Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 989240 times)

Offline James Sucellus

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #4515 on: April 18, 2014, 09:58:20 PM »
I see a ton of hate for it, but I really like The Best of Times. The lyrics are clumsy, but seeing as it's Portnoy's genuine, heartfelt farewell to his dying father it's hard to really fault him for his honest feelings not being catchy enough.

Petrucci's solo at the end is soulful, and lifts the song to near-excellence. My second favourite from the album, behind The Count of Tuscany. Yes, it's hella cheesy, but I don't see how anybody could even be a DT fan, and not have developed a STRONG resistance to cheese. Scenes From a Memory was one of the cheesiest albums I'd heard up til then, but I still knew its majesty.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #4516 on: April 19, 2014, 12:45:39 AM »
I'm one of the few people who love BC&SL. Pretty much the only thing on the album I don't really like are the verses and bebot solo of AROP. That song has one of my favourite DT choruses ever though.
The Best of Times is very good indeed. It has my favourite JP guitar solo, which also happens to be my favourite guitar solo ever.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #4517 on: April 19, 2014, 04:30:06 AM »
BC&SL is their best album for me! And yes, The Best of Times' solo is Petrucci's best solo. And it is the most beautiful solo I have ever listened to. Used to be Randy Road's work on Mr. Crowley, but after I listened to The Best of Times, it really blew me away!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4518 on: April 19, 2014, 07:35:29 AM »
Systematic Chaos rules. One of DT's best, regardless of nay sayers.

This!

Interesting thing about DT12. I used to hate the album when it came out, and i still don't like it that much. I also used to say The Looking Glass was their worst song ever, now its my favourite from the album. It's a fun and simple song, perfect contrast to their discography.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4519 on: April 19, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »
I can't listen to the regular album because it's such a wall of sound, and I still haven't gotten around to acquiring the HD tracks.

But, new controversial opinion: I'm listening to JR's "Explorations" right now, and that stuff is pretty damn awesome. Add to how good he sounded on LMR, my controversial opinion is that I think his musical "heart" is outside DT these days.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4520 on: April 19, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »
BC&SL is their best album for me!

That's a truly rare opinion. Sure, SC is most hated, but I've seen plenty of people say it's their favorite. BC&SL usually is in the awkward place where it's considered to just be bland and boring. Not often the worst, and never the best.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #4521 on: April 19, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »
I can't listen to the regular album because it's such a wall of sound, and I still haven't gotten around to acquiring the HD tracks.

But, new controversial opinion: I'm listening to JR's "Explorations" right now, and that stuff is pretty damn awesome. Add to how good he sounded on LMR, my controversial opinion is that I think his musical "heart" is outside DT these days.

I have to agree with this. It seems to me that all the DT sound restrictions they have established have made JR just be ok with a very minimal experimentation, it feels like it's just his job and not much of a creative outlet.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #4522 on: April 19, 2014, 04:23:04 PM »
Here's another controversial (?) opinion. I started typing this post in the Opeth thread (we were discussing diversity) but it definitely belongs here.

I don't think DT's lastest few albums have been very diverse. SC and BC&SL were similar to each other. ADTOE and DT12 basically for me were just representations of the core DT sound, albeit two different sides of it. They didn't introduce anything new to me, except for the orchestral section on IT, Beneath the Surface and the intro to BITS.

