Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979555 times)

Offline JoeMLennon

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8085 on: November 27, 2017, 07:49:32 PM »
Yeah perhaps you are right.  I have no idea how they feel about it, obviously.  For me, I just feel like that band isn't the same when I see them play and the albums post portnoy just the songs don't seem like as many great songs as the ones with MP.  To me some of the songs are more forgettable in the last three studio albums.  Like for Train of Thought, Octavarium, SFAM when I heard those for the first time, six degrees I was hooked, the post portnoy albums not so much.  I just gotta think that having one of the main guys no longer in that process affects the songs.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #8086 on: November 27, 2017, 07:52:20 PM »
How much did Portnoy have to do with the songwriting (music not lyrics) anyway?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8087 on: November 27, 2017, 08:25:49 PM »
This thread is too, long so I gotta think this has been covered but here is some controversy.  DT won't be the same until Portnoy comes back which may not happen for quite a while.  The band lost some major mojo without his input into the songwriting process.  He did it to himself and they were left with no choice once he basically tried to shut the band down, so it is in my opinion mostly his doing which could have all been avoided.  He put them in a position where they had to move on without him and now he seems to have been regretting it ever since.  I am sure they regret it too, but it wasn't their doing.  I hope they prove me wrong and put out some unbelievable album in 2019, but I just can't get into the albums post portnoy as much as the earlier ones.  I am guessing the songwriting dynamic is just much different now than compared to when MP was in the band.

Of course they won't be the same but why is that a bad thing?  I also doubt (hope) he never comes back, not even for a one-off show/song, Mangini is THE DRUMMER now and the music is awesome as usual.

I also don't think DT regret the situation they're in now, they are kicking ass, and I'm sure the pros of MP gone outweigh the cons.  I would like to think they regret what happened at the time but there's no way they regret it now and the fact that MP just can't stop talking shit shows just how much he still regrets it.

Yes, things are different, but that isn't necessarily bad just like staying the same could also be disappointing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8088 on: November 27, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
How much did Portnoy have to do with the songwriting (music not lyrics) anyway?

From what we know, not much. 

He would be somewhat involved in the arrangement of the songs or the vocal melodies but John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess are the main songwriters. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8089 on: November 27, 2017, 09:08:23 PM »
This thread is too, long so I gotta think this has been covered but here is some controversy.  DT won't be the same until Portnoy comes back which may not happen for quite a while.  The band lost some major mojo without his input into the songwriting process.  He did it to himself and they were left with no choice once he basically tried to shut the band down, so it is in my opinion mostly his doing which could have all been avoided.  He put them in a position where they had to move on without him and now he seems to have been regretting it ever since.  I am sure they regret it too, but it wasn't their doing.  I hope they prove me wrong and put out some unbelievable album in 2019, but I just can't get into the albums post portnoy as much as the earlier ones.  I am guessing the songwriting dynamic is just much different now than compared to when MP was in the band.

Of course they won't be the same but why is that a bad thing?  I also doubt (hope) he never comes back, not even for a one-off show/song, Mangini is THE DRUMMER now and the music is awesome as usual.

I also don't think DT regret the situation they're in now, they are kicking ass, and I'm sure the pros of MP gone outweigh the cons.  I would like to think they regret what happened at the time but there's no way they regret it now and the fact that MP just can't stop talking shit shows just how much he still regrets it.

Yes, things are different, but that isn't necessarily bad just like staying the same could also be disappointing.

+1 to all of this.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:22:44 PM by gzarruk »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #8090 on: November 28, 2017, 05:27:02 PM »
ok fine. So if Portnoy didn't write the songs, then I guess I am left with the last three albums I just don't like as much.  If  Portnoy came back/comes back maybe they would have been similarly not as great as previous ones.  Heres to hoping the 2019 album is another great one I can really get into.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8091 on: December 04, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
I just thought what if DT would play JLB's solo songs in their setlist. How could they sound in their hands and how they fit well into DT style.

Slightly Out Of Reach and Confronting The Devil are my candidates.

My dreamy setlist would like;

A Nightmare To Remember
Status Seeker
*Guardian Angel
Endless Sacrifice
Take Away My Pain
*Confronting The Devil
In The Name Of God
---
The Glass Prison
The Mind Beside Itself
I-Erotamaina
II- Voices
III- The Silent Man
*Venice Burning
*Crucify
The Killing Hand
*Slightly Out Of Reach
---
Metropolis - Part I
One Last Time / Finally Free

I can't add James' last two albums since IMO, they can't fit DT style well.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #8092 on: December 04, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »
Guys... Portnoy ANYTHING BUT regrets leaving Dream Theater.

And that shouldn't really be a controversial opinion... Or even an opinion  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8093 on: December 04, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8094 on: December 05, 2017, 12:01:12 AM »

And that shouldn't really be a controversial opinion... Or even an opinion  :lol

A third option would be that it's a lie.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8095 on: December 05, 2017, 01:08:41 AM »
I just thought what if DT would play JLB's solo songs in their setlist. How could they sound in their hands and how they fit well into DT style.

Slightly Out Of Reach and Confronting The Devil are my candidates.

My dreamy setlist would like;

A Nightmare To Remember
Status Seeker
*Guardian Angel
Endless Sacrifice
Take Away My Pain
*Confronting The Devil
In The Name Of God
---
The Glass Prison
The Mind Beside Itself
I-Erotamaina
II- Voices
III- The Silent Man
*Venice Burning
*Crucify
The Killing Hand
*Slightly Out Of Reach
---
Metropolis - Part I
One Last Time / Finally Free

I can't add James' last two albums since IMO, they can't fit DT style well.

On principle I'm against taking space away from DT songs, but I wouldn't complain at all.

All the solo songs you picked are good, I just wouldn't close the set with Slightly Out of Reach (or any other James song for that matter) and sorry, but I can live without ever hearing Status Seeker  :lol but for the rest it's a nice balanced set.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #8096 on: December 05, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »

Well, in that case, he sure does a really good job at making it look like it's something that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8097 on: December 05, 2017, 07:10:24 AM »

Well, in that case, he sure does a really good job at making it look like it's something that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

:lol For sure.

Offline Evai

« Reply #8098 on: December 05, 2017, 07:10:59 AM »

Welcome to the forum, portnoy :)

Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #8099 on: December 09, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »
I think Labrie over sings a bit live, which I don't think is very controversial - pretty sure most would agree. It can SOMETIMES kill the vibe of a song or a part, but 80% of the time it doesn't bother me too much. But if I could change anything about his execution, it would be his diction, or lack thereof. Having good diction really shows a singer's professionalism, and I know Labrie is extremely professional which is why it's so crazy that he has such a problem in that department. It's really something he's always had issues with, as far as I can tell.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Evai

« Reply #8100 on: December 09, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAUyqHUUkyo

He can enunciate when he wants to  :o
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8101 on: December 09, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »

The "land of the free" was a bit too much. I was expecting him to sing "the land of tha fraaaay" straight away. He started the note ok, but couldn't resist going for the open vowel.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #8102 on: December 10, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »

That was awesome. :lol
The land of the freeee YAAAAAAAY. At that point, I expected him to go all in and end with a brave-AHHH.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Evai

« Reply #8103 on: December 10, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »

That was awesome. :lol
The land of the freeee YAAAAAAAY. At that point, I expected him to go all in and end with a brave-AHHH.

I can totally imagine how he'd do it nowadays; switching between the 'emotional breathy falsetto' and the 'rawr metal scream' voices he uses now

Offline Lethean

« Reply #8104 on: December 10, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
Thanks for posting that - I hadn't heard it before. Sounded great. :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8105 on: December 10, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
My controversial opinion: I don’t find anything special about the keyboard intro on LITS. I think that some fans, and specially Derek, think it’s way better/cooler than it actually is.

The best Sherinian keyboard moment with DT, imo, is THAT solo on Trial of Tears :hefdaddy (still don’t like Derek as a person, though).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #8106 on: December 10, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
My controversial opinion: I don’t find anything special about the keyboard intro on LITS. I think that some fans, and specially Derek, think it’s way better/cooler than it actually is.

The best Sherinian keyboard moment with DT, imo, is THAT solo on Trial of Tears :hefdaddy (still don’t like Derek as a person, though).

LITS as a whole is overrated. Petrucci's solo is the only good thing about it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8107 on: December 10, 2017, 02:50:56 PM »
Man. From all the LITS love in recent months on Derek/SoA's social media I thought I was the only one who thought LITS was kinda... not amazing, not bad, just comfortably in the middle. The synth part is cool but nothing mindblowing or anything. I also agree the ToT solo is far better.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8108 on: December 10, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »
The best part of LITS is 4:15-4:30, MP's drum pattern. To this day probably my favorite drumming of his.

Other than that, JP+JM in the first verse. JP playing this percussive clean lick, and JM is actually audible and sounds fantastic.

The chorus however is so weak, so weak.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #8109 on: December 10, 2017, 03:46:50 PM »
My favorite part of the song personally is that bare bones piano version of the "main riff" from 9:44-10:14. The guitar solo is really cool too, but that riff is just tasty.

I agree with what's been said about the intro synth solo and the choruses. Definitely the low points of the song, especially the guest vocals from Dough Pinnick. All in all a totally mid-tier song for me.

Agreed 100%. The keyboard solo from ToT is one of the high points of the entire album for me. Sooo good

Offline Evai

« Reply #8110 on: December 18, 2017, 04:56:52 AM »
Just listened to The Astonishing again, one thing kinda sticks out to me. This part in Path That Divides:

I knew the day had come
And you could be tempted
To give up the chosen one
And finally end this
Do anything for your son
A terminal weakness

Is sung completely monotone on one note. IT WORKS... but it could be better, since this is such an exciting part of the song. IN MY OPINION, some Portnoy 'tough guy' vocals could've helped.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8111 on: December 18, 2017, 12:51:56 PM »
Never really thought about that before, but could the reasoning be that the tough guy vocals were used for Nafaryus so JLB went this route for Daryus?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8112 on: December 18, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »
Maybe controversial, who knows: Goodnight Kiss, influenced by Gymnopedie No.1?

https://youtu.be/S-Xm7s9eGxU
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8113 on: December 18, 2017, 07:18:41 PM »

:omg:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8114 on: December 18, 2017, 07:21:28 PM »

For some reason I read that as Glasgow Kiss and was waiting for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8115 on: December 19, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQp_81q7b3g

This is better than Breaking The Fourth Wall DVD, especially vocally.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8116 on: December 19, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »

Great performance! :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8117 on: December 19, 2017, 05:53:11 PM »

Great performance! :metal

Yea that is one hell of a performance

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8118 on: December 20, 2017, 03:08:59 AM »
It's just weird that James sang Trial Of Tears and Awake Set (especially Scarred) effortlessly while in the DVD he seemed struggle a bit.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Evai

« Reply #8119 on: December 20, 2017, 03:39:44 AM »
You can't plan a DVD around when a singer has a good vocal day. "Quick! James is sounding good! Get the camera crew!"  :lol