Author Topic: The DT Top 50 Songs tracker thread  (Read 26779 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The DT Top 50 Songs tracker thread
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »
Added and added.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2013, 11:29:51 PM »
I keep wondering, how has everyone been deciding their top 50? I'm planning this meticulous process of listening to every album (and grouping some non-album songs together as an album) and ranking each song, and then comparing the similar-ranking songs to each other and ranking those and repeating. Given that I have awhile until my turn comes up, my opinion may change on songs and I'll have to redo the process. :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2013, 07:03:21 AM »
I had a pretty good idea of my, I dunno, Top 70 or something beforehand. I ranked them the way that I first thought I would, without thinking about it much. After that, I moved up every song that I felt was better than the one above it, until I was satisfied. Took me an hour at max.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2013, 07:07:32 AM »
I have all songs in iTunes and I just made a playlist and started dragging songs into there that I felt should belong in the top 50, going through every album, thinking 'this one should go in there, this one shouldn't'. When I finished I had around 35 songs, so I went over it again, until I had 50. Then I started ranking those songs. The top 20 is pretty easy to do I found, but after that you'll really have to wager which one you'll like better and I asked myself every time; 'Why do I like this? And why do I like it better than X-song'.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2013, 07:14:33 AM »
I keep wondering, how has everyone been deciding their top 50? I'm planning this meticulous process of listening to every album (and grouping some non-album songs together as an album) and ranking each song, and then comparing the similar-ranking songs to each other and ranking those and repeating. Given that I have awhile until my turn comes up, my opinion may change on songs and I'll have to redo the process. :lol

I ripped all the albums to my computer, put all the songs in winamp and started deleting the songs I don't like. Then I started dragging songs up and down until I got them sorted out in a way that convinced me enough. It is neither easy or fast
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »
About half a year ago I ranked the songs on each album and then dropped the weaker ones until there were only 50 left - then I started doing an overall ranking. It was freaking hard and I had to do a lot of changes: some songs at the bottom were replaced with songs that weren't originally on the list and the ranking itself went through many twists and turns.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2013, 09:30:07 AM »
MY methodology is in my first post of my top 50.  Basically I listened to everything the band had released (officially and ytse jam stuff) and rated it as objectively as I could, then organized the results by preference in the case of ties.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
Can I go for a v2, for the hell of it? It will be fun, I promise.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »
Can I go for a v2, for the hell of it? It will be fun, I promise.

Added.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2013, 07:26:54 AM »
We are flying through this list. Some people have been caught off guard when their names have come up, which explains the growing "On hold" list. Try to keep track of the list so that you're prepared.

But by all means, if you're not ready to share when your name comes up, there's no shame in hanging out in the other list.

Offline Naikon

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »
When you do the list, should you do SDOIT as one song or every song individually?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2013, 04:20:53 PM »
When you do the list, should you do SDOIT as one song or every song individually?

That's entirely up to you.

Your list. Your rules.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2013, 03:55:30 AM »
We are flying through this list. Some people have been caught off guard when their names have come up, which explains the growing "On hold" list.
I thought people were complaining that we were taking too long.  Now we're going too fast?

People are funny.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2013, 04:09:29 AM »
I'm going to complain that the lists are now progressing at an acceptable pace.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dacling

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2013, 06:08:51 PM »
Destiny of Chaos had messaged me that it was now my turn so I started my list was there a mistake?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
Oh, sorry about that.  I looked here, and it didn't look like it was your turn yet.  I will unlock the other thread (although I think the rules are that it is supposed to be a 50 list--otherwise, they take too long, but I will let DOC decide since he is running these).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dacling

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2013, 06:16:51 PM »
Oh, sorry about that.  I looked here, and it didn't look like it was your turn yet.  I will unlock the other thread (although I think the rules are that it is supposed to be a 50 list--otherwise, they take too long, but I will let DOC decide since he is running these).

Don't worry I'm going to blow through the bottom 50 by doing them in groups of 10.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2013, 06:18:19 PM »

Don't worry I'm going to blow through the bottom 50 by doing them in groups of 10.

Works for me. Sorry about the confusion. Have fun.

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2013, 07:28:55 AM »
Can I be added to the list, please?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
Can I be added to the list, please?

Added.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
I would like to be added as well, please.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »
I would like to be added as well, please.

Added.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2013, 12:11:55 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here but I have been putting together a top 50 list for a while and would like to share my peculiar thoughts on Dream Theater with everyone. I'd love to hear you guy's perspective on my experiences with this historical band so I'd like to be on the list.  ;D

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2013, 02:37:12 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here but I have been putting together a top 50 list for a while and would like to share my peculiar thoughts on Dream Theater with everyone. I'd love to hear you guy's perspective on my experiences with this historical band so I'd like to be on the list.  ;D

Added. Welcome to the forum.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »

Welcome to DTF. Sooner or later, you will be discussing either Kevin Moore, The Count of Tuscany, or Mike Portnoy.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »
I'm done :)

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »

I've already listened to their discography from WDADU and listened right though each album up to ADTOE while I'm at work. (I do outdoor work, just put headphones in, makes work go faster, I generally end up working more productively, and I get to listen to great music the whole time  :hat). Before listening to their discography I was becoming quite familiar with their music, slowly making my way through their catalogue, and looking back on it, it was a completely random order with no real sequence or logic to it. Since then I've made my way though listening to all their live albums and watching most on DVD also, and recently have been treading through all the B sides/Bootlegs/Rarities and individual band member's side projects etc.

So pretty much at this point, I made a playlist of every song I recognised to be appropriate for a DT list and it was fairly easy to clump all my favourites near the top, and fairly easy to put all the ones I knew wouldn't make it at the bottom. I sort of organised the top 10 and decided the song that I liked the most then proceeded to shuffle around various song orders deciding which ones made more of an impression or impacted me moreso than others. I had to use certain songs as a marker and ask myself, 'did I enjoy this more than this, despite this also being quite amazing???...' Although as a whole, I havn't gone out of my way to re-listen to things while creating the list and just went by the lasting impression each song had on me. Because I accept that if I try and listen to everything again (which will eventually happen anyway) the list will just be forever changing and will not be able to remain in a solid state, these guys just have way too many awesome songs.  ;D

Welcome to DTF. Sooner or later, you will be discussing either Kevin Moore, The Count of Tuscany, or Mike Portnoy.

Haha, dw I have great respect for all 3 of the things you mentioned so should be no problem.  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2013, 02:59:59 PM »
Two of the users have stopped updating their lists. We'll get two new lists started tomorrow, so if you're near the top of the list, get ready.

Offline Naikon

« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »
Cool! Im so excited!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »
Cool! Im so excited!

Well, since you're on top of the list. Feel free to get started right now, or whenever's good for you.

Offline Naikon

« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »
Cool! Im so excited!

Well, since you're on top of the list. Feel free to get started right now, or whenever's good for you.

Ill get going tomorrow! It's in the middle of the night here in Sweden, a bit tired!

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2013, 03:19:07 PM »
I'm going to have to go on hold for this. I got overwhelmed by how I'm going to organize my list.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
Sorry I didn't finish mine. Real life kinda got in the way, and I haven't been able to really put aside time to organize my top 20.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2013, 04:07:06 PM »
Sorry I didn't finish mine. Real life kinda got in the way, and I haven't been able to really put aside time to organize my top 20.

If you get time, let us know, and we can revive it sometime.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »
That moment when the "On Hold" List is as big as the "Wait" list.  :angel: