Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 986119 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #6195 on: May 27, 2015, 01:02:47 AM »
I imagine TGP is really physically challenging to do live. That's the only explanation I can think of.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6196 on: May 27, 2015, 01:05:14 AM »
I also figure that plays a part in it, but TSF is also fairly demanding, which they played last tour. I wouldn't say as demanding as TGP, but I think it shows they could do it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6197 on: May 27, 2015, 08:03:38 AM »
The one they should probably stay away from is Repentance. It's not a great song to begin with, and it has too much MP in it. Glass Prison on the other hand is totally fair game. At that point the whole concept hadn't jumped the shark yet.

I agree with this 100%.

Especially since Flying Colors played it on their tour... that kinda makes me think Mike has a stronger connection sentimentally to that than the rest of the 12SS

Or it was just the easiest to put together for a new band. It's the only one of the 12SS that isn't a difficult song.

I suspect that that is the case.  And it is a song that had only been played one time before.  Mike is still conscious of wanting to give fans rare treats, and this would have fallen right in that category.  And lastly, I think you also have to take into account the singing styles of the vocalists in Flying Colors.  Most DT songs would not be a good fit.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:08:17 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6198 on: May 27, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »
I suspect that that is the case.  And it is a song that had only been played one time before.  Mike is still conscious of wanting to give fans are treats, and this would have fallen right in that category.  And lastly, I think you also have to take into account the singing styles of the vocalists in Flying Colors.  Most DT songs would not be a good fit.

That too. It's just the obvious logical choice, rather than necessarily a personal one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6199 on: May 27, 2015, 09:09:19 AM »
Yup, I agree.

...or Mike may have just said, "Hey guys, I've been wanting to do this one for awhile, but it just somehow never made it into the set list with DT.  Mind if we do it?"  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6200 on: May 27, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »
Are you suggesting that we may be over-analyzing something DT related? Surely you jest, bosky.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6201 on: May 27, 2015, 09:17:35 AM »
Perish the thought!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6202 on: May 27, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »
As someone who has played a good number of DT songs live, I can definitely say that TGP was the most challenging. Not in terms of speed or technical difficulty, but it's simply tiring. It repeats several awkward riffs over and over again. You really have to time your energy expenditure in the song.
I remember that by the time the solos came around, despite the fact that I could pretty easily play them when I was practicing them, live my arms were just tired by the time you arrive at them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6203 on: May 27, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
I've never tried playing either of the songs, but TGP sounds a lot more technical for sure. TSF has got that mellow bit in the middle and is less fast-paced overall. I think even JP himself has said those arpeggios in TGP are damn tricky! :D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6204 on: May 27, 2015, 10:47:50 AM »
As someone who has played a good number of DT songs live, I can definitely say that TGP was the most challenging. Not in terms of speed or technical difficulty, but it's simply tiring. It repeats several awkward riffs over and over again. You really have to time your energy expenditure in the song.
I remember that by the time the solos came around, despite the fact that I could pretty easily play them when I was practicing them, live my arms were just tired by the time you arrive at them.
I certainly don't have the technical acumen to play such a song, but that has always been my impression.  That song has got to be a workout.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #6205 on: May 27, 2015, 08:37:12 PM »
I hope they decide to play A Change of Seasons in full from time to time. Still my favorite of their 20+ minute songs.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6206 on: May 27, 2015, 11:33:29 PM »
I think 'The Looking Glass' is the best song off the self-titled album.

Even if I liked the song for what it was, the abrupt ending sort of kills it for me.
It's the only downside of the song.
It ends abruptly for you too? I thought there was something wrong with my CD.

:laugh:

HAHAHA PULL ME UNDER JOKE

SO FUNNY
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Cable

« Reply #6207 on: May 28, 2015, 12:06:29 AM »
I've never tried playing either of the songs, but TGP sounds a lot more technical for sure. TSF has got that mellow bit in the middle and is less fast-paced overall. I think even JP himself has said those arpeggios in TGP are damn tricky! :D

I know it's just 30 seconds, but yeah. He never seems to have tried something  similar since (maybe Never Enough unison?), and he messed it up a lot. The old board is probably filled with those opinions. He could do better now with it, being they play fixed tempos. MP always had that tempo cranked, and makes sense as it was an opener in 2002.

I never thought the actual song was top 5 DT hard, but I have not personally tried it on bass.
---

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6208 on: May 28, 2015, 06:05:42 AM »
Sorry to hijack but in terms of difficulty, how does it compare against something like ITNOG?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6209 on: May 28, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
Sorry to hijack but in terms of difficulty, how does it compare against something like ITNOG?
ITNOG doesn't sound all that challenging to me (comparatively speaking).  It's just a long song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #6210 on: May 28, 2015, 08:05:09 AM »
Yeah, aside from the instrumental section, it's not that hard, I'd say.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6211 on: May 28, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »
ITNOG doesn't sound all that challenging to me (comparatively speaking).  It's just a long song.
With a dip in the middle.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6212 on: May 28, 2015, 08:48:13 AM »
I hope they decide to play A Change of Seasons in full from time to time. Still my favorite of their 20+ minute songs.

I was hoping they'd do that on this last tour.  But nooooooooo... :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6213 on: May 28, 2015, 08:51:04 AM »
Don't talk about MP like that.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6214 on: May 28, 2015, 10:44:56 AM »
Yeah, aside from the instrumental section, it's not that hard, I'd say.
I guess that was the main thing I was referring to. The instrumental section and JP's solo to be exact.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6215 on: May 29, 2015, 06:33:00 AM »
ITNOG is quite easy to play. Up to the unison section. That one is crazy hard to play. But, i always consoled myself with the fact that even DT can't play it cleanly live :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6216 on: May 29, 2015, 07:26:40 PM »

:lol

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #6217 on: May 30, 2015, 07:38:44 AM »
ITNOG is quite easy to play. Up to the unison section. That one is crazy hard to play. But, i always consoled myself with the fact that even DT can't play it cleanly live :lol

The only DT show I've been to, back on the BCSL tour, the sound wasn't good enough to tell how much the solos were being nailed. Except that section, which was flawless. I was floored.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #6218 on: May 30, 2015, 09:06:58 AM »

How does it compare to other notoriously difficult sections, such as the Blind Faith unison?
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline FLEEBS

« Reply #6219 on: June 02, 2015, 12:10:41 PM »
So interesting to see everyone's opinions. I'm sure some of mine might be contoversial.

I love Majesty.
As someone else said, and I totally agree, Chris Collins is way better than Charlie Dominici.
I like Charlie Dominici.
When Dream and Day Unite is awesome, although I didn't used to think that way.
Scarred is fantastic.
Falling Into Infinity is fantastic.
Anna Lee is a wonderful, beautiful song. I even named my daughter Anna Lee. Don't understand the hate for this song, personally.
The best version of Take Away My Pain is on Once in a Livetime. I have no idea what popular opinion is on this, so this may not be controversial at all.
My favorite song off Scenes is Through Her Eyes. I absolutely love it. I am rather partial to slow songs, though, even if I love metal.
Six Degrees doesn't really do it for me. I'm talking about the double album and the piece, but I find many parts of the piece rather cheesy.
Misunderstood doesn't do much for me, and the ending is atrocious. And just when you think it's going away, IT COMES BACK.
Train of Thought is DT's worst album. WAY too one sided for them.
Endless Sacrifice is kind of boring.
Octavarium, the whole album, is awesome.
I Walk Beside You is my favorite song off Octavarium.
Systematic Chaos is awesome.
My favorite song off Systematic Chaos is Prophets of War (but, man, I do love In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 and Pt. 2).
One of the worst DT songs ever written is The Dark Eternal Night. Stupid lyrics, and just a boring song overall.
Black Clouds and Silver Linings is one of my favorite DT albums.
I love Wither so much. Even danced to it at my wedding reception.
The Shattered Fortress is awesome.
A Dramatic Turn of Events is not that good.
It makes no sense to me how On the Backs of Angels got nominated for a Grammy.
Beneath the Surface is fantastic.
DT12 is not that good, either.
The production on DT12 is terrible, and the drums sound terrible (not the playing, though).
I also don't get how The Enemy Inside got nominated for a Grammy, even though it's a good song.
The sudden interest in DT by the Grammy foundation (or whatever it's called) is ridiculous. There are many more songs far more deserving of Grammy nominations/wins in DT's discography (and even on the individual albums themselves) than the two that have been nominated. As far as I'm concerned, DT never should win a Grammy. They don't need that kind of company, even if I don't really think it would affect their future music much.
Mike Mangini is awesome (amazing musician and drummer), but Portnoy was a much better fit for the band.
Mike Portnoy's input on the band (heaviness, blast beat, and vocals included) are/were not a problem. I liked what he offered the band in all regards.

Having said all of that, the weird thing for me is even with the things I don't like about DT, I still like about DT. For example, I can really enjoy The Dark Eternal Night from time to time. I really enjoy Train of Thought from time to time. Six Degrees has grown a lot on me over the years, and it's cool  to listen to the entire piece from time to time. The songs and albums I don't care for much are still songs and albums I like. There are just DT songs and albums I like much more.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:23:26 PM by FLEEBS »
Eat your beets. RECYCLE!!!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #6220 on: June 02, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »
Quite a few of those aren't controversial at all.

Offline FLEEBS

« Reply #6221 on: June 02, 2015, 04:00:04 PM »
Maybe so. It's just that since I joined the forums, I've seen so many people hating on things about the band that I love, or conversely loving things about the band I don't care too much for. But that's one of the things I think is so fantastic about Dream Theater. I've said it in another post, but Dream Theater is so diverse in style that you could take a handful of fans and each one of them could like something completely different about the band. Not many bands can pull that off, and I think that's awesome.
Eat your beets. RECYCLE!!!

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #6222 on: June 07, 2015, 07:26:55 AM »
My (very) controversial opinion on DT is:
When I first heard DT, I did not like them at all. And then they put some more albums out and I still did not like them.....and guess what? I STILL do not like those first albums. The thing is, I absolutely LOVE everything DT has done since  SFAM, and I think every single album since then is better than the previous one up to BCSL, my favourite. The last two are totally awesome too, and I can't wait for the next one.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:42:09 AM by zecawolf »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6223 on: June 07, 2015, 11:42:20 AM »
While it is certainly controversial, I think you should see a doctor. Just to be safe :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6224 on: June 07, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »
One of my friends doesn't really like anything pre-Train of Thought from DT. He loves SC though, that's his favourite DT album.

Also, I checked and I'm pretty sure he's not XBOBX. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #6225 on: June 11, 2015, 06:43:29 AM »
Raw dog > Enigma machine
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6226 on: June 11, 2015, 07:20:24 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6227 on: June 11, 2015, 07:22:03 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6228 on: June 11, 2015, 07:53:54 AM »
I'd say ixnay on the bothay.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6229 on: June 11, 2015, 08:32:59 AM »
I'd say ixnay on the bothay.
I'd say ixnay on the ixnay!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol