Poll

Do you generally agree with Allmusic's ratings?

usually
2 (14.3%)
a little bit
6 (42.9%)
no
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Allmusic and other popular rating sites  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Ħ

Allmusic and other popular rating sites
« on: December 08, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »
What do you think of the ratings by Allmusic? They seem to consistently cover nearly every release by the artists I've heard. Quite a large scope.

I like their ratings, usually. They've got IAW and TOT with the highest rankings for DT, and I think that's pretty much right. They've got FOABP and SD at the top for PT, and that seems right to me, too. Generally, I don't disagree with what they have to say. So when checking out a new artist, I'll usually check out Allmusic's top suggestion.

What do you think? And if you don't like them, are there any review sites that you trust?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Allmusic and other popular rating sites
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
What do you think? And if you don't like them, are there any review sites that you trust?

Haven't paid any attention to them. I don't really look up music reviews in any capacity.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »
I used to read their stuff a lot as a good indicator of which order to check out albums in. Their reviews are usually barebones and shitty though. I use user-generated sites like Sputnik and Encyclopedia Metallum for reviews now.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »
I've been visiting AMG for years, and I think I finally noticed that they have ratings maybe a year ago.  I think I'm so used to completely ignoring anything that looks like ratings (numbers of stars, or checkmarks, or whatever) that I automatically filter them out.  I agree with what they say about albums about half the time, and the other half I think they just don't get it.  If they happen to mention particular songs in their "reviews" I almost never agree with what they say.  It's a site for the masses, not for people who actually know music.  Yeah, that sounds pretty snobby, but it's true.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:04:55 AM »
I prefer SputnikMusic, myself - they seem to be in line with my tastes more often, though I still check out stuff on YouTube or Spotify, regardless of the reviews that it has gotten, before buying it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
I used to read their stuff a lot as a good indicator of which order to check out albums in. Their reviews are usually barebones and shitty though. I use user-generated sites like Sputnik and Encyclopedia Metallum for reviews now.
This.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 10:50:35 AM »
sputnik is the best

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »
sputnik is the best

never heard about allmusic, but this x2000

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »

This. 

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »
The fact that AMG uses different reviewers to review different albums by the same band kind of makes it inconsistent. I know I've disagreed with a good number of reviews in the past but I haven't been to the site in awhile so I can't think of any good examples.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
All Music is kind of weird, as was said just above me, they use different reviewers on different albums by a band. And the review content can be wildly uneven throughout a discography; one reviewer will write the War and Peace of reviews on Album #1, while Album #2 gets a three sentence review that reads like a bare bones description. Consequently I really don't give much thought to All Music's reviews.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.