« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
Fuck yes~ :heart

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: CYNIC
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »
The only Cynic album I care two shits about is Focus. Can someone point me in the direction of more music like that?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2013, 03:44:46 PM »
^Carbon Based Anatomy was okay, but I'm somewhat with you. Focus is awesome, Traced in Air is boring as fuck. And the Portal Tapes were probably worse.

I will check out their new record certainly, but I guess if it's mostly resembling CBA, I may give up on them ever making something like Focus again.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
I really can't imagine them ever going back to that sound, but maybe I'm wrong.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2013, 03:55:02 PM »
Actually its thanks to their GayBook page that I found out. It's one of their comments.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151956639819936&set=a.387278574935.165208.32178939935&type=1&theater

Touché; I stand corrected.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »
I'm the exact opposite.  :lol Love Traced In Air, but every time I try and get into Focus all I can think is "why would anyone like this?".
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Because Focus is awesome. :P

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2013, 09:09:19 PM »
They're all good. I really enjoyed The Portal Tapes and wish that album and Focus had the production of Traced In Air.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

• DT.net Member
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2013, 10:47:14 PM »
Back on (my) topic, is there anything else out there that has that Focus vibe? I don't need vocoder vocals but definitely need harsh vocals in it. Clean vocals of any kind to add to the depth would be nice though.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
Given The Portal Tapes/Portal were written not long after Focus, I was figuring they would resemble Focus, but they didn't. I was bored to tears.

As far as albums like Focus, I honestly haven't found anything exactly like it. Some people compare The Faceless, which I guess their 1st album, Akeldama, I find to be their best record, but I don't typically think of Cynic necessarily when I hear it.

You have bands like Obscura, Atheist (duh), Gordian Knot, Aghora and Spiral Architect among others suggested as "similar artists" on last.fm.

I would endorse Spiral Architect's "A Skeptic's Universe" as that record is quite good, although like The Faceless, I don't necessarily hear blatantly obvious similarities, but there are some still.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2013, 09:41:13 AM »
Cynic is one of my favorite bands ever, just a shame they have such a small catalog. TiA is my personal favorite, I just think their song writing on that album was impossibly magnificent. Space, Integral, Sleeper, King of Those Who Know, just a ridiculous collection of amazing songs. A beautiful album. I would kill for more like it. Focus is great but just doesn't have the beauty that Traced has.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »
I would endorse Spiral Architect's "A Skeptic's Universe" as that record is quite good

Lol, that's been my alltime favorite album for 12 years. Spot-on recommendation despite it tragically being something I was already aware of. I also have both Gordian Knots (fuck yeah Muttersprache and Reflections!) and Atheist's original 3 albums. I like what I've heard from Obscura though and I'll be sure to check out Aghora.

Great post dude :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2013, 02:30:16 AM »
I shoudl check that Spiral Architect album out.  I've seen it recommended a lot over the time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2013, 08:12:47 AM »
Spiral Architect is bloody fantastic, but their music is a bit more technically oriented than Cynic, a lot of changes in their songs. They can be a bit overwhelming, but worth the trip.

As for the debate over Focus-I actually think that had Cynic continued, we would have wound up where we are now anyway. The death metal aspects in Focus always felt a little grudging to me, the band holding onto their death metal origins when they really wanted to explore other areas. Focus is a great album, don't get me wrong, but I think we still would have gotten to Traced In Air had the band never broken up.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »
I would endorse Spiral Architect's "A Skeptic's Universe" as that record is quite good

Lol, that's been my alltime favorite album for 12 years. Spot-on recommendation despite it tragically being something I was already aware of. I also have both Gordian Knots (fuck yeah Muttersprache and Reflections!) and Atheist's original 3 albums. I like what I've heard from Obscura though and I'll be sure to check out Aghora.

reflections is straight up gangsta as shit

from their Facebook

2-14-14

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2013, 09:22:53 AM »

Yessss you need to check out that Obscura in depth! Omnivium is a masterpiece.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2013, 10:05:32 AM »
Oh my God. That picture got me WAYYYYYYY too excited. I don't think I've been as excited for a new album... well, ever. I don't think I've ever been as excited for a new piece of music. A new DT/Rush/Metallica album comes out, that's expected. But man.... oh my lord I can't wait. I'm going to spend the next 4 months of my life staring at that image an unhealthy amount

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »
I really hope this album is 40 minutes or longer. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
NEW ALBUM ART HOLY CRAPSTICKS

I'm seriously more excited for this than I have been for any album this year, including DT12.

