Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 77167 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:24:24 AM »
Since fellow DTF'er BlackInk suggested this here in the respective subforum, but never replied, I'm just going to go ahead and start it; the top 20 films/movies thread. Although I'm not exactly a fan of the cluttering of Top X threads for random artists, doing this with films is slightly different in my opinion. I have had my list ready for quite some time and would like to share it and have others share their lists as well, so we can all (maybe) find out new films. I realise there's a movie thread, in which I seldom (if ever) post, but this is just a different approach. I'll be starting my top 20 list somewhat later today, after I get some initial write-ups done and if there appears to be interest. If you want in as well, just let me know and I will add you to the waiting list.

If anything like this isn't allowed, just take it down, but the question has been opened in the Suggestions forum without many replies, so I figured it would be okay just to start ahead.

Done or currently doing:

- Elite (Page 1)
- Scorpion (Page 4)
- BlackInk (Page 6)
- Destiny of Chaos (Page 9)
- kári (Page 11)
- snapple (Page 13)
- senecadawg2 (Page 15)
- Accelerando (Page 17)
- masterthes (Page 20)
- jingle.boy (Page 23; UNFINISHED, will finish at a later time)
- toro (Page 25)

UP NEXT:

- theliloutkast
- GuineaPig
- ariich
- tapsmiled
- Mister Gold
- aprilethereal
- Outcrier
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:19:03 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:32:43 AM »
Following, and put me up. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:54:07 AM »
You got it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:57:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure this thread existed before, I even remember seeing Jackie's and Lat's top movies. But still, great idea to bring it back, I've been watching lots of movies lately and would like other people's recommendations so I'll be following
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:04:32 AM »
I want to do one but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time in January. I'll do one later. :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:26:57 AM »
Awesome, thank you Elite for taking care of this.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
I'd like to do this too. I might only do a Top 10 though, if that's okay.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
I own well over 500 movies but am completely terrible at making top anything lists for......anything. I can usually give you a top 3 or so, but then the rest are hard to prioritize.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline masterthes

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »
Join flickchart.com It makes you chose between two movies and eventually, you'll get a ranking list of your favorite movies

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 01:47:42 PM »
I own well over 500 movies but am completely terrible at making top anything lists for......anything. I can usually give you a top 3 or so, but then the rest are hard to prioritize.
How is 3 easier than 20? :)

Online Adami

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »

Well I can tell which I like the very best. But Do I like number 9 more than number 10? I dunno.

You know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
I was just updating my list earlier today. Please add me.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 03:27:30 PM »
Put this guy down

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »
Got you both. I will start mine tomorrow!
Squ

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »

Well I can tell which I like the very best. But Do I like number 9 more than number 10? I dunno.

You know?
I know. :) But it would be way easier for me to say my 20 favourite movies than my top 3. :)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »
Either way it's hard  :(

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 03:54:41 PM »
That is true.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 03:55:37 PM »
Elite is gonna have all 3 Transformers movies in his Top 3.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »
Elite is gonna have all 3 Transformers movies in his Top 3.

Yeah, you wait for it! :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »
Doing this I realised I suck at doing write-ups for films. Hope you don't mind, there will only be twenty and yes, you may be spoiled.

So, to start of this list I will first say that I haven't seen as many films as some people here, mainly because of my age, but also because I don't watch films as often as I used to. Furthermore, I'm not a fan of action films, (romantic) comedies or dramas, so my list won't really contain any of those. My list may be very boring, because it contains many well known films, but probably not in the order you'd expect them. I'm a huge fan of psychological thrillers and films with good character development or films that are all out weird. Also, I'm not a film elitist, so I haven't seen *that* many films, but I think I've seen enough in order to judge them. I rarely watch films more than once, because that doesn't really interest me, unless I really like it. So; this list is based on the impression it gave me; if a films gives me something to think about or stays in my head for a long time, that's usually a good thing. Enough rambling; to give you a taste, here's a couple of honourable mentions that didn't make my list:

- Trainspotting (1996)
- Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
- 2001: A Space Oddyssey (1968)
- Goodfellas (1990)
- Jurassic Park (1993, had to give this a mention, it goes all the way back to my dinosaur-loving childhood)
- The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009, similarly, this is the funniest and most random film I have ever seen and therefore it deserves a mention)

And then the actual list, starting out with 2 at a time:

20. What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)

Directed by: Lasse Hallström
Featuring: Johnny Depp & Leonardo DiCaprio

Also known as the film in which DiCaprio plays a little idiot (yes, I'm serious). This film struck me because of the human-ness of it, as it tells a story that could very well be real. Young adult Gilbert (played by Johnny Depp) has to take care of his morbidly obese mother who's so fat she can't even exit the house and of his little brother Arnie (played by DiCaprio) who's mentally disabled, while he also lives with sisters who seemingly don't care about anything and finds the love of his life in a girl who's temporarily stuck in the town, after having had a relationship with a married woman who's husband died somewhere halfway. Doesn't sound very interesting, does it? It did for me, because I could, for some reason, identify myself very well with the main character, because of the way the story is told. He goes through so much shit and suffers it and soaks it up, but somewhere down the road, it obviously goes wrong. Being the person that he is, a caring, loving young man, he lets the guilt take the better of him after punishing and hitting his younger brother for something relatively insignificant. The film actually ends on a high note for me, because at the end, the mother dies, but can't leave the house: because of her weight it would take a crane to take her down, so the siblings decide to burn the house, symbolically destroying the place the made Gilbert's a life a living hell. Or something like that; describing films apparently isn't really for me, but if you want a more thorough story, here's the wikipedia article. The films is a lot better than I just described, at least in my opinion.

19. Melancholia (2011)

Directed by: Lars von Trier
Featuring: Kirsten Dunst

Far and away the most recent film on my entire list and probably also the least known one. The film is a weird one, consisting of two parts, around equal in length, but very different in content. The film tells the story of two sisters, Justine and Claire. Claire lives in a huge family estate with her rich husband John. The first part of the film (titled 'Justine') shows the wedding party of Justine and newly wed husband Michael in this family estate, to which they arrive late. During the course of the evening, various things happen to frustate Justine and by the end of the night, her newly wed leaves her. Of notice is the joyfulness and speed of the montage here, very different from the second part. The second part (titled 'Claire' is very bleak and very slow, it almost drags along, as Justine is depressed by the events and now stays with Claire and John, but here we also learn why she was the way she was in the first part; a rogue planet is moving towards Earth, set on a fly-by, narrowly missing Earth. John, an amateur astronomer is looking forward to this event, despite there being different theories on what the planet will do. Again, this sounds stupid in text, but the film is way more awesome when watched in real. Especially interesting is that the character roles from Justine and Claire switch, as the story progresses. Justine because the stronger woman, while Claire loses all the will to live. It takes some time to sit through this, especially the second part, which kind-of drags along, but this is a film very different from any other end-of-the-world films and it's told from a much more personal perspective.

--

more tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:35:38 PM by Elite »
Squ

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: Elite (Page 1)
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
Goodfellas as an honourable mention is heresy. :angry: (sorry, JMO - you know I lofes ya Rich :heart )

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »
Too bad Good Fellas didn't make the big list! I haven't seen Gilbert Grape but I hear great things about it!

Online Adami

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
What's Eating Johnny Depp is a great movie.

But better than Goodfellas? 2001?

I dunno...........

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »
Melancholia! :hefdaddy :heart I love that movie.

Online Adami

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »
Melancholia! :hefdaddy :heart I love that movie.

Melancholia was probably one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen in my life. I just don't know why people thought it was ultra depressing. I think futility and so forth were much more accurate terms than depressing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »
Oh yeah, Melancholia is beautiful for sure, but I think the depressing part you are talking about was exactly the fact that it was so real, something that people tend to ignore, but Melancholia puts you in a situation where you have to think about "what would I do if I knew that the end of the world is imminent and any effort to stop it is, ultimately, futile?" I can understand why that depresses or scares the hell out of people, even though I was - I won't say unaffected, but less effective than most other people I watched it with.

Online Adami

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
Oh yeah, Melancholia is beautiful for sure, but I think the depressing part you are talking about was exactly the fact that it was so real, something that people tend to ignore, but Melancholia puts you in a situation where you have to think about "what would I do if I knew that the end of the world is imminent and any effort to stop it is, ultimately, futile?" I can understand why that depresses or scares the hell out of people, even though I was - I won't say unaffected, but less effective than most other people I watched it with.

I dunno. See as far as Von Trier goes, Dancer in the Dark is a depressing movie. It just destroys your heart. Melancholia didn't really do that, it just kind of make you feel like life was pointless, and....melancholic. I think the name itself sums up the movie better than the reviews of "cried so much, so depressing" etc. I was actually disappointed the first time I watched it cause I was expecting it to make me depressed (and Lars hasn't failed on making me feel what he wants me to feel before). So when I discover the movie is more about hopelessness than depression etc, it took me another viewing to view the movie without the perception that it's a depressing movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »
I agree about the hopelessness part, but for many people, that can be the cause for depression, so I would say that it's still closely linked - for some people, at least.

I haven't seen Dancer in the Dark, I'll keep that in mind if I'm in the need of some soul-destroying depressive stuff. Though Von Trier has yet to disappoint me as well, so I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Online Adami

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 05:17:11 PM »
I agree about the hopelessness part, but for many people, that can be the cause for depression, so I would say that it's still closely linked - for some people, at least.

I haven't seen Dancer in the Dark, I'll keep that in mind if I'm in the need of some soul-destroying depressive stuff. Though Von Trier has yet to disappoint me as well, so I'm kinda looking forward to it.

See I guess that's the difference, it's about hopelessness and depression, but it didn't make me feel depressed. It made me feel like everything is pointless, which is quite different though similar I guess.

Requiem for a Dream, Million Dollar Baby, and Dancer in the Dark are depressing. They're not about depression, but they make YOU feel depressed. A movie about depression doesn't necessarily make a depressing movie.

But now it sounds like I'm bashing the movie, which I'm not. As I said it's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen and really thought Kirsten Dunst deserved the Oscar. I guess I just let the hype get to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
Oh, I totally get your point. I was just arguing why it could make people feel depressed as well. I wouldn't really call it depressing, either. Though it is extremely beautiful and touching.

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
Oh, I totally get your point. I was just arguing why it could make people feel depressed as well. I wouldn't really call it depressing, either. Though it is extremely beautiful and touching.

Indeed.

-bro hug-
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »
-bro hug back-

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »
Melancholia would probably be in my bottom 20. I hated that thing. It was so intensly depressing and nothing else, it literally sickened me for days.

Oh yes, and I think it'd be best to put me a bit lower on the waiting list, I realized yesterday I need more time on this since I'm not home for a while.

EDIT: ^ Also for the reason that the process of suggestion>reality went a whole lot faster than I thought it would ^^
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:08:30 PM by BlackInk »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
Awesome idea! Add me
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »
Add me to this! Im so in