Poll

How often are you late for things (work, outings, hangouts, etc.)?

Almost never
62 (66.7%)
Some of the time
18 (19.4%)
Almost always
13 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: March 23, 2013, 12:56:25 PM

Author Topic: "I'm always late." - are you one of those people?  (Read 5793 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
"I'm always late." - are you one of those people?
« on: January 11, 2013, 11:56:25 AM »
I have to admit, as someone who is almost never late for anything, people who are always late tend to annoy me.  I am one of those people who will leave 20 minutes early for something if it is 10 minutes away, just so I am not late; I hate being late for anything.  I know, I know, you shouldn't get aggravated by things that are out of your control, but seriously, is it really that difficult to be on time?  The answer, of course, is a resounding NO.  It is not difficult.  And I get that kids, traffic, etc. can sometimes cause people to be late for things, but when someone is always late for everything, I take that as a lack of respect for others, like, "I don't care if you have to wait for me; I'll get there when I feel like it."

Feel free to vote and comment.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: "I'm always late." - are you one of those people?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »
Never. I don't waste time and hope no one else wastes mine as well.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »
I am the most disgustingly prompt person on the planet. Nine years at my current job, I have been late once because of a transit breakdown.  As to social events and meeting with friends, by being prompt, I am being courteous and respectful to my friends and their time.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
Never. I don't waste time and hope no one else wastes mine as well.

Bingo.  I think I get more bothered by people who don't even CARE that they are (perennially) late.

I am the most disgustingly prompt person on the planet. Nine years at my current job, I have been late once because of a transit breakdown.  As to social events and meeting with friends, by being prompt, I am being courteous and respectful to my friends and their time.

I will attest to that on your behalf.  If I recall, I was on time in Buffalo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »
I hate hate being late for anything. I'm the person who always arrives at least 10 mins early for work. I consider myself late if I'm not early. People who are late really get to me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »
I voted almost never, but I honestly can't remember the last time I've been late for anything in my life. So never:P But seriously, I'm never fucking late. I couldn't care less if others are late or flat out don't give a shit; it makes me look even better. Even as a kid my dad used to make me leave thirty minutes early to get there 10 minutes before whatever it was that I had to be on time for; usually footaball practice. I see that typo but I'm not even gonna change it cause I secretly want to be an Italian football player named Carliano Gianni. /phone

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »
Looks like you are in trouble with DTF Kev.  Lump me in with wanting to be prompt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »
I'm always early.

If anything i'm always too early and annoy myself cause I have to stand around waiting for 10 minutes or more.

Nothing wrong with being punctual though.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I do apologise. You're right. The three seconds it took me to hit Post again made me change my entire outlook on life. Fuck Alarms.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »

I will attest to that on your behalf.  If I recall, I was on time in Buffalo.

Yes you were.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
Relatable story:

About a year ago, I had to change where I go for haircuts. The gal who used to do it did a great job, but she was tough to get appointments for, and it seemed like nearly every time, someone being late earlier in the day put her 20-30 minutes behind for the rest of the day, and she'd never call the rest of us to let us know she was running behind, and getting there for a 2:00 cut and having to wait till 2:25 was annoying as hell, so I simply stopped going to her.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »
Looks like you are in trouble with DTF Kev.   

Read my first post again!  I am never late for anything.  But I can see how the thread title might confuse one into thinking that that was an admission on my part. :facepalm:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
It is pretty annoying when people are always late, and just have that as a sort-of built-in excuse. My best friend is like that. He has a 1 year old now, so it is understandably tough to get out the door, but he's been like this since we were in high school. Now if I want to do something with him, I suggest a meeting time of 30 minutes prior to when I would normally suggest, so that when he is late, he is on-time as I had planned in my schedule.

Same thing with my wife. We suggest a time, I am ready by then, she is not, I start playing on the Wii, she comes down and asks “Why are you playing a game?” I say “Cause I was ready 20 minutes ago and got tired of just sitting here.” You know how long it takes you to put on make-up and do your hair... you've been doing it for decades. So now I do the same ol’ ‘suggest a time that is earlier so she is ready when we actually should be ready.”
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »
I've done that with certain friends before, too, Cool Chris.  Works like a charm. :tup :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 12:13:49 PM »
I'm always early.

If anything I'm always too early and annoy myself cause I have to stand around waiting for 10 minutes or more.

I am this as well.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to being on time. Not as much as when I was younger, but its still there.

One thing that drives me batshit crazy is watching people rush in the morning driving like 60 miles an hour on two lane roads as I commute in the morning. I leave 10 minutes early every day and its so liberating to just take my dear sweet ass time.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:21:06 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
Looks like you are in trouble with DTF Kev.   

Read my first post again!  I am never late for anything.  But I can see how the thread title might confuse one into thinking that that was an admission on my part. :facepalm:

:facepalm: on me  :facepalm: :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »
I'm always early.

If anything I'm always too early and annoy myself cause I have to stand around waiting for 10 minutes or more.

I am this as well.

