 on: September 29, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
^^Well said and yea it's gonna cost alot. Funny though because I was just about to ask what everyone thinks of SpaceX recent announcement about going to Mars in 2022?

https://www.geekwire.com/2016/spacex-elon-musk-colonize-mars/
Sounds awesome. Hopefully they can actually pull it off.

At this point though I really don't care who gets to Mars first just as long as someone actually does and soon.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1164 on: September 29, 2016, 06:10:46 PM »
Without the existential threat that Sputnik represented and the attitude sitcktogetherness that the cold war brought, I just can't see us completing such a thing.
I really don't think this can be overstated.  This was a rare alignment of history, politics and culture coming together to make this happen.  I don't doubt that if that trajectory had been continued, we would have humans on Mars 10 or 20 or more years ago.  Technology is rarely if ever the limiting factor.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1165 on: October 01, 2016, 12:56:39 PM »
Quote from: Elon Musk about going to Mars

"Ultimately, I'd suspect you'd see Mars transit times of as little as 30 days in the distant future," he said, noting it's a lot different than the estimates of six months or more that are often passed around.

"During the journey, he wants to set up the spaceship's crew compartment so that passengers can play zero-gravity games, watch movies, and more."

"It will be, like, really fun to go," Musk said. "You'll have a great time."
Sweeeet, where do I sign up?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1166 on: October 06, 2016, 06:49:59 AM »
Blue Origin put on a hell of a show yesterday  :metal I'm thrilled to see the private sector making such great progress.

Offline metropofreak

• I like turtles
« Reply #1167 on: October 11, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »
Very exciting.  They need to send something there immediately.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-hubble-spots-possible-water-plumes-erupting-on-jupiters-moon-europa

This is much more convincing than the first set of Hubble observations. Hopefully it'll boost/maintain funding for the Europa Clipper mission.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1168 on: October 12, 2016, 11:41:42 PM »
Wife presented me with a Celeston powerseeker 127 EQ series telescope for my birthday. My first telescope ever! I haven't had a chance to play with it due to cloudy skies almost every night along with hurricane Mathew weather. Going to try it one of these nights.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: October 13, 2016, 05:10:42 AM »
Sucks that we're centuries away from anything resembling an actual Uss Enterprise.

We're nowhere near even taking passengers into space.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1170 on: October 13, 2016, 07:02:34 AM »
Wife presented me with a Celeston powerseeker 127 EQ series telescope for my birthday. My first telescope ever! I haven't had a chance to play with it due to cloudy skies almost every night along with hurricane Mathew weather. Going to try it one of these nights.

Nice :tup

Offline adace

« Reply #1171 on: October 13, 2016, 11:26:21 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/13/hubble-telescope-universe-galaxies-astronomy
And just when my mind was already completely boggled by the vastness of space this come along.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1172 on: November 03, 2016, 06:53:12 PM »
Speaking of Hubble, the building of it's substitue the James Webb telescope is apparently done and will be launched in 2018. Can't wait to see what mystery of the universe it will unfold. Ultra Deep Field ×10 perhaps.

https://www.space.com/34593-james-webb-space-telescope-complete-2018-launch.html

Offline adace

« Reply #1173 on: November 03, 2016, 11:48:35 PM »
Speaking of Hubble, the building of it's substitue the James Webb telescope is apparently done and will be launched in 2018. Can't wait to see what mystery of the universe it will unfold. Ultra Deep Field ×10 perhaps.

https://www.space.com/34593-james-webb-space-telescope-complete-2018-launch.html
Stoked for that too. Should bring back some amazing results.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1174 on: November 04, 2016, 03:10:54 AM »
20 years of build time, hopefully it won't blow up at launch, that would be a bit salty for the engineers. :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1175 on: December 08, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »
Man, 2016 just won't quit.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1176 on: December 08, 2016, 02:09:14 PM »
RIP John Glenn, indeed. 2016...man.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1177 on: January 25, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »
I just stumbled across this great video about nVidia using computer graphics to debunk moon landing hoax arguments about photos taken on the moon. Even if you don't know CGI or lighting, it's well worth skimming to gain some understanding of the principles involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syVP6zDZN7I
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: January 29, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »
I liked the Mythbusters episode of Moon Landing hoaxes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1179 on: February 19, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
Awesome footage of the recent Falcon 9 landing. Seeing a rocket land like that feels very sci-fi.  :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glEvogjdEVY

