Author Topic: DT album ranking  (Read 210427 times)

Offline evz

Re: DT album ranking
« Reply #840 on: June 30, 2014, 07:11:39 PM »
Prefaced to say I've been listening since 92 when I first heard Pull Me Under on the radio.   I say this because I think the order in which I've heard things has had an influence on my rankings.  I heard I&W before WDADU, but everything since those 2 has been heard in chronological order (and on release day every time, lol)

1) Awake - just perfect.  so much atmosphere and feeling. I wouldn't change a single thing.
2) I&W - groundbreaking, and really is in a tie with Awake for #1.
3) DT12 - the return of the son of atmosphere and feeling!  I love the heavy use of effects and the way the songs actually progress - the way the second verse will differ from the first, etc.  I actually cried when I listened to this disc the first few times, my wife wondered what was wrong, but I was just so happy that they created this kind of music again.
4) ADTOE - a great return to form after (IMO) losing focus for a few albums. production not my favorite.  Bridges in the Sky is stellar.
5) SFAM - pretty amazing.  This album helped me get over FII.  :D
6) SDOIT - still great, but a little bit bloated at times.

this is where I start to get nitpicky.  Just my opinion, no better or worse than any one elses...

7) BC&SL - started to get back to what I love after my least favorite album (SC), but suffers vocally from MP's vocal influence and some pretty "meh" lyrics, and some parts drag on too long (TBOT).  Absolutely love JP's outro solo on TBOT and The Count of Tuscany musically is one of my favorites.
8) ToT - great for what it is, but missing the variety and atmosphere that defines DT for me.
9) WDADU - Some pretty cool songs dragged down by horrid production and not the greatest vocals.  Good energy keeps it from being on the bottom.
10) 8VM - The album flow is ruined by the song order, which I know was done because they are cycling through the keys, but jeez...  This album probably deserves to be ranked higher but oh well.
11) FII - a huge dismal disappointment after Awake.  Damn the record company for making them simplify! Does have some great moments like Trial of Tears, Hell's Kitchen, and Lines in the Sand, but otherwise lacking.  I wonder what many of these songs might have sounded like if they had had free reign.
12) SC - just a huge disappointment. No flow.  Just a bunch of songs, some of which are good, but many of which go on too long.  Plus has Prophets of War.  Which I hate.  LOL...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: June 30, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
It's rare that I see a ranking list that's even close to mine but I can relate to yours a lot.....................fan since '92, then back to WDADU too.   I would rate WDADU and FII higher and SFAM ,Tot and BCSL a little lower but apart from that , we're on the same page, especially the Top 4(I&W no 1 for me though)  ............nice to see some love for DT 12 too.   I find that most people I know who grew up with I&W rate DT12 highly.  It never pays to generalise but that's the experience amongst the fans I know (people I brainwashed into DT back in the 90's  ;D )
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:18:29 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline evz

« Reply #842 on: July 01, 2014, 09:35:37 AM »
cheers bl5150!   :metal

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #843 on: July 02, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Felt the impulse to give this a shot. It's been so long. Very, very hard to rank.. especially the last half of the list. Just a little background: I've been a fan since 2003 when Train of Thought came out my freshman year of high school. SC was my first 'new album as a fan' since 8V didn't really grab me as much back in '05. I'm ranking each album as a whole taking highs and lows into account. ONTO THE LIST:

Awake
I&W
SDOIT
DT12
ADTOE
8V
SFAM
TOT
SC
BC&SL
FII
WDADU

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #844 on: July 04, 2014, 03:44:26 AM »
I find that most people I know who grew up with I&W rate DT12 highly. 

I strongly agree with this sentence. The musical approach is quite similar between these two albums and (IMHO) quite different compared to the releases between ToT and BC&SL.  ;)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #845 on: July 04, 2014, 04:57:27 AM »
Never thought about this, but now that you mention it, for me this is true. And I don't even see I&W and DT12 as similar, they just have the somewhat same feeling to me, if that make's any sense.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #846 on: July 04, 2014, 08:07:12 AM »
Oddly enough, I rate DT12 fairly high in their discography, but only got into right around the release of BC&SL.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #847 on: July 04, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
Oddly enough, I rate DT12 fairly high in their discography, but only got into right around the release of BC&SL.

Same.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #848 on: July 11, 2014, 04:48:45 PM »
Now that there are 12 and I have had #12 long enough to be somewhat objective about it:

1.  Six Degrees
2.  Scenes
3.  A Dramatic Turn of Events
4.  DT12
5.  I&W
6.  Awake
7.  Octavarium
8.  Systematic Chaos
9.  TOT
10.  FII
11.  Black Clouds
12.  WDADU

But not a single one out of the bunch that I don't like.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #849 on: July 11, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »
Ok, here we go.

1- Awake
2- I&W
3- SDOIT
4- DT12
5- WDADU
6- SFAM
7- Octavarium
8- FII
9- ToT
10- ADTOE
11- SC
12- BC&SL
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #850 on: July 12, 2014, 03:15:05 AM »
I couldn't find my last ranking from the recent pages so...

1. Awake
2. Images
3. ADTOE
4. WDADU
5. SDOIT
6. Scenes
7. TOT
8. FII
9. DT12
10. BC&SL
11. 8V
12. SC

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #851 on: July 12, 2014, 11:47:46 AM »
https://www.prog-sphere.com/specials/dream-theater-albums-worst-best/

What do you think?

FII is too low,Top 4 sounds good for me,but Images #1.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #852 on: July 12, 2014, 11:57:43 AM »
Well it doesn't align exactly with my own rankings, but that's fine, though I disagree with DT12 being that low. That top 5, on the other hand, is absolutely spot on.

Too lazy to search for my rankings I posted much earlier in this thread, but it's changed just a bit, so screw it:

1. Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory
2. Images and Words
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Awake
5. Train of Thought
6. Dream Theater
7. A Dramatic Turn of Events
8. Octavarium
9. Systematic Chaos
10. Falling Into Infinity
11. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12. When Dream and Day Unite

I wouldn't even say DT ever put out an outright bad album, but only sub-par at the weakest.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:41:43 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #853 on: July 17, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »
My opinion nowadays is that it's not worth it it ranking albums. They're all just as good!*

ok wdadu is maybe worse than the rest

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #854 on: July 17, 2014, 01:30:32 AM »
ok wdadu is maybe worse than the rest

Great!, you have an opinion about one of them, now you just need to establish minute differences between how you feel about the others and you're good to go and ruin all your favourite music by competing it against itself. :P

But seriously, I'm inclined to agree, ranking your music only creates preconceptions and limitations on what you think you're getting out of it. But it happens naturally and unconciously anyway so why not have fun with it. Everyone has preferences, and around here it's more of a way to establish what kind of DT fan you are as we come in many types.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #855 on: July 17, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Not sure what my previous ranking looked like, but as of now:

1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Every song on here is probably in my Top 20 or even 15 DT songs. Consistently great and has the best high points of any DT album. Flawless! SDOIT is my favorite of all the epics DT has made. Disc 1 is brilliant, not a low point on this album.

2. Scenes From a Memory - Great concept, great album. Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu is the perfect 1-2 punch to get the album going in a great direction. Fatal Tragedy and Beyond This Life are incredible. Home is another song I find overrated, and it's not close to being my favorite, but it's still very good. One Last Time and The Dance are great additions that make this album varied and fun. The Spirit Carries On and Finally Free are probably Top 10 songs.
3. Awake - Very consistent, very awesome. This was a grower. Scarred, Voices, Space-Dye Vest, 6:00, The Mirror, Erotomania, and Caught in a Web are some of the best songs DT has to offer. There aren't really any lows on this album for me.
4. Falling Into Infinity - Maybe not the most consistent of the bunch, but has some really perfect stuff. Hell's Kitchen/Lines in The Sand, Trial of Tears, New Millennium, Peruvian Skies, Take Away My Pain, Hollow Years are fantastic songs. You Not Me and Burning My Soul aren't the best, but the highs make up for this.
5. A Dramatic Turn of Events - If I were ranking these albums based on consistency, this could be as high as #2. No song on this album is a disappointment. Why it's not rated higher is probably the lesser amount of highs found on other albums. It's a "safe" album, but it's a great one.
6. Images and Words - I guess I don't appreciate this one as much as most, but it's still a great album. I find Metropolis and Learning to Live a little overrated, but still awesome. Take The Time, Another Day, Surrounded, Under a Glass Moon, and Wait for Sleep are great songs. Pull Me Under ain't too shabby either.
7. Train of Thought - Consistent album with some really good moments. The last 3 tracks are phenomenal, along with This Dying Soul. As I Am, Endless Sacrifice, and Honor Thy Father are also good songs.

8. Dream Theater - Wasn't sure where to really put this one. It still hasn't fully clicked with me. The Bigger Picture is fantastic. Illumination Theory and Surrender to Reason are also very good. The only songs I don't care for are False Awakening Suite, Enigma Machine (Possibly the most boring DT song), and Behind The Veil.
9. When Dream and Day Unite - Very good songwriting. The Ones Who Help... and Status Seeker are my least favorites, but still are fairly good. I don't think the production is as bad as most say, and the vocals are actually good. I still prefer LaBrie, so this remains lower on my rankings.

10. Octavarium - Not consistent at all. The Root of All Evil and The Answer Lies Within are great, along with Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium. The rest is forgettable.
11. Black Clouds and Silver Linings - Only 6 songs, like SDOIT, but much weaker. If an album is going to have only 6 songs, I think most, if not all, need to be very strong. A Nightmare to Remember and The Count of Tuscany are great. I also like The Best of Times and The Shattered Fortress, but Wither and A Rite of Passage do nothing for me.
12. Systematic Chaos - I love Repentance quite a bit. In the Presence of Enemies and The Dark Eternal Night are also good. That's about it for me. Constant Motion, Forsaken, The Ministry of Lost Souls, Prophets of War are songs I could do fine without.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #856 on: July 17, 2014, 02:25:10 PM »
Updated List:

1A: Images & Words
1B: Awake
3: Scenes From A Memory
4: A Dramatic Turn of Events
5: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
6. Dream Theater
7: Train of Thought
8: Falling Into Infinity
9: Octavarium
10: Systematic Chaos
11: Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12: When Dream And Day Unite
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #857 on: July 17, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »
1: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2: Images & Words
3: Scenes From A Memory
4: A Dramatic Turn of Events
5: Octavarium
6. Dream Theater
7: Black Clouds & Silver Linings
8: Train of Thought
9: Falling Into Infinity
10: Awake
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #858 on: July 25, 2014, 08:17:10 AM »
1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2. Images and Words
3. A Dramatic Turn of Events
4. Awake
5. Falling into Infinity
6. Train of Thought
7. Scenes from a Memory
8. When Dream and Day Unite
9. Octavarium
10. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
11. Dream Theater
12. Systematic Chaos

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: July 25, 2014, 08:22:04 AM »
OK, time for an updated ranking:

1. Images and Words
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Scenes From a Memory
4. Falling Into Infinity
5. Awake
6. Dream Theater
7. A Dramatic Turn of Events
8. Octavarium
9. Train of Thought
10. Systematic Chaos
11. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #860 on: July 25, 2014, 08:23:59 AM »
1: Images & Words
2: Scenes From A Memory
3: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4: Octavarium
5: Awake
6: Falling Into Infinity (I'm using the Ytsejam version here)
7: A Dramatic Turn of Events
8: Black Clouds & Silver Linings
9: Dream Theater
11: Train of Thought

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #861 on: July 25, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Dream Theater
(SDOIT has just a couple more high points, but DT12 is a bit easier to listen through being a shorter album of more concise songs. Both are very consistently amazing albums though)

Scenes From a Memory

Octavarium

Images and Words
Awake
(the most equal pairing. both share all high points and have no low points)

Falling Into Infinity
A Dramatic Turn of Events
(ADTOE is more consistent than FII, but doesn't have as many high points)

Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Train of Thought

When Dream and Day Unite
Systematic Chaos
(SC has much better production, has better vocals, and is more consistent, but doesn't have the high points of WDADU)

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #862 on: July 25, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »
1. Scenes From A Memory
3A. Awake
3B. Images and Words
5. A Dramatic Turn of Events
6. Train of Thought
7. Dream Theater
8. Octavarium
9. Falling Into Infinity
10. Systematic Chaos

...I think. 5-7 are very interchangable. They're all great.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #863 on: July 25, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »
1. Scenes From A Memory
3A. Awake
3B. Images and Words
6. Train of Thought
7. Dream Theater
8. Octavarium
9. Falling Into Infinity
10. Systematic Chaos

...I think. 5-7 are very interchangable. They're all great.

:neverusethis:

Offline Shine

« Reply #864 on: July 25, 2014, 01:10:21 PM »
  • Images and Words
    • Great album, duh. Better than Awake only because it's perfectly concise. One of the shortest albums, which is a really good thing. No extra fluff.
  • Awake
    • Just as good as I&W, but at 15 minutes longer it has just a little too much extra stuff to take the top spot.
  • Train of Thought
    • Certainly suffers from being overly long and too monotonous. Would benefit from either cutting Honor Thy Father & This Dying Soul or cutting songs 2-4 down to about 7-8 mins each. Everything from Vacant on is wonderful.
  • Scenes from a Memory
    • Way to long, but I can understand why it's long. I'm not the huge fan of Finally Free that everyone here seems to be. The story is eh.
  • Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
    • Suffers from way too much bloat. Sonically it's very fun to listen to, but I can still hardly remember what songs 2-4 sound like, and the title track is an impressive feat but ultimately uninteresting after the 3rd or 4th listen.
  • A Dramatic Turn of Events
    • A very interesting look into what is wrong with modern Dream Theater. You compare it to Images and Words and see that the production is more modern (i.e. more 'loud' and generally worse) and the compositions are longer and less interesting.
  • Falling Into Infinity
    • Certainly a letdown after I&W and Awake, but it does have some highlights (Hells Kitchen, Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears) that are reminiscent of that earlier era.
  • Dream Theater
    • Pretty much a let down for me. Horrible sounds, boring tracks, Illumination Theory was fun (except that weird false ending) and The Bigger Picture was good.

Everything else is equally okay. I don't dislike any of these albums, but there is certainly a few that are standouts, a few that are not quite as stand out, and some that are a disappointment coming from Dream Theater.
lake of fire

Offline Lobatrix

« Reply #865 on: July 26, 2014, 03:02:38 AM »
My personal rank is:

1. Awake: simply perfect, the Cd that bettere represent DT.
2. Metropolis: just put it on the stereo, press PLAY and enjoy..unbelievable.
3. I&W: I liked it so much, now I find it a little bit "catchy"...although Ltlive is my fav song.
4. Six Degrees: complex and emotional.
5. Dream Theater: a re-birth!
6. When a Dream and a Day unite: The beginning of a great history.
7. Falling Into infinity: trial of tears, a wonderful song.
8. Black Clouds and Silver Lining: best of times and count of Tuscany overall.
9. A change of season
10. Octavarium: the 8v suite is fantastic, but no other song stays in my mind.
11. Systematic Chaos: in the presence if enemies is the best intro for the DT concert.
12. ADTOE: apart from Breaking all illusions, a complete delusion!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #866 on: July 26, 2014, 04:11:02 AM »
My top3 is very close and almost changes on a weekly basis, but overall I would say something like this:

1. Scenes From a Memory - I think it's an incredible ambitious concept album that the band pulled off beautifully.
2. Awake - Could just as easily have been nr1. I really love Awake. Great songs, overall no particular flaws.
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Before they got too progressive for their own good IMO. The title-track is just awesome.
-----
4. Images & Words - Their biggest classic. I have a few minor problems with it, but overall I think it stands strong.
5. Falling Into Infinity - The "love it or hate it" album of their career. Despite some attempts at being mainstream, it's a good album.
-----
6. Train of Thought - I have some fond nostalgic feelings towards this album. I got into DT through Budokan, and most of the setlist had ToT songs, so I've always had special feelings for it.
7. A Dramatic Turn of Events - On the Backs of Angels was a solid single, and BAI+BtS as the closing duo makes this album memorable. I love those two.
-----
8. Octavarium - The title-track is great and it has a few other nice songs, but overall some of their attempts at writing pop just doesn't work for me at all.
9. Systematic Chaos - Just for In the Presence of Enemies Part 1 alone. That's probably my favorite DT opener on any album.
10. Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Overly long, overly technical, and a bit too cheesy for my taste. It has some memorable stuff, but most of the songs are way too long for their own good.
-----
11. Dream Theater - Pretty much a flat line. There's nothing I could say about it really, neither positive or negative, but the whole album kinda felt like a big bag of nothing. Nothing that interested me, nothing that captivated me.
12. When Dream and Day Unite - It has some interesting songs on it, but I'm not a Dominici fan. I think the band really got started with I&W, and I never really listen to this album. It doesn't quite feel like DT without LaBrie, even if you recognize elements.

Offline Miss Bangkok

• Forum Slut
« Reply #867 on: August 05, 2014, 12:06:02 AM »

When Dream and Day Unite - 3/5
Images and Words - 5/5
Awake - 5/5
A Change of Seasons - 5/5
Falling Into Infinity - 4/5
Scenes From a Memory - 5/5
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - 5/5
Train of Thought - 4/5
Octavarium - 4/5
Systematic Chaos - 3/5
Black Clouds & Silver Linings -3/5
A Dramatic Turn of Events - 4/5
Dream Theater - 2/5

5 = a perfect album, love every single song, the whole album
4 = near flawless, love album overall, except for one or two songs
3 = average, like half the album
2 = below average, dislike most songs
1 = poor, dislike all of it

