Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979356 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #560 on: January 18, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »
He just simply said he would love to be able to write lyrics to every song on an album one day. He said every album he thinks he'll be able to but then someone will say they want to do lyrics for a song and he'll be like "damn".
We need a Polite Pirate James meme :lol :lol
I was actually talking about JP. hahaha.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #561 on: January 18, 2013, 05:44:05 PM »
I remember a quote from JP stating that he was upset when he couldn't write all the lyrics to an album. Which is kind of weird.
I remember JLB saying that he had a few other lyrics for ADTOE but they were rejected. I don't remember JP saying that though

Yes, it's the first time I hear of that myself. Ah, I seem to remember that James submitted lyrics for Outcry. Can anyone confirm this or is it a fake memory of mine?

I heard James had submitted lyrics for possibly 3 other songs but that was from a guy that read it in a foreign interview and I never did get to confirm that myself.  Thats kind of disappointing if its true. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #562 on: January 19, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »
JM will probably continue the tradition of writing lyrics for one song per album, but I hope James will get to write more to make things more varied.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #563 on: January 19, 2013, 01:56:40 AM »
He just simply said he would love to be able to write lyrics to every song on an album one day. He said every album he thinks he'll be able to but then someone will say they want to do lyrics for a song and he'll be like "damn".
* WE NEED A POLITE BEAR JOHN MEME. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #564 on: January 19, 2013, 02:10:32 AM »
* WE NEED A POLITE BEAR JOHN MEME. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS.

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline jhonvictor

« Reply #565 on: January 19, 2013, 05:21:00 AM »
OTBOA/BAI are the best DT songs since 2005.
Constant Motion is AWESOME, so is Dark Eternal Night.
Shattered Fortress is a GOOD song.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: January 19, 2013, 06:00:59 AM »
first ... I have to jump in into the jlb controversy wagon..

not that i don't like it at all, but all my friends (non are prog fans) say they can't listen to dream theater cause labrie voice is too annoying, specially live.

I was the same way for a while but then JLB's voice grew on me and it wasn't so bad, until I saw him live. I saw him live the first time during the QR and DT tour in 2003 and man, I thought I was listening to a chipmunk, and it felt like I was the only one, like I was taking crazy pills or something.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: January 19, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »
first ... I have to jump in into the jlb controversy wagon..

not that i don't like it at all, but all my friends (non are prog fans) say they can't listen to dream theater cause labrie voice is too annoying, specially live.

I was the same way for a while but then JLB's voice grew on me and it wasn't so bad, until I saw him live. I saw him live the first time during the QR and DT tour in 2003 and man, I thought I was listening to a chipmunk, and it felt like I was the only one, like I was taking crazy pills or something.

2003 had many quite iffy performances, but you have to understand him, he had just started his vocal restyle that ultimately succeeded in saving his career.
- Marco

Offline Yazman

« Reply #568 on: January 19, 2013, 06:38:49 AM »
I guess my one controversial DT opinion is that Pull Me Under really isn't that great. While I can't say there are any DT songs I don't like, Pull Me Under is one of my least liked ones. It's cool and all but I don't get what the big fuss is. It's nothing special.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #569 on: January 19, 2013, 06:45:50 AM »
I guess my one controversial DT opinion is that Pull Me Under really isn't that great. While I can't say there are any DT songs I don't like, Pull Me Under is one of my least liked ones. It's cool and all but I don't get what the big fuss is. It's nothing special.

I think the big fuss is mostly that it happened to be the "hit" of the album, and is a more accessible song for the average listener.
I don't think it's overrated here compared to other songs from IaW though. I think it's a great song, but I'd only rank it middle or lower half of the album (which is no shame for such a consistently good album), and I'm sure a lot of people here feel the same. Metropolis and LTL are consistently much more highly regarded, as are probably other songs on the album like TTT and UAGM.
I don't know, it can be hard to gauge with IaW, since every song seems to get its fair share of love.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #570 on: January 19, 2013, 06:51:52 AM »
There's no bad song on Images & Words, just the least great.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #571 on: January 19, 2013, 07:10:52 AM »

I get what you are saying.  I, too, think it is probably one of their most overplayed live songs (there are some other great songs I'd love to see them dig out for the next tour).  However for me, it is more about nostalgia and appreciating the song that got me and probably a lot of other fans here in Dream Theater in the first place.  I remember hearing it on a local radio station back in 1992 and immediately wanting to hear more from this band.  That is just my take on it.  The lyrics are still great to listen to even 20 years later also.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #572 on: January 19, 2013, 07:23:04 AM »
It's funny but being from that era, PMU is what got me into DT, like Prog Snob has said, I heard it on the radio and was searching for something heavier that was proggy and lucky for me DT came along so I have much love for PMU.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #573 on: January 19, 2013, 08:33:35 AM »

