Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979394 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #420 on: December 31, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »
Apparently controversial:  I enjoy all DT albums equally enough that I can't rank them.  I still listen to them all about equally (except Octavarium because it skips in my car cd player).  I don't skip any tracks, and I don't get bored while listening.

I play them all as well
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #421 on: December 31, 2012, 05:52:21 PM »
I prefer the Mullmuzzler vocals over Scenes'.

I think Mullmuzzler 2 has some of James' best performances. But I also think his vocals on SFAM are fantastic.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #422 on: December 31, 2012, 06:06:19 PM »
1. Images And Words
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Awake
4. Scenes from a Memory
5. Train Of Thought
6. Octavarium
7. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
8. When Dream And Day Unite
9. Falling Into Infinity
10. Systematic Chaos
11. Black Clouds & Silver Linings

That's where I'd put WDADU. I hardly ever listen to it, and some songs from the bottom three have gotten way more plays than the album or songs themselves, but as I said before, none of the songs on WDADU are bad or make me want to facepalm. And Never Enough isn't so bad, but I'll still only listen to it when I listen to the whole album, so that's why 8VM is so high.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #423 on: December 31, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »
I prefer the Mullmuzzler vocals over Scenes'.

I think Mullmuzzler 2 has some of James' best performances. But I also think his vocals on SFAM are fantastic.

I also prefer that music style especially the keys, it doesnt sound like metal DT.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #424 on: January 01, 2013, 12:40:31 AM »
I'd like to thank the awesomeness that is mr. Wasteland, the compilation he made is f@cking great. Thanks! (I still like CD in WDADU though  :P )

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #425 on: January 01, 2013, 02:49:32 AM »
You're welcome nika  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #426 on: January 01, 2013, 04:36:44 AM »
Awake is somewhat boring.
New Millennium is a top 2 song from FII.
You Not Me isn't particularly bad.
Burning My Soul is one of the worst songs ever made - regardless of artist/band.
The Glass Prison is the only bad song on SDOIT. The song is like everything from Metallica for me - extremely boring after a minute or two (the intro is cool). It's tiring as well with its stressy tempo and what not.
The best song on Systematic Chaos is Prophets Of War.
The least good song on BC&SL is The Count Of Tuscany.
Bridges In The Sky is my favorite DT song (well, that one may not be very controversial). I really wish the mix sounded a little heavier though.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:45:46 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #427 on: January 01, 2013, 06:28:07 AM »
:tup

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #428 on: January 01, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
Dellers I agree...followed closely by ITPOEpt 1 and Repentance

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #429 on: January 01, 2013, 11:17:25 AM »
This is definitely a controversial opinion, though I'm not sure if it is on this particular forum or not, but I think that DT's covers of Diary of a Madman, and most of Number of the Beast album, are superior to the originals.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #430 on: January 01, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »
I think DT's cover of Stargazer is better than the original, and one of James' best performances.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

« Reply #431 on: January 01, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
I think DT's cover of Stargazer is better than the original, and one of James' best performances.

Agreed. But the two versions are very different. When I listen to DT's version, it doesn't sound like an old song. If I'd never heard the original, and didn't know it was a cover, I would've guessed that it was written during the BCSL era.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: January 01, 2013, 11:58:55 AM »

Agreed. But the two versions are very different. When I listen to DT's version, it doesn't sound like an old song. If I'd never heard the original, and didn't know it was a cover, I would've guessed that it was written during the BCSL era.
... the parts in bold confuse the hell outta me.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #433 on: January 01, 2013, 12:11:45 PM »
This is definitely a controversial opinion, though I'm not sure if it is on this particular forum or not, but I think that DT's covers of Diary of a Madman, and most of Number of the Beast album, are superior to the originals.

You guys are horrible human beings!!!!

Ok, I've calmed down.  I think the originals are sacred and will never be topped (except Number of the Beast...I like it but was never a *huge* Maiden fan)

Diary and Stargazer are classics and no one will ever top them!!!!!   Ok, I've calmed down again.  Both covers are indeed near the original greatness at the very least. 

... the parts in bold confuse the hell outta me.

I think he means that it sounds really fresh, as if it could have been written only a few years ago. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: January 01, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »
I think he means that it sounds really fresh, as if it could have been written only a few years ago.
Oh I didn't mean it like that :D I meant, "damn guys how come that's your opinion?" I do understand tastes are different, these were just too weird for me to comprehend.

« Reply #435 on: January 01, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
You guys are horrible human beings!!!!

You know, there must have been a dozen times I wanted to say this to someone in this thread. Then I remember the actual thread title and was forced to suck it up.

Oh I didn't mean it like that :D I meant, "damn guys how come that's your opinion?" I do understand tastes are different, these were just too weird for me to comprehend.

That wasn't even supposed to be the controversial part...

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #436 on: January 01, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »
Yeah, the Stargazer cover does sound fresh--almost strikingly so. It actually took me several listens before I could get into it, because I was so struck by how different the song was from the original--and also how DT sounded different than normal, especially James. But then once I kind of got past how different it was I realized how awesome it was.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: January 01, 2013, 12:54:47 PM »
I feel like MM's kit is excessive. Dont know if he uses it all. Saw him twice in this ADTOE tour and it seemed he only played half of it. I could be wrong though. Also think that the octobans look a bit ridiculous on the top (imo).

I don't know if he uses it all either but I never liked the octobans sitting up there, everything looks too over the top for me, kinda like jordans keytar.

From a pure aesthetic standpoint I think MP had better looking kits. His SDOIT kit was just awesome.

« Reply #438 on: January 01, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
The only thing I don't like about MM's kit is that you can barely see him. He looks like he's sitting in a little booth, isolated from everyone else. It probably feels different on the actual stage, but from the audience standpoint, he feels really disconnected. That frame almost gives him an "on screen" kind of feel, like he's not really there.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #439 on: January 01, 2013, 05:52:24 PM »
Awake is somewhat boring.
New Millennium is a top 2 song from FII.
You Not Me isn't particularly bad.
The Glass Prison is the only bad song on SDOIT. The song is like everything from Metallica for me - extremely boring after a minute or two (the intro is cool). It's tiring as well with its stressy tempo and what not.

Quoted what I agree with.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #440 on: January 01, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »

The TNOTB covers are very good, although I don't think their cover of Diary was quite as good as the original. The outro is much more powerful and layered in the original, especially with the real strings and choir.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: January 02, 2013, 03:06:56 AM »
I would choose Eve over any other Kevin Moore lyrics'd song which is not called Surrounded.
- Marco

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #442 on: January 02, 2013, 06:13:36 AM »
I don't think Awake is all that good. Sure it has awesome moments on it, but it's probably in my bottom 2/3 albums by Dream Theater.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #443 on: January 02, 2013, 06:53:25 AM »
So many people have negative opinions of Awake, that I'm starting to think it's controversial that I rank Awake as my #1 DT album.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: January 02, 2013, 06:55:08 AM »
So many people have negative opinions of Awake, that I'm starting to think it's controversial that I rank Awake as my #1 DT album.
I came to post that :biggrin:

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #445 on: January 02, 2013, 06:56:07 AM »

:biggrin:
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #446 on: January 02, 2013, 07:05:26 AM »

Aaaaand thirded, in case of being favourite!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #447 on: January 02, 2013, 07:08:20 AM »

It's probably my favorite album ever ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Ruba

« Reply #448 on: January 02, 2013, 07:12:24 AM »

It's probably my favorite album ever ;)

People who are Awake arise!  :biggrin:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #449 on: January 02, 2013, 07:14:38 AM »
I never liked Awake until long, long after it was released.  In fact, I didn't really revisit Awake until Dream Theater started making mediocre albums around the time that Train of Thought came out.  I thought Train of Thought was OK, but a bit one-dimensional.  I had hoped they would move back in more of a Six Degrees direction and instead we got Octavarium, an album with about 3 good tracks on it and the rest being basically crap.  Dream Theater trying to be Muse.  ugh.  Then it got worse with Systematic Chaos.   It was around that time that I went back and started listening more to Awake, mostly out of a sense of desperation for some GOOD Dream Theater music.  And it actually clicked for me. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: January 02, 2013, 07:20:31 AM »
I didn't like Awake until my second year of DT fandom. It's not the easiest album to get into, definitly. It's more of a grower, rather than a striker like Images.
- Marco

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #451 on: January 02, 2013, 07:37:46 AM »
Awake is the best album.  :hat
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #452 on: January 02, 2013, 08:09:38 AM »
I've been listening to it for as long as I've loved DT, so about 8 years, and it has just never clicked with me. Some of the songs are great, but very few of them have any emotional draw for me and that tends to be what I look for in music the most. Space Dye Vest is one of my favourite songs of theirs and I often go through phases of listening to it really deeply for a day or two, but on the whole it all just feels very medicore and uninspired :P

I thought it was almost unanimously thought of as one of the best DT albums, so I'm surprised to see people say they've seen it around a lot that Awake isn't too great. Maybe someday my mind will change, that definitely happened with 6DOIT after six years.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #453 on: January 02, 2013, 08:17:48 AM »
I belong to the club of Awake fans - my favorite DT album too! :tup
I would choose Eve over any other Kevin Moore lyrics'd song which is not called Surrounded.
Eve is better than Surrounded, and there are a couple of better KM-penned songs than those 2, so I disagree.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #454 on: January 03, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »
I absolutely hate the demo and live version of Take Away My Pain but love the album version. 

The demo just sounds sort of generic.  The album version, despite MP's vocal hatred, sounds like an otherworldly and positive look at a painful situation.  It really captures the sorrow yet glimmer of hope of losing a loved one.  Since the lyrics have moments where they finally come to grips that the end is near and they will have to deal with it it remains a positive and melancholic song. 

MP says it is a cheesy ride through Disneyworld but I think it is a hopeful ride through a terribly tragic situation.