Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 980223 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #6125 on: February 06, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »
Dunno, but this is kinda on-topic:
https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6126 on: February 06, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »
And Rick James ruined his career.  Man Rick's do suck.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6127 on: February 06, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qvc9_GDoWI4/maxresdefault.jpg

:lol haha

Fuck You Rick Berman ! You ruined this too ?!

Wait that ain't Rick Berman.....What is it with Ricks ?!

I'm glad someone got that. It was impossible not to think of that after Rumbys post.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6128 on: February 07, 2015, 04:31:21 AM »
Someone made me sit down and watch Red Letter Media's extensive Jack And Jill review and by the end I was hooked on their stuff.

From the running time I thought it would be as annoying and one sided as Nostalgia Critic but it's just two guys who love movies talking about how and why

Jack & Jill is so awful. I like how - if a movie is terrible - they at least try to point out any positives too. They're not just two meatheads sitting there swearing

constantly and going this film sucks LOL like most people on Youtube.

And yeah The Phantom Menace review is awesome. I'd watch it more often if it wasn't quite so long - even though i've watched everything they've done.

Offline JLa

« Reply #6129 on: February 09, 2015, 12:37:59 AM »
I spent a few hours on Youtube this weekend, watching songs from Score and the latest live release, the Boston Opera or whatever. Now I'm even more certain of Score being the greatest thing DT has ever released. They'll never top that one.

Best song: Another Won (why don't they write songs like that any more?)

Oh, and watching MP behind the kit made me feel so nostalgic. The stage presence of that guy... he totally played his heart out that night. I mean, just look at the grin on his face when the band joins in on The Root of All Evil.

Maybe this isn't so controversial, but at least it is opinions!  :lol

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #6130 on: February 09, 2015, 03:44:55 AM »
So i revisited BC&SL, it's still one of the most mediocre albums for me, but it has some great moments, and ANTR is still a great song besides some wanking and unneeded sections.

On the other hand, DT12 is probably the most bland DT album, it still leaves me emotionless and many times i find it boring and just an album than "needed to be released on track". Of course the production plays a big role, but besides TEI, TLG and parts of BTV and IT, i think it's a very bland album.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6131 on: February 09, 2015, 04:04:39 AM »
Spooky! I was going to post something similar!

I believe BC&SL to be more indicative of DTs sound than DT12. In fact, I think BC&SL with all its faults is a better album. The CD copy of DT12 that I have has been sat in the glove box of my girlfrienfds car for almost a year. I haven't missed it.

I dunno about DT these days. It just feels like there's no friction - it's all too good. It's hard to explain but with Mangini coming in (and I think he's amazing), it just feels like it's all gone a bit safe. It's weird in that sense because you'd think with someone like Mangini in the band they'd be able to explore even further. It seems that the opposite has happened and it's gone a bit bland.

I kind of finding myself missing Portnoy more. I really hope they start pushing the envelope again on the next album.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #6132 on: February 09, 2015, 04:12:12 AM »

I dunno about DT these days. It just feels like there's no friction - it's all too good. It's hard to explain but with Mangini coming in (and I think he's amazing), it just feels like it's all gone a bit safe. It's weird in that sense because you'd think with someone like Mangini in the band they'd be able to explore even further. It seems that the opposite has happened and it's gone a bit bland.

Can't say i disagree much. I still expect DT to try something different and more adventurous, and no, a string section in a song is not pushing the boundaries. I feel that just like JR, MM's potential is not utilized because of this "must sound like DT" mindset that seems to be going on in the band these days. I want them to get crazy, they are amazing players with incredible versatility, and while i'm sure they don't produce music that is not to their liking, i still feel that the band looks at the writing of a new album as a job with predefined qualities, than straight artistic expression and exploration.

Still, my chat with Mike made me hopeful that we'll get a more refreshing album this time, he really seems to want to contribute and be more involved, and he has plenty of ideas, so maybe we'll get a little less "clinic" DT this time around.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6133 on: May 22, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »
DT's cover of Perfect Strangers is better than the original by Deep Purple.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6134 on: May 22, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »
It's a boring cover of a boring song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6135 on: May 22, 2015, 02:30:28 PM »
It's also the best version of that song by anyone. With Lande as close second.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6136 on: May 22, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »
It's a boring cover of a boring song.
:TAC:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6137 on: May 22, 2015, 02:39:46 PM »
 :lol
I won't be intimidated with that! It might make me a little queasy but...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6138 on: May 22, 2015, 02:41:03 PM »
I don't know, man.  I listened to some Winger last week.  They are a pretty good band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6139 on: May 22, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6140 on: May 22, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6141 on: May 22, 2015, 02:59:46 PM »
 :metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6142 on: May 22, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »
Haven't agreed much with you lately hef, but I do regarding this statement.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6143 on: May 22, 2015, 06:33:43 PM »
:lol  Honestly, when was the last time you agreed with anybody, Scotty?  Seems like you only come here lately to be contrarian and pick fights.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6144 on: May 22, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
:lol  Honestly, when was the last time you agreed with anybody, Scotty?  Seems like you only come here lately to be contrarian and pick fights.
Seriously? I may not agree with the masses on this board regarding all things DT, especially when things could be better/different than how they've developed, but I take offense at the statement that I'm only here to be a contrarian and pick fights.

I looked at the latest posts I've made and I fail to see how I fit in to that description. Besides the aforementioned wishes (which I believe I'm free to wish for, yes?) a lot of the DT stuff I post is to set things straight when an individual states something that isn't true (the point made about finishing one song in time for a tour and finishing the rest of the album later, Minnemann being the first drummer DT asked to join, the medley/IF coupling played in 95, the sources for Chaos in Motion, etc) never mind my posts in other threads about the Rush tour, Rush in general, The Cure and other posts. Where have I been "contrarian" and here just to "pick fights"?

Not cool.  :tdwn
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #6145 on: May 22, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »
DT's Perfect Strangers is definitely *not* better than the original.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #6146 on: May 22, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »

While we're at it, may I say that I think that DT's version of Hey You is superior to the original by Pink Floyd?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #6147 on: May 22, 2015, 10:07:28 PM »
DTs version of Perfect Strangers IS the original version to me in the sense that I didn't know about it until DT. So it's left a more lasting impression than the Deep Purple version. Infact as it goes DT got me into Deep Purple on general so that was cool.

Oh and Scotty, I wouldn't worry about it much. Myself and probably others find a lot of your insights and perspectives quite interesting. I wouldn't have said it comes off as confrontational, but sometimes certain statements carry extra meaning that gets interpreted in ways that may or may not have been intended. This happens to me all the time if I play mutual advocate in an attempt to understand two sides of something that appears to be in conflict. *shrug* ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6148 on: May 22, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »
Scotty's DT knowledge is enormous, although I can see how one might be a tad put off by the constant fact checking.  I know it's "setting the record straight," but it can take the fun out of posting for some if you are thinking, "Oh jeez, I had better have my facts straight or someone will always be by to correct me."  It's like the fact checking equivalent of a grammar nazi.  And I mean that in a nice way, Scotty. :biggrin:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6149 on: May 22, 2015, 11:01:37 PM »

Ya know if this was a year ago, I may have been inclined to agree with you.  But in my most recent interaction with Scotty, he agreed with me about something.  Of course, I may be remembering that wrong or it may have been a dream but if it was real, it was momentous. 

I am joking for the most part.  I've never felt Scotty was that oppositional. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6150 on: May 23, 2015, 04:57:07 AM »

While we're at it, may I say that I think that DT's version of Hey You is superior to the original by Pink Floyd?
You may say it, but I won't agree with it.

But it's pretty good.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #6151 on: May 23, 2015, 05:15:19 AM »
Not my controversial opinion, but I know a guy that has the weirdest opinion on DT's albums that I have ever encountered.

WDADU, IaW: Awesome
Awake through SDOIT: Shit
TOT through DT12: Awesome

I mean, what is up with that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 06:00:38 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6152 on: May 23, 2015, 05:23:14 AM »
That is weird.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #6153 on: May 23, 2015, 08:43:23 AM »
This is probably the strangest opinion I've ever read in this thread and a bunch of people already agree with it. ??? How exactly is it better? DT's version of Perfect Strangers bleeds miserably to death in the first few seconds when Derek's plastic toy organ makes its entrance. It sounds like a joke compared to Jon's mighty Hammond sound. It whistles through the whole song with that high pitched plastic sound, giving it a cheap cover quality. Which it is, really. The guitar sound is equally thin. I don't see how anyone who cares about sound quality and good sounding instruments could prefer the DT version. Not to mention how DT fails to capture the sinister, serious mood of the original. That wanky solo at the end and LaBrie screaming annoyingly all the way through totally undermines the atmosphere.

I'm glad that my current favorite band payed homage to the favorite band of my adolescence, but Purple is a band rooted in blues, who rely on feeling, improvisation and spontaneity, and man, oh man, DT, with their style and mentality, just can't do them justice.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6154 on: May 23, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »
I enjoy DT's cover of Perfect Strangers, but I mostly agree with that. 

However, this is a fairly common phenomenon.  Fans often think covers done by one of their favorite bands are better than the originals.  I've even seen a few DT fans say that prefer their rendition of Dark Side of the Moon, which is pretty hilarious, but it just strengthens what I just said.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6155 on: May 23, 2015, 09:33:26 AM »
This is probably the strangest opinion I've ever read in this thread and a bunch of people already agree with it. ??? How exactly is it better? DT's version of Perfect Strangers bleeds miserably to death in the first few seconds when Derek's plastic toy organ makes its entrance. It sounds like a joke compared to Jon's mighty Hammond sound. It whistles through the whole song with that high pitched plastic sound, giving it a cheap cover quality. Which it is, really. The guitar sound is equally thin. I don't see how anyone who cares about sound quality and good sounding instruments could prefer the DT version. Not to mention how DT fails to capture the sinister, serious mood of the original. That wanky solo at the end and LaBrie screaming annoyingly all the way through totally undermines the atmosphere.

I'm glad that my current favorite band payed homage to the favorite band of my adolescence, but Purple is a band rooted in blues, who rely on feeling, improvisation and spontaneity, and man, oh man, DT, with their style and mentality, just can't do them justice.

I agree with that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6156 on: May 23, 2015, 10:07:35 AM »
This is probably the strangest opinion I've ever read in this thread
Really?  In THIS thread?

How exactly is it better? DT's version of Perfect Strangers bleeds miserably to death in the first few seconds when Derek's plastic toy organ makes its entrance. It sounds like a joke compared to Jon's mighty Hammond sound. It whistles through the whole song with that high pitched plastic sound, giving it a cheap cover quality. Which it is, really. The guitar sound is equally thin. I don't see how anyone who cares about sound quality and good sounding instruments could prefer the DT version. Not to mention how DT fails to capture the sinister, serious mood of the original. That wanky solo at the end and LaBrie screaming annoyingly all the way through totally undermines the atmosphere.

It's a crappy live recording, of course the audio quality won't be the same as Deep Purple's studio recording.  But it's not awful, it's fine.  And while John Lord's keyboard sound is wonderful, there's nothing wrong with Sherinian's.

Yes, the original is serious.  It's too serious.  It feels like it is plodding.  I prefer DT's tempo.

FFS, I am not a large fan of Deep Purple, and I like DT's version better.  This is the Controversial Opinion thread.  By definition, I don't expect it to be:

A) widely held (then it wouldn't be controversial)
B) fact (then it wouldn't be an opinion)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6157 on: May 23, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »
DT + Bruce covering Perfect Strangers :heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #6158 on: May 23, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
This is probably the strangest opinion I've ever read in this thread
Really?  In THIS thread?
Well, this one puzzled me the most, especially because of the subsequent comments that agreed with it. In most other cases regarding this thread, even when I strongly disagree with an opinion, I can usually see where the poster is coming from. But it's hard to wrap my head around someone (let alone many) preferring a mediocre DT cover to a legendary classic, so I inquired further while voicing my own point of view. No big deal.

FFS, I am not a large fan of Deep Purple, and I like DT's version better.  This is the Controversial Opinion thread.  By definition, I don't expect it to be:

A) widely held (then it wouldn't be controversial)
B) fact (then it wouldn't be an opinion)
I'm perfectly 'lightened up', maybe you read my post in more of an aggressive tone, which wasn't intended on my part, probably that's why you felt the CAPS, the cursing and pulling a captain obvious at the end was warranted. It wasn't. And it's John Lord. :hat

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6159 on: May 23, 2015, 10:43:40 AM »
What is mediocre about DT's cover? It improves upon every aspect of the sound and makes it sound great as opposed to just being OK for its time. And LaBrie owns it.