Offline adace

« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »
Love that artwork. Can't wait for this. :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2013, 01:27:37 AM »
That artwork rules.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2013, 03:16:04 AM »
Progressive rock/metal band CYNIC will release its new album, "Kindly Bent To Free Us", on February 14, 2014 via Season Of Mist. Songtitles set to appear on the effort, which was recorded at Perfect Sound studios in Hollywood, California with engineer Jason Donaghy, include "Endlessly Bountiful", "Moon Heart Sun Head" and "True Hallucination Speak".

The group's drummer, Sean Reinert, previously stated in an online posting: "Some people are gonna be pissed and others are gonna say 'thank you!!!' I'm with the latter!"

He added: "It's a bold new sound for CYNIC and marks a gigantic leap in the band's progression."

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cynic-to-release-kindly-bent-to-free-us-in-february/#bVcM9QfGxCBOy8Av.99

Interesting to see what direction this album is going to be.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2013, 11:38:20 AM »
Guarantee a lot of people here will be among the pissed group.

That saying makes me excited as I love when bands deviate and are not afraid of fans highly impossible expectations.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »
I think it's going to be more similar to the sounds they explored on Carbon.. not a bad thing at all I must say but I do love the sound the capture on Traced in Air.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »
I'm hoping it sounds similar to Carbon Based Anatomy (without all the segue tracks).
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »
So according to recent interviews on their European tour they have a new album planned for the summer. Apparently CBA is to the new album what Re-Traced was to Traced In Air, colour me excited. :D

This post caught my interest.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #166 on: November 12, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »
Yes, that sounds marvelous. :metal

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »
Cynic wouldn't be Cynic if they repeated themselves, this is glorious news.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2013, 04:09:23 AM »
"Kindly Bent To Free Us" track listing:

01. True Hallucination Speak
02. The Lion’s Roar
03. Kindly Bent To Free Us
04. Infinite Shapes
05. Moon Heart Sun Head
06. Gitanjali
07. Holy Fallout
08. Endlessly Bountiful
09. Earth Is My Witness (deluxe CD book exclusive bonus track)

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cynic-kindly-bent-to-free-us-track-listing-revealed/#q80yZtX0QsoDGZ7t.99

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »
I'm hoping it sounds similar to Carbon Based Anatomy (without all the segue tracks).

Yeah. Sometimes I'll listen to the whole EP, but I mostly listen to the "song" songs on the album. Feels like there's only 2 out of 6 that aren't there for the sake of segues.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2013, 08:04:48 PM »
"Kindly Bent To Free Us" track listing:

01. True Hallucination Speak
02. The Lion’s Roar
03. Kindly Bent To Free Us
04. Infinite Shapes
05. Moon Heart Sun Head
06. Gitanjali
07. Holy Fallout
08. Endlessly Bountiful
09. Earth Is My Witness (deluxe CD book exclusive bonus track)

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cynic-kindly-bent-to-free-us-track-listing-revealed/#q80yZtX0QsoDGZ7t.99

Based on the Names, its going to be another great spiritual inspirational cynic album

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2013, 08:06:58 PM »
I wasn't a big fan of the last EP, so I don't have much expectations for this.  Saying that, I'm still looking forward to it and am open to whatever the band give us.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2013, 08:16:12 PM »
I wasn't a big fan of the last EP, so I don't have much expectations for this.  Saying that, I'm still looking forward to it and am open to whatever the band give us.

Good, High expectations means greater disappointment.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »
FINALLY, new Cynic, The Lion's Roar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Z-vn67srU&feature=player_embedded

Simply beautiful!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »