Author Topic: The IQ Thread  (Read 61672 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The IQ Thread
« Reply #175 on: October 14, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
To those of you who got to see the show...  I hate you all. ;)

I'll reiterate, I like all those songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: October 14, 2017, 11:37:47 PM »
To those of you who got to see the show...  5I hate you all. ;)

Sorry about that.... will try to better myself  ;)

First time in 30 years so I think it might be a while until the next one.
The guys in the band really loved it thogh so hopefully...

Otherwise I might just have to fly out to Zoetemeer.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2017, 11:30:44 PM »
I would love to see them play at least once.  The chances of them doing a tour that gets anywhere close to me is about nothing %...

You know they are not a touring band.

They all have dayjobs so they do all of their recordings and shows in their spare time.
Well Mike is retired from his dayjob so he has the band and the label Giant Electric Pea but can as opposed to the others focus on the music.

They do a couple of shows each year but don't exoect them to come to you... unless you are in England or Holland. Well worth a trip....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2017, 11:43:59 PM »
They did do Quebec last year. Personally I think my best chance would be for them to headline ROSfest again, or drop about 3k for a trip to Europe. That'd be a pricey show, and IQ is the only band I would do it for.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2017, 11:53:30 PM »
They did do Quebec last year. Personally I think my best chance would be for them to headline ROSfest again, or drop about 3k for a trip to Europe. That'd be a pricey show, and IQ is the only band I would do it for.

Well then.... get in touch with the ROSfest organizers and beg them to bring IQ back... might work

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2017, 06:30:47 AM »

Dude, a trip to Europe is worth it by it's own, just do it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »
I'm sure it would be, still doesn't mean I have that type of cash. :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2017, 06:22:57 AM »
I'm sure it would be, still doesn't mean I have that type of cash. :)

Well, seeing how your latest roulette is going I can see you going on TV all Gordon Ramsey and making the money  ;)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2018, 07:54:52 AM »
IQ are coming to U.S.A..... they will be headlining the saturday night at ProgStock festival.

The festival takes place in Rahway, New Jersey, USA at the Union County Performing Arts Center between Friday 5th October and Sunday 7th October.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155458816442817&id=73280092816

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2018, 09:16:43 AM »
It's a great lineup with Mystery and Enchant as well.  Evership is another great (yet unknown) band.  There's a handful of us planning an epic DTF meetup - but only if cheffy-poo decides to join us.

No pressure.

jk... TONS of pressure.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »
Dude.. Seriously, don't rely on me for plans, I can't commit to anything.

Read that again and again until it sinks in, ok?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2018, 12:20:58 PM »
Wish I could go to this rare chance to catch IQ.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »

What I'm hearing is plan on going for the chance to see RJ and be massively disappointed if it doesn't happen, got it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2018, 02:49:28 PM »

What I'm hearing is plan on going for the chance to see RJ and be massively disappointed if it doesn't happen, got it.

:lol :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2018, 03:53:05 PM »
Set the bar low my friends...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2018, 07:44:19 PM »
Set the bar low my friends...

Lighten up Francis... grumpy old fuckers day already happened last month.  ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2018, 10:38:00 PM »
I'm not normally a guitar solo guy.  There are a precious few that literally send chills up my spine.   Comfortably Numb....Eve....

But I think the solo at the end of The Province just joined those ranks.  I think I've listened to that song about 10 times today and I'm just over the moon about that solo.    I'm honestly getting really really emotional about this solo.   HOLY CRAP.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2018, 05:52:34 AM »
I'm not normally a guitar solo guy.  There are a precious few that literally send chills up my spine.   Comfortably Numb....Eve....

But I think the solo at the end of The Province just joined those ranks.  I think I've listened to that song about 10 times today and I'm just over the moon about that solo.    I'm honestly getting really really emotional about this solo.   HOLY CRAP.

I agree, The Province might be the most underrated IQ song I know and one of my absolute favorites by this band. The keyboard solo (though a little Supper's Ready-ish) builds a lot of suspense wich all unloads at this final guitar solo.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
Canadians.... you are in luck

https://www.iq-hq.co.uk/index.php/browse-by-category/live-news/item/iq-canada-dates

IQ will play two shows in Canada prior to their headlining slot at the 2018 ProgStock Festival in the USA.

The dates and venues are:

3rd October 2018 : Salle Jean-Paul Tardif, Quebec City
4th October 2018 : Club Soda, Montreal

We're all really looking forward to these three special shows and hope to see you all there.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2018, 06:18:42 PM »
 Probably going to have to chalk this up as a band I will never get to see live.  Their appearances in the US are so rare, and even when they do it’s always an East Coast date. I’m so bummed these guys aren’t bigger than they are.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2018, 08:49:55 PM »
Probably going to have to chalk this up as a band I will never get to see live.  Their appearances in the US are so rare, and even when they do it’s always an East Coast date. I’m so bummed these guys aren’t bigger than they are.

I feel ya man....I'm still considering Progstock but it won't be an easy go. Time to start selling handjobs on the corner....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #196 on: March 28, 2018, 09:30:43 PM »

I feel ya man....I'm still considering Progstock but it won't be an easy go. Time to start selling handjobs on the corner....

Dude, why didn't you just fucking say so? Just bring that go-getter attitude to the festival and you'll be all set. Plenty of older out of shape guys that will need your services. You'll make flight and hotel costs and then some.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2018, 10:05:49 PM »
 :rollin

Just knowing Chad and King will be there makes that just way too ewww...

Get the visual folks...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 29, 2018, 04:21:23 AM »

Two please!

Regarding them playing Quebec... fucking Quebec City and Montreal!  (that's envy speaking).  They get a lot more shows/acts than Toronto does, despite having less than 1/2 the population combined.  Threshold is also playing warmups there before RoSFest - and I'm trying to figure out if I can economically make that trip.  Not sure I'd ever get the chance to see them otherwise.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »
Subterranea is growing on me with each listen. I've managed to spot all but one of the themes from the Overture in the album. The only one I'm missing is at 1:48.

Anyway... *appreciates Subterranea*

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2018, 09:59:45 PM »
I’m going to orogstock so if anyone is just like “oh idk if I can” I’ll be there so that should be your cue “oh man now I’m def going”
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2018, 10:45:02 PM »
I’m going to orogstock so if anyone is just like “oh idk if I can” I’ll be there so that should be your cue “oh man now I’m def going”

I'm gonna guess....birthday buzz posting?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
Le bump....

IQ announces that at it's upcoming shows, including Progstock, they'll be playing Ever in its entirety...

While it'll be very cool to see one of my favorite and most impactful albums played live, it seems it will hinder a lot of material I haven't seen in the 25 years since I last saw them play.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2018, 07:21:01 AM »
BUMP!!!

Ever was supposed to be my next purchase (I’ve started at the very beginning and I’m skipping the non-Nichols albums for now. I will check them out at some point I’m sure) but when I saw the announcement for the 25th anniversary edition, I just decided to get that instead.

It just arrived in the mail last night (I thought the release date was October?) so I’m on the train on my way to work listening to Ever for the first time in my life as I’m typing.

O.....M......G!!!!!!

With every album I hear, I just keep wondering why Marillion is relatively huge, and IQ is (by comparison) virtually unknown! These guys are just so top notch amazing!!

I do find myself curious of how different this new remix is from the original, but I’m loving it so much that I’m trying not to think about it too much.

Anyone else get theirs????

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2018, 07:36:17 AM »
I think Marillion got their fame because their music is more accessible, but I too prefer IQ over them. Going to give Ever a spi, it has been a while since the last time I did.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »
I'll be buying mine from the band at Progstock, right after I see it performed live in its entirety.  :biggrin:

As to your question, I think H-era Marillion was just a bit more commercially accessible, not sure if they would've done so well if Fish had stayed in the front, and I think they marketed themselves better. Marillion was on the forefront of using the web properly for promotion as well as crowdfunding albums. They worked for that shit for sure, all the while writing the blueprint for music promotion for the new era.

Here's the wiki blurb about it...

Crowdfunding pioneers
Marillion are widely considered to have been one of the first mainstream acts to have fully recognised and tapped the potential for commercial musicians to interact with their fans via the internet, starting in around 1996, and are nowadays often characterised as a rock & roll 'Web Cottage Industry'.[81][82] The history of the band's use of the Internet is described by Michael Lewis in the book Next: The Future Just Happened as an example of how the Internet is shifting power away from established elites, such as multinational record labels and record producers. The band are renowned for having an extremely dedicated following (often self-termed 'Freaks'),[81] with some fans regularly travelling significant distances to attend single gigs, driven in large part by the close fan base involvement which the band cultivate via their website, podcasts, biennial conventions[83] and regular fanclub[84] publications. The release of their 2001 album Anoraknophobia, which was funded by their fans through advance orders instead of by the band signing to a record company, gained significant attention and was called "a unique funding campaign" by the BBC.[85] Writing for The Guardian, Alexis Petridis described Marillion as "the undisputed pioneers" of fan-funded music.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2018, 07:05:43 PM »
I love this album!!!!

It’s easy to see the flaws of the first two. The sound of them is extremely dated. And also, my view might be skewed because I’m sure this 2018 remix is punched up to sound a bit more up to date. But still, there’s a pretty big leap from The Wake to this.

Now the question is, do I buy Subterranea right away, or wait for that to get the same treatment when it turns 25. (Of course the answer is, most likely both)  :rollin

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2018, 07:27:04 PM »
I love this album!!!!

It’s easy to see the flaws of the first two. The sound of them is extremely dated. And also, my view might be skewed because I’m sure this 2018 remix is punched up to sound a bit more up to date. But still, there’s a pretty big leap from The Wake to this.

Now the question is, do I buy Subterranea right away, or wait for that to get the same treatment when it turns 25. (Of course the answer is, most likely both)  :rollin

Buy it man...you won't regret it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2018, 05:47:47 AM »
Do not wait on Subterranea.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2018, 07:01:06 AM »
You need them all.... yes even the two Paul Menel ones...

As for the first two sounding not as good.... get the remixes espescially Tales from the lush attic is sooo much better in the new mix.
Back in the day they spent one day mixing it, the remix was done by Mike Holmes from the original tapes and he spent a month perfecting it. Sounds awesome....