Author Topic: Thank You Scientist  (Read 35623 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Thank You Scientist
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2016, 06:35:30 PM »
tbh i vastly prefer the remaster to the original mix of maps. i think everything still comes through just fine and it just sounds more... together.

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #211 on: September 04, 2016, 07:27:25 AM »
I don't understand why people say the mix of Stranger Heads Prevail sounds lifeless? I never heard the original original album but to me, This mix of the new album sounded Really professional, Same thing when going from Vapor Trails to Vapor Trails 2013. It sounds cleaner and much more put together, which is what I look for in music, actually. Again, I have nothing to compare TYS to but I just think it sounds really solid the way it is now.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2016, 07:37:06 AM »
Can't wait to see them for the first time tonight!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #213 on: September 19, 2016, 11:41:54 PM »
I can't begin to say how tight, talented, and fun this band was live. So. Fucking. Fun. They had the crowd rocking hard all show long, and I can honestly say My Famed Dissapearing Act could be one of the best concert closing songs written, god they brought the house down with that one. Been singing ti all day.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: September 19, 2016, 11:43:07 PM »
getting me all hyped, seeing 'em tomorrow  :lol

to be fair, this will be my second time seeing them and they totally killed it even with a pretty short set last time so  :corn

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2016, 08:55:56 AM »
I've listened to Mr. Invisible in particular an almost unhealthy number of times since seeing them open for Haken a few weeks ago.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2016, 08:03:53 PM »
getting me all hyped, seeing 'em tomorrow  :lol

to be fair, this will be my second time seeing them and they totally killed it even with a pretty short set last time so  :corn

Are you here now?  I'm at the bar in the ugly Lebowski sweater.....come say hi!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2016, 10:15:10 PM »
they kinda totally killed it  :metal

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2016, 01:56:33 PM »
Saw them headline week before last. They put on an incredible show yet again. Best part was I got to see them play Blood on the Radio!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2016, 08:33:52 AM »
Spotify have just notified me, via email, that there is a mini live album available. It's got 4 songs and it's called 'Live at the Audiotree' or something. Listening now and it's pretty cool  :metal

Offline Skeever

« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2016, 08:36:48 AM »
Spotify have just notified me, via email, that there is a mini live album available. It's got 4 songs and it's called 'Live at the Audiotree' or something. Listening now and it's pretty cool  :metal

Audiotree is awesome dude. Definitely check out more bands that do live shows there, pretty awesome stuff usually!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2016, 08:42:32 AM »
Was anybody else at the Denver show last night? I forgot to ask ahead of time :lol
What a blast, as usual! They killed it.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #222 on: October 02, 2016, 03:10:24 PM »
Saw these guys open for Haken at the Foundry! They were great, even though the singer was really sick. The singer of the other opening band joined in for the chorus of My Famed Dissapearing Act.  :D

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2016, 12:20:50 AM »
Yup, they had something going around that I sort of caught after hanging out last week. Thank gawd for vitamin c and shit. But yeah, always impresses me when musicians can be sick as fuck and still kick ass- last time I saw the Aristocrats two of them had the flu but you never would have known if they hadn't told the audience. I think about how hard it is to do my job sick and it baffles me.

Now I just need to fix my damn record player so I can listen to this album on vinyl, finally!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #224 on: August 14, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
Had tickets for the show on Friday, got an email last night that TYS was no longer headlining and I would be refunded.

Found out this afternoon why, from Ellis's facebook page:

Hey all.
So, after a lot of searching, I've decided to step down as the saxophonist of Thank You Scientist. It's been a great experience for sure and I wish the guys all the best!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2017, 01:23:42 PM »
Ah, that sucks. The sax was one of the elements that made these guys stand out from the pack. Hopefully they can find a replacement.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2017, 01:27:07 PM »
I won't say anything specific until I see it posted publicly, but apparently Ellis is not the only person who has left.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »
UGHHHH.

Andrew has left and that's not who I was referring to, so there is (at least) one more yet to come.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
What is really displeasing about this is that 3+ members don't leave the week of a local show on great terms. There had to be some level of turmoil for this to happen.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »
Oh no, this sucks :<

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #230 on: August 14, 2017, 02:03:38 PM »
Indeed it does.

Also, this is pretty random, but I went to their Wiki page to see if anything had been posted, which led me to the Stranger Heads Prevail page, and Bumblefoot is credited with vocals on Prologue.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
I had a feeling that it was only a matter of time. The psychology dynamics of a 4 person band makes it hard enough to stay together, let alone a 7 person band.

