Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979331 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8120 on: December 20, 2017, 04:04:17 AM »
You can't plan a DVD around when a singer has a good vocal day. "Quick! James is sounding good! Get the camera crew!"  :lol

And then someone in the venue staff turns on an aircon that was previously shut, affecting all of a sudden James' performance towards the end, and the recording crew goes FFFFUUUUUUUUUU  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8121 on: December 20, 2017, 07:15:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQp_81q7b3g

This is better than Breaking The Fourth Wall DVD, especially vocally.

Great performance! :metal

Yea that is one hell of a performance

For real, that was awesome. And yeah, the voice is such a fickle thing one day those high notes can be there and another day not.

Offline Evai

« Reply #8122 on: January 16, 2018, 05:44:48 PM »
The Astonishing is my favourite DT album. But I was imagining if Charlie Dominci sang The Astonishing like he sang WDADU, and realized I'd probably like it better.  :lol  A lot of the rocky/proggy songs would COME TO LIFE if they had legitimately strong, high, not-too-processed vocals on them. (If I had a time machine, the first thing I would do is go back in time to the 90's, grab JLB, get him to re-record (pre-record?) The Astonishing, then send him back in time. And give him some lottery numbers so he can be rich. But then forget to tell him not to go on vacations)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8123 on: March 18, 2018, 04:50:36 PM »
Eve > The Dance of Eternity

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8124 on: March 18, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »
Eve > The Dance of Eternity

Not controversial at all, if you ask me.

Eve is a wonderfully melodic gem, one of those songs you let just wash over you.

The Dance of Eternity is great if you are into musicians doing a "look at us play fast and in odd time signatures" kinda song, but it is devoid of any real memorable melodies, and 18 years later, it's still a slight annoyance that it ruins the flow of the second half of Scenes from a Memory.  It doesn't fit at all with the rest of the album and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #8125 on: March 19, 2018, 12:40:20 AM »
Images and words is my #11 DT album, only beating WDADU and The Astonishing.  I really don't like that 80's style synth mood that the album has on it.  The album just sounds like a lot of synth without the moody atmosphere of later albums.  Awake is so amazing because it's so dark and atmospheric.  IAW just sounds like 80's synth, not to mention every instrument sounds light, nothing sounds heavy or dark in any way.  I like when DT goes dark.  Voices alone kicks the crap out of anything on IAW.

Also Metropolis is the most overrated rock/metal song of all time.  Not just DT...in all of rock and metal.  I don't hate the song, but I really don't like it.  It has some good ideas, but the transitions are not fluid at all and the song as a whole just doesn't work.  Watch Lost in Vegas's reaction to it..I agree with them 100%.  I don't know how Metropolis Pt 1 became so poular among DT fans.  The song has a good intro, then just meaders its way to the finish line, doing whatever it wants without any flow.  Good bass solo though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8126 on: March 19, 2018, 02:14:47 AM »
Images and words is my #11 DT album, only beating WDADU and The Astonishing.  I really don't like that 80's style synth mood that the album has on it.  The album just sounds like a lot of synth without the moody atmosphere of later albums.  Awake is so amazing because it's so dark and atmospheric.  IAW just sounds like 80's synth, not to mention every instrument sounds light, nothing sounds heavy or dark in any way.  I like when DT goes dark.  Voices alone kicks the crap out of anything on IAW.

Also Metropolis is the most overrated rock/metal song of all time.  Not just DT...in all of rock and metal.  I don't hate the song, but I really don't like it.  It has some good ideas, but the transitions are not fluid at all and the song as a whole just doesn't work.  Watch Lost in Vegas's reaction to it..I agree with them 100%.  I don't know how Metropolis Pt 1 became so poular among DT fans.  The song has a good intro, then just meaders its way to the finish line, doing whatever it wants without any flow.  Good bass solo though.

Interestingly, you say you don't like I&W because its 80's happy synth and light instrument sound. Yet, go on to say you like when DT goes dark. Then says Metropolis pt.1 is an overrated song...

I'm confused.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evai

« Reply #8127 on: March 19, 2018, 06:23:46 AM »
Dance Of Eternity is the real Metropolis Part 2
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8128 on: March 19, 2018, 06:28:47 AM »
Dance Of Eternity is the real Metropolis Part 2

I'd consider it Home. 'Cause it's one of the big epics of the album and because it has some prominent lyrical and musical callbacks to the original song. I could see seeing The Dance of Eternity as the "sequel", but to me if Metropolis part 2 would have been a single song, Home deserves more that title.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8129 on: March 19, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
Honestly I think the most overrate (and i think I've shared this opinion before) is The Spirit Carries On. It's as medicore as it comes.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #8130 on: March 20, 2018, 07:05:08 AM »
Honestly I think the most overrate (and i think I've shared this opinion before) is The Spirit Carries On. It's as medicore as it comes.

