Author Topic: Pull Me Under  (Read 8511 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Pull Me Under
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 03:23:32 AM »
I don't get the tard face.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 04:43:24 AM »
The song is almost as good as its video is bad.

Truth. :jets:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 05:06:01 AM »
I don't get the tard face.
The instrumental riff beneath "gives new meaning to it all" is one of the best of Images And Word.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 05:07:52 AM »
Just a typo  :lol
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 05:10:15 AM »
But maybe TGP thought it's a huge mistake to forget even one letter from the name of a classic album! :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2012, 05:12:56 AM »
When you are typing on your iPad there is no way you can conclude a post without even making one typo  :)
- Marco

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »
When you are typing on your iPad there is no way you can conclude a post without even making one typo  :)
Written from my iPad.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »
This song is the reason why I am here. Period.

Don't listen to it very often nowadays, but I everytime I do so, I enjoy it a lot.

Why does my version suddenly stop at the end?

Seems like your CD has a scratch or is dirty. Wipe it with a soft and moist cloth.

Offline Bill

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »
Until a few weeks ago I had never heard of this song. Hard to believe but true, I'm brand new to DT. Amazing song, incredible that a band's best known song is eight minutes plus. Powerful chorus, distinct but beautifully joined sections, progressive, loads of interest, raw power juxtaposition soaring melody. Wow, blown away.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »
Until a few weeks ago I had never heard of this song. Hard to believe but true, I'm brand new to DT. Amazing song, incredible that a band's best known song is eight minutes plus. Powerful chorus, distinct but beautifully joined sections, progressive, loads of interest, raw power juxtaposition soaring melody. Wow, blown away.

Yeah, probably a lot of us (me definitely) kind of take PMU for granted at this point. We've heard it so often, it's been played live 100s of times . . . amazingly well-constructed song.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I started listening to the band's albums in mid 2005 and the first time I heard "Pull me under" was in mid 2007 on MTV, late at night. I was high on Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, so I didn't care about much else.

Also: you might know this by now, but their first Grammy nomination was for a song also 8+ minutes long.

How are you liking the band so far?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2016, 09:25:27 PM »
At least as a new fan you can appreciate PMU without having it worn out by hearing it so many times. It's an excellent song, even if more straightforward than much of the rest of the album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2016, 06:35:41 AM »
Still love this one, it's so creative and it gives me a special feeling of just getting into DT, such times of wonder and happiness lol.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2016, 06:56:24 AM »
I recently re-read Hamlet and thought about this song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bill

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2016, 07:33:14 AM »
At least as a new fan you can appreciate PMU without having it worn out by hearing it so many times. It's an excellent song, even if more straightforward than much of the rest of the album.

I know that feeling, having followed Jethro Tull, I never need to hear Aqulaung again.

Offline Bill

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2016, 07:37:01 AM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I started listening to the band's albums in mid 2005 and the first time I heard "Pull me under" was in mid 2007 on MTV, late at night. I was high on Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, so I didn't care about much else.

Also: you might know this by now, but their first Grammy nomination was for a song also 8+ minutes long.

Put it this way, not listened to anything by anyone else for the past three weeks! Not like me at all, but I really think this lot are special and will be worth really concentrating on the music and getting into it all.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »
Put it this way, not listened to anything by anyone else for the past three weeks! Not like me at all, but I really think this lot are special and will be worth really concentrating on the music and getting into it all.

Ah you sound just like me when I learned about DT, enjoy the discovering experience ^__^

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
One of the greatest tracks of all time.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2016, 10:49:22 AM »

Ahhh, sounds like me 24 years ago when I heard it for the first time! :o

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »
Pull me Under is the first track I loved from a purchased DT product, without knowing it's history. I think I really liked Dark Eternal Night (fun accessible prog metal song for me at the time) at yt and just bought the cheapest DT cd a while later. I listened to PMU quite a lot and listened to separate stuff at yt as a result. Then quite some time later I bought Score and my father gave me tickets to the 2011 tour upon hearing it. Score is what lured me in as a fan, but PMU served as a crucial bridge during the three to four years I knew them.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2016, 08:47:36 AM »
A really great song. Though somewhat overrated, it is still a very fun track on a legendary album. It's also my girlfriend's "Dream Theater comfort zone" song. She doesn't listen to anything else from DT, missing out on so much greatness!
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2016, 09:00:52 AM »
Though somewhat overrated

