Author Topic: DT album ranking  (Read 208735 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: DT album ranking
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »
Tier 1 - Images & Words, Awake

Tier 2 - When Dream and Day Unite,  Falling into Infinity, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Tier 3 - Scenes from a Memory, Octavarium, Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Tier 4 - Train of Thought

Tier 5 - Systematic Chaos
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »
Hello, it's my first post here... I decided to start from the simplest thread :P

Well, some of people who know me, know I have a quite different order than most...

'Masterpiece' level: 1. Scenes From a Memory - the most awesome album I've ever heard for now. Perfect balance between heavy and light, light and dark, atmosphere and technicality, lyrics and instrumental. Great concept made out of two simple stories... this album is simply made of perfection. And finally, there's my all-time favourite: Home.
'Excellent' level: 2. Awake - sorry, but no matter what, I've always loved it much more than I&W from the older albums. It's much more mature, darker, better-written and much more varied. Also, a progression in technical skills can be heard. Definitely doesn't feel old and this is the 'young DT' at their best.
3a. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - their most 'epic' album for now in every possible way. 6 songs and nearly 100 minutes, the only album without any single-oriented song, and the huge suite which has the whole DT spirit in it - from the ballad parts, through the more epic parts, ending at heavy, metal craziness. I love both CDs and this album as a whole.
3b. Systematic Chaos - sad to see I'm in a definite minority in this... I see lots of people hating this album, and I really don't know the reasons. There's not a single song on the album I dislike, every one has something good and interesting about it, and on this album they took a more daring step forward and experimented more than usual. There's the huge, even a bit "power-metallish" In The Presence of Enemies (having, in my opinion, one of the best James' vocal performances ever), melancholic Repentance (I can really feel the emotion in this song, and I love the minimalistic way in which the instruments they used, but managing to achieve the maximum effect... especially the electric guitar in the background during the choir part), insane The Dark Eternal Night (this song is really hilarious and fun), and there are my two favourites - Constant Motion (yes, in my opinion it's one of the best "short" songs they've ever created, and it's a real killer live) and The Ministry of Lost Souls. In my opinion - a great, consistent album.
'Great' level: 4. Octavarium - well, I definitely have a kind of sentiment for this album, as this is the one that got me into DT. It's certainly one of the lighter ones, but with style. Octavarium, Sacrificed Sons and The Root of All Evil are one of their best ever imo, and the album as a whole has a lot of strong points and very good ideas. I like the 'light and happy' songs less (The Answer Lies Within and I Walk Beside You), but can't say they're bad. An album I'd recommend to someone to start listening to DT from.
5. Train of Thought - darkness, metal and technicality. They wanted to show they can be great in 'pure' metal, and they succeeded. In a few moments, some parts are too long, but the album as a whole is a very strong one, with Vacant and In The Name of God being among my DT favourites.
'Very good' level: 6. Images & Words - ...well, many of you will probably think I rated it too low. But although I definitely understand the historical significance of this album (there would be no SFAM, no Awake... well, there would be nothing without it), personally I consider it to be weaker than a lot of people consider it to be. First, it lacks the variety DT have always been capable of - yes, it's definitely varied, but to a much smaller extent than any of their later albums. Second, I kind of don't feel the strength here, the album seems a bit laid back. Third, it's simpler than any of their later works. Wait for Sleep and Learning to Live are definitely awesome, with Pull Me Under not far behind, but I just can't appreciate this album as much as a lot of people do. Sorry.
7. Falling Into Infinity - inconsistent. That's the worst weakness of this album. Some songs are truly great (Peruvian Skies, Lines In The Sand [CIM version is even better], Just Let Me Breathe, Trial of Tears), some are good, and then... there are some with either a bit of wasted potential, or just not good enough (New Millenium, You Not Me [pretty cool riffs, but killed by trying to make it radio-friendly], Hollow Years [though the new, extended version is plain awesome]). Though, there's also Raise The Knife from Score... after hearing this song, I definitely don't doubt that this album could be much better if DT could do it all by themselves instead of being forced into doing anything (and I'm thinking about buying the FII Demos).
'Good' level: 8. When Dream And Day Unite - the difficult beginning. It can be heard that they are DT, with all their ideas and creativity, but still needing a bit of a final touch and more experience. Also, the production definitely doesn't sound good anymore. However - still a lot of fun to listen to, anyway.

That's all... sorry, I got a bit carried away. :)

I haven't added Black Clouds and Silver Linings for now for a reason, I'll write more about it in thread dedicated to it, but what I can say for now is... it belongs to the 'excellent' level. I'll give it more time though, for a colder perspective.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »
Thats quite the comprehensive and well thought out first post.... ;D

Welcome aboard...... :yarr

Offline Neccy60

• Official Boards of Canada Fanperson
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2009, 04:56:53 PM »
Dammit, Darkes, go back to Last.fm, we don't need your kind here >=O

Quote from: axeman90210
Mr. Neccy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »
1. Awake
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Images & Words
4. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
5. Scenes From a Memory
6. Octavarium
7. Train of Thought
8. Falling Into Infinity
9. Systematic Chaos
10. When Dream and Day Unite

And just because there are some way far down on the list doesn't mean I don't love them. I find a straight through listen through any DT album after a while of not playing it wholly refreshing.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2009, 06:31:24 PM »
I love you too, Neccy :lol

Thanks for the welcome :)

Btw, I just realised I missed A Change of Seasons... will add later.

Offline j

« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2009, 07:36:52 PM »
'Very good' level: 6. Images & Words - [lies and slander]...but I just can't appreciate this album as much as a lot of people do. Sorry.

Apology rejected.

Just kidding, welcome.  :biggrin:

There's another dude somewhere around here who ranks I&W last.  You guys should start a club.

-J

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2009, 08:25:06 PM »
Rudess era is my favorite, so I may be a bit biased.

1. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
2. Octavarium
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Train of Thought
5. Images and Words
6. Awake
7. Falling Into Infinity
8. Systematic Chaos
9. SFAM
10 WDADU

I know, "THE HERETIC RANKS SFAM REALLY LOW!!1".

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »
1. Scenes From a Memory
2. Images & Words
3. Awake
4. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
5. Train of Thought
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
7. Falling Into Infinity
8. Octavarium
9. Systematic Chaos
11. The Count of Tuscany Pt 2. Improved with Age

Offline Tuneman

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
1. Scenes from a Memory
2. Octavarium
3. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
4. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance
5.Systematic Chaos
6. Train of Thought
7. Images and Words
8. Falling into Infinity
9. Awake
10. A Change of Seasons

1000. When Dream and Day Unite... DT with that other dude = suck

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2009, 09:35:26 PM »
There's another dude somewhere around here who ranks I&W last.  You guys should start a club.

-J

These guys should be arrested for this big crime  :biggrin:

Rank Killer  :millahhhh
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2009, 03:48:36 AM »
My God, SeRoX, chill. It's not the end of the world.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Blackened Justice

« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2009, 04:07:37 AM »
1. SDOIT
2. Awake
3. Octavarium
4. SFOAM
5. IAW
6. ACOS
7. BC&SL
8. WDADU
9. TOT
10. SC
11. FII

I'm probably ranking FII lower than it should be, I haven't listened to it in quite some time.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2009, 06:27:15 AM »
'Very good' level: 6. Images & Words - [lies and slander]...but I just can't appreciate this album as much as a lot of people do. Sorry.

Apology rejected.

Just kidding, welcome.  :biggrin:

There's another dude somewhere around here who ranks I&W last.  You guys should start a club.

-J
:biggrin: Though, I've never said I rank I&W last and I never will. It's definitely a very good album, but like I've said - in my opinion not as good as it's generally considered to be. It's my opinion though. :P

Offline Themire

• Your hopes are my games !
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2009, 07:11:07 AM »
1. Scenes from a Memory
2. Train of Thought
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance
4. Awake
5. Black Clouds and Silver Linings }
6. A Change of Seasons             } These for me are almost equal, but i had to choose.
7. Octavarium                          }
8. Systematic Chaos                 }
9. Images and Words
10. Falling into Infinity
Beneath me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2009, 07:38:21 AM »
My ranking as it is now. (will probably change in the future)

1. Images And Words
2. Awake
3. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
4. Systematic Chaos
5. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
6. Metropolis Part2: Scenes From A Memory
7. Train Of Thought
8. Falling Into Infinity
9. Octavarium
10. When Dream And Day Unite
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:26:50 PM by Zantera »

Offline MonteMike

• My toy!
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2009, 05:47:41 PM »
Favorite to least:
1.  Train Of Thought
2.  Octavarium
3.  Systematic Chaos
4.  Black Clouds & Silver Linings
5.  Images And Words
6.  A Change Of Seasons
7.  Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
8.  Falling Into Infinity
9.  Awake
10. Scenes From A Memory

As you can see I really have liked what they have been doing for the last 6 years.   :tup

Offline julien

« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2009, 06:32:17 PM »
1-systematic chaos

2-train of thought

3-black cloud and silver lining

4-image and words

5-scenes from a memory

6-octavarium

7-awake

8-six degrees of inner turbulence

9-falling into infinity

10-when dream and day unit

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2009, 06:34:55 PM »
1-systematic chaos

2-train of thought

4-image and words

5-scenes from a memory

6-octavarium

7-awake

9-falling into infinity

I do believe we have another Wrath on our hands, people.

