Author Topic: Let's commemorate DT at JP, JM and KM's high school...  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Let's commemorate DT at JP, JM and KM's high school...
« on: July 22, 2022, 01:03:12 PM »
Hey, everyone.  I have a DT-related idea and I wanted to see if there's any interest.  I work in the education field on Long Island, NY, and I occasionally interact with people at Kings Park High School (which is where JP, JM and KM graduated in 1985).  Anyway, during my last conversation with someone there I mentioned that DT recently won their first Grammy after a long and illustrious career and I inquired if there's anything honoring the band at the school -- whether a plaque, a piece of memorabilia, a sidewalk brick/engraving, etc.  The person determined that the only item honoring DT is a small and outdated plaque featuring John Petrucci (see below).  She also spoke with the school's music director and that person said they'd welcome a donation of something for display regarding DT.

So, I was thinking it could be cool for the DT Forums to donate something for display that commemorates the fact that three founding members graduated from that school in 1985.  It could be anything from a work of art created by a forum member to a photo collage to a piece of special memorabilia that we could frame and gift to the school.  Whatever it is, we could also add one of those engraved name plates that says: "Dream Theater" in the DT font with the Majesty symbol and "John Petrucci (Class of 1985)," "John Myung (Class of 1985)," "Kevin Moore (Class of 1985)," or something like that.  And then, of course, it would say "Donated by the Dream Theater Forums."

If there's any interest, perhaps we could exchange some ideas in this thread and see if anything that stands out -- or perhaps there's no interest at all, lol.  If necessary, we could launch a GoFundMe to cover the few expenses.  But we'll see.  Just wanted to open this up for discussion.  If we ended up getting a few worthy ideas, we can always create a poll to see which one is the winning idea.  I'm in no rush to do this, just putting out some feelers at this point. 

The school's current plaque:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 11:28:47 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Should we commemorate DT at JP, JM and KM's high school?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 01:10:16 PM »
I am definitely interested.  I will PM you some thoughts.  Good idea, Mike.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

Re: Should we commemorate DT at JP, JM and KM's high school?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 05:08:18 PM »
It says that MP is also an alum of KPHS?  That's not correct, is it?

I don't have any memorabilia (that I'd be willing to part with), but I'd also be interested (even if it's just kicking in a few $$).  Easy for me to spend other people's money, but it would be cool if they'd fund a scholarship for a music student, which I think they did at Berklee, but it wouldn't need to be on that level.  My kid's HS gave out a bunch of $500-1k scholarships (and one that was much larger) at the senior awards night a couple months ago.  In fact, maybe JP did just that and that's why the existing plaque exists.

It'd be cool if something like this would get KM to show up, but probably not.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Let's commemorate DT at JP, JM and KM's high school...
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 05:36:57 AM »
I have no thoughts or ideas but I'd kick a few dollars towards this too.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 06:03:13 AM »
They should put a bench out in front of the school.  That's never been done before, to my knowledge.  ;) 

Seriously, I'd participate in this.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 10:35:32 AM »
Glad there's some interest.  So far, the ideas seems to be a bench in front of the school, a scholarship, and a set of high-quality pictures of the guys (this idea was PMed to me).  I figure let's see what other ideas trickle in over the coming weeks.  Then, perhaps we can have a poll to see which idea the forum members like the most. :).
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 11:49:22 AM »
Glad there's some interest.  So far, the ideas seems to be a bench in front of the school, a scholarship, and a set of high-quality pictures of the guys (this idea was PMed to me).  I figure let's see what other ideas trickle in over the coming weeks.  Then, perhaps we can have a poll to see which idea the forum members like the most. :).

I was sort of kidding about the bench.  I think there are like five commemorative benches at my old high school.  :)