I'll respectfully disagree. That song has a ridiculous amount of emotion when played live. I saw them play that song shortly after my grandfather passed away and I was in tears.

Not sure if this would be controversial but the best cover DT has ever done is Iron Maiden's Gangland.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #8131 on: March 20, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
Not sure it's my favourite but that's an awesome cover, assuming we're talking the jazzy version on the MOP live cd.  All those live cover cd's are so good, some of JP's playing on Made In Japan is crazy good and their version of Dark Side Of The Moon is stunning.  Gangland was an unexpected treat though as everything else on those cds are pretty straight covers with embellishments in some of the solos and stuff whereas this was a totally different interpretation of the song.

My controversial opinions, though not sure how controversial, are that Octavarium is DT's worst album and JP looked cooler with short hair!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8132 on: March 20, 2018, 08:41:05 AM »
This might not be controversial, but I don't care at all about DT playing covers. Their original music is much better anyway.

My controversial opinions, though not sure how controversial, are that Octavarium is DT's worst album and JP looked cooler with short hair!

I wouldn't say Octavarium is their worst, but it certainly is very overrated for an album where half of the songs are good and the other half not that much.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8133 on: March 20, 2018, 08:44:25 AM »
Yeah, it's a great song.  I remember the first time I heard it as I was listening to the album for the first time, and it immediately struck me as pretty special (I was in the parking lot at Topanga Mall in Woodland Hills, CA waiting for my wife and listening to it on the car stereo).  That said, I have tired of it a bit from hearing it played live so much.  That doesn't make it less of a song.  But it does make me less inclined to want to listen to it.

Interesting call on Gangland.  I'm not sure I would say it is their "best."  But it is a really cool, creative take.  At the time I got that covers disk, I don't think I had ever heard the original, so I was pretty intrigued by how different it sounded from the rest of the album.  I don't want to say I was "let down" when I finally heard the Maiden version.  But I was surprised, that's for sure.  :lol

Regarding Octavarium:  It definitely has some tracks that I know can be in the lower tier on a lot of fan rankings.  If you happen to fall on the side of not liking most or all of those, I can see how it might be your least favorite album.  For me, it has a couple of my least favorite.  But it also has some of my most favorite as well, so it's really a mixed bag.  Overall, I think it's a great album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8134 on: March 20, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »
I don't play 8V very much these days but I do think the worst songs on it (for my taste) are still quite a bit better than a lot of their other stuff. There just seems to be a structure to the album that feels so much more solid than the albums surrounding it (ToT, SC, BC&SL), and the Score version of Sacrificed Sons is even better, I think. More ballads like The Answer Lies Within would be nice, instead we got Forsaken and Wither...  :tdwn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8135 on: March 20, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »
More ballads like The Answer Lies Within would be nice, instead we got Forsaken and Wither...  :tdwn

Which I like both more than (the anyway good) The Answer Lies Within  ;D

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #8136 on: March 20, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »
Personally, I would prefer if they steered clear of ballads for the most part on their next album, with maybe 1 semi ballad. I'd say since their glory days of early 90s - mid 2000s their ballads have been generally the weakest songs on their albums.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8137 on: March 20, 2018, 12:03:37 PM »
Personally, I would prefer if they steered clear of ballads for the most part on their next album, with maybe 1 semi ballad. I'd say since their glory days of early 90s - mid 2000s their ballads have been generally the weakest songs on their albums.

Hmmm...I quite like Along for the Ride, Beneath the Surface and Wither (especially).  Hollow Years and Anna Lee are two of my favorite songs on FII, and Lifting Shadows is excellent.  I liked Another Day when I&W first came out, but it hasn't aged well for me.  Those "ballads" that I didn't mention I don't like as much (count me in the camp that thinks TSCO is overrated, but I agree that it's much better live), but I think they've done pretty well with quality "ballads" throughout their career.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8138 on: March 20, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
As much as I rag on Forsaken and Wither, DT still puts out amazing ballads. Beneath the Surface could very well be top 10 DT songs for me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8139 on: March 20, 2018, 12:37:32 PM »
I wouldn't consider Forsaken a ballad by any stretch.  But top notch song in any case.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8140 on: March 20, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
I think I meant to put Repentance in the first post I made but just rolled with it because Forsaken and Repentance are both tripe  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8141 on: March 22, 2018, 04:38:00 AM »
More ballads like The Answer Lies Within would be nice, instead we got Forsaken and Wither...  :tdwn

Which I like both more than (the anyway good) The Answer Lies Within  ;D

But Forsaken and Wither are much better songs . . . .

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #8142 on: March 27, 2018, 04:25:59 AM »
Is 'Wither' even that different from 'The Answer Lies Within'? I don't think there's much of a stylistic contrast there. 'Another Day' and 'The Silent Man' are both further away than 'Wither' is.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8143 on: March 27, 2018, 04:50:15 AM »
Wither is better than The Answer Lies Within, the main difference is Wither is a good song and TALW is a very not good song.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8144 on: March 28, 2018, 12:40:20 PM »
Wither is better than The Answer Lies Within, the main difference is Wither is a good song and TALW is a very not good song.