When I first got in to them, I was like "wow, how amazing that all 7 of the get along well enough to keep this thing rolling". Still shitty news though. One of my favorite bands

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »
For the event page this Friday here is what was posted:

We regret to inform you that we will not be performing at Crossroads this Friday. Our evil folk metal buddies in Windfaerer (featuring our lovable string boy Ben Karas) were kind enough to fill in for us. Karmic Juggernaut (featuring our love-able bassboy Cody McCorry) @No More Pain and Sentient Moss put on damn fine shows as well, so don't sleep on this bill! Stay tuned for some major updates in TYS land and some exciting tour news!

Disheartening about this is that it doesn't acknowledge the two people who have already said they are stepping down, and that there has been no update on the general TYS page. It does mean that we will at least have guitar, bass, and violin staying the same going forward.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2017, 05:44:13 PM »
I thought this band was quite good when I saw them open for Devin Townsend back in May, but I never bothered getting anything.  I think I'd have a hard time listening to them regularly given the sound of the trumpet and how regularly it is featured.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #234 on: September 16, 2017, 09:55:51 PM »
From the Facebook page:

*MAJOR UPDATE*
We are all sad to announce that we've mutually parted ways with Odin Alvarez, Ellis Jasenovic, and Andrew Digrius. Being in a touring band is extremely complicated, and it presents life with many unique challenges. We hope that everyone understands that this decision was made with the best interest of the band in mind, in order to keep the music alive and moving forward. We will keep you updated on their new endeavors, and we send them nothing but support on their respective new paths.
We are so excited to FINALLY announce our new band members: Joe Fadem on drums, Sam Greenfield on sax(s), and Joe Gullace on trumpet. We have posted some teaser videos so you can get to know the newboys. Listen in awe as Joe F. makes a drum solo out of a restaurant yelp review. Feast your ears on Sam Greenfield slaying with Vulfpeck and Three Oranges. Hang on to your seats as the BOTH JOES engage in a "JAZZ DUAL" in our brother band We Used to Cut the Grass.
Our new line-up makes it's DEBUT October 20 at the Electric Halloween Festival in Millville, NJ. We will round out this weekend with additional performances at Hard Rock Cafe Pittsburgh 10/21 and Progtoberfest in Chicago 10/22
Please send positive vibes to our NEWBOYZ as they have been tirelessly working to to prepare for our upcoming dates as well as a SOON TO BE ANNOUNCED TOUR (tune in next week) and NEW ALBUM.
Most Tom Monda-ly,
Tom Monda

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »
Bad news, but at least Tom and Salvador are still there. I'm sure the new members will pull their weight. Sucks though, I met all the guys at a show in Lawrence I went to and they were so much fun. Got them all to sign my SHP vinyl and Sam even drew a hairy penis under his signature (with my permission). Sad to see them go.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »
So Thank You Scientist have announced European dates for the end of this year! Excited

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157061871119466&id=197288774465

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2017, 07:11:36 AM »
I'll be seeing these guys in Pittsburgh on Oct. 21st. I'll report back!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2017, 08:24:16 PM »
Cool, mikeyd23, have a great show!
I'm very curious how the new members will fit in the band, specially the new drummer. The only members not replaced are the guitarist, bassist and vocalist, right?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
I'm very curious how the new members will fit in the band, specially the new drummer. The only members not replaced are the guitarist, bassist and vocalist, right?

Plus the violinist. Also curious to hear how they sound with the new members, I'll be seeing them the following Saturday.
Photobucket sucks.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »
I'll let you guys know how it sounds (I'm sure they'll be tight). This will be my first time seeing them live though, so all I have to compare to is YouTube vids  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2017, 09:44:29 AM »

Plus the violinist. Also curious to hear how they sound with the new members, I'll be seeing them the following Saturday.

That same day I'll be watching Axeman watching Thank You Scientist.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2017, 10:11:37 AM »

Creep. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »

Creep. :lol

That's nothing compared to what I was up to while he was sleeping on my couch a couple weeks ago :eyebrows:
Photobucket sucks.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #244 on: October 23, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
Saw the band Saturday night in Pittsburgh. They were awesome, everything sounded absolutely tight and incredible.

The new drummer and horn section literally didn't miss a note, hard to believe that this was their second show together.

Set list -

Wrinkle
The Somnambulist
Caverns
Blood on the Radio
Mr. Invisible
Rube Goldberg Variations
Psychopomp
The Amateur Arsonist's Handbook
My Famed Disappearing Act

Oh also, Tom is a ridiculously, crazy good guitar player.