WTF is controversial about this??? It's awesome song, probably my favorite from BC&SL, the second favorite at least. Now my opinion may be controversial for some people but that it's a GOOD song? Does really everybody hate it so much? Sorry, I just enjoy The Shattered Fortress too much :)

BTW The Shattered Fortress is much better than The Glass Prison if you want some controversial opinion. And don't worry I really like The Glass Prison but it's definitely my least favorite from Six Degrees even though every song is very good on Six Degrees...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #574 on: January 19, 2013, 09:06:10 AM »

WTF is controversial about this??? It's awesome song, probably my favorite from BC&SL, the second favorite at least. Now my opinion may be controversial for some people but that it's a GOOD song? Does really everybody hate it so much? Sorry, I just enjoy The Shattered Fortress too much :)

I think with most people, me included, that don't like the song think that it is just a bunch of recycled riffs that don't seem to fit that seamlessly. 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #575 on: January 19, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »

Not many people are going to argue with you on that.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #576 on: January 19, 2013, 09:50:12 AM »
Ministry of Lost Souls is a top 15 song

These Walls and Endless Sacrifice are top 10
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jhonvictor

« Reply #577 on: January 20, 2013, 04:33:33 AM »
Outcry sucks compared to the rest of the album.
As I Am is the 2nd best of the album, and for sure a top 30 song. (idk why it gets so much hate)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #578 on: January 20, 2013, 07:08:47 AM »
As I Am's chorus is pretty lackluster, especially after the rockin' verses. I don't mind the lyrics, it's just the chorus that brings it down for me.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: January 20, 2013, 08:05:04 AM »
As I Am's chorus is pretty lackluster, especially after the rockin' verses. I don't mind the lyrics, it's just the chorus that brings it down for me.

This is exactly how I feel too! The first verse is actually quite to very cool! :)
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #580 on: January 20, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »
As I Am is a pretty cool rocker and one of DT's better straightforward metal songs, but I think it could've been really awesome if they had built the whole song around the slow beginning part, as I love doom metal! :metal

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #581 on: January 20, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »
I actually like Raw Dog.  :omg:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #582 on: January 20, 2013, 10:16:36 AM »
Raw Dog isn't bad at all, but not something I want to listen to all the time. Maybe once a year or something.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #583 on: January 20, 2013, 10:19:51 AM »
Outcry sucks compared to the rest of the album.
I agree. Well, a bit. I don't like the lyrics (subject is good, but way too cheesy) and I am indifferent towards the instrumental parts.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #584 on: January 20, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I mean, I'm not really focused on lyrics all that much so it doesn't really bother me when the song comes up, but when I actively focus on the lyrics, I'm always thinking that it's a very direct lyrical approach, perhaps too direct to have the effect that it could have had.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: January 20, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »

Except Surrounded.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #586 on: January 20, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »

Except Surrounded.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: January 20, 2013, 12:44:45 PM »
lol

I have to be in a certain mood to listen to Surrounded. It's also one of the few songs in DT's discography I will skip when it comes on in the context of the album. It was amazing live though... like I said... I have to be in the mood to listen to  it.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #588 on: January 20, 2013, 12:51:48 PM »

Except Surrounded.

Quoted for both truth and image hilarity. :lol
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #589 on: January 20, 2013, 01:23:41 PM »
Yeah, I agree. I mean, I'm not really focused on lyrics all that much so it doesn't really bother me when the song comes up, but when I actively focus on the lyrics, I'm always thinking that it's a very direct lyrical approach, perhaps too direct to have the effect that it could have had.
Hell, I even like the lyrics to Count of Tuscany better. I mean, the Arabian spring was really, well, a big event, and it's not a bad thing to write lyrics about that. But things like "Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground" are just so incredibly cheesy. JP could've written better lyrics and still be direct.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: January 20, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
Here's a new one.

The Silent Man is the best song off Awake.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #591 on: January 20, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »
Here's one.

I actually think Dream Theater sucks, but they had a forum and some threads, so what the fuck.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #592 on: January 20, 2013, 03:08:36 PM »
Here's a new one.

The Silent Man is the best song off Awake.

It's one my favourites off the album as well. The Mirror and Caught in a Web tie with it, in my opinion.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #593 on: January 20, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »

I do not like green eggs and ham.  Sam I am.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #594 on: January 20, 2013, 05:42:21 PM »

I do not like them Sam I am. I do not like green eggs and ham.

Could you would you in a boat?

Would you could you with a goat?