Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979457 times)

Offline Sycsa

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #980 on: August 07, 2013, 09:01:31 AM »
I also think the chorus for Blind Faith is one of the poorest that DT has done.
I think it's one of their best, the studio version, that is. The buildup is great, they nailed James' tone perfectly and Mike's answers work really well.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: August 07, 2013, 09:06:30 AM »
I rate SC over TOT.    :omg: Now i run for cover.

Add me to the TMOLS lovers club.

Hate Blind Faith, most of The Glass Prison, Disappear. Basically apart from Misunderstood and parts of TGP and TGD i hate SDOIT first disc.  :omg: I rate SC over SDOIT disc 1, now i'm doomed here.

Love ACOS but i find it overrated and the production sucks (snare = :puke:)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #982 on: August 07, 2013, 09:08:01 AM »
Well... you like TMOLS, that's a plus.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #983 on: August 07, 2013, 09:25:34 AM »
I also think the chorus for Blind Faith is one of the poorest that DT has done.
I think it's one of their best, the studio version, that is. The buildup is great, they nailed James' tone perfectly and Mike's answers work really well.

See, my main problem is that its buildup IS so fantastic, and then the chorus has no payoff.  It's just so... flat.  And I also hate Mike's answers because they deflate the chorus so completely.  I wish I could enjoy it, because the rest of the song is incredible.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #984 on: August 07, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »
I hope this thread won't turn into Score's vocals were dubbed or not debate. It's really getting annoying. James himself confirmed that, expect some small touches vocals were not dubbed on Score. Any further debate about this matter is just baseless and false.

I saw the show live with my naked steaming ears, and James was so fucking good that night.

As far a controversial opinions: DT is not DT without Mike Portnoy, love mangini's skills but MP was and still is the heart of the band, and I can only hope for a reunion down the road.
 The dt cover album from BCSL is better than their original tunes on that album. Run with it...
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #985 on: August 07, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »
The dt cover album from BCSL is better than their original tunes on that album. Run with it...

Agreed. And personally, I think that the covers on that CD are better than the originals.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #986 on: August 07, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »
No way. Nothing beats the original Stargazer. Those covers are good but don't even come close to the originals IMO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #987 on: August 07, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »
Metropolis is one of my least favorite Images and Words songs. Not that I dislike it, it's great, but the majority of the other tracks are stronger.

HERETIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #988 on: August 08, 2013, 02:45:37 AM »
No way. Nothing beats the original Stargazer. Those covers are good but don't even come close to the originals IMO.

Hence why the opinion would be controversial.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Estiui

« Reply #989 on: August 08, 2013, 03:03:31 AM »
Metropolis is one of my least favorite Images and Words songs. Not that I dislike it, it's great, but the majority of the other tracks are stronger.

HERETIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

Agreed. At least LTL, TTT, S and UAGM are better.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #990 on: August 08, 2013, 04:30:22 AM »
Well... you like TMOLS, that's a plus.

Yes!

I rate SC over SDOIT disc 1, now i'm doomed here.

I rate SC over SDOIT in general. :tup

SDOIT is easily in my bottom 3 together with BC&SL and WDADU.

Offline JLa

« Reply #991 on: August 08, 2013, 05:33:15 AM »
- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is their best album. Followed by Awake and SFAM.
- DT's "Roadrunner albums" are nowhere near their earlier ones.
- Portnoy had a fair point when he asked for a hiatus/break to recharge batteries and maybe get the creativity flowing again. I wish the rest of the guys had agreed to that.
- Jordan is an amazing player and seems like a great guy, but I'm not a fan of his playing style. Kevin obviously didn't want to be part of the band anymore, but I wish they had kept Derek.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #992 on: August 08, 2013, 05:38:17 AM »
- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is their best album. Followed by Awake and SFAM.
- Portnoy had a fair point when he asked for a hiatus/break to recharge batteries and maybe get the creativity flowing again. I wish the rest of the guys had agreed to that.
- Jordan is an amazing player and seems like a great guy, but I'm not a fan of his playing style. Kevin obviously didn't want to be part of the band anymore, but I wish they had kept Derek.

Nice, short summary of your feelings toward this. I agree on all accounts, but I think I&W qualifies as a 'best album' as well.

EDIT: I misread, I don't quite agree on the last part. Actually, maybe that would've been great, we don't know. All I know is that I love Jordan Rudess's work on DT's pre Roadrunner albums, as well as Derek's work on ACOS and FII.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:51:17 AM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #993 on: August 08, 2013, 05:42:16 AM »
I don't think the first three are controversial at all, really. The last isn't really that bad either. These are probably some of the least controversial opinions posted in the topic really. :P

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #994 on: August 08, 2013, 05:43:59 AM »

I disagree with all of this

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #995 on: August 08, 2013, 05:48:07 AM »
I love POW and You Not Me (which I prefer to You Or Me).