Are you new to dream theater? That's what your list suggests

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »
People need to learn how to capitalize.

1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2. Awake
4. Scenes From a Memory
5. Images & Words
6. Octavarium
7. Train of Thought
8. Falling Into Infinity
9. Systematic Chaos
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline julien

« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »
1-systematic chaos

2-train of thought

4-image and words

5-scenes from a memory

6-octavarium

7-awake

9-falling into infinity

yes sure systematic is my favourite dt album and i dont know why people doesnt like thus album

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2009, 08:56:39 PM »
1-systematic chaos

2-train of thought

4-image and words

5-scenes from a memory

6-octavarium

7-awake

9-falling into infinity

yes sure systematic is my favourite dt album and i dont know why people doesnt like thus album
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
How many times would you say you've listened to the other albums?

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2009, 09:17:46 PM »
Or, umm.. ANY album?

Offline Chagny

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2009, 11:17:49 PM »
1. Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes from a Memory
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Images and Words
5. Octavarium
6. Train of Thought
7. Awake
8. Falling Into Infinity
9. When Dream and Day Unite
10. Systematic Chaos

All amazing albums, a REALLY close list. Only the first 4 are concrete, all the rest kind of tied for 5th and 6th.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2009, 05:27:31 AM »
Well, that someone likes SC the most doesn't mean he's a newbie/stupid/whatever. I ranked SC 3rd myself and I hold to my opinion, I can understand if it's someone's favourite as well.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »
Well, that someone likes SC the most doesn't mean he's a newbie/stupid/whatever. I ranked SC 3rd myself and I hold to my opinion, I can understand if it's someone's favourite as well.
Look, I know you're new here and everything, so you probly don't know. But when SC is someone's fav, that really does mean they're new. I can't really think of any real veteran DT fans that have SC at least in their top 3. I mean yeah, I can understand it being someone's favorite, but only if that someone really has no experience with listening to really good music  :lol
And no one's calling him stupid except himself, you see his dropped letters really say something  :lol
But it's whatever

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2009, 10:25:14 AM »
I hope you were not writing that seriously? [And sorry, but I doubt you're a very veteran DT fan, after checking your profile. No offence meant in any way.]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:33:36 AM by Darkes7 »

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2009, 10:33:51 AM »
I hope you were not writing that seriously?
I was  :laugh:
I'm pretty sure the general consensus here is SC is definitely below the par of the other albums. People don't hate it or anything, that's not what I'm saying. But most people just realize it's DT catering to the tastes of a younger generation and commerically trying to appeal to a wider audience (or more narrow, depending on how you look at it) or at the very least DT not performing anywhere near they're capacity for awesomeness. I think ITPOE is pretty alright, some people love it, others despise it for its "dark master" sections  :lol

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
That the majority of people don't like it, doesn't mean the album is bad. The other way around it would mean Britney Spears is much more awesome than DT - compare the amount of fans. Stupid, eh?

Also, how is it trying to appeal to the younger generation? 25-minute In The Presence of Enemies? Very serious and difficult Repentance? 100% "DT-ish" Ministry of Lost Souls? Please. There are two songs on the album that are more 'radio-friendly', but they aren't any more radio friendly than the legendary and praised Pull Me Under or Another Day.

You don't like it, ok. But if someone likes it doesn't mean he's a newbie or something. (Ok, I agree his writing style is weird, but that's another issue.)

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2009, 11:01:14 AM »
That the majority of people don't like it, doesn't mean the album is bad. The other way around it would mean Britney Spears is much more awesome than DT - compare the amount of fans. Stupid, eh?

Also, how is it trying to appeal to the younger generation? 25-minute In The Presence of Enemies? Very serious and difficult Repentance? 100% "DT-ish" Ministry of Lost Souls? Please. There are two songs on the album that are more 'radio-friendly', but they aren't any more radio friendly than the legendary and praised Pull Me Under or Another Day.