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1180 on: February 19, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »
I watched the live stream, and it was both tense and exciting. I was hoping nothing would go wrong after they aborted the day before out of precaution, and that landing was amazing to see. Congrats to them!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1181 on: February 23, 2017, 12:00:10 AM »
Given the system's name, at first I thought this was a joke, but no:

https://www.space.com/35790-seven-earth-size-planets-trappist-1-discovery.html
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1182 on: February 23, 2017, 12:56:28 AM »
It's cool but again, whenever they discover new exoplanets which seems to be all the time I can't help but feel a bit meh when I know we will never get there in our lifetime. The discovery itself is still amazing. I think when the James Webb telescope is operational stuff will get even more interesting.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1183 on: February 23, 2017, 03:07:14 AM »
neil degrasse tyson was just on the Joe rogan podcast. Lots of very interesting conversation subjects space related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhHtBqsGAoA

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1184 on: February 23, 2017, 07:41:01 AM »
It's cool but again, whenever they discover new exoplanets which seems to be all the time I can't help but feel a bit meh when I know we will never get there in our lifetime. The discovery itself is still amazing. I think when the James Webb telescope is operational stuff will get even more interesting.

Still cool though. I'm sure Galileo wasn't thinking of something like Cassini when he was observing Saturn through his telescope. We're laying down the pavement for future generations. I dig it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: February 23, 2017, 01:50:03 PM »
I read when the news broke about the latest exoplanets, that scientists believe we'll be able to know if there's life on any of those worlds in about a decade or so. I'm not sure about that however -- I mean, we still can't confirm if there is life anywhere in our solar system yet, much less something light years away.

I hope they can do it, however. It was an exciting discovery. Those who follow it more closely -- am I accurately recalling that, in addition to the fact that the planets are so close together, that gravity impacts all of them from each other, that only one side of them faces the star?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1186 on: February 24, 2017, 06:46:31 AM »
I accurately recalling that, in addition to the fact that the planets are so close together, that gravity impacts all of them from each other, that only one side of them faces the star?

Yes, they are all tidally-locked to the star, so only one side faces the light from the star at any point. This means that each side of the respective planet either always has day or always has light.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: February 24, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »
I accurately recalling that, in addition to the fact that the planets are so close together, that gravity impacts all of them from each other, that only one side of them faces the star?

Yes, they are all tidally-locked to the star, so only one side faces the light from the star at any point. This means that each side of the respective planet either always has day or always has light.

Thanks for confirming for me. Interesting. Obviously, the possibility for life in that situation exists, but man, I wonder just how different it may be. Good stuff for some science fiction writing too.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1188 on: February 24, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »

Thanks for confirming for me. Interesting. Obviously, the possibility for life in that situation exists, but man, I wonder just how different it may be. Good stuff for some science fiction writing too.

If there are oceans of water and assuming organisms consume one another for energy, I think it is likely we will see creatures very similar to the fish on Earth, at least in regards to their shape. Granted we have some creatures like the octopus and jellyfish that don't fit the mold, but the bulk of sea life shares the torpedo shape. This wasn't due to evolutionary chance, it was due to physics. We've seen fish and mammals from independent evolutionary lines arrive at the same shape (sharks and dolphins) because of evolution's drive for efficiency. If you need to move through water fast for survival, the torpedo is the shape, and if you need to steer, fins are easy to make and light weight relative to the body.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:26:34 AM by Chino »

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1189 on: February 24, 2017, 12:33:48 PM »
Its interesting to me that we can make some assumptions about alien life that are reasonable, which are based on physics rather than the specific conditions on earth.  Even though our imaginations are limited to life on earth, the universality of physics places some limits on forms life can take in the universe.

https://nautil.us/issue/34/adaptation/can-a-living-creature-be-as-big-as-a-galaxy
Remarkably, the constraints of environment on physical bodies also constrain life to be roughly the same size that intelligence requires. The height of the tallest redwoods is limited by their inability to pump water more than 100 meters into the sky, a limit set by a combination of the force of gravity on the Earth (which pulls the water down) and transpiration, water adhesion, and surface tension in the plant xylem (which pushes it up).