Author Topic: Thank You Scientist  (Read 35636 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Thank You Scientist
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2015, 08:43:06 AM »
I don't like his singing. I probably won't hang around long enough to see them. Mosh, maybe I will see you Saturday! Though I have no idea what you look like  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2015, 09:07:26 AM »
Spence was giving it his all in Albuquerque,  really cool. You couldn't tell he had strep

Thank You Scientist kicked ass though, only me and another guy I met pretty much knew of them. After their first song, they won the audience. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2015, 05:26:32 PM »
Mosh, maybe I will see you Saturday! Though I have no idea what you look like  :lol
Thad'd be cool! True though, I don't know if I'd be easy to spot. :lol I have longish hair, a beard, and will probably be wearing an Iron Maiden shirt.   :hat
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
Well if you wanna have a mini meetup, send me your info! I'm not sure if I will be hanging with them before the show or not, but I did offer to buy my friend a beer across the street at some point so we may be at Falling Rock before/after the show.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »
I bought this album 'cause I needed to find stuff to buy with Juggernaut for free amazon shipping and 'cause I listened to their EP on bandcamp a bit earlier and liked that so hopefully this won't disappoint me

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2015, 02:12:16 AM »
IMO the album is miles ahead of the EP.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »
The album is way, way, gooder.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2015, 11:20:36 AM »
hype hype hype
good thing i still have to wait until next week for stuff to arrive yay

Offline Mosh

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »
Well if you wanna have a mini meetup, send me your info! I'm not sure if I will be hanging with them before the show or not, but I did offer to buy my friend a beer across the street at some point so we may be at Falling Rock before/after the show.
Cool! I'll shoot you a PM when I can find a recent pic.  :lol

I'll be with a friend so I'm not totally sure what the plan is, but at the very least we should say hello before/after TYS or something. It's a small venue so I'm sure we'd run into each other anyway.  :P
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2015, 05:13:25 AM »
After two spins, I have decided that I want to buy this album on CD.
I compared the original release with the rerelease and I think that the new version is appalling. A perfect example of brickwalling by dynamics compression.

@bout to crash: Is there still some way to obtain the original release? All online stores seem to have removed it. I'd love to throw my money at the band.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »
After two spins, I have decided that I want to buy this album on CD.
I compared the original release with the rerelease and I think that the new version is appalling. A perfect example of brickwalling by dynamics compression.

@bout to crash: Is there still some way to obtain the original release? All online stores seem to have removed it. I'd love to throw my money at the band.

Man am I glad I bought the original CD when I did! I was actually hoping for the opposite... oh well.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2015, 08:23:02 AM »
Hmm, I have no idea but I can ask when I see them tonight!

Offline me7

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2015, 05:50:37 AM »
I retract my statement about the new version being "appalling". It was based on the soundcloud stream from the homepage: https://www.thankyouscientist.net/2014/08/12/tys-signs-to-evil-ink/
The underlying mp3 file is very bad, lots of smearing and distortion that one could mistake for a brickwalled master. Not sure how this happened, there is no reason for a mp3 file to sound like that in 2015.

The actual album isn't brickwalled, but I still prefer the original version.
The original master sounds very "raw" and "live". All instruments are on a similar volume and it's up to you what lines you want to focus your attention on. It sounds a bit like a jazz record.
The new master is more like your typical rock record. The volumes the instruments is toyed with a lot to guide your attention. Sometimes the saxophone, trumpet and violin are dialed back, other times all instruments are equally audible.

Neither version is appalling and I'll give both version another shot before I settle for one.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
Hmm, I have no idea but I can ask when I see them tonight!
Sorry I never got back to you. It ended up being a really crazy week and I wasn't even sure if I'd make it to the concert until almost the last minute.

But holy shit TYS was amazing. They stole the show as far as I'm concerned. Also ran into them by chance while waiting in line for food and got to hang out with them for a bit.  Very cool guys! 

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »
They are! They actually gave me a ride home so I didn't have to walk like two miles in the snow :lol

me7, Odin told me he doesn't think they have any extras of the original album version, but yeah, he did basically confirm what you said about the instrument volumes and whatnot. I haven't heard the new one but I'm glad I have the original  :D

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2015, 12:14:17 AM »
Hahaha, their pic on Facebook.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »
Do you mean the adorable little clay versions of them?? My friend actually made those; her brother was the former bassist.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »
No, I think he's talking about the photo of them in L.A. where they aren't wearing pants!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2015, 06:01:42 PM »
Ohh, just saw that. Beautiful  :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2015, 08:21:17 PM »
So the band were giving the EP for free at the gigs with purchase of a t-shirt, so I got to hear it for the first time. I wasn't expecting much since a lot of band's early demos/EPs usually aren't as refined or have the sound that makes the albums so great, but I was really impressed with this one! Some really awesome tracks here. Mindblowing playing too.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2015, 10:39:23 PM »
So the band were giving the EP for free at the gigs with purchase of a t-shirt, so I got to hear it for the first time. I wasn't expecting much since a lot of band's early demos/EPs usually aren't as refined or have the sound that makes the albums so great, but I was really impressed with this one! Some really awesome tracks here. Mindblowing playing too.

For Our show it was buy MoNEP and get their ep free.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2015, 11:13:22 PM »
Oh maybe that was it. I bought both the album and a shirt and trouble hearing their merch guy so I wasn't sure.  :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2015, 02:05:55 AM »
haha...Yeah it was. I bought a shirt and the EP, the merch guy said if you buy the album you'll get the ep free. I told him, I already have that cd though.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2015, 02:39:31 PM »
so I'm currently being blown away by this album and I'm only on my second listen, jesus christ

do I have the original master or the rerelease, is there any way to tell

'cause I wouldn't be able to tell unless told

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2015, 03:16:21 PM »
Living up to the hype, eh?  :biggrin:

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2015, 03:41:34 PM »
so I'm currently being blown away by this album and I'm only on my second listen, jesus christ

do I have the original master or the rerelease, is there any way to tell

'cause I wouldn't be able to tell unless told

check the copyright.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »
Well okay I can check the copyright but I'm not sure what that does for me, if it's different on the two different versions I wouldn't know which one I have :P

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
I'll need to check when I get home (assuming I can find the CD case) but I believe the original was 2012 and the new one is 2014 (?).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2015, 04:14:55 PM »
Oh, I definitely have the remaster then. It sounds fine to me though, I'm not exactly an audiophile :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »
i'm listening to this a lot

holy christ is it still just incredible

omg

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »
I'm gonna bump this again 'cause I want to post song rating that's the cool kid thing to do right right? no i guess it's not but screw it

Carnival
My Famed Disappearing Act
Blood on the Radio
Feed the Horses
In the Company of Worms
A Salesman's Guide to Nonexistence
Concrete Swan Dive
Absentee
Suspicious Waveforms

granted this album never really dips below like 8/10 anyways so it might be a bit futile to rank these and a few of them are a bit arbitrary though Carnival is definitely my favorite, but the first 5 are about on an even plane all things considered, there's just too much to love here

I can say for certainty that I'm hyped for their next album. And need to purchase/listen to the EP some more, even if it's not as good. 'Cause "not as good" is still "good".
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:01:39 PM by Parama »

Offline me7

« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2015, 02:04:25 AM »
Suspicious Waveforms is my favourite track.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2015, 08:39:26 AM »
Suspicious Waveforms is awesome. Would love more instrumentals on the next disc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2015, 07:03:53 PM »
not that I have anything against Suspicious Waveforms  :lol
It gives the band a pedestal to show off their progginess and their skill without going overboard on either and the song is certainly well-written, it just doesn't appeal to me quite as much for whatever reason. Absentee only beats it because Absentee has a god-tier back half that would be top 5 on its own but has a not-as-good front half that's probably my least favorite stretch of the entire album (not that it's bad-bad at all)

also my rankings changed again because the top 5 are basically in random order lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2015, 11:38:01 PM »
they played a new song at the concert i went to tonight, i thought it was pretty great. a bit more proggy than Maps stuff but still had a lot to love about it, definitely excited for their second album now  :lol
also got a physical copy of their EP so I'm more inclined to spin it a ton now, yeessss