Author Topic: Brave New Sky - nope, AudioPlastik... finally finished!!  (Read 5285 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Brave New Sky - nope, AudioPlastik... finally finished!!
« on: November 22, 2012, 08:35:04 AM »
Holy hell!  From Dec Burke's website:

Past and present members of Frost*, Pain of Salvation, Threshold, Darkwater and the Neal Morse Band join forces in the new band Alpha Flood.

The idea for this band originated in the mind of Dec Burke, former vocalist and guitar player of Frost* and Darwin’s Radio. “I had the desire to form a band that would combine modern progressive rock and metal elements with more song-oriented music,” Dec Burke explains.

“And when time and opportunity presented itself to work with some world class musicians that I have respected and admired for many years, I went all in.”

First on board was Collin Leijenaar, long time live drummer for Neal Morse: “While I was finishing my Affector album Dec called to ask if I would be interested in joining his new band. Being a fan of Dec’s music, I jumped in without hesitating.” Kristoffer Gildenlöw (ex-Pain of Salvation), Simon Andersson (Darkwater) and Richard West (Threshold) soon followed to complete the line up. Richard: “I wasn’t looking to join another band but when I heard the music it was so compellingly beautiful that I couldn’t resist.” Simon adds: “To be asked to form a band with these musicians was a true honour. Years ago I used to play along to their songs, imagining how it would be to be in a band with them. And now here we are. I'm thrilled!“

Dec: “As soon as we started writing music together it was obvious that there's an awesome chemistry between us. And rest assured, this is not a one-album project, but a band that's here to stay!“ Alpha Flood is currently in the studio recording their debut album to be released in 2013. Kristoffer ends: “We can’t wait to bring this music to the stage and kick some serious ass!”

Line-up:

Dec Burke – vocals & guitars

Kristoffer Gildenlöw – bass guitars

Richard West – keyboards

Simon Andersson – guitars

Collin Leijenaar – drums

Stay tuned for more Alpha Flood news in the coming weeks and follow them at the official facebook page.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:43:42 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Alpha Flood - Burke/Gildenlow/West
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 09:01:23 AM »
I hope it's not as bad as Flying Colors!

The writup seems eerily similar to what we heard about FC.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:06:42 AM »
I hope it's as good as Flying Colors!

FTFY :tup

Anyways... Collin sure has been busy since not touring with Neal...I wonder if he misses it? I still have yet to hear Affector's album, but I've heard good things about it. THIS band, however, sure has an interesting line-up. I've only heard of Dec thru Frost*, only know about Threshold (never actually heard them), and I've never even heard of Darkwater, and I know of POS but very little of them.

The way it sounds, this will be some intense metal music with prog thrown in, and I know these guys probably have great chops, so it'll be interesting to hear them play together. I love it when bands like this happen because when a fan knows one or two of the members, they're likely to pick it up and then go "Hmm, these guys are good! I wonder what else they're doing/they've done", and subsequently, open the door to the individual members' other bands/projects/albums! Transatlantic did that for me 8 years ago and I discovered SOOOO much music thru those four members.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »
I hope it's as good as Flying Colors!

FTFY :tup

Anyways... Collin sure has been busy since not touring with Neal...I wonder if he misses it? I still have yet to hear Affector's album, but I've heard good things about it. THIS band, however, sure has an interesting line-up. I've only heard of Dec thru Frost*, only know about Threshold (never actually heard them), and I've never even heard of Darkwater, and I know of POS but very little of them.

The way it sounds, this will be some intense metal music with prog thrown in, and I know these guys probably have great chops, so it'll be interesting to hear them play together. I love it when bands like this happen because when a fan knows one or two of the members, they're likely to pick it up and then go "Hmm, these guys are good! I wonder what else they're doing/they've done", and subsequently, open the door to the individual members' other bands/projects/albums! Transatlantic did that for me 8 years ago and I discovered SOOOO much music thru those four members.

-Marc.

Go get Affector asap.  One of my top albums of the year
If you like Frost*, check out Dec's solo albums as well as Darwin's Radio.  Dec has a couple songs out on SoundHound.
If you like prog-metal, then Threshold is something to check out. I'd put it in the vein of Evergrey, Circus Maximus (at least, compared to 1st Chapter and Isolate) etc ...  There's the Damian Wilson albums, and the Andrew "Mac" MacDermott albums.  IMO, can't go wrong with any of them.  I'm absolutely loving their latest release (I'd rank it higher than Harmagedon as far as 2012 releases go, and both higher than FC), which is more proggy than any of their previous 8 (9?) albums.
Darwkater I've heard bits and pieces of.  I think Nem is a huge fan.
I'm a big fan of Gildenlow's work, but only so-so on PoS.

TAC... seriously?  FC was a disappointment for you!?!?  :facepalm:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »
He's not the only one disappointed in it. I've tried to get into it half a dozen times and my interest just peters out about six songs in. This project does sound interesting: I really liked Darwin's Radio and there's some good players in the line up.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »

only know about Threshold (never actually heard them), and I know of POS but very little of them.

Seriously?  Based on what I know of your musical tastes, those two statements are absolutely shocking.  I think it is time you change that, Threshold is definitely in your wheelhouse, and POS probably is.

As j.b knows, I'll be on this like white on rice.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »
I'll be on this like white on rice.
Seconded.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »

only know about Threshold (never actually heard them), and I know of POS but very little of them.

Seriously?  Based on what I know of your musical tastes, those two statements are absolutely shocking.  I think it is time you change that, Threshold is definitely in your wheelhouse, and POS probably is.