If you start at WDADU and go forward in time, there's a huge variety of styles in DT's albums. I&W is a more refined, mature and proggy version of WDADU, where the band found the sound they were looking for and all the tiny flaws in songwriting were fixed. Awake is structured differently, is a lot darker and isn't standard prog at all IMO.
FII was a lot more simple and maybe commercial, and while not everyone likes it and most people don't like a few songs on it, the good songs on that album are truly great and add diversity to DT's catalogue.
SFAM was the band's first full-fledged concept album and it sounded more 'modern', while also in a way paying homage to classic prog. More diversity. SDOIT, IMO, is their most experimental album to date by a mile, and while being classic DT (especially the second disk), it discovers new ground while still being amazing. Heck, it's my favourite DT album.
ToT was like Awake in a way, because it was a lot darker and heavier than usual. However, it sounded a lot different from Awake; for example, while Awake had a very distinctive feature in JLB's epic vocals like I&W, ToT had some really good melodies but JLB sounds totally different. Of course, this is logical regarding the vocal chords incident, but it still makes a large difference. ToT is heavier than Awake, has fewer songs and different structures. Not all people like ToT, but again, it IS different.
Octavarium was basically a summation of most of the things DT had done before, with the modern sound of ToT and SFAM. In my opinion, that's also diversity. Why? Because, for example, the heavy songs (i.e. TROAE and PA) are not as dark and thus couldn't have really fitted on ToT. The shorter, more poppy songs, like IWBY and TALW, couldn't have fitted on FII either. The album is a summation of styles, but the songs fit together really well and all have some distinctive quality which makes them a bit different.
Now we arrive at SC. For me, SC was a bit of a mix of Octavarium and ToT. It was a heavy and dark album, but not as dark as ToT. Still, here's where the diversity begins to decline a bit for me. There are definitely some new ideas on this album (PoW, Repentance, CM) but not all of them work so well, and the overall sound of the album isn't that different from things they've done before. Still, I think the album is diverse and differs in some way from the previous albums, and I like the album.
BC&SL marked another slight decline in diversity. Again, it was pretty heavy and dark, but now the album was focused on long songs and lots of instrumental stuff. There aren't a lot of new ideas/concepts on this disk, but there are some: the volume swells in TCOT and MP's more prominent background vocals (which also were more prominent on SC, and which I think most people don't really like that much). Again, I like the album, but it just isn't that diverse as an album and it doesn't offer a very great deal of 'new' sounds or styles.
ADTOE for me marked a big decline in diversity. For me, the album basically marks a return to DT's familiar sound without sounding very dark or very heavy. Still, it absolutely sounds like DT. I don't really mind this album not being different; it is a good album, and hey, you have to stabilize a bit after you've just had a founding member leave, right?
However, I was very much disappointed when DT12 came out. For me, while it would seem like the album is very different from the rest of the discography, it is not. Yes, the songs are shorter, and more focused on choruses. Yes, there is a huge orchestral section in the epic. Yes, there is a sort of Easter Egg outro to that same epic. But still, in my opinion its sound isn't different from the rest of DT's discography at all. In my opinion, this is basically just another summation of DT's sound which started with Octavarium. SC, BC&SL, ADTOE and DT12 do not sound very different at all; maybe ADTOE is the odd one out here, but that's only because it's less dark and heavy than the rest.

Someone who had attended the listening parties for DT12, I don't remember who it was, said on this forum that DT12 sounded a bit like SC and BC&SL style mixed with I&W and Awake's shorter songs. That got me very excited. I love all of these albums. And in a way, it did sound like that. But it didn't sound like that in a way that I had expected, or rather, in a way that I hadn't expected. What do I mean by that? Well, I had expected something new, which still retained the DT core sound. In a way, I had expected DT12 to do something similar to what SDOIT had done, which was experimenting with new ideas while retaining the core sound. And with a new drummer, I had expected something new. Well, for me it wasn't.
While I agree on your general statement, I think the big decline in diversity started with SFAM onwards. Yes, there are changes, but nowhere near the differences you find on the I&W-Awake-FII run, the most diverse in the entire catalog. In Scenes, which is a back-to-I&W style with the fresh view of Rudess, they seem to have found their sound, and started to work everything from there. By the way, both Awake and FII are more modern than Scenes, or any DT album, not that it's necessarily a good or bad thing.
Going back to the changes, they started to change less and less on every album to the pinnacle being BC&SL and ADTOE for different reasons.

DT12 is an album where they achieved something they didn't achieve since Awake: writing shorter songs without sacrificing their progresive style. Every other time DT did that, was at the expense of their proggier side, most of the times it was short = straightforward(again, not that it is bad thing). Sure, no big changes here, but for me, the last big change was FII, the last surprising but not that big one was 6DOIT. All the others, while they incorporate new things to DT, they do it within the framework, so to speak, so I don't agree with ADTOE being a decline in the diversity department, and nor is DT12.
And by now, considering everything I said, I think that we won't see huge changes anymore, it's a common thing as band members get older, they find their zone and, considering how wild DT fans can get when they do change something(every new feature had screaming haters ever since I&W), I don't think they have a good reason to, unfortunately.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4523 on: April 20, 2014, 04:54:59 PM »
Having listened to DT12 again today, I must say that in my heart, it has achieved a "Classic Dream Theater Album" status already, which is something that ADTOE has yet to do.
When I listen to songs like The Bigger Picture, or Surrender to Reason, or any of the songs, on this album, there are moments where I'm like, "Oh man, I love this part!" in the exact same way that I would feel about a cool part in, say, Take The Time, or something on Awake, or SDOIT. So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, DT12 is more of a classic album than ADTOE, and one of DT's best. How it's so polarizing, how someone can claim to be a DT fan, but hate this album, I can't even fathom.
My controversial opinion for the day.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #4524 on: April 20, 2014, 05:25:59 PM »
ADTOE and DT12 are both very sharp, strong albums, and I'd probably rate DT12 as my fifth favourite of the band's career, behind Awake, Images and Words, Scenes From a Memory, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, which are the four classics.

I think the band felt increasingly directionless and meandering with the later Portnoy albums, and the Mangini albums have seen an increased sense of focus. For many songs on Black Clouds, it feels like nobody is behind the wheel, whereas DT12 has clear drive. I don't get the hate.

It helps that LaBrie sounds fucking incredible on DT12., whereas he's underwhelming on Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds

« Reply #4525 on: April 20, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »
It helps that LaBrie sounds fucking incredible on DT12., whereas he's underwhelming on Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds

If you ask me, James sounds better on Systematic Chaos than he did on the past 2 albums, or at least, his vocals were more interesting. But that's a matter of compositions themselves, rather than his personal ability. He's definitely stronger now than he was in early to mid 2000s.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #4526 on: April 20, 2014, 05:51:26 PM »
Underwhelming LaBrie is still more interesting than most singers out there. Unless he's trying to be Matt Bellamy.

DT12 his his most impressive turn since Awake, I reckon.

« Reply #4527 on: April 20, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »
Underwhelming LaBrie is still more interesting than most singers out there. Unless he's trying to be Matt Bellamy.

DT12 are his most impressive since Awake, I reckon.

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe the BEST parts of DT12, like second half of Illumination Theory, yes, but all in all, most of the vocals on DT12 were pretty standard for LaBrie. Much better than ADTOE, but nothing extremely impressive.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #4528 on: April 20, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »
I found there to be more passion in his voice during tracks like The Bigger Picture and Illumination Theory, than in the previous batch of albums. Helped draw me in to the music.

Offline 425

« Reply #4529 on: April 20, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
His voice was really good on The Bigger Picture. But ADTOE was dripping with passion as well! Look at Far From Heaven, On the Backs of Angels, Beneath the Surface.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #4530 on: April 20, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »
He's good on that album. Just not DT12-level. :p

« Reply #4531 on: April 20, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »
I found there to be more passion in his voice during tracks like The Bigger Picture and Illumination Theory, than in the previous batch of albums. Helped draw me in to the music.

I thought there was plenty of passion in SC. Different kind of passion. More like, badass, metal passion. That "Don't bother drying to find him," section from ITPOE2, is one of the best examples.
DT12 overall, had much more of that classic major sound, with very introspective lyrics, so it was a different kind of vibe.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #4532 on: April 20, 2014, 06:17:23 PM »
Didn't mean to sound so negative. I like every DT album to a certain extent (even if I rate Images and Words/Awake high above the rest), and Systematic Chaos still gets a fair few plays.

« Reply #4533 on: April 20, 2014, 06:26:43 PM »
Black Clouds is definitely one album that I would say lacked a typical level of enthusiasm from James.  (hypothetically) If he happened to go on record to say that he was resentful of Portnoy for his vocal contributions undermining James' position in the band, at that time, I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever. I don't think it was that extreme of a case in James' mind, but I kind of felt that way at the time. Around that time, someone posted a stupid fake Youtube video that said, "James LaBrie quits Dream Theater" (if someone on here made it, no offense), and the second I read it, I was like, "Oh fuck... Well, somehow I'm not surprised." But I was greatly relieved when I realized it wasn't true.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #4534 on: April 20, 2014, 09:27:35 PM »
Having listened to DT12 again today, I must say that in my heart, it has achieved a "Classic Dream Theater Album" status already, which is something that ADTOE has yet to do.
When I listen to songs like The Bigger Picture, or Surrender to Reason, or any of the songs, on this album, there are moments where I'm like, "Oh man, I love this part!" in the exact same way that I would feel about a cool part in, say, Take The Time, or something on Awake, or SDOIT. So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, DT12 is more of a classic album than ADTOE, and one of DT's best. How it's so polarizing, how someone can claim to be a DT fan, but hate this album, I can't even fathom.
My controversial opinion for the day.
While I love DT12 as much as you do, I think it's perfectly possible for any fan of any band to hate any song from that band, especially if it's Dream Theater. This album happens to be very melodic(especially the second half), so if you just happen not to like those melodies, you won't like the songs. Simple. And the fact that it's so polarizing it's an indication that they did do something different here.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4535 on: April 20, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »
I don't think DT12 even has JLB's best vocals out of his albums released in 2013. His vocals are utilized much better on Impermanent Resonance imo. DT12 has the high section of IT (which is awesome), and that's about it for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4536 on: April 20, 2014, 09:34:28 PM »
I love DT's melodic side, but I don't think the execution of the melodies quite worked well on DTXII.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4537 on: April 20, 2014, 11:20:03 PM »
I love DT's melodic side, but I don't think the execution of the melodies quite worked well on DTXII.
Agreed. ADTOE has more memorable and interesting melodies.

« Reply #4538 on: April 21, 2014, 02:20:57 AM »
I don't think DT12 even has JLB's best vocals out of his albums released in 2013. His vocals are utilized much better on Impermanent Resonance imo. DT12 has the high section of IT (which is awesome), and that's about it for me.

I agree, but I still think his vocal melodies on DT12 were a huge improvement over the past 2 albums.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4539 on: April 21, 2014, 02:28:56 AM »

I agree, but I still think his vocal melodies on DT12 were a huge improvement over the past 2 albums.

I'd say ADTOE's vocals were a slight improvement over BCASL, and DT12's vocals were a slight improvement over that, but middle of IT aside, I don't think any of them showcase just how good his voice has been during these more recent years. As LALP shows, his voice is in impressive form.

And I'm not just talking about high melodies. I'd like to hear more difficult melodies, and more expressiveness and emotion. I think SDOIT probably does that the best out of the "modern" DT albums, and that was arguably his lowest point in terms of vocal strength.

« Reply #4540 on: April 21, 2014, 02:37:50 AM »
I'd say ADTOE's vocals were a slight improvement over BCASL, and DT12's vocals were a slight improvement over that, but middle of IT aside, I don't think any of them showcase just how good his voice has been during these more recent years. As LALP shows, his voice is in impressive form.

They were an improvement, but the still left me quite a bit underwhelmed. With DT12, it was a big step in the right direction and actually left me more optimistic about what we'll hear from JLB on the next album. Especially since (if I remember correctly) JP listed Impermanent Resonance as one of his top 10 albums of 2013. Maybe he'll take note from it, next time around.

And I'm not just talking about high melodies. I'd like to hear more difficult melodies, and more expressiveness and emotion. I think SDOIT probably does that the best out of the "modern" DT albums, and that was arguably his lowest point in terms of vocal strength.

Well, you're a SDOIT fanboy, so of course you'd say that.  :lol

I wouldn't say it does it best overall, but there are definitely quite a few shining examples on it. Misunderstood has always stood out to me as a song that wasn't extremely difficult to sing, yet still a lot of fun, because of its vocal melodies.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4541 on: April 21, 2014, 02:45:22 AM »

Well, you're a SDOIT fanboy, so of course you'd say that.  :lol

And that makes my opinion less valid? There are many legitimate reasons SDOIT is DT's best album to me, the excellent vocal melodies and emotional delivery being one of them. :)
I don't think any DT album since has had such consistently strong vocals (although many have had moments that are better), and yet his voice has only dramatically improved ever since then. Maybe having a vocal coach changed his technique or something.

« Reply #4542 on: April 21, 2014, 02:55:28 AM »
And that makes my opinion less valid? There are many legitimate reasons SDOIT is DT's best album to me, the excellent vocal melodies and emotional delivery being one of them. :)
I don't think any DT album since has had such consistently strong vocals (although many have had moments that are better), and yet his voice has only dramatically improved ever since then. Maybe having a vocal coach changed his technique or something.

I'm not saying your opinion is less valid, I'm just saying that if I were to ask that question, that's the answer I'd expect from you.

Personally, I think SDOIT has had a good bit of both, strong and emotional vocals, and bland, phoned in vocals. Depends on the moments you look at. And opinions, of course.
I'm just saying, I can't say, "Oh, SDOIT had such strong and amazing performances. Everything since has been mediocre."

Obviously there are going to be songs he's more passionate about, and takes more interest in, and other songs that he has to kind of force that passion, or rely on his technique. And I think every album has examples of both.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4543 on: April 21, 2014, 03:02:49 AM »
I'm just saying, I can't say, "Oh, SDOIT had such strong and amazing performances. Everything since has been mediocre."

I never said that either! I just said that overall I think SDOIT is his strongest vocal performance. And I think the last few have been his weaker performances. I don't mean those as blanket statements in any way. Every DT album has its share of great and not as great vocal sections.
Even though SC also had plenty that didn't work to JLB's strengths, I felt a lot more emotion from him singing about dark masters than I do for recent songs where I really should have felt it, such as the ballads.

It's ok, we're in the right thread for me to safely say that. :lol

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #4544 on: April 21, 2014, 03:02:55 AM »
Well, i'm not a big fan of DT12 myself. I like the songs but they hyped it way too much for me ('strongest work to date, best album we did'). And i expected a little bit more from the so called 'big 20 minute epic' (and don't get me wrong please i really like Illumination Theory, but i expected something different).

To me the songs on A Dramatic Turn of Events are more exciting than any of the songs on DT12. Breaking All Illusions is one of my favorite Dream Theater pieces ever and i also love Beneath The Surface + the mixing was way better.

What i want is for Dream Theater to be happy with what they write and if they want to write shorter songs, that is fine with me (then i am happy). However, i think every fan wants them to progress like they did in the early years. Don't stay in the comfort zone. Do something we don't expect, do something experimental, don't give a shit about commercial success (you will get it anyway). Please create pieces that will make me leave the venue speechless. Please create mindblowing vocal melodies, epic choruses, climaxes, guitar solo's, awesome drum work that DT is known for.

« Reply #4545 on: April 21, 2014, 03:10:36 AM »
I never said that either! I just said that overall I think SDOIT is his strongest vocal performance. And I think the last few have been his weaker performances. I don't mean those as blanket statements in any way. Every DT album has its share of great and not as great vocal sections.
Even though SC also had plenty that didn't work to JLB's strengths, I felt a lot more emotion from him singing about dark masters than I do for recent songs where I really should have felt it, such as the ballads.

Well, they don't write songs about "Dark Master" type stuff very often, so I imagine it was a lot of fun for him to do stuff like that. Frankly (and I'm sure this is another controversial opinion) I want to see more DT lyrics about pure fictional stories with fantasy elements like on SC, or even talking about occult stuff. Those who prefer lyrics about life, and philosophy, and being introspective, well, they get their fill with almost every DT album. Let us old school Heavy Metal and fantasy nerds have something fun!  :metal

Well, i'm not a big fan of DT12 myself. I like the songs but they hyped it way too much for me ('strongest work to date, best album we did'). And i expected a little bit more from the so called 'big 20 minute epic' (and don't get me wrong please i really like Illumination Theory, but i expected something different).

Okay, but you really need to take those kinds of statements with a grain of salt. If I was expecting their new album to top SFAM for me, then I'd be disappointed too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4546 on: April 21, 2014, 03:22:19 AM »

Well, they don't write songs about "Dark Master" type stuff very often, so I imagine it was a lot of fun for him to do stuff like that. Frankly (and I'm sure this is another controversial opinion) I want to see more DT lyrics about pure fictional stories with fantasy elements like on SC, or even talking about occult stuff. Those who prefer lyrics about life, and philosophy, and being introspective, well, they get their fill with almost every DT album. Let us old school Heavy Metal and fantasy nerds have something fun!  :metal

I don't have a problem with the life/inspirational lyrics either, but I think they've done plenty enough of it recently. I'd like to have JR write some totally spaced-out lyrics, something in the vein of UAGM. He could do it. :hat

« Reply #4547 on: April 21, 2014, 03:26:15 AM »
I don't have a problem with the life/inspirational lyrics either, but I think they've done plenty enough of it recently. I'd like to have JR write some totally spaced-out lyrics, something in the vein of UAGM. He could do it. :hat
I wouldn't hold my breath.  :-\

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4548 on: April 21, 2014, 03:40:05 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath.  :-\

Neither would I. I don't think JR has any desire to write lyrics for DT, and if he isn't inspired to, I wouldn't want him to do it.

But I would like the lyrical duties more evenly split between JP/JLB/JM. In the case of DT12, JLB had already contributed many lyrics to his solo album, which is why he didn't write any this time around, and JM has never written a lot of lyrics for the sake of it. He carefully crafts his lyrics when he's inspired to, plus his recent contributions have been aided by JP, so it still puts load on JP.

Which is why I'd be interested to hear some lyrics penned by JR, although I don't expect him to change his mind.
I don't know if MM has ever written lyrics, but that's something I'd be interested in too! :lol

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #4549 on: April 21, 2014, 04:15:58 AM »
I read some JR lyrics from an earlier solo album, and well, let's just say my socks are still firmly on.