Author Topic: DT album ranking  (Read 102875 times)

Offline cfmoran13

• My trading website
Re: DT album ranking
« Reply #1225 on: August 29, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Images & Words
Awake
Scenes From A Memory
Falling Into Infinity
Train Of Thought
Octavarium
A Dramatic Turn Of Events
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Dream Theater
Systematic Chaos
When Dream And Day Unite

The Astonishing

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #1226 on: August 29, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »
Octavarium
Scenes From a Memory
Images and Words
Awake
The Astonishing
Train of Thought
Dream Theater
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
A Dramatic Turn of Events
Falling Into Infinity
When Dream and Day Unite

Black Clouds and Silver Linings

Systematic Chaos
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline mncbed

« Reply #1227 on: September 04, 2017, 10:13:48 PM »
Album- Best - Worst - Overrated - Underrated
1-Scenes - Fatal Tragedy - Through her Eyes - Home - Beyond this Life
2-BC&SL - The Shattered Fortress - Wither - The Best of Times - A Rite of Passage
3-ToT - Endless Sacrifice - Vacant - In the Name of God - Endless Sacrifice
4-Octavarium - Octavarium - Sacrificed Sons - Sacrificed Sons - Never Enough
5-IaW - Metropolis - Another Day - Pull Me Under - Learning to Live
6-Awake - Lie - A Mind Beside Itself - Erotomania - The Mirror
7-6DOIT - The Glass Prison - 6DOIT - 6DOIT - The Great Debate
8-Systematic Chaos - ITPOE - The Dark Eternal Night - The Ministry of Lost Souls - Constant Motion
9-ADTOE - On the Backs of Angels - Far from Heaven - Build Me Up Break Me Down - This is the Life
10-Dream Theater - The Enemy Inside - Along for the Ride - Along for the Ride - Illumination Theory
11-Falling into Infinity - Lines in the Sand - Anna Lee - Peruvian Skies - Just Let Me Breathe
12-WDADU - The Ytse Jam - Afterlife - Afterlife - ?
13-The Astonishing - None - All - All - None

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
    • Feather Child
« Reply #1228 on: September 05, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
(..)
:xbones
Of course I agree. I tried so many times, and I think it will just not get through me... I think The Astonishing is the album that I gave the most amount of chances from all albums that I've heard in my life... and nothing happened... :(
QUEENSRYCHE Survivor 2017 - PROMISED LAND round 9 starts NOW !!!! :corn :corn HELLOWEEN SURVIVOR 2017 Pink Bubbles Go Ape rounds 6 starts NOW!!!!!!! :corn :corn

Offline Sycsa

• The Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #1229 on: September 06, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »
(..)
:xbones
Of course I agree. I tried so many times, and I think it will just not get through me... I think The Astonishing is the album that I gave the most amount of chances from all albums that I've heard in my life... and nothing happened... :(
The Gift of Music is a great song all the way through, I get goosebumps at the "My brother, Gabriel..." part. I hate it when the early release single ends up to be by far the best song on the album. Usually, it's among the weakest.

The Savior in the Square has that superb drum fill 3 minutes in, underlined by that beautiful vocal melody. A New Beginning is also pretty good, uplifting, but I get bored by the guitar solo at the end. That's about it, I don't like any of the rest.
Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online Kattelox

• Child of the Wild
« Reply #1230 on: September 06, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »
Man, that guitar solo at the end of A New Beginning is one of the best solos ever. Seeing DT for the first time on the Astonishing tour, the crowd must've given JP a standing ovation 3 or 4 times throughout that solo, and I was in second row right in front of him. One of the best concert moments ever, you could see in JP's face how much fun he was having playing it for the crowd. When I first heard it (especially about 6:15 in, I think it is, when the really fast, catchy tapping part starts), it gave me goosebumps the same way In The Name of God's solo did when I first heard that.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1231 on: September 06, 2017, 09:04:03 AM »
Man, that guitar solo at the end of A New Beginning is one of the best solos ever. Seeing DT for the first time on the Astonishing tour, the crowd must've given JP a standing ovation 3 or 4 times throughout that solo, and I was in second row right in front of him. One of the best concert moments ever, you could see in JP's face how much fun he was having playing it for the crowd. When I first heard it (especially about 6:15 in, I think it is, when the really fast, catchy tapping part starts), it gave me goosebumps the same way In The Name of God's solo did when I first heard that.
Yeah, I know that it's revered by many, I've even heard people say that it's the best part of the album. It does nothing for me, just sounds like random noodling with no structure (same with the INOG solo by the way). I can imagine it working great in a live setting though. I prefer the more melodic solos, the one in Breaking All Illusions or Finally Free can make me tear up.

Online Kattelox

• Child of the Wild
« Reply #1232 on: September 06, 2017, 09:44:11 AM »
Yeah, I know that it's revered by many, I've even heard people say that it's the best part of the album. It does nothing for me, just sounds like random noodling with no structure (same with the INOG solo by the way). I can imagine it working great in a live setting though. I prefer the more melodic solos, the one in Breaking All Illusions or Finally Free can make me tear up.

I'll drink to that... BAI's solo is WOW!!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1233 on: September 07, 2017, 05:28:14 AM »

I'll drink to that... BAI's solo is WOW!!
Especially the Breaking the Fourth Wall version, where he puts in a little "Free Bird" at 8:40. Speechless. I have no speech. :hefdaddy