Author Topic: Beach House  (Read 1923 times)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
Beach House
« on: December 18, 2012, 03:24:17 AM »
Are there any fellow Beach House fans here? I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned here.
To anyone who's into indie or dreamy stuff, they are pretty much the ultimate dream pop band. Especially their two latest albums, Teen Dream and Bloom.
To anyone who feels intrigued I highly suggest getting either of those albums and just listen.
I got into the band because of a friend who likes them. I didn't like it at first to be honest but he insisted I listen again and I'm glad I gave them a second chance. They're by far the best discovery of 2012 for me.

Let me know what you guys think :) my favourite song is probably Take Care but I'd suggest listening to Walk In The Park, Zebra, Myth and/or Lazuli first.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
Re: Beach House
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
Beach House has been a band that I've really gotten into as well over the past two albums out of their catalogue.  They also put out fantastic live shows.  I've so far seen them at least a couple of times.  Their performance backdrops are also artful and simple.  On this most recent tour, they had these huge fans that turned slowly and had diffused lights shining out to the crowd from behind the fan blades.  The shadows lent a dramatic effect as the blades turned. 

I'm also impressed that as much as Victoria LeGrand seems so serious as she sings on the records, she was so down-to-earth and easy going by cracking jokes or making humorous observations in between songs at their shows.

Also, Bloom is definitely up there as one of my favorite albums of the year.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
Yeah I saw them live in November and it was amazing! :) The fans were awesome indeed.
I chatted with Alex outside the venue and he's pretty cool and relaxed, he even signed the vinyl I bought! Victoria went straight into the tour bus though, she looked exhausted.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »
On the tour for Teen Dream, their backdrop consisted of trellises wrapped in tinsel. It almost seemed like a scene after a New Year's Eve party and everyone but the band has left.

What I also liked about Teen Dream as an album was the accompanying DVD which had films that accompanied each song. I won't really call them music videos. It seems to diminish the quality of the visuals.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »
Oh cool I didn't know about that DVD. I've seen a Walk In The Park video about this dude with hair all over his face, and at the end he takes a poisoned sandwich out of his chest or something?

Offline Ghost

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:22:46 AM »
I'm a big fan of Beach House. My favorite album is probably their first one followed by Teen Dream and then Bloom (still haven't heard their second, devotion). Great for late night walks for some reason.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 08:27:02 AM »
I've yet to give their first two a decent listen.. Are they worth it?

Offline Ghost

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 10:07:22 AM »
I haven't heard the second one but the first is definitely worth it. It's rawer, darker, and kind of vibe-y. More haunting if that makes sense.
Maybe listen to "Master of None" or "Tokyo Witch".

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 05:45:16 AM »
Bloom is a really nice album, top20 for me in 2012, and I picked it up on vinyl today. Some beautiful songs, and overall a very strong record. Which should I get next?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 07:25:46 AM »
Teen Dream for sure. :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 07:31:20 AM »
Cool, will check it out.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:10 PM »
Seeing them on October 1st! This is probably the first band I'm a fan of that has ever visited my city (and wasn't just playing a brief opening performance). Super pumped. :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 01:36:22 AM »
Seeing them on October 1st! This is probably the first band I'm a fan of that has ever visited my city (and wasn't just playing a brief opening performance). Super pumped. :D

They were really good when I saw them live. Hope you'll enjoy the show! :)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 01:55:34 AM »

They were really good when I saw them live. Hope you'll enjoy the show! :)
Thanks! My other friend said they're super good live too. I'm glad they specifically mentioned my city (saying something about a "big" band) in their announcement of the tour dates on their Facebook or else I'd probably have missed it because I tend to assume nobody will come here and not bother checking dates. :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 04:57:38 AM »
I guess I prefer the dreamy Japanese math/post rock band Kacica a fair amount more.