TALW is basically the intro to Bohemian Rhapsody without the payoff.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8145 on: March 28, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »

I have no idea what this even means.  I'll just agree with ReaperKK and leave it at that.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8146 on: March 28, 2018, 09:21:59 PM »

Wut?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8147 on: March 28, 2018, 09:36:33 PM »

Totally. I also always thought that Hallow Years was basically the middle section of Back in Black without the similarity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8148 on: March 29, 2018, 07:23:47 AM »

Totally. I also always thought that Hallow Years was basically the middle section of Back in Black without the similarity.

I salute you Adami.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:32:39 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8149 on: March 29, 2018, 09:23:14 AM »

TALW rules :(

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8150 on: March 29, 2018, 11:23:09 AM »
Quote from: Kattoelox link=topic=35056.msg2417518#msg2417518 date=1521570723. , DT still puts out amazing ballads. Beneath the Surface could very well be top 10 DT songs for me.
[/quote
Yeah great song.  "Chosen" is an incredible song too,  one of my favorite DT songs!  Radio stations should be playing these two songs all over the place..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8151 on: March 29, 2018, 05:40:39 PM »
(Re: TALW discussion) The tone they were trying to go for on TALW was done a lot better on Act Of Faythe & Chosen imo

(Re: Controversial opinions) I've been listening to ADTOE again lately, & I've been shocked at how difficult it is for me to get to the end of that album. It's not bad by any means, but listening from beginning to end is just so tedious imo.

Also, I think I just flat-out hate the song Outcry. It's a generic rebellion anthem with nothing special about it, & the middle section serves absolutely no purpose & it just makes the song a chore to listen to.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #8152 on: March 31, 2018, 09:40:55 AM »
Also, I think I just flat-out hate the song Outcry. It's a generic rebellion anthem with nothing special about it, & the middle section serves absolutely no purpose & it just makes the song a chore to listen to.

From what I've seen on here, I think I might be one of the only people who actually likes the Outcry middle section and thinks it fits the song well. I've always interpreted it as the actual fight of the rebellion, with a lot of very fast and dramatic passages that move around a bit chaotically. It reminds me a bit of how film composers (I'm thinking mostly John Williams rn since I just watched The Last Jedi last night) will score fight scenes, with uneven and sudden accents hitting on sword strikes or explosions or other dramatic moments in the scene. I think the chaotic nature of the section is also kind of reminiscent of how actual rebellions seem to flow. There's a lot of little pieces doing there own thing in the fight, and it feels like it's cutting to different "characters" and "scenes" as it shows them doing their own little missions in the larger battle. They also bring back themes and develop them a little bit throughout that chaotic section so that there's some structure to it and it's not just free jazz.

Then the quiet section right after that is the aftermath of the battle as the dust settles, which has this rousing undercurrent to it as the rebels slowly realize "oh crap man we actually won that". Then some dude steps up and is like "hey, we won the battle but not the war, there's still work to do" and gives a "don't go quietly to cancel our independence day on the beaches"-type speech to rouse them up so they're ready for the next battle. Also drinks are on him

idk that's how I've always interpreted it. Might be reading too much into it, but whatever, just a thing that my mind do.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8153 on: March 31, 2018, 10:34:57 AM »
Outcry is one of my favorite songs from ADTOE, and the instrumental break fits exactly with the story, the way you explain it :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #8154 on: April 01, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »

From what I've seen on here, I think I might be one of the only people who actually likes the Outcry middle section and thinks it fits the song well. I've always interpreted it as the actual fight of the rebellion, with a lot of very fast and dramatic passages that move around a bit chaotically. It reminds me a bit of how film composers (I'm thinking mostly John Williams rn since I just watched The Last Jedi last night) will score fight scenes, with uneven and sudden accents hitting on sword strikes or explosions or other dramatic moments in the scene. I think the chaotic nature of the section is also kind of reminiscent of how actual rebellions seem to flow. There's a lot of little pieces doing there own thing in the fight, and it feels like it's cutting to different "characters" and "scenes" as it shows them doing their own little missions in the larger battle. They also bring back themes and develop them a little bit throughout that chaotic section so that there's some structure to it and it's not just free jazz.

Then the quiet section right after that is the aftermath of the battle as the dust settles, which has this rousing undercurrent to it as the rebels slowly realize "oh crap man we actually won that". Then some dude steps up and is like "hey, we won the battle but not the war, there's still work to do" and gives a "don't go quietly to cancel our independence day on the beaches"-type speech to rouse them up so they're ready for the next battle. Also drinks are on him

idk that's how I've always interpreted it. Might be reading too much into it, but whatever, just a thing that my mind do.

I have always felt this way about that middle section, I love it! It's one of my favorite DT songs.