Is it, though? I think that, among DT fans, it may be slightly underrated. Seems to have gone through a typical 'big song' life in that it becomes huge and gets loads of praise, but as people dig in to other stuff, they kind of stop talking about that song to counter-balance the attention. Then it goes the other way into being underrated. I may be wrong about the consensus though.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »
Though somewhat overrated

Is it, though? I think that, among DT fans, it may be slightly underrated. Seems to have gone through a typical 'big song' life in that it becomes huge and gets loads of praise, but as people dig in to other stuff, they kind of stop talking about that song to counter-balance the attention. Then it goes the other way into being underrated. I may be wrong about the consensus though.

I get your point, I just don't understand why it's been globally defined as a big song. I believe that PMU is fairly average within their discography, though it's a great track. People go apeshit whenever it's played as an encore. I see a lot of people associating that particular song with DT as if it its cornerstone, too. I think that a large amount of people talk about Pull Me Under when someone mentions Dream Theater, though that's mostly people jumping on the DT bandwagon. Guitar Hero should've had more DT songs!  :lol
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline Bill

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2016, 12:59:02 PM »
I have to say, coming at it fresh, it really is a great song. I know what it's like when you have been intricately and emotionally linked to a band for many, many years and it is hard to be objective. I'm like that with Tull and a bunch of others. I'm privaleged to be a DT newbie, still able to see the wood from the trees, and appreciate PMU for what it is.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2016, 01:07:06 PM »
I have to say, coming at it fresh, it really is a great song. I know what it's like when you have been intricately and emotionally linked to a band for many, many years and it is hard to be objective. I'm like that with Tull and a bunch of others. I'm privaleged to be a DT newbie, still able to see the wood from the trees, and appreciate PMU for what it is.

Not gonna lie, I thought, what with you being a DT newbie, that this post was going to be about that thing that happens at the end of

:P

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2016, 04:59:23 PM »
Never heard of it.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2016, 08:49:44 PM »
The first song that introduced me to the world of Dream Theater. As I said, my first was Images and Words and when I listened to that album and this song, there was some kind of connection, some kind of puzzle piece that had clicked with me.

This song is fantastic and words can't describe how perfect this song is. Expect me to say that for each song.  :tup
I've come to appreciate the drums from this album as I am loving the drum sound for "The Greatest Hits" album. Now, for me, when I listen to a song, I listen to it five times in this order:

1. Just for the music.
2. Reading the lyrics while listening.
3. Paying more attention the instrument.
4. For all of that.
5. To think about what parts of the song speak out to me.

That is the bare basic for all the songs. If I fall in love with it or I'm just bored, I just turn on a Dream Theater album and if it's Images and Words, this song always plays first (because it is the first song of the this album  :loser:)

I've always loved the chorus (how catchy it is) and the resemblance to On the Backs of Angels.
Dat acoustic intro though!

Out of all the bands I've listened to, this band is the only album in which some songs easily clicked with me. I used to find epics to be awkward to listen to and not my style, but I've come to appreciate Dream Theater for the music they bring.

This song is awesome.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »
First DT song I ever heard.  So yeah...great song.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »
Still an amazing song after all these years.

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »
Sometimes I feel like a band's super-fans just can't bring themselves to admit when a band's biggest songs are also their best. "Pull Me Under" is one of Dream Theater's best songs, just like "The Spirit of Radio" is for Rush, "Highway to Hell" is for AC/DC, "Don't Stop Believin'" is for Journey, etc etc.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2016, 10:50:57 PM »
I wouldn't say PMU is close to DT's best (just because they happen to have a lot of amazinger songs), but it's still awesome. :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2016, 05:31:45 AM »
I wouldn't say PMU is close to DT's best (just because they happen to have a lot of amazinger songs), but it's still awesome. :tup

Amazinger...  :lol   

I like the lyrics more than the music. Kevin's lyrics are always alluring.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2016, 06:52:50 AM »
Amazinger...  :lol   

It's a word. Look it up in the Blobtionary.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2016, 07:59:53 AM »
I will not now or ever look at anything called a blobtionary.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2016, 08:01:12 AM »
I will not now or ever look at anything called a blobtionary.

Don't worry, there are no images. Just words.