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #868 on: August 18, 2014, 01:09:40 AM »
Metropolis, Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory
Images & Words
Octavarium
A Dramatic Turn of Events
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
When Dream and Day Unite
Awake
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Dream Theater
Falling Into Infinity
Systematic Chaos
Train of Thought
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline idlewoodarian

« Reply #869 on: January 07, 2015, 05:55:00 AM »
I feel like this is an obligatory step for a newcomer, so here goes:

01. Images & Words
At first I found it too cheesy but now I just love its fantasy-like atmosphere. This is also more concise and has probably their best compositions, their Metallica influences are perfectly integrated, Kevin Moore is perfect and it features "Metropolis Pt. 1" which is one of my favourite songs of them, but really every track is killer.

02. Awake
Used to be my favourite. Really dig the darker atmosphere, "Space-Dye Vest" is a sublime album closer and I really enjoy most of the songs. "The Silent Man" might be the one I like the least though.

03. Scenes from a Memory
Not a big fan of Jordan Rudess (despite my avatar) and this feels a bit too disjointed/showing off, which diminishes the concept thing, but this is still a wild ride.

04. Train of Thought
They've gone back to their Metallica influence and they've cut down the bullshit. It's incredibly precise and effective, I don't have anything bad to say about it. The more I listen to it, the more I like it, so it might end up higher someday.

05. Falling into Infinity
Obviously not as good as their two previous albums, but there's something about this one that I like. It's softer and more radio-friendly, but that doesn't bother me. I find it relaxing somehow.

06. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
I still don't know this one very well, but "Disappear" is such a sublime ballad, and "Overture" is awesome.

07. Octavarium
My first one, and it also used to be my favourite. Now I find it boring, except for "The Root of All Evil" and "Sacrificed Sons" and obviously the title track, although it sounds much too similar to Pink Floyd.

08. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
The opener has a blast beat and the closer has some nice Pink Floyd-like atmospherics, but otherwise I find it pretty bland.

09. Dream Theater
Generic modern DT, doesn't do anything for me.

10. A Dramatic Turn of Events
Generic modern DT, doesn't do anything for me.

11. Systematic Chaos
This one really annoys me. I almost hate it.

When Dream and Day Unite isn't included because I've listened to it like, twice. But "A Fortune in Lies", "Afterlife" and "The Ytse Jam" are classic DT songs.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: January 07, 2015, 06:09:50 AM »
Welcome! I don't like Awake that much, even though the second half is stellar; and I guess I have that First DT Album You've Heard syndrome, which makes me putting SC in my Top 5, but otherwise it makes sense. Though, again, tastes are different, I think ADTOE is much better than DT12. And also, sounding "much too similar to Pink Floyd" isn't a bad thing in my book.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline idlewoodarian

« Reply #871 on: January 07, 2015, 06:18:13 AM »
I don't mind bands wearing their influences on the sleeve but with "Octavarium" I wonder if they shouldn't have admitted right from the start to covering "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"  ;D

About DT12 & ADTOE, yeah, those two could switch places. I found them really pointless at first, coming back to them recently I liked them a bit more, but still...

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #872 on: January 07, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »
Yeah, I rank BC&SL a lot higher than most because it was my first album (well, and cause it's a damn good album full of epics :P). And Systematic Chaos was my.. pseudo first album? I'd heard SC on a car trip with a friend but it was all pretty weird and unfamiliar and I didn't digest it a whole lot so I consider BC&SL my first proper listening experience (where I'm actually paying proper attention) with DT.

I also find modern DT more accessible to earlier DT and also more refined tbh (ADTOE/DT12), which I suppose one can view as a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #873 on: January 07, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
I think it's been a year since I did my rankings. So here is my updated rankings:

1. Awake
2. Dream Theater
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Scenes from a Memory
6. Train of Thought (biggest jump up, I think
7. Images and Words
8. Falling Into Infinity
9. Octavarium
10. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
11. When Dream and Day Unite
12. Systematic Chaos (I just can not get to like this album no matter how I tried)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #874 on: January 08, 2015, 02:12:30 AM »
Apparently I have posted a ranking in here already, but I'm not willing to sift through 25 pages to find it and compare it with now. So here is, I think, my current ranking:

1. A Dramatic Turn of Events
2. Images and Words
3. Octavarium
4. Scenes from a Memory
5. Awake
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
7. Dream Theater
8. Falling Into Infinity
9. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
10. Systematic Chaos
11. Train of Thought

DT12 is firmly mid-table in my rankings. Very good, but it doesn't reach the glorious heights of the six albums above it.