Hi Five ! <, ''> /  \ <'' ,> 

Unacceptable : Oh we left late... Well you should have made sure you were ready the night before and given yourself enough time.

I had a friend once who would just mither about when he should have been out the door ages ago - and I hate when people know what time they're supposed to be leaving the next day but don't get everything prepared the night before and leave late because they're still getting ready to leave when they should be leaving.  :facepalm:

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 12:18:03 PM »
It's always good to assume that something unexpected will happen and give yourself an extra ~10 minutes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »
It's always good to assume that something unexpected will happen and give yourself an extra ~10 minutes.

I always give myself 10 to 20 minutes extra.

If I know I can leave at 12 and be at the train station by quarter past then i'll give myself half an hour to get there.

I went to see a comedian once and people were arriving late and their excuse was " Traffic " and he mocks them saying " Ooh - we didn't expect OTHER cars to be on the road ! "

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »
I am.  It's not so bad as what I voted, but still too often to say only sometimes.  It goes in spurts, always late for awhile then never late for awhile.  Not hard to differentiate when which is which, though, it's all about how I'm feeling about myself.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
Yeah, I'm always the early arriver. 

Interestingly, DTF's fans seem to be universally on time, while DT is one of the tardier bands I've seen live on a regular basis. They're not one of the 40 minute late groups, but they're often 10 minutes or so late.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »
It is pretty annoying when people are always late, and just have that as a sort-of built-in excuse. My best friend is like that. He has a 1 year old now, so it is understandably tough to get out the door, but he's been like this since we were in high school. Now if I want to do something with him, I suggest a meeting time of 30 minutes prior to when I would normally suggest, so that when he is late, he is on-time as I had planned in my schedule.

Same thing with my wife. We suggest a time, I am ready by then, she is not, I start playing on the Wii, she comes down and asks “Why are you playing a game?” I say “Cause I was ready 20 minutes ago and got tired of just sitting here.” You know how long it takes you to put on make-up and do your hair... you've been doing it for decades. So now I do the same ol’ ‘suggest a time that is earlier so she is ready when we actually should be ready.”

I also have a friend I do this to. If we are meeting up to drive across town for a hockey game I'll tell him to meet us at 5pm, fully knowing we won't be leaving until 5:30.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »
Engineer Montgomery Scott does the same thing.

Scotty - we need warp drive !!!  :o
Ah - i'll try my best captain - but I canna promise anything in less than 4 hours. :-[

2 hours later : LOL I ONLY NEEDED TWO HOURS  :biggrin:

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »
I try to be on time always. I've learned that "To be on time is to be early." If that means leaving early to get there early, I do it. I'm okay with the occasional being a few minutes tardy, but being late without giving prior notice or otherwise disrupting whatever work is going on is usually a black mark in my book, especially if it happen repeatedly.

Which is not to say I haven't been lateever, just that I appreciate it when people call if they are going to run late.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 12:54:41 PM »
It makes my blood boil when people say "I'm always late" ... What their really saying is "I'm an asshole who is aware they suck with time, but I'm going to continue to tell you to meet at a certain time and never, ever be ready".

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »
I can't vote because I am never late for anything.  Ever.  And no, I'm not kidding.  I am, literally, never late.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »
I can't vote because I am never late for anything.  Ever.  And no, I'm not kidding.  I am, literally, never late.

Dude. Same here. I am 5 minutes early to everything at the latest. I have worked at the same place for seven years. I have clocked in late one time, and it's because my timing belt went on my way in. Even so, I was only 15 minutes late  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 01:09:20 PM »
I'm almost always in time, and I make sure I get where I need to be early.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »
I'm never late.  Nor am I early.  I arrive precisely when I mean to.  :hat
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:23:46 PM by Ryzee »

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 01:23:15 PM »
People that are always late annoy me too. I probably leave too much time in most cases, when it's not always necessary.

Strange that people who always show up late seem to be everywhere but almost everyone on this forum is someone who's nearly always on time.

Although this is one of those questions where almost everyone will say they are nearly always on time, even if they're exactly the type of people that others are complaining about.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 01:28:21 PM »
It just occurred to me that now that the weather's cold I'm almost always late for work, but that doesn't really count. There's no difference between dragging in at 8:50 or 9:10 here, so we all just kind of show up somewhere close to our normal times. I was just considering things where I've agreed or am expected to arrive at a certain time. If my boss told me to get here at 8:45, I'd be here at 8:40.

This applies to the hourly employees, as well.  If they show up late one morning, they'll just make it up during the rest of the pay period.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »
Yeah Barto I'm late to work every now and then now that I think about it too.  Not late late, but technically past my 8am start time.  I've got a bit of a commute, and L.A. traffic can be a motherfuck sometimes.  Shit happens.  Generally I get in somewhere between 7:50-8 though. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »
This thread seems to show a direct link between being on time and liking prog.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 01:42:01 PM »
This thread seems to show a direct link between being on time and liking prog.
In an ironic twist, prog as a genre changes time constantly.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
I am one of those people who will leave 20 minutes early for something if it is 10 minutes away, just so I am not late; I hate being late for anything. 

This.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.