As j.b knows, I'll be on this like white on rice.

Honestly, I've tried with POS, and I started with BE (back when, I believe, it was their most popular and most recent album when I heard of them), and I enjoyed it somewhat, but I never really grew attached to them. I did end up getting both Road Salt albums and recall enjoying them last year, but like BE, I just never got that IN to them. I will admit that they are good albums, but over the last year or two, I've listened to less and less prog metal (and metal in general), which likely a reason why I haven't tried out Threshold quite yet. I've heard some song samples and they're good, but I've been less into the metal-end of the prog spectrum lately. There's very few heavy bands I listen to anymore, Dream Theater remaining one of them, so I'm not sure if I'll warm up to any "new" heavier bands. My tastes have slightly changed over the last year or two, to more symphonic/classic prog and slightly less away from heavier stuff, although that could all change next year, with a ton of heavier albums to be released (DT included). This year just held a lot of prog for me (Neal Morse, Marillion, The Flower Kings, etc. etc.) and not a lot of heavier stuff.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 10:34:56 AM »

TAC... seriously?  FC was a disappointment for you!?!?  :facepalm:
I literally couldn't make it through one listen.
The vocals are boring as hell.
And for the talent of the players..let 'em PLAY!

Listening to FC was like driving a Lambourgigi through a school zone! Why bother?  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »
^ That is Nick-level fail.  I'm honestly stunned.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »
^ That is Nick-level fail.  I'm honestly stunned.

:metal :metal

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 07:19:33 AM »
:drool:

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
hopefully this project's as good as flying colors.

i was kinda hoping that The Shadow Theory album that Kristoff(er?) played on was gonna be more than a one-off album...im guessing they didnt grow into anything near a full-time band.  :sad:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »
I know it's probably a super popular name, but is the guitarist Simon the same Simon who played bass for PoS?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
I know it's probably a super popular name, but is the guitarist Simon the same Simon who played bass for PoS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Andersson

If Wikipedia can be trusted, then YES, it is the same Simon Andersson. Looks like Alpha Flood has 2 POS alumni! Good news for POS fans!

-Marc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
That must be weird.

Simon: I remember once I played bass for this super talented band with a complete douche as a lead singer
Kristopher: Yea me too.....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »
I do like Darkwater, though.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »
This sounds really promising. Have to chech them out later.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »
So wait a minute? Neal Morse drums, Threshold keyboards, Pain of Salvation bass, Darkwater guitars and the Frost* singer? This can't be anything else than awesome.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
That must be weird.

Simon: I remember once I played bass for this super talented band with a complete douche as a lead singer
Kristopher: Yea me too.....
:lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 04:38:41 AM »
Yeah, I am all in on this album.  Can't wait!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 04:46:24 AM »
Already my most anticipated release for 2013.  Mason is on it like white on rice... I'm on it like a cougar on a wounded chicken.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
Already my most anticipated release for 2013.  Mason is on it like white on rice... I'm on it like a cougar on a wounded chicken teenager.
FIFY :)

This sounds pretty neat.  Gonna have to keep my ears open for this one.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »
Sounds promising. I've always liked Kristoffer Gildenlow.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »
Sweet zombie jesus. What a lineup.

Is there anything more valuable than money I could throw at them? Fabergé eggs, children's smiles, whatever - take it, make the record, and then inject it directly into my brain.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »
Interview up with Dec - https://www.progrockmag.com/news/dec-burke-unveils-new-band-alpha-flood/

What are your immediate plans?
Immediate plans are to get recording underway. We have a lot of material demoed up. The plan is to do a song and let people hear that, and at the same time record the album proper with a view of having that ready by early spring. We may have a little teaser available as early as December, all being well. As far a live shows go we would love to. We are speaking with promoters at the moment.

:frank:

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 12:50:19 AM »
 :laugh:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 01:00:15 AM »
Already my most anticipated release for 2013.  Mason is on it like white on rice... I'm on it like a cougar on a wounded chicken.

Totally agreed, I'm on this one like a homeless guy on a free buffet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 04:57:07 AM »
This band sounds promising.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Adami

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
I'm on this like a middle/upper class guy on a 7 dollar check.

You know, I'll get around to it eventually but don't really feel a strong sense of excitement.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »
I'm skipping this like a kid playing hopscotch! :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
FB post today:

Preproduction gets underway this weekend for the recording of our debut album. We'll add some video footage soon!! AF

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »

Very cool lookin.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »
 :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 05:19:03 AM »
Well this sucks.  From their FB page.

You might have heard the rumors, and yes they are true. Due to conflicting time schedules, different interests and opposite ideas of working together Kristoffer, Dec and Simon decided to leave Alpha Flood. And thus resulting in the end for Alpha Flood in it’s current form.

It all looked very promising in the beginning but sadly things did not work out the way we all hoped. We are all glad we gave it a try but sometimes things are just not meant to be.

I wish Kristoffer, Richard, Dec & Simon all the best with their current and future endeavors.
Dec & Simon will continue to work together and you can expect new music from them soon. Kristoffer will release his solo CD ‘Rust’ on May 24. And Richard is making awesome music with Threshold! As for me, the new album of Dilemma is nearly finished and I’m working on the second Affector album.

So for now the ‘Alpha Flood concept’ has been put aside but in the future you can expect a new take from me on what could have been Alpha Flood. With a different line-up and a promising concept! Hope to see you on the road sometime!
Thank you all for your awesome support, rock on!
Collin Leijenaar

:sadpanda: :sadpanda:

This was one of my most anticipated releases for the year.   :sad: :sad: