Author Topic: Organic Chemistry problems (help pr0x)  (Read 993 times)

Offline Ħ

Organic Chemistry problems (help pr0x)
« on: November 09, 2012, 01:23:59 PM »

I've got a problem set due in a few hours with a few questions that are pretty tough. Could someone help me out?

1) If R group is -CH3?(2 products)
2) If R group is -NO2? (1 product)
3) If R group is -CH2CH3, and we add Pd and PR3 and remove KNH2? (1 product)
4) If R group is -CH3 (and Br is converted to NH2), and we change KNH2 to NaNO2, H2O and HCl at 0 C? (1 product, then add heat for another product)

I've got that (1) is nucleophilic aromatic substitution which involves a benzyne intermediate by swapping -Cl for -NH2.

For (2), is that just regular old electrophilic aromatic substitution, where we add -NH2 to the carbon right next to chlorine? That doesn't make sense though, as NH2- is a nucleophile, so I dunno.

For (3), I think that will just swap the -Cl for -NH2? I was originally thinking it would give -OH (that's what in my notes for this reaction), but there's nowhere you would get the -OH.

For (4) I think there's a diazonium ion involved but I dunno what the nucleophile would be that kicks -N2+ out.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Organic Chemistry problems (help pr0x)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »
You got 1) half right.  There are two products.  You need to include the second product.  Since you understood that the reaction goes through a benzyne intermediate, I'm sure you can figure out the other product if you draw the benzyne.

2) When you change R to -NO2, you now have EWG's instead of EDG's, so when you form the benzyne, you get addition to one site instead of at both sites like you did in 1)

3) Pd cross-coupling reaction

4) Yup, start by making a diazonium ion.  Not all diazonium ions kick off N2.  Look up the synthesis of methyl orange and see if that give you any ideas.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
 :o

I...

I lyke toitles.

Your brains are sexy. Give them to me.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »
Thanks doc. I did have to submit it last night but I was able to figure them out in time. We actually made methyl orange in lab, so for (4) I picked the answer that contained a azo group connecting two benzenes.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges