Author Topic: The IQ Thread  (Read 61717 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The IQ Thread
« Reply #245 on: October 07, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »
Remember that there’s a lot I haven’t heard, and Frequency is my “first love”....that was the album that hooked me.   

Someone IRL from the MP forum was who made the recommendation at the Transatlantic concert in this area back in 2014 (the night the Seahawks won the Super Bowl)....but I feel bad that I can’t remember who it was.  I know his face...I even saw him again at a QR show about 2 years ago.  (And if you’re reading this please chime in because you changed my freakin life with that recommendation!!). 

Yeah, that was me.  Frequency was my first exposure to IQ as well.  It comes around though, because you got me hooked onto Odd Logic.

OH COOL!!  I’m so glad you spoke up, because that was really bugging me.   Awesome that you got into Odd Logic too.  New album early next year!   

As far as IQ goes, do you have all their stuff now?   I’m still working on my collection, obviously.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: October 08, 2018, 01:45:16 PM »
I had an issue uploading to youtube yesterday and had to re-encode the whole video delaying it by a few hours but I finally finished and it was online last night:

Progstock 2018 - IQ, Enchant, & Tom Brislin's Gold Rotation

IQ starts around the 29 minute mark so that's 30+ minutes of quality IQ footage.   :yarr

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #247 on: October 08, 2018, 02:15:44 PM »
OH COOL!!  I’m so glad you spoke up, because that was really bugging me.   Awesome that you got into Odd Logic too.  New album early next year!   

As far as IQ goes, do you have all their stuff now?   I’m still working on my collection, obviously.

I've got all the Nichols IQ releases on CD (fantastic, very few clunkers) and have listened to the Menel online (very hit-and-miss for me).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #248 on: October 08, 2018, 04:01:00 PM »
I had an issue uploading to youtube yesterday and had to re-encode the whole video delaying it by a few hours but I finally finished and it was online last night:

Progstock 2018 - IQ, Enchant, & Tom Brislin's Gold Rotation

IQ starts around the 29 minute mark so that's 30+ minutes of quality IQ footage.   :yarr

Hell yeah!!  I skimmed through it but I'll watch in detail soon!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #249 on: October 08, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
Is the Ever re-release out in US music stores yet? One of the only three IQ studio albums I have left to buy.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #250 on: October 08, 2018, 06:07:49 PM »
I don't think it's been officially released yet. Promos have gone out and they had a gang of them for sale at the shows (they all sold out before Progstock unfortunately).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #251 on: October 08, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »
Is the Ever re-release out in US music stores yet? One of the only three IQ studio albums I have left to buy.

I don't know about US music stores, but I got a great price going directly through their website...and received it in the mail a week and a half early.   When you use a CC, you get an automatic exchange rate with no mark up.   

After my negative experience of not being able to find their stuff anywhere, and the very positive experience I had using their website (btw....it looks like Holmes himself runs it.  The PayPal payment I made for my last haul went directly to Michael Holmes. So the band gets all the profit for purchase is what I'm assuming that means) I would never go anywhere else to get their stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #252 on: October 08, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »
Ok, here's sexy time pics...

And...the last time I saw them, back in '94, Enchant opened for them as they did this past weekend. So, I took my concert shirt from that show (which they were all very impressed with hahaha) and had both bands sign it. I just got to get the drummer and keyboardist from Enchant on it to be complete...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: October 08, 2018, 07:21:32 PM »
So awesome  :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: October 08, 2018, 07:23:44 PM »
RJ, you should screenshot Mike Jones response to you on Facebook and post it here.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #255 on: October 08, 2018, 07:36:35 PM »
I don't know about US music stores, but I got a great price going directly through their website...and received it in the mail a week and a half early.   When you use a CC, you get an automatic exchange rate with no mark up.   

After my negative experience of not being able to find their stuff anywhere, and the very positive experience I had using their website (btw....it looks like Holmes himself runs it.  The PayPal payment I made for my last haul went directly to Michael Holmes. So the band gets all the profit for purchase is what I'm assuming that means) I would never go anywhere else to get their stuff.

I'll give it a shot. I've had so-so experiences ordering directly from bands' sites, but after how much Road of Bones was in the store ($36 regular, $48 2-disc. What the hell was up with that release?) I'm willing to try it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #256 on: October 08, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »
Shipping is a bit step coming from that part of the world...but it still came out cheaper than that.  My final cost *including shipping* for the 2 CD/1DVD set from the UK to the west coast of the US was 33.95 USD. 

In the end, I do not feel the least bit ripped off.  It was 18L for the disc and 7.25L for shipping and handling.   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:36:18 PM by jammindude »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #257 on: October 08, 2018, 08:16:10 PM »
RJ, you should screenshot Mike Jones response to you on Facebook and post it here.

You mean Mike Holmes....

Yeah, so I posted my pic with Mike and Peter on FB and tagged Mike in it, saying how cool it was to meet my musical heroes. Here was his reply...

I got this in the middle of Mystery's set, and nearly fainted.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: October 08, 2018, 08:20:03 PM »
I knew that. Why the hell did I type Jones? Well, we'll never know. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #259 on: October 08, 2018, 08:40:47 PM »
I knew that. Why the hell did I type Jones? Well, we'll never know. :lol

Blame auto-correct like you normally do. Or were you using voice-to-text?  If so, blame the accent.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: October 09, 2018, 04:07:18 AM »
None of it adds up  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: October 09, 2018, 06:59:52 AM »
 :lol

I also got to meet the famous RJ  :yarr That's such a cool response from him

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: October 09, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »
I must say I have had trouble getting The Road of Bones out of my head, that keyboard is so damn catchy and such a good build up type of song.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2018, 05:43:06 AM »
Yeah, that was also the one song where Peter went full Peter and brought out the hardcore dramatics. Damn he's good.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #264 on: October 11, 2018, 08:17:11 PM »
I’m hoping I can get an ever tour shirt.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline jammindude

« Reply #265 on: October 12, 2018, 07:15:09 AM »
My haul just arrived yesterday. I’m totally stoked!

I haven’t done an A/B comparison, but I listened to the 2013 remix of TFTLA on the way to work, and Gateway sounded amazing. I’m taking next week off before a trip to NYC the week after, so I will have time to digest it all.

The Wake live CD/DVD combo came in a cardboard slipcover, so that was a bit disappointing, but at least now I know why it was marked down 50%. But all in all, everything arrived extremely quickly considering where it was coming from.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:46 AM »
My haul just arrived yesterday. I’m totally stoked!

You should be there are tons of good stuff there...

I haven’t done an A/B comparison, but I listened to the 2013 remix of TFTLA on the way to work, and Gateway sounded amazing. I’m taking next week off before a trip to NYC the week after, so I will have time to digest it all.

To me it's day and night... the album that gained most from a remix.

The Wake live CD/DVD combo came in a cardboard slipcover, so that was a bit disappointing, but at least now I know why it was marked down 50%. But all in all, everything arrived extremely quickly considering where it was coming from.

That is because it is considered a companion to the Wake anniversary box, and fits inside there together with the original CDs.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2018, 04:34:28 PM »
That makes sense.

At first, I was also bummed that the DVD was not region 0 and therefore wouldn’t play on any DVD players in my house. But then I popped it into my computer down in my man cave (which uses a big screen TV for a monitor) and it plays fine there...so totally awesome!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »
The IQ Progstock show is up on Dime. Mystery too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2018, 05:25:15 PM »
I haven't used Dime in a long time but might use it again for this show.

Also,  Subterranea the movie, I recommend it. Just for alfalfa being the lead role.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #270 on: October 14, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »

Got a link? I've never heard of Dime.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2018, 06:17:45 AM »

Got a link? I've never heard of Dime.

dimedozen.org

It's been so long since I've used it, my account was toast.  I've re-registered, and am patiently awaiting the mods to 'upgrade' my class so I can download something.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »
Just watched Scrape Across the Sky today.   WHAT A SHOW!!!   I can't even begin to describe how over the moon I am about this band right now.   They have seriously shot up to a tie with Haken for my #3 all time favorite band.   

The concert video was my first time ever hearing The Seventh House, and within 3 minutes of the song starting, I was already thinking "Is there anything this band does that isn't amazing???"

I've listened to Subterrenea once, but it was a lot to digest all at once.  I loved what I heard...it's just a huge bite to chew all at once. 

Of the albums I've heard (not counting Subterrenea yet...too new):

Ever
Frequency
Tales from the Lush Attic
The Road of Bones
The Wake

And again, it's one of those bands that it's very difficult to put ANY album at the bottom, because they are all so amazing.   

I love falling in love with a new band.  I only wish they were new.  :mehlin

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2018, 01:07:34 AM »
I've been so into this band for the last couple of weeks, owned Road Of Bones for a while and I absolutely adore it, last year couldn't stop listening to Subterrenea either but I never really delved into them too much beyond that.

Really need to start collecting more of their stuff beyond listening to them on YouTube. I did have Scrape Across the Sky on in the background and it was incredible.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #274 on: October 18, 2018, 11:16:08 AM »
I can’t remember the last time I was so completely obsessed with a new discovery like I am now. 

I have this week off work, and it seems like I use all my spare time to try and catch up on what I’ve missed.   I’m recovering from a kidney stone procedure I had yesterday, so when  I got home I just sat in bed and watched the Live in Holland show from 2007.   That was cool to hear earlier versions of a couple of the Frequency songs when it wasn’t quite out yet.   I also watched Subterrenea The Concert and got a chance to digest that a bit more.   

I really need to get The Seventh House ASAP.  From the couple of tracks I’ve heard, that seems to be amazing as well.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #275 on: October 19, 2018, 03:33:58 PM »
Ever means more to me, but Seventh House is my favorite album of theirs. Just an incredible piece of work with an extremely intricate and beautifully crafted concept.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #276 on: October 23, 2018, 05:32:15 AM »
It's one of the best things ever when someone new to a band gets so enthusiastic about them. It's wonderfully infectious.

Quote from: jammindude
I love falling in love with a new band.  I only wish they were new.

I actually think it's better when a band you discover has plenty of back catalogue to digest. Makes the wait for a new album fly by.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #277 on: October 23, 2018, 07:10:28 AM »

I really need to get The Seventh House ASAP.  From the couple of tracks I’ve heard, that seems to be amazing as well.

It really is, been listening to it on my Google Play account for the past few days and it's so so good.

I need to get paid so I can order a few albums. Got my eyes on a few things from my store, also filled my wishlist for my Birthday with their stuff too.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #278 on: November 16, 2018, 02:22:01 AM »
Listening to The Road of Bones (and this band) for the first time. Without Walls is pretty good and has some serious Ayreon vibes  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #279 on: November 16, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »
Listening to The Road of Bones (and this band) for the first time. Without Walls is pretty good and has some serious Ayreon vibes  :metal

If you're into heavier stuff....RoB is definitely their heaviest album.   Most of the rest of their stuff is like the lighter side of DT....in a VERY good way.

What really amazes me (and I may have said this before...I feel very strongly about it) is that I can't believe how much some of the ambience and mood of all their music makes me feel like this is where Genesis would have gone if Gabriel, Hackett, and Banks had become the primary force of the band moving forward.