Author Topic: Combat Robotics - Results from our first competition  (Read 702 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Combat Robotics - Results from our first competition
« on: January 22, 2024, 08:59:10 AM »
I think Chino may have had a thread some time ago, but I can't find it, so here it goes. Basically the wife and I have been BattleBots fans for many years, but last year Chino got us up to Connecticut to see an NHRL event featuring 3, 12, and 30lb bots, compared to the 250lb bots you see on TV. I feared that it wouldn't be nearly as good, but honestly we had a blast. Over time I decided that I wanted to give it a go and so over the last three months we formed "Crafty Cat Combat" (playing off of my wife's "Crafty Cat Mom" crocheting moniker), and built our first 3lb bot, Little Bob.

We actually built it twice for ease of making it through damage and repairs. We got done in time and competed this past Saturday, January 20. We went 2-1 in the qualifiers to make it into the main tournament (you needed 2 wins), and then got knocked out in the first round. Chino was able to join and help out throughout that day as well!

But we had an absolute blast. Made a dropbox link with our fights, as well as some pictures of the bots, the pits, and the damage we took throughout.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/fdst3iuqjntvt417bejux/h?rlkey=yt6xz5y0askaedric7pa71adv&dl=0
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Combat Robotics - Results from our first competition
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 05:22:53 AM »
It was a lot of fun following along on the stream and yours and Jennie's FB updates the day of. Are you planning on competing more?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 08:13:17 AM »
It was a lot of fun following along on the stream and yours and Jennie's FB updates the day of. Are you planning on competing more?

Yes indeed. How soon is the question because the schedule is just brutal against our personal calendars. The next NHRL event is the same weekend as BBT/Haken, and the two after that are on work weekends for me. Not a complete dealbreaker, but given they now have a lottery system for builder selection, just gotta hope we get selected and then figure it out from there. There are smaller events in NJ, but there again, next two are out for conflicts, so soonest is May 4th, which even then would be just me as Jennie will be in Ireland.

So that's kinda the date I have in mind to be sure to be ready for. Not sure yet what I'll run for that. Been kicking ideas around since getting back on where I want to focus efforts. Just getting the current bot Little Bob back to normal would be the easiest. I can also try to do a little design work on it to make it better. I can also try out another "kit bot". And what I'm actually leaning towards is designing something relatively new to try out.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 11:15:16 AM »
Loved seeing your updates on FB. Looks like a fun time.