You don't like it, ok. But if someone likes it doesn't mean he's a newbie or something. (Ok, I agree his writing style is weird, but that's another issue.)
:lol
Can you read?  :laugh: I'm saying it's not a bad album, and it has nothing to do with the number of fans who like it, and yes I realize that there will be people who really really like it. Also I never stated that people flat out don't like it. But that has nothing to do with the fact that most of if not all of real DT fans who know the band and appreciate the band most really don't like it as much as, say, Scenes or Awake. I've just happened to notice a lot of people new to DT who hold SC as their favorite will often and soon change it to something I believe is a bit more worthy.  I do think that with the release of BC&SL there will be a lot less people who feel that way. It appeals to a younger generation because of it's more straightforward metal sound and engineering, MP's "growling", etc. ITPoE isn't really that difficult to swallow. I really don't think that would have any way of detracting from the appeal of the album to new fans. But I wouldn't say Repentance is Serious and Difficult.  :lol  It's more like the boring chilled out younger sibling of the other 12 Step songs. I never said anything about radio friendly, and I don't think that radio playability is something teenage metalheads look for in new music. I think you're really making more of this than it deserves, and I'm just stating a fact in saying most  DT veterans here really don't enjoy SC as much as the newfound teenage fanboys that will probably change their opinion once they start really listening to the better (imo) albums.

and i see you added this  :lol
[And sorry, but I doubt you're a very veteran DT fan, after checking your profile. No offence meant in any way.]
Yeah, I'm def not, I've been a DT fan since a few months after the release of Octavarium, it was my favorite then. Just like SC was for newbs since it's release. But I had only Octavarium for a while, so I didn't really know what I was missing.  :lol My favorite now is tied between Scenes, Images, and Awake. I'm talking more about the people here on DTF who are veteran fans.  You know, we talk about these kinds of things a lot here. It's surprising. I know.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2009, 11:07:55 AM »
lol, looked over this
100% "DT-ish" Ministry of Lost Souls?
Personally I think The Ministry of Lost Souls is about 5 minutes of a real good DT song stuffed with 10 minutes of wankery, as we like to call it. I don't believe it's genuine DT and it's contrived and exorbitant to an annoying degree. If that's what you base your idea of "100% DT-ish" you need to have a good listen to SFAM or SDOIT or SOMETHIN  :lol

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »
I see that your only argument is still "majority doesn't like it", so I repeat what I said:

Consider creating some 'tr00 kvlt DT fans' group or something.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2009, 11:22:28 AM »
lol, looked over this
Personally I think The Ministry of Lost Souls is about 5 minutes of a real good DT song stuffed with 10 minutes of wankery, as we like to call it. I don't believe it's genuine DT and it's contrived and exorbitant to an annoying degree. If that's what you base your idea of "100% DT-ish" you need to have a good listen to SFAM or SDOIT or SOMETHIN  :lol

How is it not genuine DT? It is DT. It is their style. Like it or not, it is a DT song and represents them as well as many other song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2009, 11:29:40 AM »
I see that your only argument is still "majority doesn't like it", so I repeat what I said:

Consider creating some 'tr00 kvlt DT fans' group or something.
:rollin
I specifically said it's not that people don't like it. It's that the majority of people (yes, the majority, you can cry about it if you like) prefer the better albums! I Never said it was bad! You're just trying to make up an argument because you're bored or something. And it has nothing to do with if you "flipped around" the rule, popularity has to do with general musical taste, and general musical taste is subjective. On that big of a scale no music is better than any other music. You're extrapolating in a very wrong way and it's very annoying.  :lol It doesn't apply as people who prefer the other DT albums don't dislike SC. They merely like the others better and agree on their superiority to SC because people who's tastes make them inclined to enjoy SC or any DT album are the same tastes that allow them to understand the difference in quality of, say, any given 2 to 10 dream theater albums. Do you understand now?

lol, looked over this

How is it not genuine DT? It is DT. It is their style. Like it or not, it is a DT song and represents them as well as many other song.
Oh, Blobby. Yes, I understand it is "Genuine DT", and I do Like it, but I disagree on the idea that it represents them as well as any other song. Don't you think they went a little of on that extreme of an instrumental section? It really has nothing to do with the rest of the song, except this time (as opposed to, say, awesome examples like Metropolis or Sacrificed Sons) it goes on for what I believe to be far too long and I think statistically at the very least it's uncharacteristic of a "normal" DT song  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2009, 11:34:46 AM »
Well the instrumental section fitting is a matter of good/bad songwriting, but in itself, the song has many parts that represent DT's music fairly well. The instrumental section on its own is pretty typical DT stuff. I don't see anything uncharacteristic about it at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.