Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 985339 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #6860 on: November 19, 2015, 07:12:44 AM »
It's IMHO, derived from my own personal experiences and the experiences of people I know.
However I agree with you about the right wing part, I didn't take into consideration that specific Ted Nugent Mickey Rourke Arnold Schwarzenegger Chuck Norris type of right winging where it's not religion that drives them but rather a sense of amplified nationalism.
I had more to say here but I had to cut it short cause you're right; this is dangerous ground treading ;)

"IMHO" isn't a catch all, and it doesn't excuse stereotyping.  If I get mugged by a [insert specific race here], do I get to say "IMHO, all [inserted race] are scumbag thieving thugs"?  I have no doubt whatsoever that the Westboro Church, the KKK, those in central Europe in the mid-1930's, and those in the Far East in the late 1960's would have been happy to put "IMHO" after the statements they made that led to millions upon millions of unnecessary deaths.

I'm a leftist too but I'm totally for PC dude, it's annoying cause it's called "PC" but if I can rename it "why fuck with people and make them feel like shit just cause you wanna yap?" then it would have a more compassionate vibe to it heh

Except that's not what "PC" does.  "PC" tries to tell people what they can and can't say, and in what context.  I'm absolutely in 100,000% agreement with you on the "why f*** with people" idea - I am live and let live almost to a fault.  That's libertarianism, not leftism.   PC is the opposite of that.  "PC" is removing those moans because they might offend; that was DT's artistic statement at the time.  Why not just let them make it, and don't listen if you don't like it?

I honestly hadn't really noticed them until this thread.   I find the guest vocals on "Lines In The Sand" far more egregious and offensive, and while I will share my opinion with one who asks, my solution to that is simply not listen to the song.  There are tens of other DT songs to listen to that I enjoy greatly. 

For the record, "I Walk Beside You" is a Top Ten DT song for me.   I'm a melody guy, so the heavier they get (for the sake of heavy) the more they lose me.  I don't like growl vocals, and would much prefer something eminently singable over all the riffage. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6861 on: November 19, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »
I Walk Beside You is an awesome song.

Little known fact: when the album came out, I and some friends of mine (who all played music together at our church) really loved it.  We had a special show coming up where we were going to be able to "open up" for a big-name Christian band (Newsong, if you care) at a local festival - we got to play in front of more than 4,000 people, easily the biggest crowd I've played for (which was amazing).  We wanted to put together a somewhat out-of-the-ordinary set for the event, so we all looked at IWBY and thought we could get away with it, since some of the lyrics are pseudo-spiritual.

So, we played that song live in front of crowd, BEFORE the band ever debuted it live.  Pretty neat.

And we rocked that shit, BTW.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6862 on: November 19, 2015, 08:05:12 AM »
Awesome! You wouldn't happen to have a video file of that do you?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6863 on: November 19, 2015, 08:14:08 AM »
Awesome! You wouldn't happen to have a video file of that do you?
No, sorry.  This was 10 years ago, and none of us thought to do anything like that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #6864 on: November 19, 2015, 09:35:37 AM »
...we played that song live in front of crowd, BEFORE the band ever debuted it live.  Pretty neat.

Cool! What's the name of your band? What instrument do you play? :)
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6865 on: November 19, 2015, 10:55:57 AM »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6866 on: November 19, 2015, 01:39:39 PM »

Little known fact: when the album came out, I and some friends of mine (who all played music together at our church) really loved it.  We had a special show coming up where we were going to be able to "open up" for a big-name Christian band (Newsong, if you care) at a local festival - we got to play in front of more than 4,000 people, easily the biggest crowd I've played for (which was amazing).  We wanted to put together a somewhat out-of-the-ordinary set for the event, so we all looked at IWBY and thought we could get away with it, since some of the lyrics are pseudo-spiritual.

So, we played that song live in front of crowd, BEFORE the band ever debuted it live.  Pretty neat.

That's pretty awesome, I must say. There are several DT songs which could work in a format like that, even if the original meaning that was given may be very different.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6867 on: November 20, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »
...we played that song live in front of crowd, BEFORE the band ever debuted it live.  Pretty neat.

Uplift.  Just a band from our church. 

I play guitar and drums.  That day (and currently), drums.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #6868 on: November 20, 2015, 09:07:21 AM »

Uplift.  Just a band from our church. 

I play guitar and drums.  That day (and currently), drums.

:tup Keep on rockin'!
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6869 on: November 20, 2015, 10:34:05 AM »
 :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6870 on: November 20, 2015, 11:21:12 AM »

Holy crap Hef, Newsong?!  They were very big at the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6871 on: November 20, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »

Holy crap Hef, Newsong?!  They were very big at the time.
Yeah, it was fun.  Super nice guys.  It was a great day.

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #6872 on: January 16, 2016, 04:01:53 AM »
I'll elaborate on that, and I'll say that all Dream Theater's "easy" songs are great, and never cheesy or commercial for the sake of wanting some airplay.

I Walk Beside You? wonderful uplifting tune, catchy as well, puts you in a good mood. Forsaken? awesome chorus, the best one in Systematic Chaos, it somehow reminds me of the Awake days, a gorgeous power ballad concise and to the point. Wither? Delicate and awesome ballad with wonderful melodies and gentle, delicate playing that shows that DT don't always have to show off. Even You Not Me is good, Desmond Child was hired to make it more catchy and that's what he did, if pop songs were this good, I'd listen to pop.

And so on and so forth.

:hefdaddy

Thank you, sir!
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #6873 on: January 20, 2016, 09:54:33 AM »
Not sure if this is controversial, but anyone who doesn't like DT has bad taste in music. IMO DT's music is perfection, even the lesser songs. I'm convinced that people who dismiss DT have never given them a real chance

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6874 on: January 20, 2016, 10:06:10 AM »
Not sure if this is controversial, but anyone who doesn't like DT has bad taste in music. IMO DT's music is perfection, even the lesser songs. I'm convinced that people who dismiss DT have never given them a real chance

I won't say it's controversial, but I think it's kinda condescending.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6875 on: January 20, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »

No offense, but what the fuck.
I mean, how can you pair a statement like "people who don't like DT have a bad taste" with "IN MY OPINION DT's music is perfection".
Your opinion is that they make good music. And someone else's opinion might be that they make bad music, which is not a matter of BAD taste, but DIFFERENT taste in music.

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #6876 on: January 20, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
The thread asked for my opinion, so I gave it. People who dismiss DT may have different tastes in music, and IMO in this case different means worse. The majority of people I've met that don't like DT listen to top 40 garbage or worse, country. That is bad music

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6877 on: January 20, 2016, 10:23:23 AM »
The majority of people I've met that don't like DT are kind genuine people that don't feel the need to explore a progressive metal band. I don't understand why some people can't get over the fact that not everyone likes their favorite band that they praise into heaven.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #6878 on: January 20, 2016, 10:24:15 AM »

... This is why people think dt fans are pretentious. If by controversial you mean almost nobody else would treat it with any validity (for good reason), then yeah.
I think most people should be able to at least appreciate their proficiency on their instruments, but they certainly don't have to like them.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6879 on: January 20, 2016, 10:25:38 AM »
The thread asked for my opinion, so I gave it. People who dismiss DT may have different tastes in music, and IMO in this case different means worse. The majority of people I've met that don't like DT listen to top 40 garbage or worse, country. That is bad music

It isn't bad music, you just don't like it. Your attitude is what makes other people less likely to listen to certain bands.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #6880 on: January 20, 2016, 10:35:53 AM »

That´s the reason some people I know hate DT. Nothing against the band - but some fans are so stupid and arrogant, that they can´t listen to the songs without those fanatics sounding in their ears: "But Portnoy is the best, Petrucci is a god, the band YOU like sucks, DT is perfect, Mangini plays with one hand what the drummer of your favorite band needs all four members to play, you are a loser blah blah blah". Man, that sucks! And it happens again and again.

Funny thing is, DT´s musicians are very humble. They admire a lot of guys, they respect everybody, they NEVER spoke a word in the sense: "I´m better than that guy or that other guy". They treat every other musician in the world with the utmost respect, every style, anything. And that respect they have for everybody is what make them great, above all.
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6881 on: January 20, 2016, 10:38:59 AM »
My uncle couldn't get into DT after I've given him I&W and SFAM CDs. At the same time, he's a huge fan of Beatles, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, other classic rock bands, that kind of stuff. Bad taste, right.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6882 on: January 20, 2016, 10:45:45 AM »

Im guessing your shit doesn't stink?  Come on (once again), music is completely subjective.  Everyone has their own tastes, there is not a single "one is better than the other" scenario besides your own opinion of the music.

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #6883 on: January 20, 2016, 10:48:49 AM »

Because everything that isn't 10 minute instrumental wankery with whacky keyboard sounds and a lead singer with a voice some people might find irritating is bad music.

Don't get me wrong, I like most of Dream Theaters stuff (I'm on this board after all), but can see plenty of reasons why people wouldn't like them. Comments like yours are what I really hate about the whole prog community. As if I was smarter than someone else because I like Dream Theater, Tool and Pink Floyd instead of Drake and Katy Perry.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6884 on: January 20, 2016, 11:04:24 AM »
Not sure if this is controversial, but anyone who doesn't like DT has bad taste in music.
This isn't really an opinion on DT (which is the thread topic), but rather an opinion on other people.

And a bad one, at that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6885 on: January 20, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »

Unfortunately, sport, not everything can be qualified and excused by "in my opinion".   Science says there is little correlation between what music one likes and raw intelligence, though there is a slight correlation between some measures of intelligence and classical music, (but they haven't quite figured out why yet), and there is some correlation between certain personality traits and music genre, but they are broad characterizations. 

As the legendary Paul Stanley once said:  "there is no "good" or "bad" in music; only whether I like it or not." 

Thankfully for the rest of us, the world doesn't operate on your standard.   Some of the best musicians in the history of American music are in country.  Ask any musician what they think of Johnny Cash or Hank Williams.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6886 on: January 20, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
Johnny Cash should be on Mount Rushmore.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6887 on: January 20, 2016, 12:47:38 PM »
Not really.  He should just get his own mountain.

Tangent:  In Folsom, they recently constructed a new part of the Folsom bike/walking trail network that goes by Folsom Prison and along part of Folsom Lake and the American River and named it after Johnny Cash.  Very appropriate.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #6888 on: January 20, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »
Not really.  He should just get his own mountain.

Tangent:  In Folsom, they recently constructed a new part of the Folsom bike/walking trail network that goes by Folsom Prison and along part of Folsom Lake and the American River and named it after Johnny Cash.  Very appropriate.
Really?  I used to live in Folsom.  There has always been a bike trail there it goes all the way down to Discovery park.  It's something like 22 mile ride.  I did it once but was pretty worn out :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6889 on: January 20, 2016, 01:00:32 PM »
Yeah, that is the main part of it, but it has many branches that go all throughout the city now.  When were you in Folsom, and where are you now?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6890 on: January 20, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
Sure, there are a lot of people who don't give DT a fair chance. I think everyone should be open to exploring new music, at least a little...but not everyone is. I don't like most mainstream music, but if someone else does then so what? That doesn't make them any less of a person. Their musical taste isn't the same as mine...doesn't mean it's bad. Most people can at least apreciate the talent the members of DT have, which is good enough in my book.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6891 on: January 20, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »

I don't generally listen to Top 40 music but to say none of it has any redeeming value is capricious and short-sighted. Would you say Alicia Keys is garbage? She's repeatedly in the Top 10 but she also was playing classical compositions on the piano from an early age. Just because it's not the kind of talent you appreciate doesn't mean there isn't talent to be found.

Offline Wubbagubba

« Reply #6892 on: January 20, 2016, 01:22:54 PM »

That just seems like an idiotic thing to say. Yes, I love DT too, but taste is subjective. I think any listener who listens to DT should be able to respect their proficient musicianship, but just because someone doesn't like the fast shredding, vocalist, or insane rhythmic sections doesn't mean they have bad taste in music. Maybe they prefer something simpler.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6893 on: January 20, 2016, 01:30:33 PM »
I've played DT for friends/family/GFs before and almost all of them weren't into it.  Not once did my opinion on that person change.  It's music.  I would hope their opinion on me didn't change because I didn't like whatever they might have showed me.

Offline Systolic

« Reply #6894 on: January 20, 2016, 01:33:12 PM »
My controversial opinion(s):

Dream Theater hasn't released a great album in nearly 2 decades.

The band cares less about their fans than they ever have.

Dream Theater is becoming more and more commercial by the album (and TA will be no exception)

James Labrie is beyond washed up and needs to retire.

Hiring David Campbell means that DT have finally jumped the shark.  He is the king of pop music.

Mike Portnoy is the most overrated drummer on the planet, but did a great job producing DT's music.

Rich Chycki has ruined DT's production quality and has successfully made Mike Mangini sound wholly average, which he definitely isn't.

Marco Minnemann would have been a much better drummer for the band, but I think DT would have held HIM back creatively.

Commence the flames.