Author Topic: The 2013 Oscars Thread v.McFarlane  (Read 7384 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The 2013 Oscars Thread v.McFarlane
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 02:24:11 PM »
For the most part, McFarlane did a good job. That whole Shatner segment was pretty god-awful, though. Take that away and it would've been great.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »
When Shatner showed up I was really hoping MacFarlane would sing his rendition of Rocket Man, that would have been so awesome.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:48 AM »
William Shatner is Captain Kirk.

Seth is primarily famous for making cartoons filled with toilet humour and a film filled with toilet humour.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »
MacFarlane is an incredibly talented voice actor, creative animator, great comedian, decent singer and a director of a funny light movie that only has one toilet joke btw heh. I'd rather be famous for being MacFarlane with all due respect to Shatner, who by the way has done a lot more than being Kirk.

On a different note I was hoping everybody would indulge me for a second as to why DiCaprio was not nominated for that Best Supporting Actor award, I was thinking yesterday while watching bits of Django Unchained that I really was way more impressed with DiCaprio's performance than anybody else in the movie, it could be just me but then I remember last time I felt baffled about why a worthy performance wasn't nominated was Bruno Ganz not getting nominated for best actor for Der Untergang, which I thought was a truly exceptional performance in every aspect, could it be that certain characters are unlikely to be nominated or awarded by the academy just to avoid glorifying it? If so then it's a pretty twisted dumb logic yet I don't rule it out cause it does sound like a way very old people would think and that's what the academy is made of. Also worth mentioning that Der Untergang was nominated for Best Foreign movie in 2004.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2013, 08:15:02 AM »
He's also dating Emilia Clarke, so yep, it's pretty good to be MacFarlane right about now/
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »
...could it be that certain characters are unlikely to be nominated or awarded by the academy just to avoid glorifying it?

There have been plenty of 'evil' characters who have been nominationed for, or won, Oscars. Heath Ledger and Javier Bardem, just recently. Ralph Feinnes(?) for that guy in Schindler's List was about as evil as they come and he was nominated. I get your point, but I think even the academy can differentiate glorification of a character and honoring an actor.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'