I do not like any of the AA suite besides TROAE.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: August 08, 2013, 05:53:42 AM »
I disagree with all of this
I agree to disagree

Offline adastra

« Reply #997 on: August 08, 2013, 05:58:29 AM »
Great topic!  So here goes;

- I Walk Beside You  is the best song from Dream Theater.

- I've never liked JR's performance in Dream Theater . He is amazing player and seems to be great guy.  But still I think that Dream Theater has become his playground in testing all those wacky sounds from his keyboard.   

- Falling Into Infinity is by FAR  their best albums.  Great songwriting!

Well, that was fun!  :angel:
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: August 08, 2013, 06:05:29 AM »
I love POW and You Not Me (which I prefer to You Or Me).

I do not like any of the AA suite besides TROAE.

Most of the AA suite are skippers for me. TGP skip after firts verse, TDS skip after JP's lead, TROAE is ok, Repetance skip before it starts, TSF, this one should have been in SDOIT disc 1 as beginning and end of the suite (now, this is really controversial!)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: August 08, 2013, 06:05:36 AM »

To further expand on this Jordan, (at least to me) is a little too good. I never see any restraint from him when playing, slow pieces will go into a flurry of notes. That is where I lose him most of the time.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1000 on: August 08, 2013, 06:13:02 AM »

To further expand on this Jordan, (at least to me) is a little too good. I never see any restraint from him when playing, slow pieces will go into a flurry of notes. That is where I lose him most of the time.

It comes so naturally to him, and sometimes forgets about the listener. Though one of my favorite JR moments is how he ends In The Name of God. I love that little piano outro.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline JLa

« Reply #1001 on: August 08, 2013, 06:16:18 AM »

Agreed. I listened to this album he released "Notes on a Dream", he does piano versions of DT songs. I think he almost ruined them with all those notes ...

Offline adastra

« Reply #1002 on: August 08, 2013, 06:17:52 AM »

Less is More .
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1003 on: August 08, 2013, 06:19:43 AM »

Less is More .

Rudess is More. More betterer.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1004 on: August 08, 2013, 06:48:28 AM »
Less is More .
Less is less, more is more; both less and more can be bad or good.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1005 on: August 08, 2013, 06:58:57 AM »

You never saw him playing with artistic restraint? Oh, that's a shame, because you are missing a lot. There you go, it's not two days old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWQ0ps19YQ
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline adastra

« Reply #1006 on: August 08, 2013, 07:19:50 AM »

You never saw him playing with artistic restraint? Oh, that's a shame, because you are missing a lot. There you go, it's not two days old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWQ0ps19YQ

That was great !!!  ;D

Offline maximumrocker

« Reply #1007 on: August 08, 2013, 08:01:46 AM »
I could never get into all of Awake (Though some great tracks off it)
I have never listened to all of FII in one sitting
I love the all the long epics
I like wankery (not in every song though)
Great Debate sucks
BC&SL had too many epics. Needed a few more shorter songs for breathing room
I love cheesy lyrics, they go well with my nachos
ADTOE was a great album. Better that 8v, SC, BC&SL, maybe ToT
Rudess needs more piano solos (not synth solos)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1008 on: August 08, 2013, 08:07:53 AM »
I I have never listened to all of FII in one sitting

Do it. You're really missing out.

These are pretty much common opinions (although I disagree with ADTOE being better than 8VM and TOT, but it's still a Top 5 DT album for me).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: August 08, 2013, 08:09:54 AM »
I don't like Great Debate, like, at all.

FTFY.

Just trying to be helpful. Bashing is heavily frowned on around here. You may want to forget that certain words like 'sucks' even exist.  :)

Oh and The Great Debate is an awesome song just for MP's drum choices and playing alone even if you don't like anything else about it. Personally, I love all of it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: August 08, 2013, 08:12:54 AM »
Great Debate sucks

Nothing really shocking here.

When i listen to FII there are a couple of songs where my finger seems to think by itself and searches for the skip key.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1011 on: August 08, 2013, 08:13:58 AM »

Agreed. And personally, I think that the covers on that CD are better than the originals.

Aside from the Queen tracks surely?
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: August 08, 2013, 08:17:38 AM »

Aside from the Queen tracks surely?

??? The Queen cover is the highlight of the covers CD. So I'm sure that's what he's saying. (see bold text)
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: August 08, 2013, 08:19:56 AM »
The queen covers are great, even Brian May was asked in an interview and was amazed.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1014 on: August 08, 2013, 10:15:37 AM »
OK to clarify:

The notion that the covers CD is better than the main BCaSL disc is one that I don't wholly disagree with.

The notion that the covers themselves are better than the original songs that are being covered.....again, I think there may be merit in that.

Brian May and Roger Taylor did indeed say how impressed they were with the covers. They are fantastic tributes and covers of Queen songs. However, I don't see that DTs version of said Queen songs can be better. My opinion of course, but they are 3 (in 1) songs that are Queen fan favorites and epitomise that early Queen sound. They original Queen songs are much heavier and bigger sounding.

Just my opinion.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer