Author Topic: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Stick a fork in this .... It's done!  (Read 47517 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Stick a fork in this .... It's done!
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
When I signed up to do the second edition of my Top 50, I figured I'd be starting in early 2013.  Nailed that timing perfectly, and now I'm back for another taste (which by the way is a pretty good album from Helix ... For the 80s/90s pure rock enthusiasts – Coz, you’d dig it).  But I digress already.  Squirrel!

Much like Mason's top 50 (would you finish the fucking thing already?!?) this list is going to be (to some extent) on the unknown/obscure side of the tracks. What this list is going to be is my top 50 albums by BANDS that I discovered because of, or after joining, DTF - which was just before the release of Octavarium in early 2005. So for instance, the fact that Clockwork Angels came out after I joined DTF is irrelevant, since I already knew Rush.  However, because I discovered Spock's Beard after joining DTF, any album of their's is fair game.  Got it?  If not, who the fuck cares?  Not I, and you shouldn't either. 

I will point to five specific DTF members that have heavily influenced this list - they are directly responsible for over half (29 to be specific) of this list. Two of them I often spend my Wednesday evenings with, one is in a time zone 15 hours apart from mine, so I don’t get a lot of direct interaction (:sadpanda:), one never fails to impress me with musical recommendations (and cook up something new for me on a regular basis) and one I have forged a musical bond with to the extent that I have discovered new heights to what music means to me.

Like my first top 50, there ain't a lot of variety here – this list will be about as diverse as a ‘60s Klan convention. I know what I like, and I stick to it.  I said it to open my first Top 50, and it's worth repeating.  You won't find any bands/albums that require the words "post" or "core" to describe their style/genre. This time around, the only thing missing is classic and glam rock.  It's gonna be pretty much Melodic and Prog ... Ranging from pure prog, to some pretty heavy metal.  If that kinda music doesn't float your boat, no sweat. Just want everyone to know what they’re in for. 

That said, here be 50 awesome albums that - for those with my similar musical tastes - you should know, or know of. If you don't know an album, I hope you give a song or two a try ( I’m gonna list my ‘Tracks to Try’ right off the bat with one of them linked to either Grooveshark or YT.  Have a listen in the background as you read the writeup if it’s something new to you.).  Some of these albums and bands get a decent amount of discussion/appreciation already, but most are unheralded around here.  I tried to keep it to 1 album per band (as Mason did), but there were a few acts that had albums just too damned good to leave off. 

Hopefully this generates questions, comments, feedback and discussion - that’s the best part about these lists.  And you know me... every thread is a chat thread.  I’m going to try and keep my write-ups crisp and concise (at least until the top 20 or so where I start to get a little verbose), so if I don’t address something you may be interested in knowing, feel free to ask a question.

Later, my honorable mentions, and the real deal starts tomorrow to kick off 2013.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:31:55 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Forward by Jingle.boy
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »
Well, I guess I'll follow this.

Better be some Gown on this! :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »

I'll buy an "A" Pat.   :biggrin:  And having been a Gowan fan long before I joined DTF, Larry doesn't qualify.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:22:35 PM »
cool, can't wait!

So from your preamble, I take it you don't want this list to replace the one that I already have in the DTF top 50 database?  This is more of a supplementary list?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
I had the first three Helix albums. Deep Cuts The Knife is one of the greatest 80's anthems.
A friend of mine wrote a fan letter to their bass player and the guy actually sent a hand written response.

Love the title track of their first album:
"Sure having lots of fun
The Devil's work is never done
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked"
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
You're off to a great start already and you've not even posted any bands - I'm in!  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
Following. :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »

I'll buy an "A" Pat.   :biggrin:  And having been a Gowan fan long before I joined DTF, Larry doesn't qualify.

Alright I'll still follow.  Geez. :lol
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:22:16 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »
Following! Nice theme!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
Right there with you Chad. Looking forward to it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »
Too bad I already know no. 1. :P

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 01:30:34 PM »
Definitely following, I like Jingle.boy's taste. My wallet is going to be much lighter by the end of this one  :corn

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 01:31:22 PM »
This will be good!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
Too bad I already know no. 1. :P

Yes you (and at least three others) do.  But, that leaves 49 other surprised now, doesn't it?

cool, can't wait!

So from your preamble, I take it you don't want this list to replace the one that I already have in the DTF top 50 database?  This is more of a supplementary list?

Correct-o-mundo.  This is just another reason to talk and write about the music I love - and for some of you, separate you from your money.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 02:01:46 PM »
I'll follow this list.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 03:34:22 PM »
You know, following and shit.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 03:13:15 AM »
I think I could guess quite a few albums that are going to be on this list just off the top of my head.  I'm really looking forward to this, but damn you Chad for opening another avenue for me to feed my addiction.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 05:43:10 AM »
FOLLOWING
I love beautiful things.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 06:33:22 AM »
I think I could guess quite a few albums that are going to be on this list just off the top of my head.

Yes, you could... you're responsible for a handful of them.

I'm really looking forward to this, but damn you Chad for opening another avenue for me to feed my addiction.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Four-play/short-time
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
I really suck at delivering on expectations.  Gotta fix that.  Ok, let's do this.

First, the honorable mentions.  I ended up with 54 albums on my top 50 list, so I’d be remiss to omit any mention from these.  These four JUST missed the cut.

54) The Anabasis – Back From Being Gone (2011)

Six months ago, this album would’ve cracked the list.  When Barry first presented his album to us, I found it was pretty damned impressive.  I’ll admit, I was initially a much bigger fan of the music than the vocals.  Ironic now, since the reason that this got bumped to honorable mention status is that I find PelleK’s voice to work so much better with a heavier style of music (more to come on that).

53) Magic Pie – Motion’s of Desire (2005)

Given to me by King during my Roulette last May, this too was initially on the list, but bumped for some very recent additions.  Norwegian band with three releases now.  Great prog, reminiscent of the pioneer’s of the 70s.  Very Spock’s Beard-like in how they’ve modernized that style.  Dude even has a bit of a Neal Morse vibe in his voice.  Great solo’s (keys and guitar), and wicked vocal melodies.

52) Ocean’s of Night – Domain (2011)

Proof that great music can be found every and anywhere.  This ‘band’ is the brainchild of one guy (Scott Mosher) out of Los Angeles.  Very talented (and hilarious) individual - he’s a self described “independent self-financed musician for over 20 years, a professional graphic artist since 1997, and an allroundniceguy his entire life”.  This album is a very heavy keyboard led prog hidden gem.  Imagine Savatage, but keyboards leading the melodies... and with vocals handled by Scott Oliva, and as the name would suggest, he sounds like he’d fit in perfectly with Savatage/TSO (although to my knowledge, he’s unrelated to Criss and Jon.

51) Eumeria – Rebel Mind (2011)

Damn... what great prog-METAL.  Heavy as hell, and a very talented group of guys.  Wicked riffs, impressive solo’s, and great vocals are what these guys are about.  My only knock on their debut is that sometimes it feels like they’re getting way too technical in their musicality... just because they can.  Some of the arrangements seem disjointed, and rarely do they adopt the approach of less is more.  On this album, more is definitely more.  Absolute prog-technical ear candy here.  Looking forward to a more refined second release from them.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 08:48:14 PM »
I can see we are already on the same wavelength. Eumeria - Rebel Mind just showed up in my mail box today. Haven't had a chance to spin it yet, but I'm dying too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »
I'm 0 for 4 in regards to knowing these ones.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »
That Eumeria album is great.  I hear lots of Symphony X influence in their sound.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 03:32:36 AM »
Like you Chad these albums were brought to my attention here except for the Anabasis, which I've yet to hear. I'll go have a listen later. I quite liked each of the other three but don't feel the pull to listen to them much. 

The Eumeria lost it's shine real fast- the last time I listened to it I just thought they were trying to be DT but missing the point entirely. There were no songs, just widdling and generic prog metal chug-chugga, chug- chugga chug. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 03:40:28 AM »
I'm with Paul on Eumeria.  I liked their sound a lot and the title track is amazing, but the album would have been a lot better if they focused more on songwriting as opposed to technical ability.  I still need to check out The Anabisis, and Ocean's Night sounds like something I might enjoy too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 05:14:28 AM »
I think we're all on the same page with respect to Eumeria.  Big first impression, but didn't hold on.  Kade, I think you'd reall dig Ocean's of Night. Try https://www.oceansofnight.com/music/domain/dontlooktome.mp3. He streams a lot of his music. https://www.oceansofnight.com/music/domain/instrumentsoffear.mp3 is also really good.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 11:37:41 AM »
Quote from: jingle.boy
I really suck at delivering on expectations.

I hope your wife doesn't agree on this.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 11:40:07 AM »
Following  :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »

:zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »

We rarely agree on anything!  :neverusethis:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 12:12:02 PM »
Nice Boston reference, cock-tease.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »
Nice Boston reference, cock-tease.

Boston debut was on my first list.

Do I need to post a tl;dr read version of my OP?  If so, this list will be albums from bands that I've discovered since 2005.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 12:56:56 PM »
At this rate, it will be 2014 when we find out who they are. :neverusethis:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »
At this rate, it will be 2014 when we find out who they are. :neverusethis:

Just cuz you're on vacation doesn't mean the rest of the world is.  Patience grasshopper.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
Chad, I never knew you liked that Magic Pie so much!!  Awesome!

I never heard the other two so I will Spotify them!!